Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Orlando Brown Trade Talk (merged)

(02-25-2021, 10:06 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(02-25-2021, 10:03 AM)ATLjag Wrote: I am all for acquiring Orlando Brown;  the man is mammoth and is a pro bowler.  However, I hope the price tag is not multiple 1st round picks as in the Tunsil trade.

No way would I give up anything more than #25. He comes from an offense where pass protection is secondary and they have a run-first offense. He is unproven in a conventional NFL scheme. He looks impressive, but looks can be deceiving. That's way too much of a risk.

We may not have much of a choice, if Lance Zeierlien is to be believed.

Today on 1010XL, he was saying there were 4 tackles in the draft that may carry a first round grade (Sewell, Darrisaw, Slater and Jenkins) and all are likely to be gone by 25.  I could easily see that happening.   If Williams is not available to us, Brown may be the next best option.

At least we have the benefit of Baltimore's defensive coaches now on our staff.  They saw him every day in practice.  If anyone knows whether he can cut it at LT, they know.  That would be better than reaching for Cosmi at 25.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(02-25-2021, 02:17 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(02-25-2021, 02:13 PM)TJBender Wrote: He would be mine. Aside from Trent Williams, who is significantly older and going to want the same contract or more, there is no better tackle available. If the Ravens are willing to do something like 25 and 45 for Brown and a four, I'd be all over that. Hell, even if it was 25 and 45 for Brown alone, I'd at least consider it. There is not going to be a better tackle available at 25.
25 and 45?

Man. That’s kinda steep for me. Both of those picks will be impact players for a team devoid of talent.

Yes it is steep.

It may be a price we have to pay to get him.  The Chargers are also supposedly interested in trading for him.  They pick somewhere around 13 in the first round, which is much higher than our 25.

In the second, we pick at 33 and 45, while the Chargers pick at 47 in round 2.

Now considering their spot in the draft, it would be silly for the chargers to trade their first for him when they could draft one of the viable tackles at 13. 

I don't think any trade for Brown will be done before free agency starts.

I make a hard run for Trent Williams, and go from there.

(02-25-2021, 02:13 PM)TJBender Wrote:
(01-30-2021, 02:14 PM)Upper Wrote: The Ravens would want a lot of capital for him, and then he would want a whole lot in a contract extension? Y'all want to double dip like that?

I would try to get our LT in FA and our RT in the draft, and if we don't manage to do one of those then I'd circle back to Brown perhaps. He wouldn't be my first or second option though.

He would be mine. Aside from Trent Williams, who is significantly older and going to want the same contract or more, there is no better tackle available. If the Ravens are willing to do something like 25 and 45 for Brown and a four, I'd be all over that. Hell, even if it was 25 and 45 for Brown alone, I'd at least consider it. There is not going to be a better tackle available at 25.

Trent Williams would cost about the same contract and no draft picks...and he is a better player. It would be a no brainer to me to go after Trent far harder than Brown.

(02-25-2021, 03:03 PM)Upper Wrote:
(02-25-2021, 02:13 PM)TJBender Wrote: He would be mine. Aside from Trent Williams, who is significantly older and going to want the same contract or more, there is no better tackle available. If the Ravens are willing to do something like 25 and 45 for Brown and a four, I'd be all over that. Hell, even if it was 25 and 45 for Brown alone, I'd at least consider it. There is not going to be a better tackle available at 25.

Trent Williams would cost about the same contract and no draft picks...and he is a better player. It would be a no brainer to me to go after Trent far harder than Brown.

That's my stance as well.

But I would lean heavily on the evaluation of Cullen and the other defensive coaches we got from Baltimore.

(This post was last modified: 02-25-2021, 04:33 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(02-25-2021, 02:28 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(02-25-2021, 10:06 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: No way would I give up anything more than #25. He comes from an offense where pass protection is secondary and they have a run-first offense. He is unproven in a conventional NFL scheme. He looks impressive, but looks can be deceiving. That's way too much of a risk.

We may not have much of a choice, if Lance Zeierlien is to be believed.

Today on 1010XL, he was saying there were 4 tackles in the draft that may carry a first round grade (Sewell, Darrisaw, Slater and Jenkins) and all are likely to be gone by 25.  I could easily see that happening.   If Williams is not available to us, Brown may be the next best option.

At least we have the benefit of Baltimore's defensive coaches now on our staff.  They saw him every day in practice.  If anyone knows whether he can cut it at LT, they know.  That would be better than reaching for Cosmi at 25.

That is one guy's opinion. I don't even see Slater as an OT. To me, I have him as a pure OG. He's too short to be a LT. I also have Eichenberg and Radunz as major upgrades over Cam Robinson and they maybe could be taken at #33. I'd much rather draft them than overpaying for a LT that comes from a gimmicky offensive scheme where pass protection is secondary.

(02-25-2021, 02:36 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(02-25-2021, 02:17 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: 25 and 45?

Man. That’s kinda steep for me. Both of those picks will be impact players for a team devoid of talent.

Yes it is steep.

It may be a price we have to pay to get him.  The Chargers are also supposedly interested in trading for him.  They pick somewhere around 13 in the first round, which is much higher than our 25.

In the second, we pick at 33 and 45, while the Chargers pick at 47 in round 2.

Now considering their spot in the draft, it would be silly for the chargers to trade their first for him when they could draft one of the viable tackles at 13. 

I don't think any trade for Brown will be done before free agency starts.

I make a hard run for Trent Williams, and go from there.

The Chargers can have Brown then. Gimme Trent Williams on a massive 3 year, front loaded deal. We gotta protect Lawrence.

(02-25-2021, 03:03 PM)Upper Wrote:

Agreed.

(This post was last modified: 02-25-2021, 06:39 PM by jaguarmvp.)

There maybe a trade in the works.    I am not a fan of Robinson at all and do not wish to see him playing for the Jags any longer.  Brown would be a good upgrade

https://twitter.com/NFLDraftBites/status...de%3Dfalse
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

It would bring balance to the football universe, after they took Eugene Monroe from us.
Hopefully Brown comes and contributes!
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

There's an Orlando Brown topic in the "League" section covering this....

(02-01-2021, 07:54 AM)BristolianJaguar Wrote: I am with Upper on this one. We are in a rebuild that means we need to keep hold of all our 1st - 3rd Round picks for the next couple of years where possible. Brown is likely to impact that. I think LT should be addressed in FA. This being said, i would still be chuffed if we got him.

I would trade the 25th pick for him.  The way I look at it,  the Jags just drafted Orlando Brown with the 25th pick.  The guy is still rookie age.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

(02-26-2021, 12:24 AM)jaguarmvp Wrote:
(02-01-2021, 07:54 AM)BristolianJaguar Wrote: I am with Upper on this one. We are in a rebuild that means we need to keep hold of all our 1st - 3rd Round picks for the next couple of years where possible. Brown is likely to impact that. I think LT should be addressed in FA. This being said, i would still be chuffed if we got him.

I would trade the 25th pick for him.  The way I look at it,  the Jags just drafted Orlando Brown with the 25th pick.  The guy is still rookie age.

I would too, but the price tag might be higher and that's where I draw the line.

True but will he demand a new contract this year? He then becomes way more expensive than a draft pick.

(This post was last modified: 02-26-2021, 02:24 AM by Eric1.)

(02-26-2021, 12:44 AM)surfon Wrote: True but will he demand a new contract this year?  He then becomes way more expensive than a draft pick.

Yup, he has already said he wants a big new contract, on top of being traded and that he's only willing to play LT. He only has 1 year left on his contract (this coming season).

So now you're giving up high draft picks, on top of having to pay him $90-100m... Would be an awful trade.

Keep in mind hes only played like 9 games at LT in the NFL and played in a OL friendly Offense with the Ravens. They made him look better than he is.

We'd be better off going after Trent Williams, if that fails, transition tag Cam Robinson and draft an OT at 25, or 33.

(This post was last modified: 02-26-2021, 02:26 AM by Eric1.)

(02-26-2021, 12:29 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(02-26-2021, 12:24 AM)jaguarmvp Wrote: I would trade the 25th pick for him.  The way I look at it,  the Jags just drafted Orlando Brown with the 25th pick.  The guy is still rookie age.

I would too, but the price tag might be higher and that's where I draw the line.

It would be grossly higher... 

The 25th pick in the 2020 draft (WR Brandon Aiyuk) signed a contract that was 4 years, $12.5m total.

Brown will want far more than that PER season, on top of giving up high picks.

(02-26-2021, 02:22 AM)Eric1 Wrote:
(02-26-2021, 12:29 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I would too, but the price tag might be higher and that's where I draw the line.

The 25th pick in the 2020 draft (WR Brandon Aiyuk) signed a contract that was 4 years, $12.5m total.

We'd be idiots to pay that.

(02-26-2021, 02:26 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(02-26-2021, 02:22 AM)Eric1 Wrote: It would be grossly higher... 

We'd be idiots to pay that.

If we just had to give up pick 25, or 33 for him, I'd be ok with it. It's the fact that he's in the last year of his deal and is already making demands, is what I don't like. Big $$ and only willing to play LT.

He's a massive body with slow feet. We already have/had that in Cam Robinson, minus about 30 pounds. No reason to give up draft picks for a similar player.

(02-26-2021, 02:37 AM)Eric1 Wrote:
(02-26-2021, 02:26 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: We'd be idiots to pay that.

If we just had to give up pick 25, or 33 for him, I'd be ok with it. It's the fact that he's in the last year of his deal and is already making demands, is what I don't like. Big $$ and only willing to play LT.

He's a massive body with slow feet. We already have/had that in Cam Robinson, minus about 30 pounds. No reason to give up draft picks for a similar player.

Orlando Brown Jr has made the pro bowl the past 2 seasons, once playing RT and the other also filling in at LT.  He has played far better than Cam Robinson, and does not play as slow as hinted.  I don't like giving up high draft capital, and would rather have a 2-3 year option in Trent Williams for that reason.  However, Orlando is a clear upgrade to Cam.

(02-26-2021, 02:14 AM)Eric1 Wrote:
(02-26-2021, 12:44 AM)surfon Wrote: True but will he demand a new contract this year?  He then becomes way more expensive than a draft pick.

Yup, he has already said he wants a big new contract, on top of being traded and that he's only willing to play LT. He only has 1 year left on his contract (this coming season).

So now you're giving up high draft picks, on top of having to pay him $90-100m... Would be an awful trade.

Keep in mind hes only played like 9 games at LT in the NFL and played in a OL friendly Offense with the Ravens. They made him look better than he is.

We'd be better off going after Trent Williams, if that fails, transition tag Cam Robinson and draft an OT at 25, or 33.
I agree totally with this. Although I'd be concerned about breaking the bank for a soon to be 33 year old left tackle, most "experts" believe he has at least a couple more good years ahead of him. Paying Williams now makes more sense than paying Brown AND giving up the 25th pick in the draft. The only thing that would possibly change my mind is if Joe Cullen and others very familiar with his game are convinced that the success Brown had at left tackle for 9 games was not just due to the Ravens scheme. However, I'd still only give up the 25th pick this year and no more than a 3rd rounder in the 2022 draft. If the Ravens balk at this and Williams doesn't want to come here, I'd be o.k. with transitioning Cam Robinson and drafting the best left tackle at 25.

(02-26-2021, 02:22 AM)Eric1 Wrote:
(02-26-2021, 12:29 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I would too, but the price tag might be higher and that's where I draw the line.

He'd be expensive, but you'd have to re-sign him.  Otherwise, you'd end up paying the draft capital for a one year rental.  He'd be a free agent and you would have saved the money, but completely blown the pick you spent on him, and you'd be back in the same position you were in this year.

Whether it's for Trent Williams or Orlando Brown, Jr, or trading up for one of the tackles, getting a worthwhile solution to the LT position is most likely going to be expensive. 

Accept it and be prepared to pay.

We have the cap room to pay the price, and we have the franchise QB now worth it.

Think about it this way, over the past few years we've shed a lot of high or potentially high salaries in Calais Campbell, A.j. Bouye, Jalen Ramsey, and Yannick Ngakoue and paid the price in wins and losses.

If we added one high salary player, it would be to protect our franchise QB, who we'd have under the rookie deal for 3-5 years, and we'd reap the rewards in wins and losses.

(This post was last modified: 02-26-2021, 11:54 AM by HURRICANE!!!.)

(02-25-2021, 08:08 PM)mikesez Wrote: It would bring balance to the football universe, after they took Eugene Monroe from us.
Hopefully Brown comes and contributes!

I thought that was a major mistake at the time but in hindsight, the dude only went on to play 28 more games in his NFL career so I think we can label him as an underachiever.  I mean, going to the Ravens should have only elevated his career.  Perhaps practicing against Terrell Suggs and the Ravens DL made him rethink his career path.  lol

(This post was last modified: 02-26-2021, 03:03 PM by Upper.)

(02-26-2021, 10:04 AM)ATLjag Wrote: Orlando Brown Jr has made the pro bowl the past 2 seasons, once playing RT and the other also filling in at LT.  He has played far better than Cam Robinson, and does not play as slow as hinted.  I don't like giving up high draft capital, and would rather have a 2-3 year option in Trent Williams for that reason.  However, Orlando is a clear upgrade to Cam.

The problem is we just don't really know how he will play. EDGEs prioritize outside contain to the extreme when facing Lamar Jackson. Brown has hardly ever faced an inside move or an inside counter. When you aren't super fleet of foot like Brown it sure is nice to know that all you have to do is beat the EDGE to the outside and don't have to worry about the other half of the job. He also got more help from extra TE blocking than any other tackle.

I think he would be an upgrade on Cam, but a first round and more in picks plus giant contract better? I am skeptical.