Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
My 'white privilege' is not oppressing you

Tell me about my white privilege and how I oppress you ONE. MORE. TIME. 

I swear to God..... Less than one month into this administration and I am sick and tired of the racial BS that has gone into overdrive. I have a lot less privilege than these people think. The people with true white privilege are those with money and status, neither of which I have. I just happen to be a girl born white. No privilege. Don't blame me for the color of my skin that I had NO say in and don't assume I think I'm somehow superior to you. I can assure you I don't.

If you want to blame someone for black oppression in twenty freaking twenty-one look at your own people. They're the ones killing each other, dealing drugs, hustling the streets, spreading the hate. 

You want to blame the grocery store managers for the food deserts in black neighborhoods? It's your own who are the ones who make it impossible for grocery stores (or any stores) to stay open in high crime neighborhoods when they vandalize them, steal from them, create unsafe working environments for employees, etc. 

You want to blame the city for not bringing new businesses into these same areas? Same problem. How about the parks that get locked up and kids have nowhere to play? Blame the criminals in your own neighborhood for bringing the drugs and thuggery. The tax money doesn't come to your neighborhood because its destroyed by your own people over and over again. 

When I worked for Habitat for Humanity in Jacksonville we built houses in black neighborhoods. We had many, many occasions where vandalism was an issue. The thugs didn't want black people owning their own homes because it might make them think they could rise up from the victim mindset and God forbid black people feel empowered. It got to the point we couldn't install appliances until the day before the homebuyers were to take ownership of the house because they would be stolen. Doors were stolen off their hinges. Water heaters, blinds, even whole cabinets were stolen. We had to secure air conditioning units on concrete pads with rebar bent around them to prevent theft, but they could still be made inoperable. Once we showed up to a house with feces from the on-site porta john smeared around the house. We started locking the johns and the next day they'd be tipped over. There would be people lingering a block or so away from the jobsite trying to intimidate us, the homebuyers and volunteers. People would dump their trash in the yards of new homes being built. 

Who did all of this? Not the white guy. The neighbors would tell us in confidence who the vandals were and we couldn't do anything about it for fear of putting their livelihood at risk. 

I remember going to a clothing store in the Landing and they made it a point to check receipts and general contents of bags before you walked out the door. I handed my receipt to the lady and she said I was okay to go without looking at it. She said it wasn't my color she had to worry about. And she was black. She said they had issues all the time with black girls (her words) coming in and trying to shop lift. Last Friday there was a black girl at my local Food Lion trying to shop lift some make-up. She was on her cellphone telling someone the store manager was eyeballing her and accusing her, all the while she was trying to keep the stuff from falling out of her jacket. 

The reason you get the side eye for doing nothing wrong is because others who look like you already did it. Repeatedly. It's not racism. It's criminal activity. It's guilt by association. You're own people are screwing you over. They're the ones saying you're a victim. They're the ones saying you're not good enough. They're the ones who perpetuate the mentality. 

I guarantee you 1000% not a single white baby comes out of the womb as a racist with an agenda. I remember a bible devotion I read once that said Eve never knew she lacked anything until the serpent told her so. It was a lie, of course, but the damage was done. We are taught things by people who may or may not have our best interests in mind. Those who don't have an agenda. Sadly many kids don't understand this and are for all intents and purposes brainwashed to believe things that aren't true, or may have just enough truth coming from just the right person to be "true." 

My first personal encounter with racism wasn't until around the 7th grade. I knew there were kids that didn't like each other but I didn't know it was specific to race. I didn't know I was "against black people" until a black kid told me I was. What? Imagine that. I had no idea what they were talking about, I said. People are people. I quoted Paul McCartney and Michael Jackson's song Ebony and Ivory. That didn't go over well with the kid. It was the first time I ever saw someone of color as different and it was not a good kind of different, but I've never judged a whole race of people by that kid and his attitude. 

I won't even go into how you let white progressives push this narrative. That's a whole other can of whoop [BLEEP]. It's too early in the day for any of this crap but I had to get it out.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 02-08-2021, 01:35 PM by The Real Marty.)

Is someone haranguing you about white privilege?   What happened that caused you to write that?  And who is the "you" you are addressing?

And what does it have to do with the current administration?  I'm not seeing anything about white privilege that I haven't been seeing for a couple of years now.

YOU many not be oppressing others but there are plenty of people that do oppress minorities.

The only thing we an do as individuals is to ensure we are doing our part to give everyone equal opportunity.

White privilege is spread by people who want to inspire victimhood.. They want you to feel guilty about the color of your skin, ancestry, heritage and day to day life.. They try to shame you into their sick way of thinking and they'll call you every derogatory name in the book if you don't conform. Don't give into the mob and love your skin color, no matter what color it is..

There's no skin color better than the other, but some people are better than others, and I'm much better than these victimhood paddlers..

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

(02-08-2021, 01:34 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: Is someone haranguing you about white privilege?   What happened that caused you to write that?  And who is the "you" you are addressing?

And what does it have to do with the current administration?  I'm not seeing anything about white privilege that I haven't been seeing for a couple of years now.

Short version: the "you" are angry black folks who feel the white man/woman is against them and vomits all manner of discontent against whites for every single thing wrong in their lives. The white privilege shtick comes mostly from white progressives. 

Tell me what I wrote about how black folks are mostly oppressed by their own is wrong. I didn't even go into the victim mentality blacks face from their own ranks. 

What I wrote comes from personal experience working with black folks who would talk freely among themselves about all kinds of subjects. It comes from conversations some were willing to have with me because I was genuine in wanting to know why they had the mindset they did, and they knew it. It comes from living in the same neighborhood and seeing with my own eyes the "politics" of the ghetto. Of living two houses down from a drug house and hearing and seeing things. 

Okay, I need to eat lunch.

(02-08-2021, 02:06 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(02-08-2021, 01:34 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: Is someone haranguing you about white privilege?   What happened that caused you to write that?  And who is the "you" you are addressing?

Short version: the "you" are angry black folks who feel the white man/woman is against them and vomits all manner of discontent against whites for every single thing wrong in their lives. The white privilege shtick comes mostly from white progressives. 

Tell me what I wrote about how black folks are mostly oppressed by their own is wrong. I didn't even go into the victim mentality blacks face from their own ranks. 

What I wrote comes from personal experience working with black folks who would talk freely among themselves about all kinds of subjects. It comes from conversations some were willing to have with me because I was genuine in wanting to know why they had the mindset they did, and they knew it. It comes from living in the same neighborhood and seeing with my own eyes the "politics" of the ghetto. Of living two houses down from a drug house and hearing and seeing things. 

I don't meet a lot of angry black folks.  I meet a lot of friendly ones, who don't seem to be seething with resentment in the way you describe.  They're just going about their lives, trying to make a living and doing the best they can for themselves and their families.  

Really, the only place I see any discussion of "white privilege" is on the Huffington Post or some liberal outpost like that.  Where are you seeing it? 

You have to admit, in general, white people have had advantages over black people historically.  There has been some "privilege" if you want to call it that.  Admitting it doesn't mean I want to give up anything I have.  

Watch out for people trying to make you angry for their own purposes.  There are some people in this country who would like to see the races pitted against each other, and it seems like someone has managed to trigger you.  There's a lot of manipulation going on out there.  From the left and from the right.

(02-08-2021, 02:06 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote:

This is where I think people get most confused. The "you" is progressive liberals. MOST blacks pick up the sentiment from the narrative, but they know that most whites don't actually hate them. Much like the narrative can make blacks interpret otherwise innocuous encounters with racism, it can also make whites interpret the negative interactions with blacks in a similar manner. If we could target our ire at the progressives, a LOT of this division would disappear overnight.

All I know is my White Privilege Card was denied at Lynch's yesterday during the Super Bowl and I had to buy full price beer.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Sadly the straw that broke me this morning was a comment in my online bible study group that, while factual, cascaded into a lot of things that don't belong in that setting in an open forum. 

It brought up a lot of anger. I am not responsible for how the black community is treated. I am only responsible for how I personally treat anyone. That's all I have control over. To constantly hear and read otherwise is getting old. I recognize many in the black community has anger toward the white community going back to the days of slavery and everything that has happened since, but living in the past is not progress. Holding onto anger doesn't change anything. 

I know what it is to be so angry you want to hurt everyone around you just so they can't hurt you. I had a lot of anger towards several people in my life who most definitely and directly affected me in negative ways. I was in bad shape mentally. At some point I had to work through it and let it go before it literally killed me. That seems to be where a lot of people are these days and it's sad.

That woman referee last night had white privilege for sure.

(02-08-2021, 02:41 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: I don't meet a lot of angry black folks.  I meet a lot of friendly ones, who don't seem to be seething with resentment in the way you describe.  They're just going about their lives, trying to make a living and doing the best they can for themselves and their families.  

Really, the only place I see any discussion of "white privilege" is on the Huffington Post or some liberal outpost like that.  Where are you seeing it? 

You have to admit, in general, white people have had advantages over black people historically.  There has been some "privilege" if you want to call it that.  Admitting it doesn't mean I want to give up anything I have.  

Watch out for people trying to make you angry for their own purposes.  There are some people in this country who would like to see the races pitted against each other, and it seems like someone has managed to trigger you.  There's a lot of manipulation going on out there.  From the left and from the right.

(02-08-2021, 03:41 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: This is where I think people get most confused. The "you" is progressive liberals. MOST blacks pick up the sentiment from the narrative, but they know that most whites don't actually hate them. Much like the narrative can make blacks interpret otherwise innocuous encounters with racism, it can also make whites interpret the negative interactions with blacks in a similar manner. If we could target our ire at the progressives, a LOT of this division would disappear overnight.

I agree with you both. It can get confusing when you can't actually see who you talk to or whose comments you're reading on message boards or comment sections. I agree that a lot of black folks are just trying to get along in life, just like the rest of the world, but it's the very vocal few who are very loud and everywhere that gets your attention. Everything that has happened racially since George Floyd died has been amplified in MSM and social media, hollywood, etc., and all you hear is how people want reparations, you see property being destroyed, you hear about how the white man ruined lives in the days of slavery (which is true but another topic entirely) and so on. You can't even turn on a new episode of a tv show without being confronted for your white privilege.

Have I had the advantage in some things because I'm white? Probably. But I don't pull out a white privilege card to get what I want. And to be told that I have what I have because of white privilege would be absurd to anyone who actually knows any dang thing about me and my life. 

As a veteran I have advantages over civilians. Should I be shamed for that too?

I'm stuck somewhere in the middle on this one.  I am not white, so I don't have a "white privilege card", yet I am conservative and to many it means the same thing.

I'm not black either, yet the people of my heritage were discriminated against and "oppressed".  My mother told me many stories of what it was like growing up Hispanic and going to public school.  It was not good.

With that being said I do think that there is a very big difference between my culture and "typical urban black" culture.  We did not destroy things, rather we worked together many times to make things better.  We never "looked down" on others that were successful rather we strived to do the same thing.  Sure there are many that are not part of the "norm" (see East L.A. as an example) but for the most part most Hispanic families are hard working and dedicated to family.

Now I am not by any means saying that all black families are bad or that their culture is bad.  What I am addressing is the culture of "keeping quiet" and not telling police about crime in their neighborhoods.  I am talking about how some get shamed by their own people for "talking too white" or doing well in school.  The ones that label other blacks with a conservative viewpoint as "sellouts" or "Uncle Tom".

In contrast you have a couple of different segments of white people.  A very small minority are indeed racist and discriminatory.  You have another large segment that are part of the left that pushes the whole "white privilege" narrative.  Unfortunately some of them have come into power within the democrat party.  Then you have the vast majority of white people that judge people by the content of their character rather than the color of their skin.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(This post was last modified: 02-09-2021, 01:43 PM by mikesez.)

There is a version of right wing politics that is race neutral and benevolent to all races.
You can focus on that version, but you also have to admit that not everyone under the right wing tent is there for those reasons.
You have to cope with what Lee Atwater said about campaign strategy before he died.
You have to either admit that you're OK sharing a tent with those racists as long as you both get to "own the libs" or whatever, or you have to devote your life to outing and muting those people, to cleaning your own house.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

There’s plenty of racists under the left wing tent also. But rather than marginalize minorities, they leverage them for political gain.

(02-09-2021, 02:32 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: There’s plenty of racists under the left wing tent also. But rather than marginalize minorities, they leverage them for political gain.

That's a stretch, bro.
You concede that a racism that marginalizes minorities is bad. Thank you.
But if a racial minority is mostly unified in their policy goals, and chooses to join a political party in pursuit of those policy goals, does it make that party racist for accepting them and aligning their goals?

(This post was last modified: 02-09-2021, 08:09 PM by Lucky2Last.)

It's a stretch to say that racism is part of the conservative platform, yet you throw it out there like it's a fact. Show me one mainstream political figure that is courting racists.

(02-09-2021, 08:09 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: It's a stretch to say that racism is part of the conservative platform, yet you throw it out there like it's a fact. Show me one mainstream political figure that is courting racists.

I'm not going to post the quote due to the repeated racial slur in it, but, pull up Wikipedia's article on Lee Atwater and do a word search on 1954.

Lol. So that's how this works?

(This post was last modified: 02-10-2021, 12:58 PM by wrong_box.)

This is a topic which will always be hotly debated. My job has a requirement that after 90 days employment you have to go into Union. This Union is  minority owned and driven towards racial equality or so they say...First let me say I dont give a [BLEEP] what color your skin is, all I expect is for everyone to do their job and follow the same rules and be treated the same across the board. I work in a production cabinet factory.  Here's how it works at my company. If a non minority worker doesn't like his assigned job, he/she has no recourse but to do his job or bid (and win) for another job which are few and far between...If a minority doesn't like his job, he/she refuses to do their job until they get moved somewhere else...If the non minority people do that, they are written up until they either get enough write ups to terminate them, or they quit, while the minority people get moved...IF they actually do write up a minority, they file a grievance for racism and the company caves...

Perfect example happened last night. The CEO told every department supervisor to walk around the entire plant several times per shift looking for anyone not wearing their safety glasses, ear plugs, face masks not over their nose, and any other personal protection as required... 1st shift had 22 write ups, 2nd had about the same, and IDK about 3rd... Both minority and non minority  people were included...One minority girl in addition to not wearing her face mask covering her nose, also got caught wearing ear buds and listening to music... Even though some non minority people got written up for wearing ear buds too, she started yelling that she got written up because she was black and immediately filed a grievance with the Union and the company took both of her write ups away along with several others who claimed they were written up because they were minority workers...

I have only been at this company about 4 years, this is an every day theme,and  being in construction in several different trades through over 2 decades, I have seen this in both Union and non Union companies so I can't see the white privilege...I know racism is abundant, but I have seen the minorities play the race card countless times and companies scared to stand up and say BULL [BLEEP]!!!! They are so paranoid about lawsuits they cave to avoid any racism allegations...

Can I trade some of my “white privilege” for the privileges other races are and have been getting? Asking for a white friend of mine.