Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Free Agent wish list

(01-21-2021, 05:09 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(01-21-2021, 04:07 PM)D6 Wrote: With Joe Cullen becoming the Jaguars new Defensive Coordinator,  Ravens edge player Matt Judon easily could be a FA priority for the Jags if Baltimore doesn't use the Franchise Tag on him again.

Perhaps.

But I wonder how the OLB rotation goes?

Does Judon or Allen go to ROLB?

Does Chaisson go to the bench or does he get cut?

How do you like the Campbell hire?

So much could depend on the opponent in a given game. Each of the edge rushers has different skill levels that the coaches can identify.  The value of an edge rusher who has abilities to be a key contributor on both the Right and Left sides ( and even more so also inside in expected passing downs) is much greater than an edge rusher without versatility.

Ideally, a team has quality depth on the edge, both because of the injury factor and to help keep the starters fresh.  For a team like the Jaguars, which plays many games in high heat and humid conditions, quality depth on the edge and the D-Line interior is that much more important.

Dan Campbell was my top choice of the candidates the Lions interviewed or reportedly were interested in having at least one interview with. Eric Bieniemy being a close 2nd. Campbell is the antithesis of Matt Patricia.  His desire to be the Head Coach of the Detroit Lions is something that has substantial added value.

Interestingly, when Dan Campbell was with the Lions as a TE,  in practice he went up against the Joe Cullen led Defensive Line.  Campbell and Cullen bring an enormous amount of passion and intensity to the mix. 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 01-22-2021, 02:32 AM by D6.)

(01-22-2021, 12:30 AM)Upper Wrote: We're going to get linked with Golladay a lot in FA since we hired Bevell I bet.

Very understandably. When relatively healthy, Kenny Golladay was a differential WR with Darrell Bevell as Lions Offensive Coordinator.  My assessment of Golladay is he doesn't get much separation. But he's an elite receiver in contested catch situations, especially deep. Golladay is also excellent in coming down in bounds along the sideline. Plus, he's an asset as a blocker.

I think there's a better than 50 % chance ( probably around 60 % ) that the Lions use the Franchise Tag on Golladay. With around a 50-50 chance he's with the Lions beyond the 2021 Draft.  The Lions salary cap situation is far from ideal.  There's likely going to be a number of quality WRs  from other teams on the open FA market .  

In addition to Golladay, DE Romeo Okwara is scheduled to be a high demand UFA if he hits the open market . I'm anticipating a few Salary Cap Casualties with the Lions this off-season.  With the new regime, led by GM Brad Holmes and HC Dan Campbell now in place,  it's very difficult to predict accurately what direction Holmes & Campbell will be going in.

(01-22-2021, 12:30 AM)Upper Wrote: We're going to get linked with Golladay a lot in FA since we hired Bevell I bet.

Golladay, Sanu, Jones, and Amendola are all FA.

(01-21-2021, 06:36 PM)JagFan81 Wrote:
(01-21-2021, 06:21 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: Why, just why? no thanks, not even if he we can get him for a cheap contract (he is gonna ask for a lot).

Hes still only 24, nowhere near his peak and has real talent. Im a bit worried with the over the top antics and twitter stuff but hes also 24.

Can't deny the dudes talent, but i do question his drive and dedication. He recently started up his own gaming team, Team Diverge. Hes been on a few teams competing in call of duty for some tournaments, been apart of one of the biggest gaming orgs Faze, streaming game play etc. Building up his brand and having a hobby is fine, but theres alot of work involved. Trying to do both at once seems like alot. Football is where hes going to make the most money initially, seems like he should focus more on that than gaming right now.
In Dougie I Trust!

(01-22-2021, 07:22 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:

Golladay, Sanu, Jones, and Amendola are all FA.

How do you let all of your best receivers contracts expire in the same year? That seems inexcusable. They gotta go WR early in the draft.

I think Marvin Jones more than Golladay.

(01-21-2021, 05:09 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(01-21-2021, 04:07 PM)D6 Wrote: With Joe Cullen becoming the Jaguars new Defensive Coordinator,  Ravens edge player Matt Judon easily could be a FA priority for the Jags if Baltimore doesn't use the Franchise Tag on him again.

Perhaps.

But I wonder how the OLB rotation goes?

Does Judon or Allen go to ROLB?

Does Chaisson go to the bench or does he get cut?

How do you like the Campbell hire?

Confused Confused
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

(This post was last modified: 01-22-2021, 12:40 PM by imtheblkranger.)

(01-22-2021, 11:19 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
I think Marvin Jones more than Golladay.

https://twitter.com/BigCatCountry/status...16163?s=20

Marvin Jones tweet was in response to one about us hiring Bevell

(01-22-2021, 11:16 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(01-22-2021, 07:22 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Golladay, Sanu, Jones, and Amendola are all FA.

How do you let all of your best receivers contracts expire in the same year? That seems inexcusable. They gotta go WR early in the draft.

Though M. Sanu was an in-season addition, what you mentioned is one of many reasons why Bob Quinn needed to be replaced as Lions GM.  

To Quinn's credit ( Darrell Bevell and WR Coach Robert Prince as well ),  the one WR who is under contract for 2021, Quentez Cephus, looks like a very good 5th Round value selection. Cephus made major strides late in the 2020 season and will likely be viewed as a piece to the puzzle of the new regime. 

(01-22-2021, 03:57 PM)D6 Wrote:
(01-22-2021, 11:16 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: How do you let all of your best receivers contracts expire in the same year? That seems inexcusable. They gotta go WR early in the draft.

Though M. Sanu was an in-season addition, what you mentioned is one of many reasons why Bob Quinn needed to be replaced as Lions GM.  

To Quinn's credit ( Darrell Bevell and WR Coach Robert Prince as well ),  the one WR who is under contract for 2021, Quentez Cephus, looks like a very good 5th Round value selection. Cephus made major strides late in the 2020 season and will likely be viewed as a piece to the puzzle of the new regime. 

Cephus has always been a talented WR. It was the off the field stuff that worried a lot of teams. If he can stay out of trouble. He's a good player.

(01-22-2021, 04:27 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(01-22-2021, 03:57 PM)D6 Wrote: Though M. Sanu was an in-season addition, what you mentioned is one of many reasons why Bob Quinn needed to be replaced as Lions GM.  

Cephus has always been a talented WR. It was the off the field stuff that worried a lot of teams. If he can stay out of trouble. He's a good player.

Agreed.

The Lions got a huge break that Cephus ran a very slow 40 at the Combine.  Even with many, if not most NFL teams being concerned about the character risk factor, he very likely would have gone well before the 5th Round if he had a much better 40 time in Indianapolis.

(This post was last modified: 01-22-2021, 06:01 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(01-22-2021, 05:21 PM)D6 Wrote:
(01-22-2021, 04:27 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Cephus has always been a talented WR. It was the off the field stuff that worried a lot of teams. If he can stay out of trouble. He's a good player.

Agreed.

The Lions got a huge break that Cephus ran a very slow 40 at the Combine.  Even with many, if not most NFL teams being concerned about the character risk factor, he very likely would have gone well before the 5th Round if he had a much better 40 time in Indianapolis.

Agreed. Teams place too much emphasis on a WR's speed. For every Tyreek Hill or Randy Moss, there are 10 fast WR's that fail in the NFL. Just look at Jerry Rice. The guy ran a 4.71 and is considered the GOAT. Great hands, route running and the ability to find seams and get open, beat speed any day. I've seen guys that have tons of speed, but could only run in a straight line and had hands of stone. Speed is great, but it's a bonus. It isn't the most important thing.

(This post was last modified: 01-22-2021, 07:43 PM by Flagler Jagsfan.)

Jonu Smith. Can we please find a way to utilize the TE position? We'll now have a QB that finds an open receiver or a mismatched and open TE, and hit them in stride.

From the Detroit tree we should only target Golladay. He is a BEAST... Jones? Big no thanks to that.

(This post was last modified: 01-22-2021, 09:13 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(01-22-2021, 08:36 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: From the Detroit tree we should only target Golladay. He is a BEAST... Jones? Big no thanks to that.

Yiu act like Jones isn't good lol.  He's had 9 TDs in 3 of the last 4 years and it would be 4 straight if he wasn't hurt in 18. He's been very consistent  throughout his career

(01-22-2021, 09:09 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(01-22-2021, 08:36 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: From the Detroit tree we should only target Golladay. He is a BEAST... Jones? Big no thanks to that.

Yiu act like Jones isn't good lol.  He's had 9 TDs in 3 of the last 4 years and it would be 4 straight if he wasn't hurt in 18. He's been very consistent  throughout his career

So I see you are a stat guy, doesn't really watch the games. Very well, sign him... STATS RULEEEE!

Jones is solid but on the wrong side of 30 now, I'd be happy with him on a deal with only 2 years guaranteed.

(This post was last modified: 01-23-2021, 12:54 AM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(01-22-2021, 07:41 PM)Flagler Jagsfan Wrote: Jonu Smith. Can we please find a way to utilize the TE position? We'll now have a QB that finds an open receiver or a mismatched and open TE, and hit them in stride.

Agreed. Jonnu Smith would be perfect.

I just don't see the need to waste a pick on another receiver. If we re-sign Cole, we are 4 deep at WR. Just give them a decent QB throwing to them. I really believe they will produce big numbers.

I don't think we need one of the Arob/Golladay/Godwin type stud FA, but I do think we need another starting outside WR. Marvin Jones, Corey Davis, or Curtis Samuel (hello Urban connection) would be good. Cole is just a guy and I think Shenault is going to struggle as a traditional outside WR, but he can be an awesome slot guy.

(01-23-2021, 01:31 AM)Upper Wrote: I don't think we need one of the Arob/Golladay/Godwin type stud FA, but I do think we need another starting outside WR. Marvin Jones, Corey Davis, or Curtis Samuel (hello Urban connection) would be good. Cole is just a guy and I think Shenault is going to struggle as a traditional outside WR, but he can be an awesome slot guy.
Samuel would be awesome. He can do just about everything. Rhule/Brady finally unlocked his potential