Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Wilson > Lawrence

Wilson played: Troy, UTSA, Houston, Texas State, Western Kentucky, North Alabama....the ONE top 20 team he played: Coastal Carolina he went 19/30, 240 yards 1TD and 1 INT.

Lawrence played three top 10 teams in 2020: Miami, ND(he missed the first ND game), and OSU. In those three games: 87/125, 1014 yards, 7TDs and 2 picks.

Before his magical junior season: Wilson just shy of a 2/1 TD to INT ratio. Lawrence AVERAGES 5/1 over his college career. Ill take the known quantity whos performed on the bigger stage over the MIGHT BE.

“Motivation alone is not enough.  If you have an idiot and you motivate him,now you have a motivated idiot.” Jim Rohn

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

LOL these trolls that created accounts AFTER we got the number 1 pick crack me up sometimes.
A new broom always sweeps clean.

(03-09-2021, 04:02 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote:
(03-09-2021, 09:49 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Very few QB prospects come out of school rated as highly and as consistently as Lawrence.
He's in that Manning and Luck tier of grading.

You pick that guy and you don't look back. You just build around him.

That’s exactly right.

Considering Mel Kiper ranks Lawrence as the 4th highest graded QB EVER...(behind Elway, Luck, and Peyton Manning)?  Yeah, i'll take his opinion over Chris Simms. 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/3092...kes-top-10

“Motivation alone is not enough.  If you have an idiot and you motivate him,now you have a motivated idiot.” Jim Rohn

I still feel like the kid in the candy store after getting the number 1 pick.

Aint nobody taking my candy.

We already got Trevor in our clutches. The smooth talking snake oil salesmen can all piss off as far as I am concerned.

(03-09-2021, 07:59 PM)surfon Wrote: I still feel like the kid in the candy store after getting the number 1 pick.

Aint nobody taking my candy.

We already got Trevor in our clutches.  The smooth talking snake oil salesmen can all piss off as far as I am concerned.

Abso-freaking-lutely!

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Much less PR risk taking Lawrence as well.

1. If we take Lawrence and he Flops the Jags cannot be blamed. The vast majority believe he ia a very rare Talent coming out of school.

2. IF We Take Wilson and he flops? We are the Jagwads who skipped over a generational talent but a flash in the pan player.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

(This post was last modified: 03-09-2021, 08:19 PM by Cleatwood.)

(03-09-2021, 08:10 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: Much less PR risk taking Lawrence as well.

1. If we take Lawrence and he Flops the Jags cannot be blamed. The vast majority believe he ia a very rare Talent coming out of school.

2. IF We Take Wilson and he flops?  We are the Jagwads who skipped over a generational talent but a flash in the pan player.
You don’t have to worry about #2.

It’s Trevor and there’s literally not a single GM in the league who would take Wilson over Lawrence.

Hahahahahaa snake oil salesman. That’s the best man thank you! I really got a good chuckle over that.

Chris Simms has a pretty good record predicting QBs... he had Lamar and Allen ahead of Mayfield and Darnold in their draft year.

I guess a guy can’t have an opinion on this message board.

(03-09-2021, 08:45 PM)Rockin-Jags Wrote: Hahahahahaa snake oil salesman. That’s the best man thank you! I really got a good chuckle over that.

Chris Simms has a pretty good record predicting QBs... he had Lamar and Allen ahead of Mayfield and Darnold in their draft year.

That's not really a stretch. None of those guys were considered a once in a generation type talent.

(03-09-2021, 08:45 PM)Rockin-Jags Wrote: Hahahahahaa snake oil salesman. That’s the best man thank you! I really got a good chuckle over that.

Of course you can have an opinion on this board.

However, if you are going to have a contrarian argument, you'd better supply ample facts and logic to support your claim.  I dont think that is too much to ask.

You have yet to do so.

You have yet to address my comparison showing EIGHT (9) times in Wilson's college career, BYU was held to <21 points (including at least two in single digits) while TL's Clemson yeams were NEVER held to <21 points.

You have yet to address the other poster's observation about TD/INT ratio.

(03-09-2021, 09:00 PM)Bullseye Wrote:

Of course you can have an opinion on this board.

However, if you are going to have a contrarian argument, you'd better supply ample facts and logic to support your claim.  I dont think that is too much to ask.

You have yet to do so.

You have yet to address my comparison showing EIGHT (9) times in Wilson's college career, BYU was held to <21 points (including at least two in single digits) while TL's Clemson yeams were NEVER held to <21 points.

Ya I don’t really do stats or look at the level of competition. For me it’s the eye test. Like Ron Wolfe was famous for saying “trust your eyes”. The kid hits the target with a quick release on all different platforms. 

Maybe I’m wrong and Lawrence will be everything we hope he will be. To be completely honest with you it’s that when I watch him play I see Gabbert... and that stresses me out.. when I see Wilson play it reminds me of Rodgers/Mahomes with the twitchy hands and accuracy. 

It’s obvious that we will take Lawrence because if we don’t it will be a PR disaster. That’s unfortunate we are locked to the pick because I think Wilson is going to be a star.

(This post was last modified: 03-09-2021, 10:12 PM by Bullseye.)

(03-09-2021, 09:23 PM)Rockin-Jags Wrote:
(03-09-2021, 09:00 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Of course you can have an opinion on this board.

You have yet to do so.

Ya I don’t really do stats or look at the level of competition. For me it’s the eye test. Like Ron Wolfe was famous for saying “trust your eyes”. The kid hits the target with a quick release on all different platforms. 

Maybe I’m wrong and Lawrence will be everything we hope he will be. To be completely honest with you it’s that when I watch him play I see Gabbert... and that stresses me out.. when I see Wilson play it reminds me of Rodgers/Mahomes with the twitchy hands and accuracy. 

It’s obvious that we will take Lawrence because if we don’t it will be a PR disaster. That’s unfortunate we are locked to the pick because I think Wilson is going to be a star.

I'm not a huge stats guy either, but there has to be a way of quantifying your statements.

You say you use the eye test, but how reliable is that?  You say he hits the targets on all platforms.  Does he hit those targets with guys like former top 3 1st round picks Quinnen Williams or Chase Young in his face, against a second round safety like Grant Delpit, beating a corner like Caleb fairly the way Trevor Lawrence has?  That's why level of competition has to be a factor.

Just this past season, hLawrence went up against guys discussed as candidates to be drafted in the first three rounds like Gregory Rousseau, Jaelen Phillips, Ifeatu Melifonwu, Asante Samuel, Baron Browning, Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah, and Carlos Basham.  Is there a comparable list of defenders Wilson ever had to play against?

If he has all of these physical tools, why didn't they translate into high productivity all three years of his career?

(03-09-2021, 09:23 PM)Rockin-Jags Wrote:
(03-09-2021, 09:00 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Of course you can have an opinion on this board.

You have yet to do so.

"Eye Test" means you have nothing to support your opinion.

(03-09-2021, 09:55 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(03-09-2021, 09:23 PM)Rockin-Jags Wrote: Ya I don’t really do stats or look at the level of competition. For me it’s the eye test. Like Ron Wolfe was famous for saying “trust your eyes”. The kid hits the target with a quick release on all different platforms. 

I'm not a huge stats guy either, but there has to be a way of quantifying your statements.

You say you use the eye test, but how reliable is that?  You say he hits the targets on all platforms.  Does he hit those targets with guys like former top 3 1st round picks Quinnen Williams or Chase Young in his face, against a second round safety like Grant Delpit, beating a corner like Caleb fairly the way Trevor Lawrence has?  That's why level of competition has to be a factor.

Just this past season, hLawrence went up against guys discussed as candidates to be drafted in the first three rounds like Gregory Rousseau, Jaelen Phillips, Ifeatu Melifonwu, Asante Samuel, Baron Browning, Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah, and Carlos Basham.  Is there a comparable list of defenders Wilson ever had to play against?

If he has all of these physical tools, why didn't they translate into high productivity all three years of his career?

I just saw that quick release and accuracy.. it’s kinda hard not to like that.. that’s 2 really important traits at the pro level. I like how he can beat you in the pocket, outside the pocket and with his feet. Trevor can absolutely do the same. It’s just looks better when Wilson does it. 

No doubt he didn’t go up against top level talent I’m not disputing that. I’m saying if a guy is covered he’s covered no matter if it’s high school, college or the pros and if you can fit it in that window.. it’s still in the window.. Mahomes didn’t face stiff competition, neither did Josh Allen, neither did Favre if you want to go back.. either you got the IT factor or you don’t. Wilson has that IT factor. Lawrence scares me with that long throwing motion, it comes out fast still man it’s long. 

I thought Rousseau didn’t play this year and opted out? Ya Trevor played well against stiffer competition and I’m not arguing he isn’t a good prospect but his best games in my opinion was vs Citadel and Georgia tech... Not really the best competition either... 

I just wasn’t blown away with every throw/run he had the way I was blown away with Wilson’s. If you got the time check it out with an open mind and if you still feel TL is the better prospect this year I’ll be fine with your opinion.

I am torn, not because I think Wilson is better than Lawrence, but because I really like Wilson, a lot. I would draft him over anyone not named Trevor Lawrence. I could care less about the Coastal Carolina game. Coastal Carolina was legit and Wilson was leading BYU on the game winning drive when the WR got tackled just short of goal line.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(03-09-2021, 10:40 PM)Rockin-Jags Wrote:
(03-09-2021, 09:55 PM)Bullseye Wrote: I'm not a huge stats guy either, but there has to be a way of quantifying your statements.

I just saw that quick release and accuracy.. it’s kinda hard not to like that.. that’s 2 really important traits at the pro level. I like how he can beat you in the pocket, outside the pocket and with his feet. Trevor can absolutely do the same. It’s just looks better when Wilson does it. 

No doubt he didn’t go up against top level talent I’m not disputing that. I’m saying if a guy is covered he’s covered no matter if it’s high school, college or the pros and if you can fit it in that window.. it’s still in the window.. Mahomes didn’t face stiff competition, neither did Josh Allen, neither did Favre if you want to go back.. either you got the IT factor or you don’t. Wilson has that IT factor. Lawrence scares me with that long throwing motion, it comes out fast still man it’s long. 

I thought Rousseau didn’t play this year and opted out? Ya Trevor played well against stiffer competition and I’m not arguing he isn’t a good prospect but his best games in my opinion was vs Citadel and Georgia tech... Not really the best competition either... 

I just wasn’t blown away with every throw/run he had the way I was blown away with Wilson’s. If you got the time check it out with an open mind and if you still feel TL is the better prospect this year I’ll be fine with your opinion.

I get that you are writing fan fiction on this Zac Wilson kid but back it up with some facts.

Mahomes is tied for the fastest throw (60 mph) in the history of the NFL combine and has elite 3 cone (6.88).
What numbers that Zac Wilson has to back that up. Nothing but your "Eye Test"

(03-09-2021, 10:40 PM)Rockin-Jags Wrote:
(03-09-2021, 09:55 PM)Bullseye Wrote: I'm not a huge stats guy either, but there has to be a way of quantifying your statements.

I think its interesting reading your comments. I watched several videos of Simms talking about Wilson over Trevor. You said all the same talking points, except "when he gets out of the pocket he says, you're double triple dog daring me...ok ill run for 15-20 yards". He said the same thing, "he looks like Rodgers and Mahomes" "he's going to be a star" "passes the eye test".
"Don't argue with an idiot, people watching may not be able to tell the difference."

Can you imagine if the Jags took WIlson, and the Jets snagged Lawrence ... and then ...

WIlson becomes blah, and then Lawrence becomes an MVP?

This franchise would never recover.
You're Welcome.

(03-10-2021, 01:01 AM)maddenisfordorks Wrote: Can you imagine if the Jags took WIlson, and the Jets snagged Lawrence ... and then ...

WIlson becomes blah, and then Lawrence becomes an MVP?

This franchise would never recover.

It'd be like selecting Sam Bowie over Michael Jordan.

Laughing stock for eternity.

(03-08-2021, 07:39 PM)Rockin-Jags Wrote:
(03-08-2021, 07:32 PM)NoShoes Wrote: Glad you’re not Meyer.

I love Zach Wilson. But his floor is much lower than Lawrence’s while not having a higher ceiling. Why risk it.

I agree that Wilson’s floor is lower but his ceiling is higher. It’s close though. The quick release and accuracy you can’t teach. It has to come naturally.

Lawrence floor Blain Gabbert 
Lawrence ceiling John Elway

Wilson floor Johnny Manziel 
Wilson ceiling Aaron Rodgers

Elway went to 5 Super Bowls and won 2 compared to Rodgers 1-1 and 1-4 record in Conference Championship games. 

I'd be thrilled with Elway.