Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Marty Schottenheimer placed in Hospice

(02-04-2021, 12:03 AM)The Eleventh Doctor Wrote: My Aunt's family hired a private nurse to come into her house every day.  The nurse got COVID and brought it into the house, and my Aunt and Uncle both got Covid.  My Aunt died from it.  Hospice requires their staff to self-test every day.  So it may be in Marty Schottenheimer's best interest to use hospice, especially since there's a pandemic going on.

Sincere condolences, sir.

grandmother-in-law was in similar circumstance last year, and my biggest fear was that between all the family that cycled in and out of the house she was staying and the visiting attendants, the virus would find its way in. Somehow avoided that catastrophe, but still lost her to age.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(02-04-2021, 11:01 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(02-03-2021, 05:46 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: Hospice is for people that have zero other options.

He has a million options. His family said screw that

What drivel. He's got end stage Alzheimer's, it's almost impossible to keep that stable in the home setting.

Yeah, witnessed several examples in our family. An uncle repeatedly would disappear, when found, he'd be walking the road, thinking he needed to get to work, despite being retired over 20 years. Houses have to have deadbolts on all doors, no keys in sight, and if anyone gets up in the middle of the night, you better be on your toes, no telling what they are going to be getting into. It is a restless, painstaking level of care for the family that watches over them.

Having a facility with 24-hour staffing would be a godsend for most of the families that endured this situation.

(02-03-2021, 05:46 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(02-03-2021, 05:45 PM)Jags Wrote: Someone is on a roll today.

Hospice is for people that have zero other options.

You have no idea how wrong you are.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(02-03-2021, 05:02 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: He's made how many millions of dollars for his family?

Now his family, wealthy, is throwing him in a hospice? Sure... enjoy the millions he earned, he won't know, he has friggin Alzheimers- don't take care of him - let strangers take care of him 'til he dies.

Seriously? They have millions... hire private nurses and doctors and take care of him. People like this need the money taken from them. Just give it to charity and make them fend for themselves.

I don’t think you realize how difficult Alzheimers is.  First you watch someone you love disappearing right in front of your eyes while they are still there.  Next they fight you both emotionally and physically as you try to help them.  You have to watch them 25 hours a day(not a typo).  Have you ever had to put a diaper on your father or mother as they curse you not knowing who you are?  Alzheimers is a horrible disease.
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

(02-07-2021, 10:15 PM)copycat Wrote:
(02-03-2021, 05:02 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: He's made how many millions of dollars for his family?

Now his family, wealthy, is throwing him in a hospice? Sure... enjoy the millions he earned, he won't know, he has friggin Alzheimers- don't take care of him - let strangers take care of him 'til he dies.

Seriously? They have millions... hire private nurses and doctors and take care of him. People like this need the money taken from them. Just give it to charity and make them fend for themselves.

I don’t think you realize how difficult Alzheimers is.  First you watch someone you love disappearing right in front of your eyes while they are still there.  Next they fight you both emotionally and physically as you try to help them.  You have to watch them 25 hours a day(not a typo).  Have you ever had to put a diaper on your father or mother as they curse you not knowing who you are?  Alzheimers is a horrible disease.

Absolutely true. 3 of my 4 grandparents had Alzheimers. It was terrible. We kept them home as long as we could, but there comes a point where you almost lose your own sanity taking care of them. They will wander off, almost set the house on fire or a myriad of other things if they aren't watched 24/7. My grandpa would also go into sudden fits of rages at times and when stuff like that happens, you just have to remind yourself that it isn't them, it's the disease that's making them act this way. Now my dad is in the early stages of it and he also has aphasia. Aphasia is when someone speaks and the words they want to say come out completely different than what they want, so it's almost complete gibberish. It was caused by the brain damage he received during a stroke he suffered several years ago. We try very hard to decipher what he is saying, but it's hard. Now, with the Alzheimers, he will repeat the same gibberish over and over. I don't know how my mom keeps from losing her own sanity.

(This post was last modified: 02-08-2021, 01:25 PM by HandsomeRob86.)

(02-03-2021, 05:43 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(02-03-2021, 05:40 PM)Mikey Wrote: You sound like a joy at superb owl parties, oh wait, you don't do those. You realize hiring a private nurse and or doctor would be just as much a stranger, right?

This is sad news, Marty and the Browns of the 80's helped me to fall in love with the game. I always had a ton of respect for him, and hate that his final days will end up going down this path.

Yep, they would be strangers... visiting YOUR home... with YOUR family around - versus a Hospice with a bunch of disgusting invalid old people.

If I had millions of dollars I wouldn't send my family member to hospice. You have a thousand other options having that amount of cash

You know hospice can be in the home also. And sometimes peoples day to day care requires much more than 1 nurse can provide. I think your being a bit harsh here.

(02-06-2021, 05:35 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(02-03-2021, 05:46 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: Hospice is for people that have zero other options.

You have no idea how wrong you are.

I responded at first, but after seeing further comments, I see he has no idea what hospice is or why someone would need a full care facility.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

I'm absolutely bewildered as to how OP thinks it's any of his business.

Just got an alert on my phone that he passed..

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

Marty Schottenheimer, former coach of 4 NFL teams, dies at 77

https://www.fox5dc.com/sports/marty-scho...ZMmkY3FE_Q
You know trouble is right around the corner when your best friend tells you to hold his beer!!

(02-09-2021, 10:43 AM)WingerDinger Wrote: Just got an alert on my phone that he passed..

But he had so many options.

(02-09-2021, 04:16 PM)Jags Wrote:
(02-09-2021, 10:43 AM)WingerDinger Wrote: Just got an alert on my phone that he passed..

I genuinely LOL.

(02-09-2021, 12:06 PM)The Drifter Wrote: Marty Schottenheimer, former coach of 4 NFL teams, dies at 77

https://www.fox5dc.com/sports/marty-scho...ZMmkY3FE_Q

Very sad. He was one of the all time great head coaches. RIP.

RIP Marty Schottenheimer.

I became familiar with Marty as a coach in 1978, when he became the Lions LB Coach under HC Monte Clark. Those two seasons set the stage for Marty Schottenheimer being hired as Browns DC in 1980 and his stellar HC career that followed.

My condolences to Brian Schottenheimer and his entire family.

RIP Martyball.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(02-09-2021, 04:16 PM)Jags Wrote:

I do dig your sense of humor lol

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

I’m confused for the purpose of this thread. Isn’t Hospice where they send you, (or bring in home) when you don’t have long to live? Aren’t they the people that make you comfortable as can be while you’re dying? Why would this be seen as a bad thing?
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

(02-09-2021, 10:34 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote: I’m confused for the purpose of this thread. Isn’t Hospice where they send you, (or bring in home) when you don’t have long to live? Aren’t they the people that make you comfortable as can be while you’re dying? Why would this be seen as a bad thing?

Palliative care. Yes, that is the purpose of hospice. 

It's best for the patient and the family unless a busy body who has no idea of the circumstances feels compelled to air their profound ignorance on a message board.

I had two grandparents, both maternal losing their battle to the dreaded Alzeimer's. May the good coach RIP. Thoughts and prayers with family!
Ready for May Day and May Flowers!

@OP can rest easy now.@

(This post was last modified: 02-10-2021, 10:12 AM by Jagwired.)

Boy. If I was the thread creator here I would delete this. Not sure I have ever seen a more off based, uninformed opinion on this board. OP clearly had zero idea what the definition of hospice is when he created this absurdity.
Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.