Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Urban's Interesting Statement - O Line pretty good

(08-24-2021, 12:34 PM)CTEisREAL Wrote: I think Lawrence by himself is not that good.  Behind this OL he'll be David Carr 2.0

It seemed that things started moving better the less he stayed on script/in the pocket. I imagine if the blocking does not improve, we'll see him running into a lot of sacks trying to get out of pocket.

gonna be a long year.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(08-24-2021, 12:42 PM)Hurricane Wrote:
(08-24-2021, 12:34 PM)CTEisREAL Wrote: I think Lawrence by himself is not that good.  Behind this OL he'll be David Carr 2.0

What successful Qb's have thrived behind o-lines that looked this bad?

Aikman's first two-three OLs looked at least this bad, even though there were talented players on it even during those times, including Mark Stepnski, Kevin Gogan, Mark Tuinei and Nate Newton.  What compounded things is they were in a brutal division in terms of opposing defenses were concerned, with the Buddy Ryan Eagles, the Parcells/Belichick era Giants, and the Gibbs era Washington.  Aikman took a beating those years.  Even early in the 1991 season, he was sacked 11 times in a game vs. the Eagles.

They had good players like the ones I mentioned, and they had an excellent OL coach in Tony Wise.  They had to have an offensive system that fit the strength of the players, firing David Shula and hiring Norv Turner.  They had to find out what positions best suited those guys.  Finally, when they had the opportunity, they wound up adding guys like RT Erik Williams.  But that took them three offseasons, with three of those guys already on the roster before they drafted anyone back in 1989.  They didn't complete the OL until 1991 when Erik Williams was drafted but not inserted as a starter until mid season.  They had a GM with the eye for talent, the coaches who were able to motivate, develop and utilize them properly.

I'm not sure we have any of that ging for us at the moment.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We just need to call better plays. More quick screens, crossing patterns and quick, short passes where Lawrence doesn't have to hold the ball so long and wait for receivers to get open downfield.

The O-line yesterday had a lot of issues. Protection broke down far too fast. Seemed like only when Beathard got in, and NO played those fighting for a roster spot, did we find time to let plays develop.

At the moment I just hope TLaw doesn't follow the path of Joe Burrows last year. I am no judge of talent out of college, but I feel we should have addressed OT with our second pick. We had the capital if we needed to trade up. Especially since we did not do anything in FA.

(08-24-2021, 03:51 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:

We just need to call better plays. More quick screens, crossing patterns and quick, short passes where Lawrence doesn't have to hold the ball so long and wait for receivers to get open downfield.

That will only take you so far for so long.

If the receivers can't stretch the defense and opposing defenses know you can't sustain blocks for long passes, they will tighten underneath coverage.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(08-24-2021, 03:55 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(08-24-2021, 03:51 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: We just need to call better plays. More quick screens, crossing patterns and quick, short passes where Lawrence doesn't have to hold the ball so long and wait for receivers to get open downfield.

That will only take you so far for so long.

If the receivers can't stretch the defense and opposing defenses know you can't sustain blocks for long passes, they will tighten underneath coverage.

Agreed, but in the present it will build confidence for the QB. I don't want Lawrence to get "gun shy", because he's dropping back and getting clobbered on every play like he was last night. I do think the return of D.J. Chark and his "field stretching" speed, will be a big boost for Lawrence, but until then, we need to do something to kick start the offense.

(This post was last modified: 08-24-2021, 04:46 PM by JagsFanSince95. Edited 1 time in total.)

(08-24-2021, 03:53 PM)Norseman Wrote: The O-line yesterday had a lot of issues. Protection broke down far  too fast. Seemed like only when Beathard got in, and NO played those fighting for a roster spot, did we find time to let plays develop.

At the moment I just hope TLaw doesn't follow the path of Joe Burrows last year. I am no judge of talent out of college, but I feel we should have addressed OT with our second pick. We had the capital if we needed to trade up. Especially since we did not do anything in FA.

Or just... take a tackle where we took ETN(Has he done ANYTHING yet? Does he even play with the 1s?) but that's too sensible me thinks.

(08-24-2021, 04:45 PM)JagsFanSince95 Wrote:
(08-24-2021, 03:53 PM)Norseman Wrote: The O-line yesterday had a lot of issues. Protection broke down far  too fast. Seemed like only when Beathard got in, and NO played those fighting for a roster spot, did we find time to let plays develop.

Or just... take a tackle where we took ETN(Has he done ANYTHING yet? Does he even play with the 1s?) but that's too sensible me thinks.

He got two snaps last night before he got broken.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato