Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Stock Market under President Biden

We still have a "fed"

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-27-2021, 04:11 PM)jj82284 Wrote: We still have a "fed"

Apparently the rioters at the Capitol didn't kill them either so I think the answer is yes.

Made a quick 1k on Sears in the kids accounts.

Bought at 42 cents, sold at 75 cents. This is fun.

Dot-com bubble coming with amateur "investors" gamblers playing in the stock market.  Quite a few people are going to lose an awful lot of money.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(This post was last modified: 01-27-2021, 04:50 PM by mal234.)

I remember when investing sites recommended Gamestop several weeks ago. It was very cheap then (under $15). I thought about buying some shares and adding to them but I didn't. One reason because they were having some bad publicity around this time. (I think due to Covid).

If I had bought shares I would have sold most of them this week. This stock's value along with some others people are running up is definitely inflated right now. I don,'t believe these stock prices.will hold. 

The people who will make money are people who thought these stocks would legitimately increase(like I could have done )and bought in at cheap prices. And are now selling them off.Or people who bought in when people started running them up artificially. It's a mistake for people to now start buying a bunch of these stocks at these way higher prices. If this happens and people hold too long they will lose money.

(This post was last modified: 01-27-2021, 05:17 PM by StroudCrowd1.)

Terrible day for the Biden stock market. Is this the start of the Biden bubble?

(01-27-2021, 04:48 PM)mal234 Wrote: I remember when investing sites recommended Gamestop several weeks ago. It was very cheap then (under $15). I thought about buying some shares and adding to them but I didn't. One reason because they were having some bad publicity around this time. (I think due to Covid).

If I had bought shares I would have sold most of them this week. This stock's value along with some others people are running up is definitely inflated right now. I don,'t believe these stock prices.will hold. 

The people who will make money are people who thought these stocks would legitimately increase(like I could have done )and bought in at cheap prices. And are now selling them off.Or people who bought in when people started running them up artificially. It's a mistake for people to now start buying a bunch of these stocks at these way higher prices. If this happens and people hold too long they will lose money.

It goes further than that.

In all reality there was probably not very many people that thought that a business like Gamestop would be successful and have the price of the stock "legitimately" increase.  In all reality this company as well as many others were pretty much on their way out.

What drove the artificial run-up is the fact that many institutional investors were expecting the company to fold and go under (which it still will) so they shorted the stock.

I'll give a VERY basic example.  Say company XYZ's stock price is $20 per share.  The company is not doing well and is on the verge of folding.  If somebody shorts the stock for say 100 shares it means that they are "borrowing" the stock valued at $20 per share thinking that it's going to go down so they essentially "borrowed" $2000.00 ($20 x 100).  When the price drops to say $10 per share they "pay their debt" by buying 100 shares, but since the price dropped from $20 to $10 they only pay $1000 and made the other $1000 from shorting it.  That's a VERY basic example of how shorting a stock works.

Cue the day traders/gamblers on Reddit, Facebook and other platforms.  They decide to buy the stock which drives the price up.  The stock goes to say $30 per share so the institutions that shorted it have to "pay their debt" and end up losing $1000 since "paying their debt" means that they have to buy their 100 shares at market price ($30 per share).  This in turn creates more "demand" for the stock so the price continues to go up and the cycle continues.

The problem is that as the stock price goes up, people "buy in" and drive the stock price even higher.  However, the business model of the company is such that it loses money and is going to fold.  When that happens, people that own the stock will find out that it's basically worthless.

Again, this is a VERY BASIC explanation of what is happening.  If it's just one or two stocks it's not a big deal.  When it starts happening to groups of stocks it is a bigger deal.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(01-27-2021, 05:16 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Terrible day for the Biden stock market. Is this the start of the Biden bubble?

It has nothing to do with President Biden and everything to do with amateurs "having fun" with penny stocks.

(01-27-2021, 04:36 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: Dot-com bubble coming with amateur "investors" gamblers playing in the stock market.  Quite a few people are going to lose an awful lot of money.

I agree.

(01-27-2021, 05:50 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(01-27-2021, 04:48 PM)mal234 Wrote: I remember when investing sites recommended Gamestop several weeks ago. It was very cheap then (under $15). I thought about buying some shares and adding to them but I didn't. One reason because they were having some bad publicity around this time. (I think due to Covid).

In all reality there was probably not very many people that thought that a business like Gamestop would be successful and have the price of the stock "legitimately" increase.  In all reality this company as well as many others were pretty much on their way out.

What drove the artificial run-up is the fact that many institutional investors were expecting the company to fold and go under (which it still will) so they shorted the stock.

I'll give a VERY basic example.  Say company XYZ's stock price is $20 per share.  The company is not doing well and is on the verge of folding.  If somebody shorts the stock for say 100 shares it means that they are "borrowing" the stock valued at $20 per share thinking that it's going to go down so they essentially "borrowed" $2000.00 ($20 x 100).  When the price drops to say $10 per share they "pay their debt" by buying 100 shares, but since the price dropped from $20 to $10 they only pay $1000 and made the other $1000 from shorting it.  That's a VERY basic example of how shorting a stock works.

Cue the day traders/gamblers on Reddit, Facebook and other platforms.  They decide to buy the stock which drives the price up.  The stock goes to say $30 per share so the institutions that shorted it have to "pay their debt" and end up losing $1000 since "paying their debt" means that they have to buy their 100 shares at market price ($30 per share).  This in turn creates more "demand" for the stock so the price continues to go up and the cycle continues.

The problem is that as the stock price goes up, people "buy in" and drive the stock price even higher.  However, the business model of the company is such that it loses money and is going to fold.  When that happens, people that own the stock will find out that it's basically worthless.

Again, this is a VERY BASIC explanation of what is happening.  If it's just one or two stocks it's not a big deal.  When it starts happening to groups of stocks it is a bigger deal.

It's not really that basic of an example, it's pretty much exactly what's happening but in much larger volumes and with large hedge funds being the ones shorting the stock.

I kind of think it's hilarious, a bunch of nerds on reddit are costing a bunch of billionaires on wall street a lot of money.

(01-27-2021, 05:56 PM)KingIngram052787 Wrote:
(01-27-2021, 05:50 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: It goes further than that.

It's not really that basic of an example, it's pretty much exactly what's happening but in much larger volumes and with large hedge funds being the ones shorting the stock.

I kind of think it's hilarious, a bunch of nerds on reddit are costing a bunch of billionaires on wall street a lot of money.

It's definitely hilarious, just a little rich for me personally.

(01-27-2021, 05:50 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:

That’s a good explanation.  I understand what you’re saying except one thing.  Are these Reddit people artificially inflating it because it’s been shorted? Make money and screw some investor over? Is this something that’s mutually exclusive or no? one doesn’t need to happen for the other to happen, right?

This guy on Reddit is killing it!

https://i.redd.it/a309gkm5yxd61.png

[Image: 5487797-C-BF42-420-D-8448-F28-B59282-A39.jpg]
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

(01-27-2021, 06:08 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote: This guy on Reddit is killing it!

Wow.  That’s insane

(01-27-2021, 06:12 PM)Jags Wrote:
(01-27-2021, 06:08 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote: This guy on Reddit is killing it!

Wow.  That’s insane
All from a 50k investment.

(01-27-2021, 05:56 PM)KingIngram052787 Wrote: It's not really that basic of an example, it's pretty much exactly what's happening but in much larger volumes and with large hedge funds being the ones shorting the stock.

It is kind of funny on the surface, but don't expect it to last long.  Trust me, it's not just a "bunch of billionaires on wall street" losing a lot of money.  Many don't realize that their 401k's probably have a stake in some of the hedge funds that took a huge loss.

Research the dot-com bubble in the late 1990's.

The other thing to look at is the amount of "borrowed" money in the stock market right now.

(01-27-2021, 06:21 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(01-27-2021, 05:56 PM)KingIngram052787 Wrote: It's not really that basic of an example, it's pretty much exactly what's happening but in much larger volumes and with large hedge funds being the ones shorting the stock.

It is kind of funny on the surface, but don't expect it to last long.  Trust me, it's not just a "bunch of billionaires on wall street" losing a lot of money.  Many don't realize that their 401k's probably have a stake in some of the hedge funds that took a huge loss.

Research the dot-com bubble in the late 1990's.

The other thing to look at is the amount of "borrowed" money in the stock market right now.

I doubt many of those kids on Reddit doing this stuff have 401Ks to worry about.

(01-27-2021, 06:01 PM)Jags Wrote: That’s a good explanation.  I understand what you’re saying except one thing.  Are these Reddit people artificially inflating it because it’s been shorted? Make money and screw some investor over? Is this something that’s mutually exclusive or no? one doesn’t need to happen for the other to happen, right?

Just my opinion and guess.  I think that the Reddit people (and others) started playing a very dangerous game that they (as well as many others) will lose.  Sure some of them might make some money in all of this, but what is happening is heading towards another big crash.

(This post was last modified: 01-27-2021, 06:49 PM by HURRICANE!!!.)

(01-27-2021, 06:01 PM)Jags Wrote:
(01-27-2021, 05:50 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: It goes further than that.

That’s a good explanation.  I understand what you’re saying except one thing.  Are these Reddit people artificially inflating it because it’s been shorted? Make money and screw some investor over? Is this something that’s mutually exclusive or no? one doesn’t need to happen for the other to happen, right?

That was a great explanation, comparable to the one I heard on CNBC today.

Yes, the investors on Reddit conspired to target companies that have been extensively shorted, knowing those that are taking the hit will need to buy more stock (as it is going up) to hedge their losses. As such they actually created a big time demand coming from the ones that got screwed the most.

The people that came up with this are math/finance wizards so I personally think it's ignorant to call the Reddit group of investors amateurs and such.

(01-27-2021, 06:28 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(01-27-2021, 06:01 PM)Jags Wrote: That’s a good explanation.  I understand what you’re saying except one thing.  Are these Reddit people artificially inflating it because it’s been shorted? Make money and screw some investor over? Is this something that’s mutually exclusive or no? one doesn’t need to happen for the other to happen, right?

Just my opinion and guess.  I think that the Reddit people (and others) started playing a very dangerous game that they (as well as many others) will lose.  Sure some of them might make some money in all of this, but what is happening is heading towards another big crash.

Disagree.  The Reddit investors got in early.  The short investors came in later and drove the price up even further.  There will be a selloff but by that time, the Reddit investors already made a ton of $$.

(01-27-2021, 06:46 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:

That was a great explanation, comparable to the one I heard on CNBC today.

Yes, the investors on Reddit conspired to target companies that have been extensively shorted, knowing those that are taking the hit will need to buy more stock (as it is going up) to hedge their losses. As such they actually created a big time demand coming from the ones that got screwed the most.

The people that came up with this are math/finance wizards so I personally think it's ignorant to call the Reddit group of investors amateurs and such.

Ok, that answers my question.   That what I thought.