Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Hall of Fame Inductions so far-Welp another snub

(02-07-2021, 11:31 AM)iHaunting Raven Wrote:
(02-07-2021, 12:11 AM)Bullseye Wrote: He played 13 games more than Terrell Davis who is in.

Yeah but Davis won 2 SBs, that always counts.

Davis played on 2 TEAMS that won the Super Bowl.  He didn't win them single handedly, and if Boselli had played on those teams, they might have won 4 Super Bowls.  Besides, Terrell Davis is NOT among the 5 all time greatest running backs, and Tony Boselli is, in my opinion at least, one of the 5 all time greatest left tackles.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(02-08-2021, 10:00 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(02-07-2021, 11:31 AM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: Yeah but Davis won 2 SBs, that always counts.

Davis played on 2 TEAMS that won the Super Bowl.  He didn't win them single handedly, and if Boselli had played on those teams, they might have won 4 Super Bowls.  Besides, Terrell Davis is NOT among the 5 all time greatest running backs, and Tony Boselli is, in my opinion at least, one of the 5 all time greatest left tackles.

Hahaha so you say it is a team game but also say Broncos would have won 4 by just having Boselli?  Laughing Laughing

Btw I never said Davis won them alone, good job getting butthurt for nothing though.

All those guys deserve it more than Boselli whether you like it or not.
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

(02-08-2021, 09:31 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(02-07-2021, 11:18 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Faneca vs Boselli

OK, Boselli was a better player during the time in which they both played but my question to everyone is, if you were drafting a team right now and knew you could get Boselli for 6 season (starting 90 games) OR if you could get Faneca for 13 seasons, starting 201 games .... who would you take?

Personally, I like Boselli as much as the next person but give me the longevity (13 years) of a person that is top 5 at his position versus 6 years with a person that is the best of his position.  The accolades shown below really aren't even that close.

FANECA
Super Bowl champion (XL)
6× First-team All-Pro (2001, 2002, 2004–2007)
2× Second-team All-Pro (2003, 2008)
9× Pro Bowl (2001–2009)
Pittsburgh Steelers All-Time Team
NFL 2000s All-Decade Team

BOSELLI
5× Pro Bowl (1996–2000)
3× First-team All-Pro (1997–1999)
NFL Alumni Offensive Lineman of the Year (1998)
NFL 1990s All-Decade Team
Pride of the Jaguars

If you switch the helmets they wore over their career, do you think the votes play out differently? Be honest.

That's actually hypothetical versus tangible stats so that's one of those debatable questions that can never be answered.

(02-08-2021, 11:04 AM)iHaunting Raven Wrote:
(02-08-2021, 10:00 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Davis played on 2 TEAMS that won the Super Bowl.  He didn't win them single handedly, and if Boselli had played on those teams, they might have won 4 Super Bowls.  Besides, Terrell Davis is NOT among the 5 all time greatest running backs, and Tony Boselli is, in my opinion at least, one of the 5 all time greatest left tackles.

Hahaha so you say it is a team game but also say Broncos would have won 4 by just having Boselli?  Laughing Laughing

Btw I never said Davis won them alone, good job getting butthurt for nothing though.

All those guys deserve it more than Boselli whether you like it or not.

Not much of a response, but okay.

Here is to hoping 2021 is the year of the Jaguar.

Lawrence is all he is believed to be, meyer is more than an alternative bologna coach and Boselli capitalizes and gets in.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

Tony will get into the HOF right around the time Sam gets in the Clemson football HOF for his stellar career. Oh wait.....

Bummer for the Big Man.  Wallbash
"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

(This post was last modified: 02-08-2021, 10:58 PM by mikesez.)

(02-07-2021, 11:31 AM)iHaunting Raven Wrote:
(02-07-2021, 12:11 AM)Bullseye Wrote: He played 13 games more than Terrell Davis who is in.

Yeah but Davis won 2 SBs, that always counts.

Super bowls do count, but they shouldn't count.  Except for QBs.  Any other position should have a clear path to the HoF regardless of how their teammates did

Steve Largest got in, and he never played in a Super Bowl.

(02-08-2021, 11:25 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(02-08-2021, 09:31 AM)Mikey Wrote: If you switch the helmets they wore over their career, do you think the votes play out differently? Be honest.

That's actually hypothetical versus tangible stats so that's one of those debatable questions that can never be answered.

The point is, honors like pro bowls and All decade teams are totally subjective.  We know pro bowl votes are biased against small market teams.
Unfortunately, offensive linemen don't put up much in the way of objective stats.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(This post was last modified: 02-08-2021, 11:02 PM by mikesez.)

Very simple to make the case for Tony Boselli.
Tony made Jason Taylor and Bruce Smith look like little boys in the playoffs. He flattened Kevin Greene 2x per year.
Jason and Kevin and Bruce are in the Hall. Where's Tony?

(This post was last modified: 02-09-2021, 10:26 AM by HURRICANE!!!.)

(02-08-2021, 10:00 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(02-07-2021, 11:31 AM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: Yeah but Davis won 2 SBs, that always counts.

T. Davis should NOT be in the HOF.  78 total games with 7600 yards rushing.  that's essentially 5 full seasons averaging 1500 yards rushing.  good stats but 78 games is not enough.  I'd rather have Fred Taylor for 153 games which is equivalent to 9.5 years.  Freddie T was much more diverse as well as he was a great receiver out of the backfield

If he doesn't make it in next year, he may never make it. Next year's list of first time eligible is extremely weak. Demarcus Ware may be the best. None of the WRs were better than Jimmy. I'd argue Tony is a better candidate than any of those first time eligible. And there arent 5 guys who missed out this year that are more worthy. If he can't make it in next years class than the committee just doesn't like him as a candidate.

Terrell Davis ran behind Gary Zimmerman (LT) and Mark Schlereth (OG). Heck, Zimmerman had better credentials than Boselli with regard to Pro Bowls and First Team All-Pro. T Davis sure did land at the right place !!!

Zimmerman
7× Pro Bowl (1987–1989, 1992, 1994–1996)
5× First-team All-Pro (1987–1989, 1992, 1996)
3× Second-team All-Pro (1986, 1993, 1995)
2× All-USFL (1984, 1985)
Super Bowl champion (XXXII)
NFL 1980s All-Decade Team
USFL All-Time Team
50 Greatest Vikings
Morris Trophy (1983)
Denver Broncos Ring of Fame

Schlereth
2× Pro Bowl (1991, 1998)
3× Super Bowl champion (XXVI, XXXII, XXXIII)
Denver Broncos 50th Anniversary Team

(02-09-2021, 11:47 AM)rfc17 Wrote: If he doesn't make it in next year, he may never make it. Next year's list of first time eligible is extremely weak. Demarcus Ware may be the best. None of the WRs were better than Jimmy. I'd argue Tony is a better candidate than any of those first time eligible. And there arent 5 guys who missed out this year that are more worthy. If he can't make it in next years class than the committee just doesn't like him as a candidate.

If Tony Boselli doesn't get in next year, it might take the Senior Committee to lead the way in eventually Boselli getting into the HOF.  I think he has a good chance to eventually get in.  It took well over 50 years for former Lions and Redskins G Dick Stanfel,  who had a similar length career as Boselli, to finally get into the HOF.   Both were differential Offensive Lineman.

(02-09-2021, 10:20 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(02-08-2021, 10:00 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Davis played on 2 TEAMS that won the Super Bowl.  He didn't win them single handedly, and if Boselli had played on those teams, they might have won 4 Super Bowls.  Besides, Terrell Davis is NOT among the 5 all time greatest running backs, and Tony Boselli is, in my opinion at least, one of the 5 all time greatest left tackles.

T. Davis should NOT be in the HOF.  78 total games with 7600 yards rushing.  that's essentially 5 full seasons averaging 1500 yards rushing.  good stats but 78 games is not enough.  I'd rather have Fred Taylor for 153 games which is equivalent to 9.5 years.  Freddie T was much more diverse as well as he was a great receiver out of the backfield

Davis is in the HOF on what is basically four seasons of good play.

1995 -- OK season
1996 -- Great season
1997 -- Great season
1998 -- All-time great season
1999 -- Injured / Bad season
2000 -- Injured / Bad season
2001 -- Injured / OK season

Sure, he gets credit for getting some yardage out of those last three seasons (1,194 total), but would we give Boselli credit if you stayed on a roster for three more years but most of it on injured reserve? Probably not.

(02-09-2021, 02:12 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Terrell Davis ran behind Gary Zimmerman (LT) and Mark Schlereth (OG).  Heck, Zimmerman had better credentials than Boselli with regard to Pro Bowls and First Team All-Pro.  T Davis sure did land at the right place !!!

Zimmerman
7× Pro Bowl (1987–1989, 1992, 1994–1996)
5× First-team All-Pro (1987–1989, 1992, 1996)
3× Second-team All-Pro (1986, 1993, 1995)
2× All-USFL (1984, 1985)
Super Bowl champion (XXXII)
NFL 1980s All-Decade Team
USFL All-Time Team
50 Greatest Vikings
Morris Trophy (1983)
Denver Broncos Ring of Fame

Schlereth
2× Pro Bowl (1991, 1998)
3× Super Bowl champion (XXVI, XXXII, XXXIII)
Denver Broncos 50th Anniversary Team

Yeah, Zimmerman got in the HoF, as you'd expect.

Honestly Ravens end Micheal McCrary is the only guy I can think of that gave Boselli serious challenges.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

Neil Smith, Mike McCrary, Greg Lloyd, Bruce Smith, Kevin Greene, Jason Taylor....

The guys that Boselli locked down are some of the best defensive players that ever laced me up. He absolutely stone walled them.

And when he called Jason Taylor down the field in 1998, it was a hall of fame type of moment. He was playing with Taylor and beating him every single play. It gave me goosebumps when Boselli called Taylor to come GET SOME!!

Boselli flung Bruce Smith to spring Means for that 62 yard run up in Buffalo in 1996. Boselli was dominate. If he was on Madden today he would be a 100 overall. Pass protection, run blocking, pulling.

Up in Cincy Brunell threw a pick 6....but Boselli ran him down and 2 plays later Beasley ran a fumble back for a TD to seal the game. The camera zoomed in on Boselli for that sequence.

I remember Hudson picked off a ball and Boselli was running down the sideline to cheer him on. Boselli is the face of Jacksonville and deserves to be in the Hall. ONLY PLAYER EVER TO BE DRAFTED #2 OVERALL AND THEN #1 OVERALL (Houston).

I believe he was the first pick for 2 different teams. Jax Hou

If he would have played 10 years he would have been considered the best offensive lineman of all time. With 7 years he’s still in the conversation.