Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Stock Market under President Biden

(This post was last modified: 06-22-2021, 12:14 PM by HURRICANE!!!.)

(06-22-2021, 11:07 AM)KingIngram052787 Wrote:
(06-22-2021, 11:03 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: I just added a small amount on GBTC (ETF) since fidelity does not allow me to invest directly in BTC-USD or DOGE --- even had to sign a risk disclosure prior to them accepting the transaction.

I've thought about doing the same, but I'm with Merrill in a taxable account.

I just added more since GBTC went up 1.5% in the 30 min since my initial investment.  Total investment ultimately adds up to one half of a bitcoin ... lol

Added .... now own the equivalent of 1 bitcoin and up 5% -- feels good to be rooting for this thing once and for all.  Prob won't feel the same if I wake up tomorrow to another plunge though.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Loading the boat on HIMS
Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

(This post was last modified: 07-10-2021, 11:18 AM by HURRICANE!!!.)

(07-09-2021, 12:23 PM)JaG4LyFe Wrote: Loading the boat on HIMS

I checked it out but deferred at this time.  I saw your post at the top of the spike so i was monitoring throughout Friday afternoon.

I've been loading up on ETFs, primarily SPY which is the SP500 and then added some EEM and EQAL (Emerging Markets and Russell 1000).  I also bought GBTC at the bitcoin low a few weeks ago.

I'm up 12.5% on the year whereas the SP500 is up 18%.  While it's fun to attempt to beat the core market, with the downturn of a few of my weed and battery stocks, I decided rebalance to less exciting investments (although I am riding out weed and battery ---TLRY,VFF,CGC,QS,PLUG)

..... also hanging on the CCL, NCLH, and RCL (and even bought a little more CCL at $23.60 so let's see where that goes) --- may be risky with the Delta Variant so I'll revisit on Monday @ 9:30am to see where it opens.

.... on a side note, our FL properties are on fire --- up 10% in the past 30 days and ~ 20-25% YTD !!  That can't last ... can it Smile

(07-10-2021, 11:12 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:

I checked it out but deferred at this time.  I saw your post at the top of the spike so i was monitoring throughout Friday afternoon.

I've been loading up on ETFs, primarily SPY which is the SP500 and then added some EEM and EQAL (Emerging Markets and Russell 1000).  I also bought GBTC at the bitcoin low a few weeks ago.

I'm up 12.5% on the year whereas the SP500 is up 18%.  While it's fun to attempt to beat the core market, with the downturn of a few of my weed and battery stocks, I decided rebalance to less exciting investments (although I am riding out weed and battery ---TLRY,VFF,CGC,QS,PLUG)

..... also hanging on the CCL, NCLH, and RCL (and even double downed on CCL at $23.60 so let's see where that goes) --- may be risky with the Delta Variant so I'll revisit on Monday @ 9:30am to see where it opens.

I foresee the cruise industry continue to tumble for the foreseeable future as they attempt to create a "class system" with vaccination status. Not to mention the panic that will ensue when they have a COVID outbreak on a ship in which nobody will due, bit panic will be insane. 

I plan on picking up a lot more CCL when it gets back to around 15. The middle class is dying to cruise if the Biden administration doesn't bury them first.

(This post was last modified: 07-10-2021, 12:01 PM by JaG4LyFe.)

(07-10-2021, 11:12 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:

..... also hanging on the CCL, NCLH, and RCL (and even bought a little more CCL at $23.60 so let's see where that goes) --- may be risky with the Delta Variant so I'll revisit on Monday @ 9:30am to see where it opens.

.... on a side note, our FL properties are on fire --- up 10% in the past 30 days and ~ 20-25% YTD !!  That can't last ... can it Smile

10 bucks is juicy IMO. This has short and long term potential. There is a possibility that this bleeds to 8 but I’m not waiting to buy that. I have 200 shares and 150 contracts spread out from August to the leap. 20/25c.

I have puts on the Banksters and I’m about to fire up the grill for puts on the REITs, So that should answer your question about that sizzling real estate market.
Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

(This post was last modified: 07-11-2021, 11:44 AM by HURRICANE!!!.)

(07-10-2021, 11:18 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: I foresee the cruise industry continue to tumble for the foreseeable future as they attempt to create a "class system" with vaccination status. Not to mention the panic that will ensue when they have a COVID outbreak on a ship in which nobody will due, bit panic will be insane. 

I plan on picking up a lot more CCL when it gets back to around 15. The middle class is dying to cruise if the Biden administration doesn't bury them first.

My heart won't be able to take a hit to $15/share.  That said, apparently investors didn't like the buy back at Market Value that was demanded but analysts on CNBC stated that was a good sign that the investors wouldn't accept lower since they anticipate shares getting back in excess of $35/share in the long term.  I thought we were heading there in the short term until a few weeks ago.

(07-10-2021, 11:35 AM)JaG4LyFe Wrote: 10 bucks is juicy IMO. This has short and long term potential. There is a possibility that this bleeds to 8 but I’m not waiting to buy that. I have 200 shares and 150 contracts spread out from August to the leap. 20/25c.

I have puts on the Banksters and I’m about to fire up the grill for puts on the REITs, So that should answer your question about that sizzling real estate market.

CNN Analysts have HIMS going to $14 within a year --- a 38% increase.  I may jump on some come Monday a.m.

https://money.cnn.com/quote/forecast/for...l?symb=OAC

(This post was last modified: 07-12-2021, 03:58 PM by HURRICANE!!!.)

I just added SPCE before the close as it is down 17% today.  I expected a banner day after the successful flight but they announced they'd be selling $500 million in stock which caused todays selloff.   I'm hoping for a 5% recovery tomorrow then I'll sell.

Kind of sucks for those who had invested in the company only to get hit with this after a great weekend ...

I did end up dumping my cruise line stocks mid-day yesterday as well as SPCE with a 4% loss -- SPCE is down 36% this week. Still amazed how a successful journey to space turned out to screw the shareholders by Virgin offering more shares to raise capital

(This post was last modified: 07-15-2021, 06:13 PM by captivating.)

(07-15-2021, 10:48 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: I did end up dumping my cruise line stocks mid-day yesterday as well as SPCE with a 4% loss -- SPCE is down 36% this week.  Still amazed how a successful journey to space turned out to screw the shareholders by Virgin offering more shares to raise capital

Buy on rumor, sell on news.

You should have sold them before the launch

CCL coming down to 15

(This post was last modified: 07-16-2021, 12:08 PM by HURRICANE!!!.)

(07-15-2021, 06:11 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: CCL coming down to 15

[BLEEP] Delta Variant is a major setback to the industry.  Unfortunately, they need to rely on 100% passenger non-Covid results which is next to impossible if each passenger needs to test negative prior to boarding.

My little investment in weed stocks (TLRY, VFF, and CGC) are taking a beating.  It may be time to double down soon as the US may be taking action to ease restrictions state by state.

CNBC analysts stated Oil stocks should on the rise in the upcoming weeks --- i didn't really catch it but apparently if the barrel stays at relatively the same price (as anticipated), stocks should go up.

(07-15-2021, 04:53 PM)captivating Wrote:
(07-15-2021, 10:48 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: I did end up dumping my cruise line stocks mid-day yesterday as well as SPCE with a 4% loss -- SPCE is down 36% this week.  Still amazed how a successful journey to space turned out to screw the shareholders by Virgin offering more shares to raise capital

Buy on rumor, sell on news.

You should have sold them before the launch

To me that is crazy but obviously true.  I didn't own prior to the launch and could only think over the weekend that I should have bought as I was expecting a huge spike on Monday.  As noted, I bought the dip when it dropped 15%+ but didn't realize that wasn't the bottom.  I only lost 4% whereas the stock is down 38% in total this week and still dropping.

I would like to ask all you guys, who are dabbling in the market and posting here, a few simple questions.

1) What causes a stock to go up or down in the short term ( a day or a week, for example) ?

2) What causes a stock to go up or down over the long term ( a few years) ?

3) If a stock goes down, does that increase the odds that it will go up ?

I have a strong impression that the ones of you who post the most in this thread don't know the answers to these questions.

(This post was last modified: 07-16-2021, 01:39 PM by StroudCrowd1.)

(07-16-2021, 01:24 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: I would like to ask all you guys, who are dabbling in the market and posting here, a few simple questions.  

1)  What causes a stock to go up or down in the short term ( a day or a week, for example) ?  

I have a strong impression that the ones of you who post the most in this thread don't know the answers to these questions.

Personally, my investments are based on historically strong companies and just using my gut instincts, specifically around the industry I work in. I also prefer stocks that pay a dividend at my age if it works out that way.

One example of using my industry instincts is we used OKTA very early on in its existence and I knew they would become a massive cloud identity/access management company with the way everything is headed to the cloud, so I invested heavily when their IPO came out around 2017 I think it was. Another stock I love is LTC and picked that up in 2000 on a tip from my dad at the time. It pays a great dividend and people will continue to get old.

As far as what causes a stock to go up and down: panic/excitement over an event 100% unrelated to the stock itself or anything the company does, or earnings reports.

If a stock goes down and you believe in it, you can pick up more to lower your cost basis. This is exactly what I am doing with CCL. 

Meme stocks are just fun. I equate it to a Vegas gambling trip.

(07-16-2021, 01:24 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: I would like to ask all you guys, who are dabbling in the market and posting here, a few simple questions.  

1)  What causes a stock to go up or down in the short term ( a day or a week, for example) ?  

The simple answer?  Supply and demand, just like anything else.

(07-16-2021, 01:42 PM)KingIngram052787 Wrote:

The simple answer?  Supply and demand, just like anything else.

I had a feeling someone would give that answer, and while it is correct, what I am looking for is, what causes the supply/demand equation for a particular stock to change, to the point where the price of the stock goes up or down?

(This post was last modified: 07-16-2021, 01:54 PM by HURRICANE!!!.)

Question --- are you up 13.58% or greater this year?  Bottom line, there is no single answer to any of those questions.  Personally, understanding the mentality of the current investors plays a big role in short term investments as do regulations, companies using added shares to pay off debt, etc.  This is why people like Warren Buffett sell airlines stocks in May 2020 and why I buy airline stocks in Sept 2020 - he doesn't understand the mind of the young wealthy investors.

(07-16-2021, 01:49 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:

Question --- are you up 13.58% or greater this year?  Bottom line, there is no single answer to any of those questions.  Personally, understanding the mentality of the current investors plays a big role in short term investments --- this is what makes stocks like Peloton what it is.  This is why people like Warren Buffett sell airlines stocks in Sept 2020 and why I buy airline stocks in Sept 2020.

You don't know the answers to those questions.

(This post was last modified: 07-16-2021, 01:57 PM by TrivialPursuit.)

Consumer Confidence in the product or service that is being offered.

If a Boeing Passenger plane goes down, the stock is going to take a huge hit; invest then. Wait a few months and it's exactly where it was before the crash.

(This post was last modified: 07-16-2021, 02:01 PM by HURRICANE!!!.)

(07-16-2021, 01:53 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(07-16-2021, 01:49 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Question --- are you up 13.58% or greater this year?  Bottom line, there is no single answer to any of those questions.  Personally, understanding the mentality of the current investors plays a big role in short term investments --- this is what makes stocks like Peloton what it is.  This is why people like Warren Buffett sell airlines stocks in Sept 2020 and why I buy airline stocks in Sept 2020.

I know I'm up 13.58% YTD and up 62% since the March 2020 crash so there's something to be said about that.

Personally, I actually get a lot of my investment tips from the CNBC analysts (that I have on in the background all day).  They get paid millions, as former wall street experts, and do the legwork for me.  Kind of like my free personal investment consultants.

For those of you that stayed in your conservative funds during a market boom, you can answer every single question but if you don't take a risk, you're flat out of luck.  So many dumb [BLEEP] didn't even get into tech during the boom.

(07-16-2021, 01:53 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(07-16-2021, 01:49 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Question --- are you up 13.58% or greater this year?  Bottom line, there is no single answer to any of those questions.  Personally, understanding the mentality of the current investors plays a big role in short term investments --- this is what makes stocks like Peloton what it is.  This is why people like Warren Buffett sell airlines stocks in Sept 2020 and why I buy airline stocks in Sept 2020.

Why don't you enlighten us.