Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
3-4 base defense official?

Gunter retired due to a heart issue I believe

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(02-16-2021, 05:05 AM)Craigukjag Wrote: Gunter retired due to a heart issue I believe

Yep you are right after doing some reading.  I guess i was thinking he had opted out because of the rona.

(02-16-2021, 08:57 PM)surfon Wrote:
(02-16-2021, 05:05 AM)Craigukjag Wrote: Gunter retired due to a heart issue I believe

Yep you are right after doing some reading.  I guess i was thinking he had opted out because of the rona.

That was Woods, McCray, and that CB Melvin dude.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(02-15-2021, 11:24 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(02-15-2021, 09:19 AM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: Lmao what kind of madden fake rookie class names are these. Lord lmao

????????? Do you watch college football at all? Odighizuwa plays for UCLA, Onwuzurike plays for Washington, Randall plays for Charleston, Spencer plays for Mississippi State, Johnson plays for Colorado and Clemons plays for Texas A&M. Look it up.

A draft pod I was listening to yesterday had Bobby Brown as one of their favorite sleepers. Said his tape was as good as anyone's after you get past Barmore and McNeil. What do you think of him?

(02-16-2021, 11:18 PM)Upper Wrote:
(02-15-2021, 11:24 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: ????????? Do you watch college football at all? Odighizuwa plays for UCLA, Onwuzurike plays for Washington, Randall plays for Charleston, Spencer plays for Mississippi State, Johnson plays for Colorado and Clemons plays for Texas A&M. Look it up.

A draft pod I was listening to yesterday had Bobby Brown as one of their favorite sleepers. Said his tape was as good as anyone's after you get past Barmore and McNeil. What do you think of him?

I really like Brown. To me, he is exactly what DaVon Hamilton is. He's a pure NT. On running downs, I would love to see Brown lined up next to Hamilton in a 4-3 set. The run defense would be so much better. I would to add Brown if we were purely running a 4-3 scheme, but imo, if we are running a 3-4 set, one of them would have to come off the field. I just don't see either as a 5 technique. I think they are NT's who could also play 3 technique, but not DE in a 3-4. 

I believe teams like Houston, Dallas, Minnesota, Denver, Oakland and Detroit will be targeting Brown in that 3rd or 4th round range.

3-4 base announced

https://twitter.com/_John_Shipley/status...59076?s=19

Pretty much called it. It'll take two years to fully transfer to a 3 4
Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

This was very obvious based on the fact that we hired an ILB coach and an OLB coach and based on the D-Linemen we added in free agency.

(04-12-2021, 12:30 PM)JaG4LyFe Wrote: Pretty much called it. It'll take two years to fully transfer to a 3 4

(04-12-2021, 12:35 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: This was very obvious based on the fact that we hired an ILB coach and an OLB coach and based on the D-Linemen we added in free agency.

Agreed with both sentiments.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(04-12-2021, 12:35 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: This was very obvious based on the fact that we hired an ILB coach and an OLB coach and based on the D-Linemen we added in free agency.

I didn't say it yesterday
Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

(This post was last modified: 04-12-2021, 06:19 PM by ATLjag.)

With a 3-4 base, and assuming Cullen patterns the defense after the Ravens positioning and numbers at each position (using Ravens 1st released 9/20 depth chart), the Jags defense currently may look like this....

DTinterior: Bryan, Costin, Gotsis (could see Hamilton/Smoot starting here also)
NTinterior: Brown, Hamilton
DEinterior: Robertson-Harris, Ward
Rush/OLB: Allen, Smoot
WLB: Jack, Wilson, Williams
MLB: Schobert, Quarterman
SAM/OLB: Chaisson, McCray
LCB: Griffin, Jones, Herndon
SS: Thomas, Ford
FS: Jenkins, Wilson
RCB: Henderson, Claybrooks

With using the Ravens depth chart as a pattern, it appears to me that the Jags roster has some "opportunities".

The loss of Alualu at the DT position weakens the spot. Hamilton can play the spot, but then a NT backup or rotational piece is needed. Smoot has been mentioned by some to play the role, but does he have the size to be the 3 down player there? If Smoot does start there, a void is opened behind Allen at rush. I am just not sold on Bryan, Costin, or Gotsis as possible starters at DT. I think we'll see a starter-level draft pick used at the DT position.

A backup or rotation behind either Allen and/or Chaisson is needed. Can Jacobs play in a rush position, or does he challenge for a role at the WLB spot? Does McCray have anything left in the tank? The battle for Jack's backup at WLB has many suitors on the roster. If the Jags only keep 4 safeties as the Ravens did, some names will fall, especially if they want to upgrade the starter opposite Jenkins in the draft.

...this was an interesting exercise for me.

Link to Ravens 2020 1st release depth chart (FYI):
https://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/rav...rt-of-2020

(This post was last modified: 04-12-2021, 04:30 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

I dont see Damien Wilson on there. He will get one of the LB spots

(04-12-2021, 12:55 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(04-12-2021, 12:30 PM)JaG4LyFe Wrote: Pretty much called it. It'll take two years to fully transfer to a 3 4

Agreed with both sentiments.

Why? What else needs to be done exactly?
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(04-12-2021, 04:28 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I dont see Damien Wilson on there.  He will get one of the LB spots
....good catch

“Welcome to the NFL Draft, how may I take your order?”
“Uhhh yeah... Let me get a uhhhh Jaelan Phillips at 25”

(This post was last modified: 04-12-2021, 08:58 PM by ATLjag.)

(04-12-2021, 06:36 PM)Black and Teal Wrote: “Welcome to the NFL Draft, how may I take your order?”
“Uhhh yeah... Let me get a uhhhh Jaelan Phillips at 25”
Jaelan may make it to pick 1-25, largely due to his injury history/risk.  In his 2 seasons at UCLA, he had significant wrist damage in a moped accident, sprains of both ankles, and three documented separate concussions that caused him to medically retire from football at UCLA.  He transferred to Miami in 2019, to continue studies (not to play football).  In 2019, he did not play, but missed the game.  In 2020, he came back to football, and showed impressive skills and production, solidly that of a round 1 pick.  The risk is he may be one hit away, one more brain injury away, from exiting football.  Most doctors will tell you that each successive concussion makes it easier to get another one.

As talented as he is, I think the concussion risk would keep me from using a 1st round pick if I were GM.

(This post was last modified: 04-12-2021, 09:07 PM by JagFanatic24.)

It’s a change of the seasons boys! I haven’t been this excited for a season to start since we lost up in New England back in the 1996 season.

I was pumped up when we drafted Fred Taylor back in 1998. And I was pumped up for the season after we lost to the Titans back in 1999...bc i wanted to go back to the AFC title game.

The 2017 year after Sacksonvikle took us to the AFC title game, I was kinda pumped but I knew 2018 would not be as good to us bc we caught a ton of breaks in 2017, and Grant was pretty special that year.

But as far as the most hyped I’ve ever been would be this season. We got the #1 overall pick and we’re about to recoup all those seasons lost ever since we drafted Byron Leftwich when Minnesota let the clock run out. For some weird reason I feel like that moment cursed our team. I’m just happy to be a Jag right now.

Go Jags