Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Who is your draft crush (Sans Trevor)

(04-05-2021, 02:06 PM)Bullseye Wrote: I may have missed that article. I found this one, but it wasn't from Shipley.

https://www.si.com/nfl/jaguars/news/exam...at-clemson

Sorry I see it was written by one of Shipley's underlings. I saw it by him promoting it. Regardless, I think we will be just fine if we put an extra fast guy out there instead of a TE in most cases. Especially since we all know not to expect much from a rookie TE to begin with.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(04-05-2021, 03:03 PM)Upper Wrote:
(04-05-2021, 02:06 PM)Bullseye Wrote: I may have missed that article.  I found this one, but it wasn't from Shipley.

https://www.si.com/nfl/jaguars/news/exam...at-clemson

Sorry I see it was written by one of Shipley's underlings. I saw it by him promoting it. Regardless, I think we will be just fine if we put an extra fast guy out there instead of a TE in most cases. Especially since we all know not to expect much from a rookie TE to begin with.

So you would be okay with, say, Toney taken instead of Friermuth?

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(04-05-2021, 03:10 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(04-05-2021, 03:03 PM)Upper Wrote: Sorry I see it was written by one of Shipley's underlings. I saw it by him promoting it. Regardless, I think we will be just fine if we put an extra fast guy out there instead of a TE in most cases. Especially since we all know not to expect much from a rookie TE to begin with.

So you would be okay with, say, Toney taken instead of Friermuth?

Toney probably wouldn't be my top choice, but yes.

For a rookie quarterback entering the NFL, a safety valve like a good TE is invaluable. Opposing defenses will be throwing all but the kitchen sink at the new talented Trevor. Having faster receivers won’t help if he doesn’t have the time. Having an effective blocking and fast accelerating TE like Freiermuth would be invaluable for quick dump offs under extreme pass rushes and blitzes. Once catching a pass with linebackers blitzing, Pat is tough to tackle by free safeties and cornerbacks. He can dish out some punishment. The running game and dump offs will open up the long pass routes for Clark and company. They will be the daggers.
Considering Trevor hasn’t had much experience using TEs, he better learn. This is the NFL......big time football. An effective TE will be one of his best buddies. Just look at the TEs of the top NFL teams these days. NE, KC, TB, SF, Tenn.

(04-05-2021, 06:21 PM)burt1jason Wrote: For a rookie quarterback entering the NFL, a safety valve like a good TE is invaluable. Opposing defenses will be throwing all but the kitchen sink at the new talented Trevor. Having faster receivers won’t help if he doesn’t have the time. Having an effective blocking and fast accelerating TE like Freiermuth would be invaluable for quick dump offs under extreme pass rushes and blitzes. Once catching a pass with linebackers blitzing, Pat is tough to tackle by free safeties and cornerbacks. He can dish out some punishment. The running game and dump offs will open up the long pass routes for Clark and company. They will be the daggers.
Considering Trevor hasn’t had much experience using TEs, he better learn. This is the NFL......big time football. An effective TE will be one of his best buddies. Just look at the TEs of the top NFL teams these days. NE, KC, TB, SF, Tenn.

Trevor has never had a good TE.  Urban and Bevell both like th initiate their TEs into the offense.  I'm not sure how the draft will fall but a safety blanket like Freiermuth at 45 would be a very solid pick

Or 33......if we’re lucky.

(04-05-2021, 07:18 PM)burt1jason Wrote: Or 33......if we’re lucky.

I think there will be better players available at 33.

(04-05-2021, 07:13 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(04-05-2021, 06:21 PM)burt1jason Wrote: For a rookie quarterback entering the NFL, a safety valve like a good TE is invaluable. Opposing defenses will be throwing all but the kitchen sink at the new talented Trevor. Having faster receivers won’t help if he doesn’t have the time. Having an effective blocking and fast accelerating TE like Freiermuth would be invaluable for quick dump offs under extreme pass rushes and blitzes. Once catching a pass with linebackers blitzing, Pat is tough to tackle by free safeties and cornerbacks. He can dish out some punishment. The running game and dump offs will open up the long pass routes for Clark and company. They will be the daggers.

Trevor has never had a good TE.  Urban and Bevell both like th initiate their TEs into the offense.  I'm not sure how the draft will fall but a safety blanket like Freiermuth at 45 would be a very solid pick
I wasn't sure until now, but Meyer said it will be his offense that Bevell runs, not Bevell's.

I didn't follow Meyer closely enough to have a handle on what his offenses do, completely.  I know he produced at least one good TE.

(04-05-2021, 07:31 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(04-05-2021, 07:18 PM)burt1jason Wrote: Or 33......if we’re lucky.

I think there will be better players available at 33.

Our failure to secure a decent TE in free agency mandates we get a good two-way TE in the draft.....IMHO.

(04-05-2021, 07:47 PM)burt1jason Wrote:
(04-05-2021, 07:31 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I think there will be better players available at 33.

Our failure to secure a decent TE in free agency mandates we get a good two-way TE in the draft.....IMHO.

I'd like to get one as well but I'm not going to reach for one or any position that is

(04-05-2021, 08:12 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(04-05-2021, 07:47 PM)burt1jason Wrote: Our failure to secure a decent TE in free agency mandates we get a good two-way TE in the draft.....IMHO.

I'd like to get one as well but I'm not going to reach for one or any position that is

I’m willing to reach a little for the benefit of our new quarterback. Remember that we didn’t upgrade our 2 tackles in FA either. Of course.....if Micah Parsons falls or one of the top ranked OTs.....then I would go that route as well. I don’t want to see what happened to Joe Burrow last year happen to Trevor. I want to take as much pressure off of him as possible considering the kind of all out pressure that will be brought by the opposition.

(04-05-2021, 08:28 PM)burt1jason Wrote:
(04-05-2021, 08:12 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I'd like to get one as well but I'm not going to reach for one or any position that is

I’m willing to reach a little for the benefit of our new quarterback. Remember that we didn’t upgrade our 2 tackles in FA either. Of course.....if Micah Parsons falls or one of the top ranked OTs.....then I would go that route as well. I don’t want to see what happened to Joe Burrow last year happen to Trevor. I want to take as much pressure off of him as possible considering the kind of all out pressure that will be brought by the opposition.
There are multiple ways you could help Lawrence other than reaching for a player.   A great defense is one way, an olineman like you said, even a dynamic WR.  We just added one of the best blocking TEs in the game and James O will be a year back from his ACL.  You can even do it with play calling.  I like Freiermuth as well but we need value as well.

Starting to really come around on Tommy Tremble. He’s a nasty blocker and tested super well. Reminds me a lot of Kittle coming out of Iowa.

(04-05-2021, 08:28 PM)burt1jason Wrote:
(04-05-2021, 08:12 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I'd like to get one as well but I'm not going to reach for one or any position that is

It's not the Burrow injury that really shapes my opinion.  An injury of that nature can happen any number of ways.  Boselli tore his ACL simply running down the field.

Andrew Luck's early retirement is the recent development that shapes my opinion on how best to build around Trevor Lawrence.

(04-05-2021, 08:49 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(04-05-2021, 08:28 PM)burt1jason Wrote: I’m willing to reach a little for the benefit of our new quarterback. Remember that we didn’t upgrade our 2 tackles in FA either. Of course.....if Micah Parsons falls or one of the top ranked OTs.....then I would go that route as well. I don’t want to see what happened to Joe Burrow last year happen to Trevor. I want to take as much pressure off of him as possible considering the kind of all out pressure that will be brought by the opposition.
There are multiple ways you could help Lawrence other than reaching for a player.   A great defense is one way, an olineman like you said, even a dynamic WR.  We just added one of the best blocking TEs in the game and James O will be a year back from his ACL.  You can even do it with play calling.  I like Freiermuth as well but we need value as well.

Agree to a point......a blocking only TE? Not much of a mystery there huh? A two way TE is much more valuable IMO. How much you reach is always a matter of opinion. It’s why guys like Brady fall 6 rounds. Watch the Pats this year with 2 quality TEs this year. They will be really tough on opposing defenses. That move will improve both their run and passing games.

(04-05-2021, 08:58 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(04-05-2021, 08:28 PM)burt1jason Wrote: I’m willing to reach a little for the benefit of our new quarterback. Remember that we didn’t upgrade our 2 tackles in FA either. Of course.....if Micah Parsons falls or one of the top ranked OTs.....then I would go that route as well. I don’t want to see what happened to Joe Burrow last year happen to Trevor. I want to take as much pressure off of him as possible considering the kind of all out pressure that will be brought by the opposition.

It's not the Burrow injury that really shapes my opinion.  An injury of that nature can happen any number of ways.  Boselli tore his ACL simply running down the field.

Andrew Luck's early retirement is the recent development that shapes my opinion on how best to build around Trevor Lawrence.

Yes....can happen to anyone. But the poor guy was running for his life half the time.....same with Luck. Looks like we won’t be able to improve our OL much till next year. At least give the guy a half decent TE. If we’re lucky, he’ll be there at 33......or if we’re really really lucky......at 45.

(This post was last modified: 04-05-2021, 09:29 PM by Upper.)

(04-05-2021, 06:21 PM)burt1jason Wrote: For a rookie quarterback entering the NFL, a safety valve like a good TE is invaluable.

Yeah well a rookie TE isn't going to be a valuable safety valve for a rookie QB. Everyone knows rookie TE career arc by now.

(04-05-2021, 08:50 PM)HolsterHusto Wrote: Starting to really come around on Tommy Tremble. He’s a nasty blocker and tested super well. Reminds me a lot of Kittle coming out of Iowa.

Agree Tremble is going to be my favorite TE value, but only at pick 108. If someone else takes him between 65 and 108 then so be it. Also wouldn't hate trading up to the late 3rd to get him, but he's just not a top 65 player in this class.

(04-05-2021, 09:28 PM)Upper Wrote:
(04-05-2021, 06:21 PM)burt1jason Wrote: For a rookie quarterback entering the NFL, a safety valve like a good TE is invaluable.

Yeah well a rookie TE isn't going to be a valuable safety valve for a rookie QB. Everyone knows rookie TE career arc by now.

(04-05-2021, 08:50 PM)HolsterHusto Wrote: Starting to really come around on Tommy Tremble. He’s a nasty blocker and tested super well. Reminds me a lot of Kittle coming out of Iowa.

Agree Tremble is going to be my favorite TE value, but only at pick 108. If someone else takes him between 65 and 108 then so be it. Also wouldn't hate trading up to the late 3rd to get him, but he's just not a top 65 player in this class.

I thought you wanted Jordan at TE?

(04-05-2021, 09:42 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(04-05-2021, 09:28 PM)Upper Wrote: Yeah well a rookie TE isn't going to be a valuable safety valve for a rookie QB. Everyone knows rookie TE career arc by now.

I thought you wanted Jordan at TE?

Nope I was quite careful to say that I wanted Jordan more than Freiermuth, but that I didn't really want either of them. I don't really want Tremble either, but if we're going to take one Tremble in the 4th is the best value.

(04-05-2021, 10:41 PM)Upper Wrote:
(04-05-2021, 09:42 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I thought you wanted Jordan at TE?

Nope I was quite careful to say that I wanted Jordan more than Freiermuth, but that I didn't really want either of them. I don't really want Tremble either, but if we're going to take one Tremble in the 4th is the best value.

So how would you prefer the team address the position?

Trade for a vet like Ertz or Njoku?

Wait for cuts and address the position next year?