Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Frozen Wind Turbines in Texas Expose Major Flaw in Renewable Energy

(This post was last modified: 02-17-2021, 08:47 PM by mikesez.)

(02-17-2021, 08:44 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote:
(02-17-2021, 04:58 PM)mikesez Wrote: Do you have to try to miss points or does it come naturally for you?

Those turbines in alaska could help warm up Texas... If the grids were connected.

And yet the turbines would still be frozen in Texas, would they not? So you can try to move the point of the conversation around, like you always do, but nothing you’re saying has anything to do with the fact that the turbines are frozen in Texas. Period.

They would still be frozen, but Texans would be warm, and no one would care whether the wind turbines were frozen or not.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

If there are wind turbines in AK and Antarctica and those aren’t freezing, what’s up with the ones in Texas? They did have a nice spell of unusually cold weather. Could it be the oil or grease used for their normal temperatures? Or did they ice up too much?

(This post was last modified: 02-18-2021, 08:09 AM by The Real Marty.)

(02-18-2021, 06:39 AM)Jags Wrote: If there are wind turbines in AK and Antarctica and those aren’t freezing, what’s up with the  ones in Texas?  They did have a nice spell of unusually cold weather.  Could it be the oil or grease used for their normal temperatures? Or did they ice up too much?

Wind turbines in the north are built for cold weather.  The ones in Texas are not winterized, because they never expected this kind of cold wave that would overwhelm their overall power generation capability.  And because of the way the Texas power grid is regulated or not regulated, there is very little incentive to raise rates to pay for the kind of redundancy in their grid that would handle this type of situation.

Because it is not just the wind turbines that have failed.  Gas and nuclear power plants in Texas have shut down due to frozen pipes.  So it is way off base to say this power failure in Texas tells us anything about whether we should invest in renewable energy.  It has a lot more to do with de-regulation, keeping rates down, and having their own power grid which means they can't import electricity from the rest of the country.  Wind turbines and power plants are still working in Canada, and Antarctica, and Alaska.  All of it failed in Texas because they didn't want to spend the money to make sure the system would operate in extreme cold.  

I know a lot of people are into de-regulation, but this is what regulations are for- if Texas had required their power plants and wind turbines to be built to withstand an unusual event like this, then everything would be okay.  Of course, some people would be complaining about regulations raising the cost of electricity.

Bottom line- if you want low low electric rates, you might also have to take the chance that the system might fail, because it is barely built to meet expected demand.

Of course, the governor of Texas wants to blame someone else for this fiasco, so he goes on TV and blames environmentalists.  And not to be outdone, the Democrats have jumped in and blamed the Republicans.  Which one is at fault?   The Republicans.  Their libertarian approach to supplying the state with power is what led to this.  The Republicans deserve the credit for the low electric rates, and they deserve the blame for the system failure that resulted.

(This post was last modified: 02-18-2021, 10:24 AM by Lucky2Last.)

I agree with most of what you posted there. However, I am cautious to assign "blame" when something is a once in a century event. That would be like attacking Republicans in Florida because they don't want to create legislation that would mandate home builders implement the same earthquake codes as San Francisco. Sure, it would help if there ever was an earthquake here, but at what cost? Housing prices would skyrocket if we had to enact every fail safe used for every different type of environmental disaster.

Southern California has the WORST driving conditions when it rains there, because their roads don't shed water the same way as ours. They have to worry about creating roads that will survive the dry heat. The simple fact is that people tend to build their systems around their environment, and people don't always take every fail-safe. Humans are always trying to balance risk vs reward in the pursuit of happiness.

I think it's foolish to blame Republicans for the power outage in the same way I think it's foolish to blame Democrats for the green energy failure. It's just a freak storm. I wish we lived in a culture where politicians could just acknowledge that they were caught with their pants down, and move forward with the promise of correcting that issue in the future, without having the opposition pounce on it like they would have magically prevented this disaster.

(02-18-2021, 10:22 AM)Lucky2Last Wrote: I agree with most of what you posted there. However, I am cautious to assign "blame" when something is a once in a century event. That would be like attacking Republicans in Florida because they don't want to create legislation that would mandate home builders implement the same earthquake codes as San Francisco. Sure, it would help if there ever was an earthquake here, but at what cost? Housing prices would skyrocket if we had to enact every fail safe used for every different type of environmental disaster.

Southern California has the WORST driving conditions when it rains there, because their roads don't shed water the same way as ours. They have to worry about creating roads that will survive the dry heat. The simple fact is that people tend to build their systems around their environment, and people don't always take every fail-safe. Humans are always trying to balance risk vs reward in the pursuit of happiness.

I think it's foolish to blame Republicans for the power outage in the same way I think it's foolish to blame Democrats for the green energy failure. It's just a freak storm. I wish we lived in a culture where politicians could just acknowledge that they were caught with their pants down, and move forward with the promise of correcting that issue in the future, without having the opposition pounce on it like they would have magically prevented this disaster.

Your assertion that all politicians wear pants is sexist and transphobic. 

I've messaged the board administrators to have your account deleted.

Meanwhile, Senator Ted Cruz has taken off for Cancun, leaving his constituents to shiver in the dark.

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/politic...story.html

(02-18-2021, 10:28 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(02-18-2021, 10:22 AM)Lucky2Last Wrote: I agree with most of what you posted there. However, I am cautious to assign "blame" when something is a once in a century event. That would be like attacking Republicans in Florida because they don't want to create legislation that would mandate home builders implement the same earthquake codes as San Francisco. Sure, it would help if there ever was an earthquake here, but at what cost? Housing prices would skyrocket if we had to enact every fail safe used for every different type of environmental disaster.

Your assertion that all politicians wear pants is sexist and transphobic. 

Simmer down Karen!
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

(02-16-2021, 01:06 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Trump wouldn't have let Texas freeze.

Would he have let California freeze?

Or burn?
s
;

;

(This post was last modified: 02-18-2021, 12:20 PM by homebiscuit.)

(02-18-2021, 11:50 AM)copycat Wrote:
(02-18-2021, 10:28 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Your assertion that all politicians wear pants is sexist and transphobic. 

Simmer down Karen!

Your use of a traditionally female name reinforces stereotypes of negative gender bias.

I’ve messaged the board administrators to have your account deleted.

(02-18-2021, 11:49 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Meanwhile, Senator Ted Cruz has taken off for Cancun, leaving his constituents to shiver in the dark.  

The only issue I would have with this is if he was telling everyone that they couldn’t leave the state while he himself was getting the hell out of Dodge.
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

(02-18-2021, 12:19 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(02-18-2021, 11:50 AM)copycat Wrote: Simmer down Karen!

Your use of a traditionally female name reinforces stereotypes of negative gender bias.

Damn you Biscuit!  I have been sentenced to 1 week of Gender Neutrality Training and I have sit in the dark for 2 hours to reflect upon my whiteness.
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

(02-18-2021, 12:34 PM)copycat Wrote:
(02-18-2021, 12:19 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Your use of a traditionally female name reinforces stereotypes of negative gender bias.

Damn you Biscuit!  I have been sentenced to 1 week of Gender Neutrality Training and I have sit in the dark for 2 hours to reflect upon my whiteness.

And maleness...
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

(02-18-2021, 12:21 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote:
(02-18-2021, 11:49 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Meanwhile, Senator Ted Cruz has taken off for Cancun, leaving his constituents to shiver in the dark.  

The only issue I would have with this is if he was telling everyone that they couldn’t leave the state while he himself was getting the hell out of Dodge.

Self deception is the worst kind of deception.
If Beto was the one who escaped to Cancun, you'd be outraged, and you know it.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

“California is now unable to perform even basic functions of civilization, like having reliable electricity.”
Ted Cruz

“Biden/Harris/AOC want to make CA’s failed energy policy the standard nationwide. Hope you don’t like air conditioning!”
Ted Cruz

He took a planned vacation.  What's the big deal about that?

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(02-18-2021, 12:36 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote:
(02-18-2021, 12:34 PM)copycat Wrote: Damn you Biscuit!  I have been sentenced to 1 week of Gender Neutrality Training and I have sit in the dark for 2 hours to reflect upon my whiteness.

And maleness...

Yeah, what the dame said.

(02-18-2021, 01:20 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:

He took a planned vacation.  What's the big deal about that?

He stepped on his crank. Leaving to go bask on a beach while the masses shiver in dark homes is not a good look or effective leadership. 

Granted, were he a dem the press would’ve ignored or hedged it. Perhaps even given him an Emmy. But he should have stayed in Texas.

Probably Made in the USA or we're just too stupid to put anti-freezing measures in place like they do in the arctic or even Finland, Norway, and Sweden. Face it, the US has slipped over the past 4 years and couple that with 2 terrible Senators and a terrible Governor in Texas; one should expect things to go wrong.

(02-18-2021, 02:00 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Probably Made in the USA or we're just too stupid to put anti-freezing measures in place like they do in the arctic or even Finland, Norway, and Sweden.  Face it, the US has slipped over the past 4 years and couple that with 2 terrible Senators and a terrible Governor in Texas; one should expect things to go wrong.

Attaboy!

Who to blame could still be a question that you can continue to squabble about. However, the base problem is that 'winterizing' the power plants was left up to...you guessed it...the individual power plants. It was not mandated by any authority.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]