Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Stafford to Rams

(01-31-2021, 09:26 PM)D6 Wrote:
(01-31-2021, 07:59 PM)JagFan81 Wrote: I got to say, Goff impressed me in the playoffs playing 2 games like 10 days after thumb surgery. He showed real courage there and he gets blamed any time McVay's O doesnt work but that's not been the same since Gurley went down before the SB.

The guy was a #1 pick and has been to a SB. I think it gives the Lions a solid QB and if you get lucky and he hits in Detroit, even better. 

I mean, would you say Goff is worse than Cousins or Trubisky?

Much like with Matthew Stafford, the courage and toughness of Jared Goff to play with injury is indeed evident.

As much promise as Cam Akers displayed as a rookie,  replacing the Todd Gurley from prior to his 2018 knee injury is extremely difficult. Gurley was a complete back and a workhorse.  

Amazingly, two years ago at this time, Jared Goff was preparing for the Super Bowl against the Patriots.  NFL=Not for Long was even the case for a QB who signed a lucrative contract extension in Sept. 2019, is still only 26, and has been able to play in the vast majority of LA Rams games since then.  There are concerns regarding Jared Goff as a QB moving forward. But I would rather have him than the QBs you mentioned.  

Thanks. The more I've been thinking about this trade the more I think Detroit won. I like Stafford and I know hes popular in Detroit but is he seen as 'the guy' by Lions fans? You guys have a brutal division every year and hes just not been able to have that playoff run or reach a SB. Hes getting older and seemed to be looking elsewhere.

For most teams this would be panic stations, look at Houston, but Detroit have a younger QB who like you say has played most games in his career and some very important ones too. Throw in 2 1st round draft picks and for a situation that could have really hurt Detroit they got an impressive haul. 

I dont really rate any of the Rams WR's after Kupp and Goff has been the easy target to blame. Not sure adding Stafford suddenly makes that O click.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(02-01-2021, 08:11 PM)JagFan81 Wrote:
(01-31-2021, 09:26 PM)D6 Wrote: Much like with Matthew Stafford, the courage and toughness of Jared Goff to play with injury is indeed evident.

As much promise as Cam Akers displayed as a rookie,  replacing the Todd Gurley from prior to his 2018 knee injury is extremely difficult. Gurley was a complete back and a workhorse.  

Amazingly, two years ago at this time, Jared Goff was preparing for the Super Bowl against the Patriots.  NFL=Not for Long was even the case for a QB who signed a lucrative contract extension in Sept. 2019, is still only 26, and has been able to play in the vast majority of LA Rams games since then.  There are concerns regarding Jared Goff as a QB moving forward. But I would rather have him than the QBs you mentioned.  

Thanks. The more I've been thinking about this trade the more I think Detroit won. I like Stafford and I know hes popular in Detroit but is he seen as 'the guy' by Lions fans? You guys have a brutal division every year and hes just not been able to have that playoff run or reach a SB. Hes getting older and seemed to be looking elsewhere.

For most teams this would be panic stations, look at Houston, but Detroit have a younger QB who like you say has played most games in his career and some very important ones too. Throw in 2 1st round draft picks and for a situation that could have really hurt Detroit they got an impressive haul. 

I dont really rate any of the Rams WR's after Kupp and Goff has been the easy target to blame. Not sure adding Stafford suddenly makes that O click.
Stafford has had the worst run game in the league pretty much his whole career. He’s rarely had good coaching and the one time he had a top 10 defense, he went 11-5.

He’s one of the most underrated stars in the NFL and he should really flourish in LA. Not sure who won the trade but I think it’s a rare instance that it works out for both teams.

My fear with Trevor is that the Jags do to him what the Lions did to Stafford.

(02-01-2021, 07:52 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: Well at least there is no pressure of a 1st round pick having to perform.

I’d rather have a player like Ramsey instead of two 1st round picks that could turn out to be just guys.

And plus if they are picking in the teens or twenties who really cares.

If you are getting a top 5 positional guy in there prime then it's worth it.
Khalil Mack for two number ones was a steal.

But 2 numbers ones or the farm for an inconsistent or unproven QB, with question marks is very problematic because there is so much uncertainty. (In a Watson or Fields type trade)

Stafford is a good QB but I think his growth has kind of been stunted by being in a losing situation for so long. He was never a generational can't miss prospect.
 I actually like Stafford but I think they gave up way too much for him and I'm not sure he's that much of an upgrade to Super Bowl year Goff.

Rams already bet the farm on Goff and lost big time.
Also I think QB has a higher rate of injury than DB and LB so is a bigger risk.

(02-01-2021, 08:27 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(02-01-2021, 08:11 PM)JagFan81 Wrote: Thanks. The more I've been thinking about this trade the more I think Detroit won. I like Stafford and I know hes popular in Detroit but is he seen as 'the guy' by Lions fans? You guys have a brutal division every year and hes just not been able to have that playoff run or reach a SB. Hes getting older and seemed to be looking elsewhere.

Stafford has had the worst run game in the league pretty much his whole career. He’s rarely had good coaching and the one time he had a top 10 defense, he went 11-5.

He’s one of the most underrated stars in the NFL and he should really flourish in LA. Not sure who won the trade but I think it’s a rare instance that it works out for both teams.

I do agree with what you say, Stafford is a very good QB, of course hes been let down by the FO talent wise but I see time and again on here that top QB's can overcome no run game, they can win with scrub WR's. As said above, I wonder if Stafford has been too long in Detroit. 

I agree both teams should be happy with what they have but the Rams have gone all in that Stafford can take them over the top.

And definitely, the biggest crime we could do to Lawrence is act like he can do it on his own.

(This post was last modified: 02-02-2021, 06:31 PM by Jag88.)

The rams are all in. They have to go to the superbowl next year or they fail

(This post was last modified: 02-02-2021, 07:21 PM by Tank Commander.)

(02-02-2021, 11:40 AM)JagFan81 Wrote:
(02-01-2021, 08:27 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Stafford has had the worst run game in the league pretty much his whole career. He’s rarely had good coaching and the one time he had a top 10 defense, he went 11-5.

I do agree with what you say, Stafford is a very good QB, of course hes been let down by the FO talent wise but I see time and again on here that top QB's can overcome no run game, they can win with scrub WR's. As said above, I wonder if Stafford has been too long in Detroit. 

I agree both teams should be happy with what they have but the Rams have gone all in that Stafford can take them over the top.

And definitely, the biggest crime we could do to Lawrence is act like he can do it on his own.

Agreed, Stafford mentally has been with a losing organization for so long.  He can't come in like a Brady, Brees, Rodgers or Manning and tell people that this is how we do things, yet he's not young enough to not be expected to lead.

(02-02-2021, 06:30 PM)Jag88 Wrote: The rams are all in. They have to go to the superbowl next year or they fail

They were all in the year that Goff took them to the Super Bowl (under his cheap rookie contract) and failed.

Who is making all the Rams FO decisions?

I mean... they unloaded Goff's contract sure... but they have no first round picks for the foreseeable future.... the cap situation still isn't great with Donald and Ramsey tying up a good bit.

Stafford is an okay QB but I highly doubt the talent difference between Goff and Stafford is so much that this move puts them over the hump in a tough division/conference.

The Rams have done a wonderful job killing themselves slowly. I suspect 2021 will be the last year they are competitive before the wheels start to come off.

(02-01-2021, 08:11 PM)JagFan81 Wrote:
(01-31-2021, 09:26 PM)D6 Wrote: Much like with Matthew Stafford, the courage and toughness of Jared Goff to play with injury is indeed evident.

The Lions fan base is divided on Matthew Stafford.  Yet, the vast majority of Lions fans and the media that cover the team feel the way I do that the trade with the LA Rams is in the Lions best interest.  Especially, the level of the draft pick compensation. 

Related to what you mentioned about the Rams,  they easily could lose multiple starters & role players because of their adverse salary cap situation.  They are going to need to continue to draft well in the middle rounds, as well as make other good low cost additions, to have the roster necessary to get over the top with Matthew Stafford.  

(02-01-2021, 11:25 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(01-31-2021, 03:45 PM)D6 Wrote: These are some of my thoughts about the trade from a Lions fan perspective:

This looks like a good trade for the Lions. While the two future 1st Round picks are probably both going to be in the latter half of the Round, it's not going to be easy for the Rams to get to the Super Bowl in the next two seasons. The NFC West is a strong division from top to bottom. Not to mention competition from some other NFC teams. If the Rams don't win a playoff game, the pick in the draft that follows will be between # 19 and # 24. There's probably at least a 45 % chance that the Rams don't get to the 2nd Round of the playoffs in one of the two seasons the Lions have their 1st Round pick in the following draft.

The 3rd Round pick the Lions are receiving from the Rams in the 2021 Draft puts the Lions in a much better position for the 2021 Draft.

Jared Goff has been trashed by many of late, especially in relationship to his contract. Though Goff hasn't come close to playing up to the contract extension he signed before the start of the 2019 regular season, he's not a bottom tier starting QB. Goff is probably somewhere in the middle tier. At least the Lions should be watchable in the 2021 season. That wouldn't have been the case with Chase Daniel as the Lions starting QB.

Goff gives the Lions draft leverage. If there isn't a QB who warrants pick # 7 in the 2021 Draft, the Lions can either select a higher ranked player or trade down if an opportunity presents itself. The Lions can also trade up for a QB. But Goff being on the roster increases the chances that the Lions don't significantly overpay in trading up for a QB.

Based on what happens in the 2021 season, how to proceed with Jared Goff in the 2022 off-season will be clearer than it's now.

One thing I also saw this weekend was a report that the Rams even inquired about Rodgers, and it's telling about Goff if they were this done with him. I haven't heard of any discontent, so either McVay has let on that he just wasn't getting it done or improving, or the GM Snead was too impatient to let things play out.

I completely agree that it delays the urgency to finding Stafford's replacement for Detroit, and the expectation likely won't be anywhere near as lofty for Goff there as they were in LA.

Y'all got a fantastic deal here, and if the cards are played well, could bolster the team for the better part of this decade. An incoming GM can't ask for anything more.

In reading and listening to many that cover or follow the LA Rams closely since the trade, my impression is Sean McVay came to the conclusion that Jared Goff very likely wouldn't be able to lead the Rams to a Super Bowl Championship.  With McVay then expressing his opinion to Les Snead.  My gut feeling is Snead shared McVay's opinion at least to the extent that he was  willing to move on from Jared Goff, despite the lucrative contract that Snead gave Goff in early Sept. 2019. 

With Brad Holmes having an excellent reputation for his draft input when in the Rams organization,  this trade is indeed an excellent long term opportunity for the Lions. 

(02-02-2021, 07:20 PM)Tank Commander Wrote:
(02-02-2021, 11:40 AM)JagFan81 Wrote: I do agree with what you say, Stafford is a very good QB, of course hes been let down by the FO talent wise but I see time and again on here that top QB's can overcome no run game, they can win with scrub WR's. As said above, I wonder if Stafford has been too long in Detroit. 

Agreed, Stafford mentally has been with a losing organization for so long.  He can't come in like a Brady, Brees, Rodgers or Manning and tell people that this is how we do things, yet he's not young enough to not be expected to lead.

(02-02-2021, 06:30 PM)Jag88 Wrote: The rams are all in. They have to go to the superbowl next year or they fail

They were all in the year that Goff took them to the Super Bowl (under his cheap rookie contract) and failed.

I'd say he was mainly the reason they lost that game. Stafford should ball on that offense.
No Fun

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/...69445?s=20

This unexpected good news on this end might have turned out to be the difference in the LA Rams trading DT-DE Michael Brockers to the Lions for only a 7th Round Pick in 2023, compared to Brockers remaining on their roster.

(03-18-2021, 11:52 AM)D6 Wrote: https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/...69445?s=20

This unexpected good news on this end might have turned out to be the difference in the LA Rams trading DT-DE Michael Brockers to the Lions for only a 7th Round Pick in 2023, compared to Brockers remaining on their roster.

Did you watch the video Stafford made for the Lions? pretty cool.
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

(03-18-2021, 04:24 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote:
(03-18-2021, 11:52 AM)D6 Wrote: https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/...69445?s=20

Did you watch the video Stafford made for the Lions? pretty cool.

I watched the video earlier today and enjoyed it greatly.  Matthew Stafford brought back many great memories. Especially, in crunch time in games. It isn't a coincidence the video was 9 minutes long. lol 

Even though I believe the trade is in the best interest of the Lions, it still seems surreal that after 12 seasons, Stafford is no longer playing for the Lions.

(01-09-2022, 07:55 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: https://twitter.com/espn/status/14803102...11361?s=20

Good for him. Stafford deserves a better opportunity to do well in the playoffs. I wouldn't be mad if they won the Super Bowl.