Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jeep Urged to Change 'Offensive' Decades-Old Vehicle Name

(02-28-2021, 07:38 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(02-28-2021, 06:13 PM)EricC85 Wrote: Ford makes the best 1500 series truck for daily driving the exception isn’t he garbage 2.7 ecoboost model with a plastic drain pain lol. They also made the worse designed engine the 5.4 3valve triton from roughly 2004-2008 you’ll find it mostly in expeditions and some f150 those years. The f250 is complete junk but the f350 is one of the best built big trucks on the market your just going to pay though the nose for repairs and maintenance certainly not a daily driver for most people.

The first time I spotted a plastic intake manifold in a car, I said to myself, "cheap junk!" But now I see them pretty much everywhere, and no one seems to have problems with them. Maybe we will be saying the same thing about plastic drain pans in 10 years.
Did you see any other problem on the 2.7 ecoboost?
There is one problem.   They have a tendency to make guys in civics with [BLEEP] exhaust cry after the light turns green.  It also on occasion will rescue a Chevy from the side of the road and haul whatever you ask it to.  Aside from that; it’s a pretty good truck.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I’d offer to let you take mine for a spin Mike, but I’d hate for you to get too excited and put Mikesez DNA on my headliner.

(02-28-2021, 08:29 PM)Jags Wrote: I’d offer to let you take mine for a spin Mike, but I’d hate for you to get too excited and put Mikesez DNA on my headliner.

Don't worry, I believe in buckling up and all other forms of protection.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(02-28-2021, 08:56 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(02-28-2021, 08:29 PM)Jags Wrote: I’d offer to let you take mine for a spin Mike, but I’d hate for you to get too excited and put Mikesez DNA on my headliner.

Don't worry, I believe in buckling up and all other forms of protection.

Well, ya put a Johnny on the jimmy and I’ll consider it

(This post was last modified: 02-28-2021, 09:56 PM by EricC85.)

(02-28-2021, 07:38 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(02-28-2021, 06:13 PM)EricC85 Wrote: Ford makes the best 1500 series truck for daily driving the exception isn’t he garbage 2.7 ecoboost model with a plastic drain pain lol. They also made the worse designed engine the 5.4 3valve triton from roughly 2004-2008 you’ll find it mostly in expeditions and some f150 those years. The f250 is complete junk but the f350 is one of the best built big trucks on the market your just going to pay though the nose for repairs and maintenance certainly not a daily driver for most people.

The first time I spotted a plastic intake manifold in a car, I said to myself, "cheap junk!" But now I see them pretty much everywhere, and no one seems to have problems with them. Maybe we will be saying the same thing about plastic drain pans in 10 years.

lol mike the plastic intakes are a common huge problem. They heat up and warp causing them to leak when it comes in it’s a $1200 job because you have to purchase the entire manifold instead of just the $40 gasket set.

Most common problem on the 2.7 ecoboost is burnt piston rings it takes 45 min for the turbo to drain oil completely they put a TSB out a while ago when shops where draining for the typical 5-10 min and filli with oil it shows correct on the stick but the turbo is overfilled so it pressurized the system and burns piston rings. I tell guys when they come in I’ll call you and an hour I let it drain the full hour to be safe before putting oil back in.
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

(This post was last modified: 02-28-2021, 09:57 PM by Jags.)

(02-28-2021, 09:53 PM)EricC85 Wrote:
(02-28-2021, 07:38 PM)mikesez Wrote: The first time I spotted a plastic intake manifold in a car, I said to myself, "cheap junk!" But now I see them pretty much everywhere, and no one seems to have problems with them. Maybe we will be saying the same thing about plastic drain pans in 10 years.

lol mike the plastic intakes are a common huge problem. They heat up and warp causing them to leak when it comes in it’s a $1200 job because you have to purchase the entire manifold instead of just the $40 gasket set.

So, no? Smile

(02-28-2021, 06:27 PM)Jags Wrote:

The Gm 1500 is the most basic of all trucks the v6 is garbage and useless had zero towing capacity and the water pumps leak all the time. The v8 is ok not a lot of common problems but it severely lacks towning capacity. GM worse engines are found in the sedans the Chevy Cruz is a throw away car it’s mostly plastic if you have one I promise you’ve either replaced water outlet twice in 100.000 miles or your going to real soon! Now GM does have the best 2500 series truck and they have tack and pine steering bearing the fords garbage conventional steering In the f250

Chrysler had the best diesel of the group the Cummings is bullet proof. Literally everything else about Chrysler is garbage do not buy do not pass go do not collect $200.

The best truck IMO that is it a diesel is the Tundra the 5.7 is on par with the American 2500 series trucks it has better tow capacity and power than the 2500 and is only outdone once you get into the 3500 series. However when the Toyota’s do break and they all eventually due they are significantly more difficult to fix and thus more expensive. I always say when you can fix a Toyota you can fix anything. My wife’s Highlander I had to rip the front of the car apart and life the engine to change the water pump, it went over 250k miles before it leaked but it was a pain in the [BLEEP] when it did leak to fix.

Another nice one is the new Titans with the Cummings engine those are sweet.

The Ford F-150 2.7 eco boost as of 2017 was the “quickest truck amongst competitors.  Not that one should buy a truck based off how fast it is.  Mine happens to be a 2.7 because it’ll haul my little lawn trailer and our travel trailer and then some. That and it had all the options I wanted/needed.  Perhaps it’s my aftermarket tires, but in sport mode... holy [BLEEP]!!!   Not used to that in the ole pick ‘em up truck!!

My father in law a life long mechanic even asked me surprisingly “that’s a 6 cylinder?”  I said yes, a 2.7.

If all you need is getup and go then you’ll be happy. But if your using it as a typical f150 that ran the 5.0 for a generation it’s severely lacking. Also make sure you get it serviced at either Ford or someone that knows to let it fully drain they have problems with burnt piston rings from overfilled oil. 

I’m not a fan of them but it’s better then any Chrysler product to date I’ll give you that!

(This post was last modified: 02-28-2021, 10:19 PM by Jags.)

(02-28-2021, 10:01 PM)IEricC85 Wrote:
(02-28-2021, 06:27 PM)Jags Wrote: The Ford F-150 2.7 eco boost as of 2017 was the “quickest truck amongst competitors.  Not that one should buy a truck based off how fast it is.  Mine happens to be a 2.7 because it’ll haul my little lawn trailer and our travel trailer and then some. That and it had all the options I wanted/needed.  Perhaps it’s my aftermarket tires, but in sport mode... holy [BLEEP]!!!   Not used to that in the ole pick ‘em up truck!!

My father in law a life long mechanic even asked me surprisingly “that’s a 6 cylinder?”  I said yes, a 2.7.

If all you need is getup and go then you’ll be happy. But if your using it as a typical f150 that ran the 5.0 for a generation it’s severely lacking. Also make sure you get it serviced at either Ford or someone that knows to let it fully drain they have problems with burnt piston rings from overfilled oil. 

I’m not a fan of them but it’s better then any Chrysler product to date I’ll give you that!

All I’m saying is it peppy, to say the least.  The truck more than meets my needs.  It’ll haul my lawn trailer.  Granted only 3400lbs.  But what truck wouldn’t?  It’ll haul the travel trailer loaded down at roughly 6500 lbs no problem. The towing between the 2.7 and 5.0 is negligible. I know we all want that old school manly v-8 Sure, the 5.o will haul a tad more.  But if you’re needing to haul more than the 2.7 can do, you should really be considering 3/4 ton truck or even 1ton. Depending on the load. For my piddly 3400lbs lawn  trailer, the 2.7 is well more than needed. Been doing it for 3
Years now.  Yes, I do have it serviced by ford(
quick lane) down at the bozard dealership

(This post was last modified: 02-28-2021, 10:30 PM by Jags.)

Now of course if you are towing you’ll want the right gearing and all that.  If you’re purchasing for an everyday driver, none of that matters.  Every day driver and 150 will serve one fine.  I do wonder why you equate them to the 1500’s.  Why is it the 1500 class rather than 1/2 , 3/4 ton and so on?   1500 is the GM thing.  Why put the industry’s standard against the lesser?  As if the 1500 is the benchmark.

So Eric, are you saying my 02 Silverado 1500LT 5.3 V8 with over 240K miles and no major issues is an anomaly? I'm serious when I say other than replacing the alternator back in 09 I have had no real problems with it. I honestly never thought it would last this long but it's been a really solid truck and I've worked it hard.

I see more of this make, model and year in trucks and SUVs (Suburban) in my area than almost anything else.

(03-01-2021, 12:27 AM)americus 2.0 Wrote: So Eric, are you saying my 02 Silverado 1500LT 5.3 V8 with over 240K miles and no major issues is an anomaly? I'm serious when I say other than replacing the alternator back in 09 I have had no real problems with it. I honestly never thought it would last this long but it's been a really solid truck and I've worked it hard.

I see more of this make, model and year in trucks and SUVs (Suburban) in my area than almost anything else.

The 5.3 are normally pretty good it’s the 6 cylinder Silverado’s that are garbage. Chevys are just very basic compared to the dodge and Ford counterparts when it comes to additional features. I do think the 2500 Chevy is better than Ford since they keep rack and pinion steering over conventional steering.

(02-28-2021, 10:30 PM)You Jags Wrote: Now of course if you are towing you’ll want the right gearing and all that.  If you’re purchasing for an everyday driver, none of that matters.  Every day driver and 150 will serve one fine.  I do wonder why you equate them to the 1500’s.  Why is it the 1500 class rather than 1/2 , 3/4 ton and so on?   1500 is the GM thing.  Why put the industry’s standard against the lesser?  As if the 1500 is the benchmark.

You lost me the F150, Silverado 1500 and Ram 1500 make up the majority of truck sales every year. When comparing the 3 I see less problems with the F150 most years. The exception being the 5.4 triton 3 valve (hot mess) I hate the 2.7 (I know you like it cool) and the 4.6 (had some problems not as dependable as the 5.0). To my original point the Ram 1500 almost every year has the most consistent problems. Some years it’s garbage transmissions others it’s ball joints joints poorly designed leading to premature failures. But it always Chrysler products they are constantly a problem.

To summarize if Kia was putting together a 1500 series truck I’m confident even they could surpass Chrysler standards.

If we're talking exclusively truck engines, the GM 5.7 diesel was worse.  If we're talking ANY engine, the Cadillac 8-6-4 will hold that record forever.
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

Ya’ll can have those Chevy’s, Fords and Dodges. I love my ‘Coma. Can’t kill ‘em.
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

(This post was last modified: 03-01-2021, 09:28 PM by Jags.)

(03-01-2021, 08:42 PM)copycat Wrote: Ya’ll can have those Chevy’s, Fords and Dodges.  I love my ‘Coma.  Can’t kill ‘em.

I like the “Tacos”.  Lightweight and off-road capable.  It’s the towing that they can’t do.  But that is par for the course in that class.  I’d probably get one of them over the future bumper-less ranger.   But if I needed a truck for miscellaneous stuff like moving a washer/dryer and able to off road a bit, I’d have to consider one.  Slight lift and tires and they not only look good but can get through some nasty stuff.  However, the price range vs a full size truck comes into play.  Toyota seems pretty proud of them.

(03-01-2021, 08:42 PM)copycat Wrote: Ya’ll can have those Chevy’s, Fords and Dodges.  I love my ‘Coma.  Can’t kill ‘em.

My Tacoma with almost 100k miles feels more solid than rental cars I drive with less than 20k miles.

(03-01-2021, 01:42 AM)EricC85 Wrote:
(03-01-2021, 12:27 AM)americus 2.0 Wrote: So Eric, are you saying my 02 Silverado 1500LT 5.3 V8 with over 240K miles and no major issues is an anomaly? I'm serious when I say other than replacing the alternator back in 09 I have had no real problems with it. I honestly never thought it would last this long but it's been a really solid truck and I've worked it hard.

The 5.3 are normally pretty good it’s the 6 cylinder Silverado’s that are garbage. Chevys are just very basic compared to the dodge and Ford counterparts when it comes to additional features. I do think the 2500 Chevy is better than Ford since they keep rack and pinion steering over conventional steering.

Thanks! I had the kid loading mulch into the bed of my truck at a local hardware store offer to buy it off me. He was going on about how its hard to find the year, make and model with the 5.3 at all much less for a decent price. None of us are getting rid of them.

My brother has Chevy 1500 ‘07 (‘06 classic)5.3. Pretty much it’s an 06 with the 07 motor. I had the same thing but 4.8. About a year after payoff mine went to crap with electrical issues and transmission acting up. He had his transmission rebuilt but loves his truck. It’s gone literally coast to coast 4 or 5 times for him now. So.. Fwiw. He did say when it eventually comes down to it, Ford is number one on his list. He does love his truck though. So I suppose they may have made at least one or two decent ones.