Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Stafford to Rams

(01-31-2021, 03:45 PM)D6 Wrote: These are some of my thoughts about the trade from a Lions fan perspective:

This looks like a good trade for the Lions. While the two future 1st Round picks are probably both going to be in the latter half of the Round, it's not going to be easy for the Rams to get to the Super Bowl in the next two seasons. The NFC West is a strong division from top to bottom. Not to mention competition from some other NFC teams. If the Rams don't win a playoff game, the pick in the draft that follows will be between # 19 and # 24. There's probably at least a 45 % chance that the Rams don't get to the 2nd Round of the playoffs in one of the two seasons the Lions have their 1st Round pick in the following draft.

The 3rd Round pick the Lions are receiving from the Rams in the 2021 Draft puts the Lions in a much better position for the 2021 Draft.

Jared Goff has been trashed by many of late, especially in relationship to his contract. Though Goff hasn't come close to playing up to the contract extension he signed before the start of the 2019 regular season, he's not a bottom tier starting QB. Goff is probably somewhere in the middle tier. At least the Lions should be watchable in the 2021 season. That wouldn't have been the case with Chase Daniel as the Lions starting QB.

Goff gives the Lions draft leverage. If there isn't a QB who warrants pick # 7 in the 2021 Draft, the Lions can either select a higher ranked player or trade down if an opportunity presents itself. The Lions can also trade up for a QB. But Goff being on the roster increases the chances that the Lions don't significantly overpay in trading up for a QB.

Based on what happens in the 2021 season, how to proceed with Jared Goff in the 2022 off-season will be clearer than it's now.

I got to say, Goff impressed me in the playoffs playing 2 games like 10 days after thumb surgery. He showed real courage there and he gets blamed any time McVay's O doesnt work but that's not been the same since Gurley went down before the SB.

The guy was a #1 pick and has been to a SB. I think it gives the Lions a solid QB and if you get lucky and he hits in Detroit, even better. 

I mean, would you say Goff is worse than Cousins or Trubisky?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-31-2021, 03:36 PM)D6 Wrote:
(01-31-2021, 11:13 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Are the Rams really not going to have a 1st round pick until 2025?

At least until 2024, barring a trade.

It wouldn't surprise me that the LA Rams, at least 7 straight seasons without a 1st Round pick, would be a record not only in the NFL, but in all professional sports leagues.  

Rams set to go 7 years without a first-round pick (usatoday.com)

Assuming no other trades and they go 7 years, they'd be tied for 2nd with Washington from 84-90.  First place also happens to be Washington, from 69-79.

Source

(01-31-2021, 07:27 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: For some reason I keep thinking Goff will surprise in Det

If Jared Goff ends up being a surprise with the Lions,  it probably will be in very large part because of a much more consistently effective running game.  

With Dan Campbell as HC, Anthony Lynn as OC, and Duce Staley as RB Coach / Assistant HC,  I'm anticipating a heavier emphasis on the Lions running game than in over 20 years. 

(This post was last modified: 01-31-2021, 09:14 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(01-31-2021, 09:09 PM)D6 Wrote:
(01-31-2021, 07:27 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: For some reason I keep thinking Goff will surprise in Det

If Jared Goff ends up being a surprise with the Lions,  it probably will be in very large part because of a much more consistently effective running game.  

With Dan Campbell as HC, Anthony Lynn as OC, and Duce Staley as RB Coach / Assistant HC,  I'm anticipating a heavier emphasis on the Lions running game than in over 20 years. 

Agreed, I think Hockenson will help him out as well for that safety blanket.  Stafford has never really utilized the TE position like he could have

(01-31-2021, 09:09 PM)D6 Wrote:

Agreed, I think Hockenson will help him out as well for that safety blanket.  Stafford has never really utilized the TE position like he could have

(01-31-2021, 07:59 PM)JagFan81 Wrote:
(01-31-2021, 03:45 PM)D6 Wrote: These are some of my thoughts about the trade from a Lions fan perspective:

This looks like a good trade for the Lions. While the two future 1st Round picks are probably both going to be in the latter half of the Round, it's not going to be easy for the Rams to get to the Super Bowl in the next two seasons. The NFC West is a strong division from top to bottom. Not to mention competition from some other NFC teams. If the Rams don't win a playoff game, the pick in the draft that follows will be between # 19 and # 24. There's probably at least a 45 % chance that the Rams don't get to the 2nd Round of the playoffs in one of the two seasons the Lions have their 1st Round pick in the following draft.

The 3rd Round pick the Lions are receiving from the Rams in the 2021 Draft puts the Lions in a much better position for the 2021 Draft.

Jared Goff has been trashed by many of late, especially in relationship to his contract. Though Goff hasn't come close to playing up to the contract extension he signed before the start of the 2019 regular season, he's not a bottom tier starting QB. Goff is probably somewhere in the middle tier. At least the Lions should be watchable in the 2021 season. That wouldn't have been the case with Chase Daniel as the Lions starting QB.

Goff gives the Lions draft leverage. If there isn't a QB who warrants pick # 7 in the 2021 Draft, the Lions can either select a higher ranked player or trade down if an opportunity presents itself. The Lions can also trade up for a QB. But Goff being on the roster increases the chances that the Lions don't significantly overpay in trading up for a QB.

Based on what happens in the 2021 season, how to proceed with Jared Goff in the 2022 off-season will be clearer than it's now.

I got to say, Goff impressed me in the playoffs playing 2 games like 10 days after thumb surgery. He showed real courage there and he gets blamed any time McVay's O doesnt work but that's not been the same since Gurley went down before the SB.

The guy was a #1 pick and has been to a SB. I think it gives the Lions a solid QB and if you get lucky and he hits in Detroit, even better. 

Much like with Matthew Stafford, the courage and toughness of Jared Goff to play with injury is indeed evident.

As much promise as Cam Akers displayed as a rookie,  replacing the Todd Gurley from prior to his 2018 knee injury is extremely difficult. Gurley was a complete back and a workhorse.  

Amazingly, two years ago at this time, Jared Goff was preparing for the Super Bowl against the Patriots.  NFL=Not for Long was even the case for a QB who signed a lucrative contract extension in Sept. 2019, is still only 26, and has been able to play in the vast majority of LA Rams games since then.  There are concerns regarding Jared Goff as a QB moving forward. But I would rather have him than the QBs you mentioned.  

(01-31-2021, 08:12 PM)empty Wrote:
(01-31-2021, 03:36 PM)D6 Wrote: At least until 2024, barring a trade.

It wouldn't surprise me that the LA Rams, at least 7 straight seasons without a 1st Round pick, would be a record not only in the NFL, but in all professional sports leagues.  

Assuming no other trades and they go 7 years, they'd be tied for 2nd with Washington from 84-90.  First place also happens to be Washington, from 69-79.

Source

George Allen's motto,  'The Future is Now', was the primary theme of his teams in DC, in the 1970's. The 'Over the Hill',  usually won against far less experienced teams that depended on youth.  Yet, they weren't able to get over the top until the Joe Gibbs era. 

(01-31-2021, 09:14 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(01-31-2021, 09:09 PM)D6 Wrote: If Jared Goff ends up being a surprise with the Lions,  it probably will be in very large part because of a much more consistently effective running game.  

Until the 2020 season, other than a couple of seasons early in Matthew Stafford's career when Brandon Pettigrew was the Lions # 1 TE, the TE position was a liability for the most part. Eric Ebron showed flashes but was erratic in all facets of TE play.  

This past season, T..J. Hockenson vastly improved as a receiver from his rookie season.  Stafford and Hockenson developed a chemistry that contributed greatly to Hockenson being selected to the Pro Bowl.  

One thing in particular I'm hopeful about regarding Jared Goff is the chemistry he displayed with his Rams TEs.  Your reply reminded me of this.  Hockenson is an upgrade compared to the TEs he played with in Los Angeles.    

(01-31-2021, 09:53 PM)D6 Wrote:
(01-31-2021, 09:14 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Agreed, I think Hockenson will help him out as well for that safety blanket.  Stafford has never really utilized the TE position like he could have

Until the 2020 season, other than a couple of seasons early in Matthew Stafford's career when Brandon Pettigrew was the Lions # 1 TE, the TE position was a liability for the most part. Eric Ebron showed flashes but was erratic in all facets of TE play.  

This past season, T..J. Hockenson vastly improved as a receiver from his rookie season.  Stafford and Hockenson developed a chemistry that contributed greatly to Hockenson being selected to the Pro Bowl.  

One thing in particular I'm hopeful about regarding Jared Goff is the chemistry he displayed with his Rams TEs.  Your reply reminded me of this.  Hockenson is an upgrade compared to the TEs he played with in Los Angeles.    

Do you think they will draft a QB? would you like them to draft one? if so, which one do you like?
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

(01-31-2021, 07:59 PM)JagFan81 Wrote:

Cousins is okay.

Trubisky is awful and has done nothing in this league.

(01-31-2021, 10:24 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote:
(01-31-2021, 09:53 PM)D6 Wrote: Until the 2020 season, other than a couple of seasons early in Matthew Stafford's career when Brandon Pettigrew was the Lions # 1 TE, the TE position was a liability for the most part. Eric Ebron showed flashes but was erratic in all facets of TE play.  

Do you think they will draft a QB? would you like them to draft one? if so, which one do you like?

Right now, I think it's around a 50 % chance the Lions take a QB with pick # 7 draft or in a trade up.  Before Jared Goff was acquired,  the likelihood was much higher.    

The two QBs that intrigue me if one, or surprisingly both are available at # 7,  are North Dakota St. QB Trey Lance and Ohio St. QB Justin Fields.  

My preference is for Jared Goff to be the starter in the 2021 season.  With a QB with an immense amount of potential and great intangibles, but needing plenty of development,  to learn from the bench as a rookie.  Ideally,  a QB along these lines will be available at pick # 7. If that turns out to be the case, it's highly likely that the QB will be my preference with # 7. Otherwise, I hope that a front 7 player on Defense is the selection, providing he's not a reach.  

Why the Rams won the trade.

https://sports.yahoo.com/why-rams-won-st...05617.html

(02-01-2021, 10:00 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Why the Rams won the trade.

Lol.

The Rams won nothing.

They lost when they traded away a bundle of picks to move up to take Goff #1 overall.

They lost when they signed him to a huge balloon contract.

And they lost when they traded away another bundle of picks to acquire Stafford.

Lol

(This post was last modified: 02-01-2021, 10:39 AM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(02-01-2021, 10:10 AM)Tank Commander Wrote:

Lol.

The Rams won nothing.

They lost when they traded away a bundle of picks to move up to take Goff #1 overall.

They lost when they signed him to a huge balloon contract.

And they lost when they traded away another bundle of picks to acquire Stafford.

Agree 1000%.

(01-30-2021, 11:17 PM)The Eleventh Doctor Wrote: Will Sean McVay ever get to pick a player in the 1st round?

not unless he replaces Les Snead once he's fired for mortgaging the team's future (yet again)

(01-31-2021, 01:00 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: WOW! I don't get this trade at all. It's like trading a mediocre QB and a ton of draft picks for a good, but certainly not great, QB. I've never thought of Stafford as an elite QB or even a very good one for that matter. To me, he's more on the level of what Mark Brunell was. That isn't bad, but there is no way Detroit should've gotten that much. I was thinking maybe they'd get a 1st and a 4th or 5th rounder. Instead, they just hit the powerball. I don't think this trade will effect the Rams offense much at all. I still see them as a defense first team, but they will be drastically effected by what they are able to do in the future, since they have given up so many picks.

As for the Lions, they can basically re-build, but Goff's huge contract is gonna be problematic. Put him on a Detroit team with a so-so O-Line, a subpar running game and all of their best receivers are free agents, so he may not have anyone to throw to and that offense is gonna be lethargic. I don't see the lions spending a high pick on a QB now, since Goff basically has to be the starter, now that they are paying him so much. There is an out in his contract after the 2022 season, but until then, he is their guy. Maybe they will select a mid round QB like a Kellen Mond or Ian Book, but they are locked in with Goff as the starter. Personally, I would've tried to make the trade without getting Goff involved, but that's probably why the Rams gave up so much. Nobody else was willing to take on his contract.

Can you imagine what Watson is gonna command? If Stafford got the Lions this much, Watson should bring in like 4 first round picks.

They basically get a free reset button with those picks, and a bridge QB during the rebuild. After 2 years and $43M, no guarantees so they can trade or cut him at no loss. They will have plenty of picks to find his replacement in that time. Heck, if they have the room, they can even dump him at a slight loss after a year.

The Rams are going to either be pushing tons out or gutting that roster in the same time frame. Bet they're glad they spent all that money on the shiny new stadium, in 3 years that team is going to be ug-lee.

(01-31-2021, 01:52 AM)HandsomeRob86 Wrote:
(01-31-2021, 01:51 AM)jaglyn Wrote: Apparently the Rams don’t like 1st Round Picks

I mean would you give a couple low first round picks for hall of fame level talent? That’s the question, and yes I think Stanford will be that level on a team like the rams instead of the lions. Obviously Ramsey is the other one. I don’t know of any GM who consistently hits that level of talent in the late first round. Draft picks are valued too high in the NFL sometimes. It’s not like the NBA where there is usually a huge drop off between the first pick and the next.

Stat Padford is not HOF caliber. And if Stafford is middle-of-the-road as he was in Detroit, the Rams are gonna be hurting for a few years unless they can find a middle-round QB that pans out.

One thing I also saw this weekend was a report that the Rams even inquired about Rodgers, and it's telling about Goff if they were this done with him. I haven't heard of any discontent, so either McVay has let on that he just wasn't getting it done or improving, or the GM Snead was too impatient to let things play out.

I completely agree that it delays the urgency to finding Stafford's replacement for Detroit, and the expectation likely won't be anywhere near as lofty for Goff there as they were in LA.

Y'all got a fantastic deal here, and if the cards are played well, could bolster the team for the better part of this decade. An incoming GM can't ask for anything more.

(01-31-2021, 08:12 PM)empty Wrote:
(01-31-2021, 03:36 PM)D6 Wrote: At least until 2024, barring a trade.

Source

I think the Washington case under Joe Gibbs was a little different though because the GM Bobby Beatherd would trade next year's #1 pick (which always ended up being a low first) to get a low #1 pick/high #2 pick in the current year's draft to draft someone he was targeting who fell in the 1st round.

So in essence it amounted to them still having a number 1 pick each year.

(This post was last modified: 02-01-2021, 07:53 PM by JagFanatic24.)

Well at least there is no pressure of a 1st round pick having to perform.

I’d rather have a player like Ramsey instead of two 1st round picks that could turn out to be just guys.

And plus if they are picking in the teens or twenties who really cares.