Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Joe Cullen hired as Jags DC! Looks like a 3-4 defense incoming

Personally i am stoked on this hire. He hasnt had a drink in 14 yrs is what i have heard. Most people have a few demons in the closet. His appears pretty well locked up. I am stoked to see some good agressive defense again hopefully.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Ravens fans dont like this hire

The sky is falling.....

Anyways I agree with FBT and agree it is a great hire, and to add, he brings more than just experience, he is used to winning, a winning culture, and helped prepare their defense to be ranked at the top of the NFL. He has been led by a great head coach and brings those habits and leadership with him.

I'm excited about this hire.
LOVE THEM JAGUARS!

(01-21-2021, 05:45 PM)Jagwired Wrote: Will the Offensive coordinator have any actual experience at the hired position? The head coach has none, the DC has none. I'm going to guess Nah.

On topic, I'm not sure how I feel about these personnel choices. These people better not fill the roster with a bunch of nonsense. Just because you have history with a guy doesn't mean he's a good GM.

I'm glad to get a winner and a good coach. I'm also glad he's in recovery. Makes me happy when people prosper and improve their lives.
[Image: giphy.gif]

Cullen is by far, the best hire we have made. Lets just hope we get the personnel to make this system work.

Read the Ravens message boards. They hate that they lost him. Thats good news for us
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

They need to pick their free agents and draft spots if we are using speed and 3-4 plans
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(This post was last modified: 01-21-2021, 09:22 PM by jaguarmvp.)

(01-21-2021, 09:04 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Cullen is by far, the best hire we have made. Lets just hope we get the personnel to make this system work.

I think Chassion and Allen are going to greatly benefit form a base 3-4/3-3-5.  These guys are better suited standing up and letting them use their athletic ability along with their instincts to rush the passer.  Myles Jack is flexible so will see him on most passing downs.

(01-21-2021, 09:14 PM)MoJagFan Wrote: They need to pick their free agents and draft spots if we are using speed and 3-4 plans

Myles Jack has experience inside.  With a proper beast at nosetackle eating double teams he will be free to roam the middle of the field. Shoebert is ok but agreed we could use an upgrade.

(This post was last modified: 01-21-2021, 10:52 PM by Dimson.)

(01-21-2021, 05:33 PM)Jagwired Wrote: "Yes, Let me get a Daves double combo please."

" Sir, why are you naked and more importantly  why do you have that baby turtle between your legs?"

(01-21-2021, 05:27 PM)Sibelius Wrote: And no incidences since then?
Hence the "might be" in my statement.

As a fellow recovering alcoholic, don't be a duck. He has stayed sober since then. Getting clean and staying clean is one of the hardest things you can ever do.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

Happy to be rid of Wash.

But wasn't overly thrilled with what Cullen managed to get out of the D-line when he was D-line coach in Jacksonville years ago... If I remember, he was a part of that awful stretch where no one could get to the QB ever. It's been about 10 years, so he could definitely have improved, but then again, it seems the Ravens are almost always consistently a top defensive team, so who knows who's really doing the work?

All that said, after watching Wash's defense these past few years, the bar isn't exactly set too high for Cullen. I hope he clears it with flying colors.
"The season's not over... we still have a bunch of games to lose..." - TemporaryName

"The middle of the field is like Narnia to us, we don't believe it really exists" - Marvsin

(01-21-2021, 10:47 PM)LMD Wrote: Happy to be rid of Wash.

But wasn't overly thrilled with what Cullen managed to get out of the D-line when he was D-line coach in Jacksonville years ago... If I remember, he was a part of that awful stretch where no one could get to the QB ever. It's been about 10 years, so he could definitely have improved, but then again, it seems the Ravens are almost always consistently a top defensive team, so who knows who's really doing the work?

All that said, after watching Wash's defense these past few years, the bar isn't exactly set too high for Cullen. I hope he clears it with flying colors.

Really?  Your going there?

The guy can't help we had no talent back then.  Coaching only does so much but the talent has to be there.  Look at Bellicheck this year.  The Goat won what 6 games this year?

I don’t remember where we ranked in sacks specifically, but he was here in 2011 when we had a top 10 defense iirc.

(01-21-2021, 10:53 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote:

Really?  Your going there?

The guy can't help we had no talent back then.  Coaching only does so much but the talent has to be there.  Look at Bellicheck this year.  The Goat won what 6 games this year?

He didn't get much, if anything, out of the limited talent he had either. Other than Mincey in 2011, no one on the defensive line got pressure. Heck, even Wash as d-line coach helped Andre Branch get 6 sacks in 2013. That'd be the second most sacks in a single season for any of Cullen's three years. And in 2014, Wash got 8.5 from Marks; 8 from the shell of Chris Clemons, and 6.5 from Ryan Davis.

I'm not saying Cullen's a bum who should get mugged outside the stadium or anything; I'm just saying I'm apprehensive. He did a lot with great players in Baltimore and not much with not-great players in Jacksonville ten years ago.

(01-21-2021, 11:04 PM)JagsFanClubOfMD Wrote:

I don’t remember where we ranked in sacks specifically, but he was here in 2011 when we had a top 10 defense iirc.

According to Profootballreference, the Jags rankings for Cullen's three years for sacks:

2010: 31/32 with 26 total sacks.
2011: 25/32 with 31 total sacks (with the caveat that team leader Jeremy Mincey had 8 and the next-highest players were Daryl Smith and Matt Roth with 3.5 each, so while Mincey had a great year, the rest of the d-line... didn't.).
2012: 32/32 with 20 total sacks.

But in fairness: the Jaguars totaled 14 sacks in 2009, the year before Cullen came. So perhaps I just allowed myself to get swept up in the hype after getting rid of Ted Monachino and have less-fond memories of Cullen because he didn't live up to overly lofty expectations.
"The season's not over... we still have a bunch of games to lose..." - TemporaryName

"The middle of the field is like Narnia to us, we don't believe it really exists" - Marvsin

(01-21-2021, 07:39 PM)FBT Wrote:
(01-21-2021, 05:21 PM)Jagwired Wrote: Again.....a big MEH. Seems dude might be a drunk.

Personal life
Cullen was fired shortly after his hire at the University of Mississippi after being charged with drunk and disorderly conduct after passing out in a local Subway.[3]
Cullen was arrested in 2006 for driving under the influence as the defensive line coach of the Detroit Lions. In another incident, also during the 2006 pre-season, he was arrested after he drove through a Wendy's drive-thru naked.[4] He was fined $20,000 and suspended for one game by the NFL for "conduct detrimental to the league" and sentenced by a judge to 10 days of community service and to attend Alcoholics Anonymous meetings.[5]

Because of something that happened 15 years ago?  This is your assessment?

He's had a couple of high profile jobs in the NFL since then, including his most recent stint in Baltimore.  

They ranked #2 overall in 2020 for defense.  #3 in 2019.  #2 in 2018.  #6 in 2017.  They've been top 10 in both passing and rushing defense over the past 3 years consistently.  Cullen's guys love to play for him.  

I know some here are excited about running a 3-4 defense.  Let's pump the brakes until we see what personnel he's going to be working with.  My guess is that we're going to be a much improved unit regardless of the scheme we run just because I think he'll be a tad more aggressive.

But hey, what do I know?  He's a drunk, right
People like that would execute someone for jaywalking. They want the worst for everyone.

Since he has never been anything but a DL coach, I wonder what defensive scheme he will use, hopefully he doesnt just use the same [BLEEP] Wash was. I wouldnt think a career DL coach would already have a play book sitting on a shelf  just hoping he got a DC job before he retired,

(01-21-2021, 11:42 PM)LMD Wrote:
(01-21-2021, 10:53 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: Really?  Your going there?

He didn't get much, if anything, out of the limited talent he had either. Other than Mincey in 2011, no one on the defensive line got pressure. Heck, even Wash as d-line coach helped Andre Branch get 6 sacks in 2013. That'd be the second most sacks in a single season for any of Cullen's three years. And in 2014, Wash got 8.5 from Marks; 8 from the shell of Chris Clemons, and 6.5 from Ryan Davis.  

I'm not saying Cullen's a bum who should get mugged outside the stadium or anything; I'm just saying I'm apprehensive. He did a lot with great players in Baltimore and not much with not-great players in Jacksonville ten years ago.

(01-21-2021, 11:04 PM)JagsFanClubOfMD Wrote: I don’t remember where we ranked in sacks specifically, but he was here in 2011 when we had a top 10 defense iirc.

According to Profootballreference, the Jags rankings for Cullen's three years for sacks:

2011: 25/32 with 31 total sacks (with the caveat that team leader Jeremy Mincey had 8 and the next-highest players were  Daryl Smith and Matt Roth with 3.5 each, so while Mincey had a great year, the rest of the d-line... didn't.).

But in fairness: the Jaguars totaled 14 sacks in 2009, the year before Cullen came. So perhaps I just allowed myself to get swept up in the hype after getting rid of Ted Monachino and have less-fond memories of Cullen because he didn't live up to overly lofty expectations.

He didn't have anyone who could rush the passer like Josh Allen.

Granted Allen like the rest of the team, had a disastrous year last year.

But in terms of physical ability, none of those guys in Cullen's first tenure here present what Allen presents.

Furthermore, if the reports of switching to a 3-4 are true, Allen will rush far more from a 2 point stance.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(01-22-2021, 01:33 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(01-21-2021, 11:42 PM)LMD Wrote: He didn't get much, if anything, out of the limited talent he had either. Other than Mincey in 2011, no one on the defensive line got pressure. Heck, even Wash as d-line coach helped Andre Branch get 6 sacks in 2013. That'd be the second most sacks in a single season for any of Cullen's three years. And in 2014, Wash got 8.5 from Marks; 8 from the shell of Chris Clemons, and 6.5 from Ryan Davis.  

2011: 25/32 with 31 total sacks (with the caveat that team leader Jeremy Mincey had 8 and the next-highest players were  Daryl Smith and Matt Roth with 3.5 each, so while Mincey had a great year, the rest of the d-line... didn't.).

He didn't have anyone who could rush the passer like Josh Allen.

Granted Allen like the rest of the team, had a disastrous year last year.

But in terms of physical ability, none of those guys in Cullen's first tenure here present what Allen presents.

Furthermore, if the reports of switching to a 3-4 are true, Allen will rush far more from a 2 point stance.
Chaisson as well

Meyer on the 3-4 defense

https://youtu.be/ppplmIpHDLk

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

He wasn't naked, he was nekkid
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption