Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Urban's Interesting Statement - O Line pretty good

(02-15-2021, 05:47 PM)Mikey Wrote: ...after retaining Warhop, we are surprised when the HC rejects the idea of blowing up the line? Really?

if the situation were dire, there would have been turnover from the top on down.

Surprised, no. Upset, absolutely. We all should be.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(02-15-2021, 09:39 PM)Upper Wrote:
(02-15-2021, 05:47 PM)Mikey Wrote: ...after retaining Warhop, we are surprised when the HC rejects the idea of blowing up the line? Really?

if the situation were dire, there would have been turnover from the top on down.

Surprised, no. Upset, absolutely. We all should be.

Amen.

Our oline this past year was not as bad as most of you seem to think. When we get a competent qb in here that dosent hold the ball far too long you will see that.

(02-15-2021, 11:26 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: Our oline this past year was not as bad as most of you seem to think. When we get a competent qb in here that dosent hold the ball far too long you will see that.

It could be a combination of things- QB holding the ball too long, receivers not getting open, and being behind in games so the opposing defense knows we have to pass.  

This is why I have said before (although no one seems to agree with me) that one of the best ways to protect the QB is to build the entire team, not just the offensive line.  The offensive line certainly has a direct role in protecting the QB, but all the other players on offense and defense have an indirect but very definite role in pass protection.

(02-16-2021, 05:55 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(02-15-2021, 11:26 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: Our oline this past year was not as bad as most of you seem to think. When we get a competent qb in here that dosent hold the ball far too long you will see that.

It could be a combination of things- QB holding the ball too long, receivers not getting open, and being behind in games so the opposing defense knows we have to pass.  

This is why I have said before (although no one seems to agree with me) that one of the best ways to protect the QB is to build the entire team, not just the offensive line.  The offensive line certainly has a direct role in protecting the QB, but all the other players on offense and defense have an indirect but very definite role in pass protection.
I agree. And dont get me wrong they can upgrade the oline for sure, but there is no glaring hole on the oline. Im all for bringing in a guy like trent williams or brandon scherf but id rather use our draft capitol elsewhere personally.

(02-16-2021, 05:55 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:

I agreed with you for the most part.

My departure from your opinion stems from the idea that making all of the adjustments you mentioned is a substitute for talent.  You still need adequate talent to implement those adjustments.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(This post was last modified: 02-16-2021, 07:36 AM by The Real Marty.)

(02-16-2021, 07:33 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(02-16-2021, 05:55 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: It could be a combination of things- QB holding the ball too long, receivers not getting open, and being behind in games so the opposing defense knows we have to pass.  

I agreed with you for the most part.

My departure from your opinion stems from the idea that making all of the adjustments you mentioned is a substitute for talent.  You still need adequate talent to implement those adjustments.

When did I say that any of those adjustments are a substitute for talent?  I would never make such a crazy statement.  When I say "build the entire team" I OBVIOUSLY mean build the entire team with talent.  What else could I possibly mean?

(02-16-2021, 07:35 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(02-16-2021, 07:33 AM)Bullseye Wrote: I agreed with you for the most part.

When did I say that any of those adjustments are a substitute for talent?  I would never make such a crazy statement.  When I say "build the entire team" I OBVIOUSLY mean build the entire team with talent.  What else could I possibly mean?

Give me a bit to find your original post to which I responded. 

It's not something you expressly stated.

Despite the coach-speak statement, I still actually anticipate fresh blood competing for both tackle spots.

I mean, there is no clear strategy at LT yet and it's certainly not a given they'll just roll with Taylor at RT with no one brought in to push him.

Despite Cann's "bounce back year" if you will, I'd certainly not rest on those laurels and not try to upgrade.

It's a new regime aside from the OL coach, and I don't anticipate he'll have THAT much influence on Meyer's decision-making about adding competition and upgrades.

Revisiting this thread, UM, in fact did NOT blow up the OL. Took one T in the draft (Little in round 2), and signed no OL in free agency.

Hopefully it works out for us.

I still think we will need much more investment in the OL the next offseasons. But I hope Little is the LT that ties the line together.

While I thought they’d do more, the Walker Little addition may turn out a big plus.

It was good to hear Warhop basically call out both tackles for inconsistent play in pass pro.
I mean - at least they are seeing what we’re seeing even if they aren’t taking the angle many of us might take to repair it. I guess that’s a start.

I've never felt that our o-line needed to be "Blown Up". When healthy our OL is Much More than serviceable to say the least. We now have a reserve LT and G in the waiting w/respect to replacing an non productive o-linemen. Don't hold your breath by the way. TL16's quick decision making will also enhance the performances of the o-line. Warhop was retained for this reasoning of which also consists of limited resources and many more team needs. Offensive Linemen wasn't/isn't a glaring need at this point. Taking care of the DL, DBs, QB and receiver positions within the 2021 FA and NFL Draft was a priority.

Very Good job of UM and Co. for evaluating and recognizing this. CUDOS...

Time Will Tell.

NH3...
"AZANE"

I personally think Little will be a pro bowl caliber starting LT for the next 10 years once he gets in. The line will look better with a better QB and playing with leads. I’m not too worried about it to be honest.

I’m withholding judgement on the success of any player, even Lawrence, until they’re challenged for a season. I am a properly indoctrinated Jaguars fan.

(06-26-2021, 10:20 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: I’m withholding judgement on the success of any player, even Lawrence, until they’re challenged for a season. I am a properly indoctrinated Jaguars fan.

As we all should be by now, but some people can't help themselves. They just gotta drink the Kool-Aid.

More koolaid. Delicious optimism.

We had an undrafted running back go for over 1000 yards. That doesn't happen without a decent offensive line.

(06-26-2021, 03:06 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(06-26-2021, 10:20 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: I’m withholding judgement on the success of any player, even Lawrence, until they’re challenged for a season. I am a properly indoctrinated Jaguars fan.

As we all should be by now, but some people can't help themselves. They just gotta drink the Kool-Aid.
As a dedicated Jaguar fan, many of us have felt like drinking the Jim Jones kool-aid at times.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

I have high hopes for this staff but comments like these make me wonder. Maybe he sees some unlocked potential that's been unrealized the last couple of years. One positive is that Walker Little could very well end up being a home run. Fingers crossed.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

Just hope that the staff can turn it around. Starts with the coach and Trevor Lawrence there to set the tone.
Ready for May Day and May Flowers!