Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Student Loan Forgiveness

(02-08-2021, 05:28 PM)lastonealive Wrote:
(02-08-2021, 03:09 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: I wonder how many people complaining about student loan debt have Samsung Galaxy S21 or Apple Iphone 12's and unlimited data plans.

I wonder how many of those same people have smart watches and an extra line for that watch

I wonder how many of them have Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, Disney+, <insert paid subscription here>

I wonder how many of them have satellite radio or Spotify

I wonder how many of them are making the necessary sacrifices in order to make good on their debt.
So they shouldn't spend any money in order to finance a loan?

Well that's just great for the economy!

That doesn't make any sense. Please clarify. 

I will take a guess at what you are saying and assume you somehow believe if you pay off the debt of these people, they will somehow start stimulating the economy with their newfound disposable income?  My money is on them getting further into debt, because irresponsibility got them where they are in the first place.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 02-08-2021, 06:41 PM by HURRICANE!!!.)

(02-08-2021, 03:09 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: I wonder how many people complaining about student loan debt have Samsung Galaxy S21 or Apple Iphone 12's and unlimited data plans.

I wonder how many of those same people have smart watches and an extra line for that watch

I wonder how many of them have Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, Disney+, <insert paid subscription here>

I wonder how many of them are making the necessary sacrifices in order to make good on their debt.

Don't get me started on this. When I visit my son in Atlanta, I see everyone out (and I mean the 21 to 30 year old crowd) drinking $15 martinis and $8 craft brews .... wearing their expensive & trendy attire.  In the meantime, I'm still that dude that drinks an hour prior to going out so i only need to maintain a buzz and not dump my $$ into these establishments.

I agree, a lot of people deferring loan payments are those same peeps that are spending their paychecks in the clubs or other luxury items.

(02-08-2021, 05:28 PM)lastonealive Wrote: So they shouldn't spend any money in order to finance a loan?

No, the point being, pay down your loan which ultimately saves on interest and cut back on luxury items.

(02-08-2021, 05:28 PM)lastonealive Wrote:

So they shouldn't spend any money in order to finance a loan?

Spending money on non-essential discretionary items over necessities is pretty stupid.  It used to be that U.S. citizens took pride in making a sacrifice and working hard in order to achieve.

Latest "smart" phone with an unlimited data plan = unnecessary.
"Smart watch" = unnecessary.
Netflix, Hulu, etc. for television = unnecessary.
Satellite radio or streaming radio = unnecessary.

Add up the cost of the unnecessary/discretionary items on StroudCrowd1's list would most certainly amount to enough to pay for the debt that these people took on.

Ponder this.  Is the cost to build the latest "smart" phone so much higher to justify the rising price of one?  My guess is that it's not.  The price is higher due to the demand because a certain generation or two just "have to have" the "latest and greatest".

The bottom line is that student loan "forgiveness" is nothing more than wealth redistribution and wrong.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(02-08-2021, 06:39 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:

Don't get me started on this. When I visit my son in Atlanta, I see everyone out (and I mean the 21 to 30 year old crowd) drinking $15 martinis and $8 craft brews .... wearing their expensive & trendy attire.  In the meantime, I'm still that dude that drinks an hour prior to going out so i only need to maintain a buzz and not dump my $$ into these establishments.

I agree, a lot of people deferring loan payments are those same peeps that are spending their paychecks in the clubs or other luxury items.

(02-08-2021, 05:28 PM)lastonealive Wrote: So they shouldn't spend any money in order to finance a loan?

No, the point being, pay down your loan which ultimately saves on interest and cut back on luxury items.

I'm with you but if everyone is financially frugal there will be a huge recession. 

Isn't the whole narrative of interest rates cuts that they are good for the economy? So how is taking more money off those who can probably least afford it good for the economy?

University education should be funded by tax as it is good for the economy and society. Also as higher earners are predominantly University grads it is also 'fair' to the 'I don't want my taxes to benefit anyone' crowd.

(This post was last modified: 02-08-2021, 08:13 PM by mikesez.)

(02-08-2021, 06:39 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:

Please tell me that someone else drives you there...
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(02-08-2021, 08:13 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(02-08-2021, 06:39 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Don't get me started on this. When I visit my son in Atlanta, I see everyone out (and I mean the 21 to 30 year old crowd) drinking $15 martinis and $8 craft brews .... wearing their expensive & trendy attire.  In the meantime, I'm still that dude that drinks an hour prior to going out so i only need to maintain a buzz and not dump my $$ into these establishments.

This is one of 2 times I’ve ever agreed with you. The other time was just a few days ago.  What the hell happened to you on your 5 day “off time”?

(This post was last modified: 02-08-2021, 09:01 PM by Jags.)

Well, if I’m allowed to make a funny, I suppose it’s 3 times if we count you deciding to leave the board.  Big Grin

Haha. I even did the emoji!  It lets people know I was joking.  Fun times.

(02-08-2021, 08:17 PM)Jags Wrote:
(02-08-2021, 08:13 PM)mikesez Wrote: Please tell me that someone else drives you there...

This is one of 2 times I’ve ever agreed with you. The other time was just a few days ago.  What the hell happened to you on your 5 day “off time”?

Sweat pants, chocolate, wine and midol..

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

(02-08-2021, 09:11 PM)WingerDinger Wrote:
(02-08-2021, 08:17 PM)Jags Wrote: This is one of 2 times I’ve ever agreed with you. The other time was just a few days ago.  What the hell happened to you on your 5 day “off time”?

Lmao.  That actually makes a lot of sense.

(This post was last modified: 02-08-2021, 09:34 PM by mikesez.)

(02-08-2021, 08:17 PM)Jags Wrote: This is one of 2 times I’ve ever agreed with you. The other time was just a few days ago.  What the hell happened to you on your 5 day “off time”?

I was gone more than 2 weeks homeslice.
I did a daddy daughter dance and I've been running and biking more.
Seriously guys. If you have a daughter middle school or younger, take her to one. I wasn't sure we'd get much out of it but we did.

(This post was last modified: 02-08-2021, 09:47 PM by Jags.)

(02-08-2021, 09:32 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(02-08-2021, 09:11 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: Sweat pants, chocolate, wine and midol..

Seriously guys. If you have a daughter middle school or younger, take her to one. I wasn't sure we'd get much out of it but we did.

If that is truly what went on, good on you!   I’ll be there in a few years.  Although, I’d argue I’ve had plenty daddy/daughter dances in the last 6 years.  Even if it was just in the backyard, living room or whatever.   I’m sure you have had plenty practice as well. Practice makes perfect!  Also, way to go on getting healthier.  I was going to say something about how you looked in that spandex. I figured I’d just gun it and cut you off despite your hand gestures stating you wanted to turn left on a 4 way highway.  But, seriously, good on you for bettering yourself.  Just don’t ride your stupid bike near me.  I was taught not to play in the streets.  Unless we all yelled “CAR!”

I will translate for everyone. Mike didn't pay his phone and internet bill.

(02-08-2021, 10:07 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: I will translate for everyone. Mike didn't pay his phone and internet bill.

You almost made me choke on my dip.  I hope you’re happy.

(02-08-2021, 10:07 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: I will translate for everyone. Mike didn't pay his phone and internet bill.

You're right! Wifey pays those, and she doesn't miss payments.

You forgot the Hallmark channel.
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

(02-08-2021, 09:32 PM)mikesez Wrote: I was gone more than 2 weeks homeslice.
At least we now know where the most embarrassed girl in the world was that day. Laughing Laughing
Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

(This post was last modified: 02-09-2021, 09:55 AM by HURRICANE!!!.)

(02-08-2021, 08:13 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(02-08-2021, 06:39 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Don't get me started on this. When I visit my son in Atlanta, I see everyone out (and I mean the 21 to 30 year old crowd) drinking $15 martinis and $8 craft brews .... wearing their expensive & trendy attire.  In the meantime, I'm still that dude that drinks an hour prior to going out so i only need to maintain a buzz and not dump my $$ into these establishments.

Yep, and sometimes the hour drinking prior to arrival is in the form of bicycling to the establishments at the beaches.

(02-08-2021, 09:32 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(02-08-2021, 09:11 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: Sweat pants, chocolate, wine and midol..

I hope they made it clear before the music started that the fathers were supposed to dance with their own daughters.  Otherwise, things could get quite awkward.

(02-09-2021, 09:54 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(02-08-2021, 08:13 PM)mikesez Wrote: Please tell me that someone else drives you there...

Yep, and sometimes the hour drinking prior to arrival is in the form of bicycling to the establishments at the beaches.

I hope they made it clear before the music started that the fathers were supposed to dance with their own daughters.  Otherwise, things could get quite awkward.

That's probably why Biden showed up all confused

(This post was last modified: 02-09-2021, 11:40 AM by mikesez.)

(02-09-2021, 09:54 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:

I don't think anyone needed that reminder.  I didn't notice any shenanigans like that.

(02-09-2021, 09:23 AM)Jagwired Wrote:
At least we now know where the most embarrassed girl in the world was that day. Laughing Laughing

Just because your daughter is ashamed of you doesn't mean mine is ashamed of me.
I wouldn't have made her go if she didn't want to go.