Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Stafford to Rams

(01-31-2021, 05:46 AM)CanDoBetter Wrote: I guess the way to look at it is that the Rams paid the Lions to take Goff's contract. For the Lions it won't matter as much since they're in another rebuild again. If Goff turns out good in their system then even better.

This was definitely looks like a contract dump.

If I were the rams and truly looking to improve my QB position, I would be going after someone like Watson. He would be worth the trade picks.

We are outsiders looking in. We really don't know what was reasonably available or the thought process behind the move. Maybe freeing up 25 mil was was considered more important than landing a top notch QB because it means they have money to maintain other important positions on there roster which they may consider more important for their overall team philosophy.

Who knows at this point.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 01-31-2021, 08:12 AM by The Real Marty.)

(01-30-2021, 11:10 PM)CSTblank Wrote: As I posted in the other thread, how can the Rams think they have no need for 1st rounders anymore.

Basically they have 4 first rounders invested in 2 players at this point

Four late first round picks for two premium players.

I really think the Rams got the better of this deal.  Stafford is a much much better QB than Goff.  And the picks will be at the end of the first round.  Plus, Goff has a huge contract.

Something that also needs to be noted is that these most likely very late first round picks are in 2022 and 2023.  That makes them worth substantially less than if they were in 2021 and 2022.

(01-31-2021, 01:52 AM)HandsomeRob86 Wrote:
(01-31-2021, 01:51 AM)jaglyn Wrote: Apparently the Rams don’t like 1st Round Picks

I mean would you give a couple low first round picks for hall of fame level talent? That’s the question, and yes I think Stanford will be that level on a team like the rams instead of the lions. Obviously Ramsey is the other one. I don’t know of any GM who consistently hits that level of talent in the late first round. Draft picks are valued too high in the NFL sometimes. It’s not like the NBA where there is usually a huge drop off between the first pick and the next.

I would definitely give a couple of low first rounders for a HOF QB, but that didn't happen here. The Rams dumped a huge salary of a mediocre QB and gave up a multitude of picks to get a good, not great QB in return. I don't think this trade impacts either team's 2021 season's much. I still see Seattle winning the NFC West rather easily. The Rams may sneak into the playoffs as a wildcard, but they won't go far and the window of opportunity for them just got very, very small. It's basically win a Superbowl now, or never. As for Detroit, they weren't gonna be good in 2021 anyway. At least now they have ammunition to build for the future. They are locked into Goff's deal until after the 2022 season, but with 2 first round picks in 2022 and 2023, they can find their QB of the future and rebuild other areas of need. I definitely see this as a win of the Lions.

What a colossal blunder by the Rams. This just shows a string of idiotic moves and are the Rams admitting that they made a huge mistake in drafting Goff #1 overall.

Blunder #1:
2016: Rams trade up with Titans from #15 to #1 overall to select Goff
Give up:
Rams #15 overall number 1 pick
Two second round picks
Third round pick
2017 number one pick
2017 third round pick

Nothing stood out about Goff, was projected as a late 1st pick, didn't have any athletic or size measurables at the combine. Isn't a generational talent.

Blunder #2:
Re-singing Goff to that huge balloon contract

Blunder #3:
Trading a boat load of picks for Stafford

Lions got a huge windfall. They can eat Goff's contract as they tank for the next couple years.
And have all these picks.
All this with a player who didn't want to be in Detroit.

Rams board is melting down giving up so many picks and Goff for a 30 year old QB:
https://ramsondemand.com/threads/staffor...ick.63666/

This is good news for us as well. Was quite worried the Colts might trade for Stafford and with a QB they could be very very good. Now it’s unlikely they will be able to get a vet QB as even if Watson is moved they would never do it to a divisional rival.

Are the Rams really not going to have a 1st round pick until 2025?

(01-31-2021, 11:13 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Are the Rams really not going to have a 1st round pick until 2025?

They're mortgaging their future for success today. Given the history of football teams in LA, the Chargers might have sole rights to play at SoFi stadium in a few years. 

I've always been under the impression that two football teams in LA was a temporary arrangement until one can find a more solid base. The Rams might be the next team to move. The Chargers still have a regional fanbase to build on.

I did not think that the Rams would be able to move that contract, so kudos to them for getting the deal done.
Respect the game.  Play with a sense of urgency. 

1.)  Take care of the ball.  Win the turnover battle.

2.)  It's all about 3rd down.  Win on 3rd down to win the game.

3.) Playmakers make plays.  The only reason that you put your uniform on is to make plays. In order to EARN your paycheck, you must make plays.  

Yea but is Stafford going to now demand a new contract. If not this year then probably next year. So a one year break on the cap hit?

(01-31-2021, 06:21 AM)Predator Wrote:
(01-31-2021, 05:46 AM)CanDoBetter Wrote: I guess the way to look at it is that the Rams paid the Lions to take Goff's contract. For the Lions it won't matter as much since they're in another rebuild again. If Goff turns out good in their system then even better.

This was definitely looks like a contract dump.

If I were the rams and truly looking to improve my QB position, I would be going after someone like Watson. He would be worth the trade picks.

We are outsiders looking in. We really don't know what was reasonably available or the thought process behind the move. Maybe freeing up 25 mil was was considered more important than landing a top notch QB because it means they have money to maintain other important positions on there roster which they may consider more important for their overall team philosophy.

Who knows at this point.
Their cap situation was terrible. If they didn't cut salary somewhere a bunch of players would have been cut.

Their problem is they gave up 1st round picks that should get you a cheap good player for 4-5 years. Now they still don't have cap and have to pay more for FAs or current players.

Sent from my SM-T970 using Tapatalk

(This post was last modified: 01-31-2021, 03:26 PM by rpr52121.)

(01-31-2021, 03:10 PM)p_rushing Wrote:
(01-31-2021, 06:21 AM)Predator Wrote: This was definitely looks like a contract dump.

Who knows at this point.
Their cap situation was terrible. If they didn't cut salary somewhere a bunch of players would have been cut.

Their problem is they gave up 1st round picks that should get you a cheap good player for 4-5 years. Now they still don't have cap and have to pay more for FAs or current players.

But this is NOT a salary dump. They now have Staffords contract ($20 million) and a $22 million dead cap hit. Plus cutting nearly any their big money players would only increase dead cap issues.

They would have to do major contract re-structures that will only make their cap issues persist for many more years, or cut all those "depth" players like Higbee, Brockers, Whitworth, etc. that make their team work.

Best case scenario, they restructure everyone left they can for 1 year to fit everyone under the cap and win a SB next year, and then spend 3-4 years in even worse cap situation but they have a title to show for it. Basically they have no long term plan.

(01-31-2021, 11:13 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Are the Rams really not going to have a 1st round pick until 2025?

At least until 2024, barring a trade.

It wouldn't surprise me that the LA Rams, at least 7 straight seasons without a 1st Round pick, would be a record not only in the NFL, but in all professional sports leagues.  

Rams set to go 7 years without a first-round pick (usatoday.com)

These are some of my thoughts about the trade from a Lions fan perspective:

This looks like a good trade for the Lions. While the two future 1st Round picks are probably both going to be in the latter half of the Round, it's not going to be easy for the Rams to get to the Super Bowl in the next two seasons. The NFC West is a strong division from top to bottom. Not to mention competition from some other NFC teams. If the Rams don't win a playoff game, the pick in the draft that follows will be between # 19 and # 24. There's probably at least a 45 % chance that the Rams don't get to the 2nd Round of the playoffs in one of the two seasons the Lions have their 1st Round pick in the following draft.

The 3rd Round pick the Lions are receiving from the Rams in the 2021 Draft puts the Lions in a much better position for the 2021 Draft.

Jared Goff has been trashed by many of late, especially in relationship to his contract. Though Goff hasn't come close to playing up to the contract extension he signed before the start of the 2019 regular season, he's not a bottom tier starting QB. Goff is probably somewhere in the middle tier. At least the Lions should be watchable in the 2021 season. That wouldn't have been the case with Chase Daniel as the Lions starting QB.

Goff gives the Lions draft leverage. If there isn't a QB who warrants pick # 7 in the 2021 Draft, the Lions can either select a higher ranked player or trade down if an opportunity presents itself. The Lions can also trade up for a QB. But Goff being on the roster increases the chances that the Lions don't significantly overpay in trading up for a QB.

Based on what happens in the 2021 season, how to proceed with Jared Goff in the 2022 off-season will be clearer than it's now.

(01-31-2021, 01:39 AM)Eric1 Wrote: Lions basically got that second 1st round pick to take on Goff and eat his $43m+. Not really for Stafford himself.

https://twitter.com/MySportsUpdate/statu...7356119040
https://twitter.com/MySportsUpdate/statu...5508184065

Agreed.

Yet, some of the benefits of having Jared Goff in 2021 are the Lions have more draft flexibility, an experienced winning QB who is in the early part of his prime, and if the Lions do draft a QB in the top 2 Rounds ( QB of the future projection ), the Lions can more easily let him learn from the bench as a rookie.

As long as the clots didn’t get him I’m good

(01-31-2021, 03:20 PM)rpr52121 Wrote:
(01-31-2021, 03:10 PM)p_rushing Wrote: Their cap situation was terrible. If they didn't cut salary somewhere a bunch of players would have been cut.

But this is NOT a salary dump. They now have Staffords contract ($20 million) and a $22 million dead cap hit. Plus cutting nearly any their big money players would only increase dead cap issues.

They would have to do major contract re-structures that will only make their cap issues persist for many more years, or cut all those "depth" players like Higbee, Brockers, Whitworth, etc. that make their team work.

Best case scenario, they restructure everyone left they can for 1 year to fit everyone under the cap and win a SB next year, and then spend 3-4 years in even worse cap situation but they have a title to show for it. Basically they have no long term plan.
It is a salary dump. They trade a long contract for one they can cut loose after this season. They are going all in for the upcoming season. They also are saving a little in cap and freeing up the future.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

(01-31-2021, 01:39 AM)Eric1 Wrote: Lions basically got that second 1st round pick to take on Goff and eat his $43m+. Not really for Stafford himself.

https://twitter.com/MySportsUpdate/statu...7356119040
https://twitter.com/MySportsUpdate/statu...5508184065

Glad the Colts did not get Stafford, though it would have been nice to see them get fleeced like the Rams did.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Not only is this a good trade for the Rams, but they didn't really have a choice.  

There's no other way for them to upgrade their QB position for 2021 outside of giving up the future 1st rounders.  And they kept the rest of the team intact.

If they realistically wanted to draft a QB, they'd likely be giving up the 1st rounders anyway.  Plus he'd be a rookie.

For some reason I keep thinking Goff will surprise in Det