Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
***Official Conference Championship Games***

(This post was last modified: 01-25-2021, 06:51 AM by SeldomRite.)

(01-24-2021, 11:01 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(01-24-2021, 10:56 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: Their future looks bright? They look like the 2017 Jaguars to me. Maybe they don't regress to that level, but they're a team without a true franchise QB. Teams that don't have franchise QBs don't sustain success. I could see them being back to having 5-6 win seasons after a couple of seasons.

I see Josh Allen soundly in the territory of franchise QB. Not all of them develop at the same speed. Mahomes came into the league plug and play ready. He has more tools, mental and physical, than most QBs, but it certainly doesn't disqualify Allen. Give the kid another season of development and he'll be taking this team to the post season more often than not.

It depends on what you think a franchise QB is. If you think guys like Matthew Stafford and Kirk Cousins are franchise QBs then you could call Josh Allen one, too. Personally I think the QB needs to lift the play of the rest of his team, not just be really good at running for first downs in a losing effort.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-25-2021, 06:50 AM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(01-24-2021, 11:01 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: I see Josh Allen soundly in the territory of franchise QB. Not all of them develop at the same speed. Mahomes came into the league plug and play ready. He has more tools, mental and physical, than most QBs, but it certainly doesn't disqualify Allen. Give the kid another season of development and he'll be taking this team to the post season more often than not.

It depends on what you think a franchise QB is. If you think guys like Matthew Stafford and Kirk Cousins are franchise QBs then you could call Josh Allen one, too. Personally I think the QB needs to lift the play of the rest of his team, not just be really good at running for first downs in a losing effort.

I think he's franchise in the aspect that he gives the Bills a consistent competitive chance at the post season. Barring injury, is there much doubt he'll have the Bills back in the running next season, or the next? He's not elite, but he's definitely a franchise foundation.

(01-25-2021, 08:04 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(01-25-2021, 06:50 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: It depends on what you think a franchise QB is. If you think guys like Matthew Stafford and Kirk Cousins are franchise QBs then you could call Josh Allen one, too. Personally I think the QB needs to lift the play of the rest of his team, not just be really good at running for first downs in a losing effort.

I think he's franchise in the aspect that he gives the Bills a consistent competitive chance at the post season. Barring injury, is there much doubt he'll have the Bills back in the running next season, or the next? He's not elite, but he's definitely a franchise foundation.

I see it the opposite. You say he gives them a chance to win, I say he doesn't mess things up, and there's a big difference between the two.

5-6 years ago there were people who thought Andy Dalton was a franchise QB, too. The real trouble for the bills comes when they have to pay him. They're probably going to pay him like an elite QB out of the sheer terror of having to go back to looking again. He's the next Tannehill in a league where you need the next Mahomes.

(01-25-2021, 08:15 AM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(01-25-2021, 08:04 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: I think he's franchise in the aspect that he gives the Bills a consistent competitive chance at the post season. Barring injury, is there much doubt he'll have the Bills back in the running next season, or the next? He's not elite, but he's definitely a franchise foundation.

I see it the opposite. You say he gives them a chance to win, I say he doesn't mess things up, and there's a big difference between the two.

5-6 years ago there were people who thought Andy Dalton was a franchise QB, too. The real trouble for the bills comes when they have to pay him. They're probably going to pay him like an elite QB out of the sheer terror of having to go back to looking again. He's the next Tannehill in a league where you need the next Mahomes.

I think if the Bills make careful selections about who's around him, they'll do good. You make a good point about raising the level of play of the team. Much of that, I believe, is force of personality. Allen doesn't give me a Field General vibe, but then again he's young. He took them to the wildcard playoff round last year and the conference championship this year. Time will tell.

Seeing Tampa and Buffalo going so far gives me hope for the poor, poor Jaguars though.

(This post was last modified: 01-25-2021, 09:00 AM by flgatorsandjags.)

(01-25-2021, 08:15 AM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(01-25-2021, 08:04 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: I think he's franchise in the aspect that he gives the Bills a consistent competitive chance at the post season. Barring injury, is there much doubt he'll have the Bills back in the running next season, or the next? He's not elite, but he's definitely a franchise foundation.

There isn't any question if Allen is a franchise QB.  He has improved every year and just took his team to a AFC Championship game, he's a top 5 QB and pretty much every thing you look for in a franchise QB.  You say you need a Mahomes but there is only 1 Mahomes, so no other team in the league should resign their QB since they don't Mahomes?  Some of the dumbest [BLEEP] I've heard.  And to compare Dalton to Allen is laughable, they are pretty much the complete opposite lol

(01-25-2021, 08:33 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(01-25-2021, 08:15 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: I see it the opposite. You say he gives them a chance to win, I say he doesn't mess things up, and there's a big difference between the two.

I think if the Bills make careful selections about who's around him, they'll do good. You make a good point about raising the level of play of the team. Much of that, I believe, is force of personality. Allen doesn't give me a Field General vibe, but then again he's young. He took them to the wildcard playoff round last year and the conference championship this year. Time will tell.

Seeing Tampa and Buffalo going so far gives me hope for the poor, poor Jaguars though.
Seeing Tom Brady going to his 10th SB gives you hope for the Jags?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-25-2021, 08:58 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(01-25-2021, 08:15 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: I see it the opposite. You say he gives them a chance to win, I say he doesn't mess things up, and there's a big difference between the two.

There isn't any question if Allen is a franchise QB.  He has improved every year and just took his team to a AFC Championship game, he's a top 5 QB and pretty much every thing you look for in a franchise QB.  You say you need a Mahomes but there is only 1 Mahomes, so no other team in the league should resign their QB since they don't Mahomes?  Some of the dumbest [BLEEP] I've heard.  And to compare Dalton to Allen is laughable, they are pretty much the complete opposite lol

(01-25-2021, 08:33 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: I think if the Bills make careful selections about who's around him, they'll do good. You make a good point about raising the level of play of the team. Much of that, I believe, is force of personality. Allen doesn't give me a Field General vibe, but then again he's young. He took them to the wildcard playoff round last year and the conference championship this year. Time will tell.

Seeing Tom Brady going to his 10th SB gives you hope for the Jags?

I reviewed my post carefully and did not see those words.

(01-25-2021, 06:50 AM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(01-24-2021, 11:01 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: I see Josh Allen soundly in the territory of franchise QB. Not all of them develop at the same speed. Mahomes came into the league plug and play ready. He has more tools, mental and physical, than most QBs, but it certainly doesn't disqualify Allen. Give the kid another season of development and he'll be taking this team to the post season more often than not.

Exactly.  That's why slow guys like DeShaun Watson aren't good QB's.  Can't win games.

(01-25-2021, 08:33 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:

Allen has insane arm strength, good size and decent athleticism (great for his size)

He needs to stop running so much or will end up burning out like Andrew Luck.

But his ox like arm and QB IQ will make him elite.
The size will help to in making him a Rothlesburger type fixture for the next 15 years.
And he has that Phil Rivers type moxie and competitiveness.

The one possible knock on Mahomes is he's on the smaller side for a modern NFL QB at 6 foot 2.
And that could leave him susceptible to injury or concussion syndrome.