Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Smoothie King

(This post was last modified: 02-16-2021, 04:02 PM by ATLjag.)

Ben Bartch was drafted last year with the 116th selection (4th round) as an OT from Division III's St John's University.  At SJU, he was a TE for the first 2 seasons, and converted to LOT in his final 2 seasons, gaining necessary weight with his publicized smoothie shake concoction.  Reading the reports of several draft analysts from the time of last season's draft, it seems a general consensus was that he was a 1-2 year developmental OT that would eventually be a starter.  Although Batch gained some experience last year, largely at the OG position, his needed development had to be delayed significantly by Covid's impact on training heading into the season.  

I am sure the Jags selected him with the idea of considerable upside with needed development.  I am guilty of possibly overlooking him based on last year's Covid season and ho-hum spotty performance.  Assuming he might get camps and preseason training, along with a year of pro level weight training and experience, could he be someone to challenge for a starting spot? Do you see him as an OG or OT in the future?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(02-16-2021, 03:59 PM)ATLjag Wrote: Ben Bartch was drafted last year with the 116th selection (4th round) as an OT from Division III's St John's University.  At SJU, he was a TE for the first 2 seasons, and converted to LOT in his final 2 seasons, gaining necessary weight with his publicized smoothie shake concoction.  Reading the reports of several draft analysts from the time of last season's draft, it seems a general consensus was that he was a 1-2 year developmental OT that would eventually be a starter.  Although Batch gained some experience last year, largely at the OG position, his needed development had to be delayed significantly by Covid's impact on training heading into the season.  

I am sure the Jags selected him with the idea of considerable upside with needed development.  I am guilty of possibly overlooking him based on last year's Covid season and ho-hum spotty performance.  Assuming he might get camps and preseason training, along with a year of pro level weight training and experience, could he be someone to challenge for a starting spot?  Do you see him as an OG or OT in the future?
I think he is going to push Caan for the starting spot.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

Will Richardson is entering his 4th season, and last year of his rookie contract. Similar to Bartch, he was a 4th round draft pick, that some believed would be an eventual starter with development. He has been the swing tackle and seemed to perform pretty well when called upon. Is he destined to be a career back-up or does he have a shot at starting?

(This post was last modified: 02-16-2021, 07:21 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(02-16-2021, 04:05 PM)Dimson Wrote:
(02-16-2021, 03:59 PM)ATLjag Wrote: Ben Bartch was drafted last year with the 116th selection (4th round) as an OT from Division III's St John's University.  At SJU, he was a TE for the first 2 seasons, and converted to LOT in his final 2 seasons, gaining necessary weight with his publicized smoothie shake concoction.  Reading the reports of several draft analysts from the time of last season's draft, it seems a general consensus was that he was a 1-2 year developmental OT that would eventually be a starter.  Although Batch gained some experience last year, largely at the OG position, his needed development had to be delayed significantly by Covid's impact on training heading into the season.  

I am sure the Jags selected him with the idea of considerable upside with needed development.  I am guilty of possibly overlooking him based on last year's Covid season and ho-hum spotty performance.  Assuming he might get camps and preseason training, along with a year of pro level weight training and experience, could he be someone to challenge for a starting spot?  Do you see him as an OG or OT in the future?
I think he is going to push Caan for the starting spot.

Totally agree.

(02-16-2021, 04:58 PM)ATLjag Wrote: Will Richardson is entering his 4th season, and last year of his rookie contract.  Similar to Bartch, he was a 4th round draft pick, that some believed would be an eventual starter with development.  He has been the swing tackle and seemed to perform pretty well when called upon.  Is he destined to be a career back-up or does he have a shot at starting?

It depends on how the draft goes.

I see him as prime depth at the Guard spot. If he develops into a starter, that's just gravy. I hope he can, that would give us one less position to fill.

I did notice him a few times last season, and it always made me happy to seem him getting reps and experience. These are the kinds of guys I like to pull for, the small school kids who are busting their tails to do the thing they love.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 02-17-2021, 03:10 PM by ATLjag.)

Another interesting OL signed off waivers at the end of December from the Steelers was Derwin Gray, a 2019 7th round developmental ROT/OG out of Maryland. He's got good size at 6'4" 320. He did well in limited game snaps this season, at ROG. Steelers needed another position player due to injuries in the last game and waived Gray to make temporary room, with the plan to sign him back on the roster after the game. The Jags ruined their plans by claiming him, and the Steeler fans were baffled why the team put Gray at risk of being lost. ....could be an interesting guy to watch.