Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Why we remain divided

(This post was last modified: 02-09-2021, 02:49 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(02-09-2021, 09:05 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(02-09-2021, 08:11 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: If anyone poses a response in this thread that includes something like, "but the liberals" or "but the conservatives," then you are part of the problem. You have to acknowledge that this rift is caused by both sides. Not just one or the other. If you can't see this then you are biased and contributing to this divide.

I think there is a difference between an "emotional" divide and a divide caused by a polar opposite of opinions than a divide that ends in violence or writing actual published articles about hating your neighbor for cleaning snow off your driveway. Liberals are responsible for the latter 9/10 times.

For instance, I can be cordial with a set of adults who think people born with a penis should be able to participate in women's sports, but I, nor my children would ever hang out with them.

That's just not true. It's 50/50, but you are so far right and have bought into all the lies that Trump told you that you just can't or refuse to see it. If we can just get rid of the hatefulness and name calling by both sides, it would be an improvement. We can't even do that on a Jaguars political forum though, so I have little hope it can be done on a large scale. Moderates like myself are getting phased out in this country and it's sad. I used to identify as a Republican back in the Reagan era, but now I don't even recognize the party, so I became an Independent. I have no plans to change that. Right now, both sides of the aisle sicken me.

(02-09-2021, 10:55 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Judging from the posts in this thread, it seems like most people's opinions as to why we remain divided fall into the category of "because the other side is evil."

EXACTLY! It's always someone else's fault.

(02-09-2021, 10:58 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(02-09-2021, 10:55 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Judging from the posts in this thread, it seems like most people's opinions as to why we remain divided fall into the category of "because the other side is evil."

Do you want to know why we are divided? The MSM. There is your answer. The MSM has always been the problem. Social Media just happens to be an amplifier that never existed before.

I agree with that. That is why I have no social media presence.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 02-09-2021, 02:53 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(02-09-2021, 11:10 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:

I honestly can’t help but believe you are intentionally ignoring the conversation.

We get it, Marty, you’re the “moderate”. But in even more honesty, I think simply you take the side which you interpret as getting the most support or least resistance. Only my opinion, but that’s how I see it.

I agree with Marty 100%. If you can't see that what he is saying rings true, then you can't recognize your own biases.

(02-09-2021, 11:17 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:

One side thinks America is evil. I don't think the other side can be united with them if that's their position going forward.

No. That is your interpretation. No one thinks America is evil, but both sides think certain Americans are evil.

(This post was last modified: 02-09-2021, 02:55 PM by homebiscuit.)

(02-09-2021, 02:44 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(02-09-2021, 09:05 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: I think there is a difference between an "emotional" divide and a divide caused by a polar opposite of opinions than a divide that ends in violence or writing actual published articles about hating your neighbor for cleaning snow off your driveway. Liberals are responsible for the latter 9/10 times.

For instance, I can be cordial with a set of adults who think people born with a penis should be able to participate in women's sports, but I, nor my children would ever hang out with them.

That's just not true. It's 50/50, but you are so far right and have bought into all the lies that Trump told you that you just can't or refuse to see it. If we can just get rid of the hatefulness and name calling by both sides, it would be an improvement. We can't even do that on a Jaguars political forum though, so I have little hope it can be done on a large scale. Moderates like myself are getting phased out in this country and it's sad. I used to identify as a Republican back in the Reagan era, but now I don't even recognize the party, so I became an Independent. I have no plans to change that. Right now, both sides of the aisle sicken me.

(02-09-2021, 10:58 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Do you want to know why we are divided? The MSM. There is your answer. The MSM has always been the problem. Social Media just happens to be an amplifier that never existed before.

I’m confused. Are you saying SC had no strong opinions before Trump? 

And aren’t you laying the fault on Trump? You literally talked in a circle.

(02-09-2021, 02:51 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(02-09-2021, 11:10 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: I honestly can’t help but believe you are intentionally ignoring the conversation.

We get it, Marty, you’re the “moderate”. But in even more honesty, I think simply you take the side which you interpret as getting the most support or least resistance. Only my opinion, but that’s how I see it.

I agree with Marty 100%. If you can't see that what he is saying rings true, then you can't recognize your own biases.

(02-09-2021, 11:17 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: One side thinks America is evil. I don't think the other side can be united with them if that's their position going forward.

No. That is your interpretation. No one thinks America is evil, but both sides think certain Americans are evil.

You don’t have biases? 

Again, your being childishly simplistic.

(This post was last modified: 02-09-2021, 03:05 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(02-09-2021, 02:53 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(02-09-2021, 02:44 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: That's just not true. It's 50/50, but you are so far right and have bought into all the lies that Trump told you that you just can't or refuse to see it. If we can just get rid of the hatefulness and name calling by both sides, it would be an improvement. We can't even do that on a Jaguars political forum though, so I have little hope it can be done on a large scale. Moderates like myself are getting phased out in this country and it's sad. I used to identify as a Republican back in the Reagan era, but now I don't even recognize the party, so I became an Independent. I have no plans to change that. Right now, both sides of the aisle sicken me.

I'm sure he did have strong opinions before Trump, but I've noticed a distinct change in how several posters voice their opinions when Trump took office. The rhetoric became angrier and more intensified.

Hell no! Are you intentionally skipping the parts of my posts where I say the division is caused by both sides 50/50? How much clearer can I be? Both sides are feeding off the hatred the other side projects and it's making the divide wider and wider. No one wants to take any personal accountability anymore. People on both sides want all of the blame to be placed on the other and that's the problem.

(02-09-2021, 02:53 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(02-09-2021, 02:44 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: That's just not true. It's 50/50, but you are so far right and have bought into all the lies that Trump told you that you just can't or refuse to see it. If we can just get rid of the hatefulness and name calling by both sides, it would be an improvement. We can't even do that on a Jaguars political forum though, so I have little hope it can be done on a large scale. Moderates like myself are getting phased out in this country and it's sad. I used to identify as a Republican back in the Reagan era, but now I don't even recognize the party, so I became an Independent. I have no plans to change that. Right now, both sides of the aisle sicken me.

(02-09-2021, 02:51 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I agree with Marty 100%. If you can't see that what he is saying rings true, then you can't recognize your own biases.

You don’t have biases? 

I do have some biases. The difference is that I recognize I do and I admit them, but I still can recognize that I'm not right all the time. I can take responsibility for my own mistakes and not try to pin them on someone else. How is this being simplistic? It sounds to me like you don't want one side to take any accountability what so ever.

(02-09-2021, 03:01 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(02-09-2021, 02:53 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: I’m confused. Are you saying SC had no strong opinions before Trump? 

I'm sure he did have strong opinions before Trump, but I've noticed a distinct change in how several posters voice their opinions when Trump took office. The rhetoric became angrier and more intensified.

Hell no! Are you intentionally skipping the parts of my posts where I say the division is caused by both sides 50/50? How much clearer can I be? Both sides are feeding off the hatred the other side projects and it's making the divide wider and wider. No one wants to take any personal accountability anymore. People on both sides want all of the blame to be placed on the other and that's the problem.

(02-09-2021, 02:53 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: I’m confused. Are you saying SC had no strong opinions before Trump? 

You don’t have biases? 

I do have some biases. The difference is that I recognize I do and I admit them, but I still can recognize that I'm not right all the time. I can take responsibility for my own mistakes and not try to pin them on someone else. How is this being simplistic? It sounds to me like you don't want one side to take any accountability what so ever.

Not so. I would love for the left to be held accountable for their ad hominem attacks and hateful rhetoric.

(02-09-2021, 02:51 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(02-09-2021, 11:10 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: I honestly can’t help but believe you are intentionally ignoring the conversation.

(02-09-2021, 11:17 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: One side thinks America is evil. I don't think the other side can be united with them if that's their position going forward.

Lol, you clearly aren't paying attention, which you seem to readily admit, and yet you still have such strongly moderate opinions. It's the Burden of the Squish you suffer.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 02-09-2021, 04:10 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(02-09-2021, 03:42 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(02-09-2021, 03:01 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I'm sure he did have strong opinions before Trump, but I've noticed a distinct change in how several posters voice their opinions when Trump took office. The rhetoric became angrier and more intensified.

Not so. I would love for the left to be held accountable for their ad hominem attacks and hateful rhetoric.

Again, you're only blaming one side.

(02-09-2021, 03:52 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(02-09-2021, 02:51 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I agree with Marty 100%. If you can't see that what he is saying rings true, then you can't recognize your own biases.

Lol, you clearly aren't paying attention, which you seem to readily admit, and yet you still have such strongly moderate opinions. It's the Burden of the Squish you suffer.

Paying attention to what? The right blames the left and the left blames the right. No one takes any responsibility for their part. Seems simple enough to me.

(This post was last modified: 02-09-2021, 04:35 PM by mikesez.)

(02-09-2021, 04:08 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(02-09-2021, 03:42 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Not so. I would love for the left to be held accountable for their ad hominem attacks and hateful rhetoric.

Again, you're only blaming one side.

(02-09-2021, 03:52 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Lol, you clearly aren't paying attention, which you seem to readily admit, and yet you still have such strongly moderate opinions. It's the Burden of the Squish you suffer.

Paying attention to what? The right blames the left and the left blames the right. No one takes any responsibility for their part. Seems simple enough to me.

A commendable effort, but you can't reach people who don't want to be reached.
The self satisfied and self righteous don't believe that need anything, so they see no need to give anything in conversation either.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(02-09-2021, 04:34 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(02-09-2021, 04:08 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Again, you're only blaming one side.

A commendable effort, but you can't reach people who don't want to be reached.
The self satisfied and self righteous don't believe that need anything, so they see no need to give anything in conversation either.

Agreed. Yet these are the type of people who complain loudest about the divide. They want the divide to close, but only if you agree with them on everything.

(02-09-2021, 04:39 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(02-09-2021, 04:34 PM)mikesez Wrote: A commendable effort, but you can't reach people who don't want to be reached.

Agreed. Yet these are the type of people who complain loudest about the divide. They want the divide to close, but only if you agree with them on everything.

We all want the divide to close.
We would all prefer if people would just agree with us.
The difference is, you and I come here willing to learn something and entertain the possibility that we are wrong or misinformed, and not everyone does.

I just saw a truck in the Home Depot parking lot flying a huge flag off the bumper stylized in the Trump campaign motif but with a black background and white lettering. At the top in caption that had to be 12" tall it read:

F... 
Biden

In smaller font below it read:

And f... you too for voting for him

What an absolute moron. Not only for the message but also for the complete disregard for families with children who have to look at that idiotic assault on the senses. 

I hope he gets his [BLEEP] kicked.

(02-21-2021, 01:38 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: I just saw a truck in the Home Depot parking lot flying a huge flag off the bumper stylized in the Trump campaign motif but with a black background and white lettering. At the top in caption that had to be 12" tall it read:

F... 
Biden

What an absolute moron. Not only for the message but also for the complete disregard for families with children who have to look at that idiotic assault on the senses. 

Yeah.. total disregard for families with small children..

Any idea where he got it and if they come in different sizes?

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

(02-21-2021, 02:18 PM)WingerDinger Wrote:
(02-21-2021, 01:38 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: I just saw a truck in the Home Depot parking lot flying a huge flag off the bumper stylized in the Trump campaign motif but with a black background and white lettering. At the top in caption that had to be 12" tall it read:

F... 
Biden

Yeah.. total disregard for families with small children..

Any idea where he got it and if they come in different sizes?

Amazon.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Why are we divided?
People think ticking off other people is entertainment, that's why.
I speak my mind here too much, but I don't tick people off on purpose.
Yet people here come after me on purpose and I usually come right back at them.
It's not amusing to me, but seems to amuse many of you.
The result is division purely as entertainment, at least in this case.

(02-21-2021, 04:33 PM)mikesez Wrote: Why are we divided?

No worries, I don't think many posters take you seriously..

I think most people get upset with others when those others try to pass their opinions off as facts, when indeed they are, just opinions..

(02-21-2021, 04:46 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: I think most people get upset with others when those others try to pass their opinions off as facts, when indeed they are, just opinions..

And so on and so on.

(02-21-2021, 04:41 PM)WingerDinger Wrote:

Correct thought.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(This post was last modified: 02-21-2021, 05:01 PM by mikesez.)

(02-21-2021, 04:41 PM)WingerDinger Wrote:

True, but you are one of the people I'm talking about. Ticking people off is entertainment for you.
You do it to lots of people, not just me.

(02-21-2021, 04:46 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: I think most people get upset with others when those others try to pass their opinions off as facts, when indeed they are, just opinions..

That's immature.
This is an internet forum. 
People make statements here.
If you make a statement here, fully conscious that it's just your opinion, someone else might read it and interpret your tone as you trying to present facts.
That person shouldn't get mad at you,
And you shouldn't get mad at them.
Just say, "fine, but that's just your opinion."
Then they'll say, "yeah, I guess so."
No one needs to get their underwear in a wad.

(02-21-2021, 04:57 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(02-21-2021, 04:41 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: No worries, I don't think many posters take you seriously..

True, but you are one of the people I'm talking about. Ticking people off is entertainment for you.
You do it to lots of people, not just me.

That's immature.
This is an internet forum. 
People make statements here.
If you make a statement here, fully conscious that it's just your opinion, someone else might read it and interpret your tone as you trying to present facts.
That person shouldn't get mad at you,
And you shouldn't get mad at them.
Just say, "fine, but that's just your opinion."
Then they'll say, "yeah, I guess so."
No one needs to get their underwear in a wad.

Triggered.