Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
My 'white privilege' is not oppressing you

How can you say that with a straight face?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

You can't make this stuff up.  Mathematics is racist.

Quote:Part of the toolkit includes a list of ways "white supremacy culture" allegedly "infiltrates math classrooms." Those include "the focus is on getting the 'right' answer," students being "required to 'show their work,'" and other alleged manifestations.

So as far as math, the focus of getting the correct answer and showing your work is because of "white supremacy culture".

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(02-12-2021, 10:32 AM)jagibelieve Wrote: You can't make this stuff up.  Mathematics is racist.

Quote:Part of the toolkit includes a list of ways "white supremacy culture" allegedly "infiltrates math classrooms." Those include "the focus is on getting the 'right' answer," students being "required to 'show their work,'" and other alleged manifestations.

So as far as math, the focus of getting the correct answer and showing your work is because of "white supremacy culture".

I’m sure the purveyors of this dreck wouldn’t fly on a plane if told the engineers didn’t always have the correct calculations when designing it.

This is the leftist racism to which I alluded. The left has loudly and clearly pronounced that “ethno” people are not intelligent enough to grasp mathematical concepts, so it must be dumbed down. And what do they do? Leverage it for political gain, of course, by drawing parallels between difficulty and white supremacy.

(02-12-2021, 10:32 AM)jagibelieve Wrote: You can't make this stuff up.  Mathematics is racist.

Achievement, accuracy, and facts are the hallmark of White Culture I guess. What does that tell you about their beliefs regarding non-white cultures?
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

There is a nugget of wisdom here -
A good math question is only going to have one right answer, yes.
The student should be able to use the information given and find it.
The student should also be made aware, that in real life situations, that some of the information given may be inaccurate, and they should be able to show how changes in some of the information they were given might change their answer.
However, none of this has anything to do with race, of course.
This teacher is probably trying to tie this tweak in the math curriculum to racism simply to get attention and make people afraid of opposing her.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(02-12-2021, 01:05 PM)mikesez Wrote:

There is a nugget of wisdom here -
The student should also be made aware, that in real life situations, that some of the information given may be inaccurate, and they should be able to show how changes in some of the information they were given might change their answer.
This teacher is probably trying to tie this tweak in the math curriculum to racism simply to get attention and make people afraid of opposing her.

And you're just now realizing this type of thing is happening?
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

(02-12-2021, 09:20 AM)mikesez Wrote:
(02-11-2021, 10:31 PM)jj82284 Wrote: 22 million but declining.  He wrote that.  

The great society was the forerunner of the community based society and the abolition of the nuclear family.  That lead to the desolation of the community through crime and drugs.  

U can spew a lot about Lee Atwater, but you don't understand basic causal relationships or the legacy of modern progressivism.

What are Republicans doing to reduce abortion in the US today?
What are Republicans doing to strengthen nuclear families, particularly black nuclear families, today?
You can tell a simplified version of our history where Democrats of the past are the only villains, but even if you believe it, you forget that both parties have changed since then, and neither party is really working on those issues.  You're like Kramer who is finally ending his one-man strike at the bagel shop. You're focused on old news.

Trying to outlaw the practice for what, 48 years now?  Come on man!

(This post was last modified: 02-12-2021, 02:31 PM by mikesez.)

(02-12-2021, 01:41 PM)Sneakers Wrote:
(02-12-2021, 01:05 PM)mikesez Wrote: There is a nugget of wisdom here -

And you're just now realizing this type of thing is happening?

No, my point is that the curriculum itself is probably beneficial to the students.  I didn't see an indication in the article that race would actually be discussed as part of math class, or that they hoped to treat any student differently based on race.

(02-12-2021, 01:59 PM)jj82284 Wrote:
(02-12-2021, 09:20 AM)mikesez Wrote: What are Republicans doing to reduce abortion in the US today?
What are Republicans doing to strengthen nuclear families, particularly black nuclear families, today?
You can tell a simplified version of our history where Democrats of the past are the only villains, but even if you believe it, you forget that both parties have changed since then, and neither party is really working on those issues.  You're like Kramer who is finally ending his one-man strike at the bagel shop. You're focused on old news.

Trying to outlaw the practice for what, 48 years now?  Come on man!

For all of 2017 and all of 2018, they had majorities in the house, Senate, state legislatures, and the us supreme court. They had the presidency.
Yet there are no new enforced abortion laws at any level of government to show for those two full years.
Are they really trying?
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

Math nowadays is ridiculous. I was trying to help my niece with her math homework. She is in elementary school. It was just simple stuff and I taught her about lining the numbers up into columns and we came out with the right answers. My sister came home and looked it over and made my niece re-do it. She said that's not the way they are taught anymore and her teacher wants to see it done the right way or she won't give the kids credit. I was baffled! I told her there is only one way to do the problem and we came out with the right answer. She said they no longer teach kids about lining the numbers up into columns and they teach them a new process that they use in Asia. What the crap! Who cares what process you use as long as you come out with the right answer? Why are we further complicating things by changing a tried and true process that has worked for centuries? Meanwhile, kids are graduating and they don't know how to sign their name, because they no longer teach cursive and they have no idea how to figure out a mortgage or an interest rate or daily life skills. They can do Asian math though, so everything is alright. Our educational system is failing.

(This post was last modified: 02-12-2021, 05:46 PM by NewJagsCity.)

(02-12-2021, 02:52 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:

Math nowadays is ridiculous. I was trying to help my niece with her math homework. She is in elementary school. It was just simple stuff and I taught her about lining the numbers up into columns and we came out with the right answers. My sister came home and looked it over and made my niece re-do it. She said that's not the way they are taught anymore and her teacher wants to see it done the right way or she won't give the kids credit. I was baffled! I told her there is only one way to do the problem and we came out with the right answer. She said they no longer teach kids about lining the numbers up into columns and they teach them a new process that they use in Asia. What the crap! Who cares what process you use as long as you come out with the right answer? Why are we further complicating things by changing a tried and true process that has worked for centuries? Meanwhile, kids are graduating and they don't know how to sign their name, because they no longer teach cursive and they have no idea how to figure out a mortgage or an interest rate or daily life skills. They can do Asian math though, so everything is alright. Our educational system is failing.

I'm a computer science major who has had more math than I care to remember, and I endorse this message.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

(02-12-2021, 02:52 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:

I'm curious as to how the Asian method works. How many different ways are there to figure numbers?

The fact of the matter is all solutions to math have a "right" answer or "correct" answer.  There is no in between.  Unlike how liberals view gender a math problem is binary.  Either 1 or 0, true or false.  There may be more than one way to come up with the correct answer, and "showing your work" displays how you came up with the answer.  What exactly does any of this have to do with "white supremacy"?

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Math used to a universal truth. As JIB stated, 1+1=2. There is no debate unless you have an agenda.
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

(02-12-2021, 05:51 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(02-12-2021, 02:52 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Math nowadays is ridiculous. I was trying to help my niece with her math homework. She is in elementary school. It was just simple stuff and I taught her about lining the numbers up into columns and we came out with the right answers. My sister came home and looked it over and made my niece re-do it. She said that's not the way they are taught anymore and her teacher wants to see it done the right way or she won't give the kids credit. I was baffled! I told her there is only one way to do the problem and we came out with the right answer. She said they no longer teach kids about lining the numbers up into columns and they teach them a new process that they use in Asia. What the crap! Who cares what process you use as long as you come out with the right answer? Why are we further complicating things by changing a tried and true process that has worked for centuries? Meanwhile, kids are graduating and they don't know how to sign their name, because they no longer teach cursive and they have no idea how to figure out a mortgage or an interest rate or daily life skills. They can do Asian math though, so everything is alright. Our educational system is failing.

I'm curious as to how the Asian method works. How many different ways are there to figure numbers?
Our way
32-12= 20

12+3=15
15+5=20
20+10=30
30+2=32

3+5+10+2=20

(This post was last modified: 02-12-2021, 09:29 PM by Jags.)

(02-12-2021, 05:51 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(02-12-2021, 02:52 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Math nowadays is ridiculous. I was trying to help my niece with her math homework. She is in elementary school. It was just simple stuff and I taught her about lining the numbers up into columns and we came out with the right answers. My sister came home and looked it over and made my niece re-do it. She said that's not the way they are taught anymore and her teacher wants to see it done the right way or she won't give the kids credit. I was baffled! I told her there is only one way to do the problem and we came out with the right answer. She said they no longer teach kids about lining the numbers up into columns and they teach them a new process that they use in Asia. What the crap! Who cares what process you use as long as you come out with the right answer? Why are we further complicating things by changing a tried and true process that has worked for centuries? Meanwhile, kids are graduating and they don't know how to sign their name, because they no longer teach cursive and they have no idea how to figure out a mortgage or an interest rate or daily life skills. They can do Asian math though, so everything is alright. Our educational system is failing.

I’ve got the same question.  I’m also lost on “lining up numbers in a column”.  Perhaps that was after my time. 

Am I the only one that’s gotten the answer wrong then zeroed in on the right one by plugging other numbers in?   That was the  last resort for me.  But either way, you have to know “enough” to figure it out.  And once you do, you usually figure out why you had it wrong in the first place.

I also find it funny math “skills” are a part of “white supremacy”.  If that were truly the case, wouldn’t it be Asian supremacy?