Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Sam Darnold to the Panthers

(This post was last modified: 04-07-2021, 03:51 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(04-07-2021, 02:10 PM)D6 Wrote:
(04-07-2021, 01:42 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Yes, Teddy had the career year with 14 TDs and 9 Ints.  That Vikings team had one of the most talented rosters in the league.  The following year Cousins had almost 5000 yards and 25 TDs, im not  so sure he would of been able to do what Cousins did.  I doubt if he would of been able to take them to the playoffs much less go farther.  Was it the next year when Cousins made the great pass to Diggs to take the Vikings to the NFC Championship?  Teddy has been back for a few years now from the injury and had a decent team last year while failing to do much and Carolina just traded for Darnold.  I'm sure if there wasn't something there Joe Brady wouldn't be looking for his replacement

It was Case Keenum who made the 'Minneapolis Miracle' throw to Stefon Diggs. Kirk Cousins was signed by the Vikings as a UFA around 2 months later.

Teddy Bridgewater will never regain his pre-knee injury skills. It's a near miracle that Bridgewater even was able to play again.  Before the knee injury, I believe Bridgewater was on a path to be a good ( not great ) starting QB in the NFL. Stats didn't reflect the moxie that Teddy brought to the table.
Yeah it was Keenum, even worse really, he helped get that te to the NFC Championship.  If Teddy was a QB like Jackson or Watson that used their athletic ability i would agree, that was never Teddy.  The only stat I brought up was TDs.  TDs=points.  You can have all the moxie in the world if that's what you want to call it but if you're not getting in the endzone it doesn't really matter.  Defenses know just play close when playing against Teddy because he doesn't have the arm to beat you deep and it's not in his game,  it was the same way for him in college.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(04-07-2021, 01:42 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(04-07-2021, 01:04 PM)D6 Wrote: From the viewpoint of when the Vikings drafted Teddy Bridgewater ( end of Round 1 ) , I believe he would have been a good long term value selection by them,  if not for the non contact practice  knee injury that easily could have ended his NFL playing career.

Teddy Bridgewater made substantial progress in the 2015 season, helping lead to the Vikings to the NFC North Championship.  This was the 2nd of 2 seasons the Vikings played in their temporary outdoor home on the campus of the University of Minnesota.  A 27 yard missed FG by then Vikings K Blair Walsh against the Seahawks in the first round of the playoffs was VERY likely the difference in the outcome of the game.

With the Vikings new dome stadium ready for the 2016 season, Bridgewater would have been better equipped to take his game to an even higher level.  Though eventual Vikings QB Kirk Cousins puts up stats that help Fantasy Football participants,  I'm of the opinion that Bridgewater would have given the Vikings a better chance of going deep in the playoffs ( if not for the knee injury ).

Yes, Teddy had the career year with 14 TDs and 9 Ints.  That Vikings team had one of the most talented rosters in the league.  The following year Cousins had almost 5000 yards and 25 TDs, im not  so sure he would of been able to do what Cousins did.  I doubt if he would of been able to take them to the playoffs much less go farther.  Was it the next year when Cousins made the great pass to Diggs to take the Vikings to the NFC Championship?  Teddy has been back for a few years now from the injury and had a decent team last year while failing to do much and Carolina just traded for Darnold.  I'm sure if there wasn't something there Joe Brady wouldn't be looking for his replacement

The year after Tebow’s fluke playoff win. Manning took that team to 13-3. I am not sure what we are debating, but did Teddy have a much better supporting cast than Tim?

Neither were/ are successful. One has at least managed to be a journeyman backup. I would have enjoyed watching Tebow in a Taysom Hill roll, but he refused to compromise (or had a better offer as a commentator).

(This post was last modified: 04-08-2021, 08:40 AM by Mikey.)

(04-07-2021, 10:38 AM)Kane Wrote: So Darnold to the Panthers eh?

Darnold gets a fresh start and a chance to prove he's worthy of being an NFL starter. Doesn't cost the Panthers too much but if Darnold is good and not great for 2 seasons they'll be in QB limbo yet again in 2 seasons. The Jets (I assume) will be selecting Wilson at 2 now... And they can hit reset on their rebuild yet again.

Do they try to move Bridgewater or keep him as an expensive back up. Or is Darnold more of a cheap insurance policy for Teddy?

Darnold has one year left on his rookie deal. If they want to exercise the fifth year option, I believe they have to notify him by May 3, essentially sight unseen in their offense. More likely that if they roll with him, they either extend him during or shortly after the season.

They've already given Teddy permission to seek a trade, but I dunno if any GMs have spare ham sammiches laying around.

(04-07-2021, 11:20 AM)D6 Wrote:

Darnold gets a fresh start and a chance to prove he's worthy of being an NFL starter. Doesn't cost the Panthers too much but if Darnold is good and not great for 2 seasons they'll be in QB limbo yet again in 2 seasons. The Jets (I assume) will be selecting Wilson at 2 now... And they can hit reset on their rebuild yet again.

Do they try to move Bridgewater or keep him as an expensive back up. Or is Darnold more of a cheap insurance policy for Teddy?

It looks like the Panthers prefer to trade Teddy Bridgewater:

Report: Panthers allow Teddy Bridgewater to talk to teams about trade - ProFootballTalk (nbcsports.com)

Of course they prefer to trade, they are on the hook for $10M of this year's salary if they cut him!

This is akin to when we cut Bort, and he signed with the Rams for a minimum deal in year one, since we were still paying him the bulk of that year's wages. Had we been able to trade, the other team would have had to honor the existing deal or renegotiate after the trade.

(04-07-2021, 11:24 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(04-07-2021, 10:35 AM)Bullseye Wrote: Though I wanted Bridgewater, I didn't compare him to Manning (at least I don't recall).  But taking your representations at face value, do you seriously think the same fanbase that put up banners across the I-95 overpass, wore sandwich boards to the games, petitioned the President to make the Jaguars draft Tebow, and became BroncGators actually fares better in this analysis?!?

There isn't any question if we would of been a better team with Tebow instead of Gabbert running the option with Tebow and MJD like Den used with him and McGahee.  Did I say you compared Teddy to Manning?

Once the excavator is in a hole, it's best to stop digging.

Did you seriously just suggest that we run the option?

(04-07-2021, 01:42 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(04-07-2021, 01:04 PM)D6 Wrote: From the viewpoint of when the Vikings drafted Teddy Bridgewater ( end of Round 1 ) , I believe he would have been a good long term value selection by them,  if not for the non contact practice  knee injury that easily could have ended his NFL playing career.

Teddy Bridgewater made substantial progress in the 2015 season, helping lead to the Vikings to the NFC North Championship.  This was the 2nd of 2 seasons the Vikings played in their temporary outdoor home on the campus of the University of Minnesota.  A 27 yard missed FG by then Vikings K Blair Walsh against the Seahawks in the first round of the playoffs was VERY likely the difference in the outcome of the game.

With the Vikings new dome stadium ready for the 2016 season, Bridgewater would have been better equipped to take his game to an even higher level.  Though eventual Vikings QB Kirk Cousins puts up stats that help Fantasy Football participants,  I'm of the opinion that Bridgewater would have given the Vikings a better chance of going deep in the playoffs ( if not for the knee injury ).

Yes, Teddy had the career year with 14 TDs and 9 Ints.  That Vikings team had one of the most talented rosters in the league.  The following year Cousins had almost 5000 yards and 25 TDs, im not  so sure he would of been able to do what Cousins did.  I doubt if he would of been able to take them to the playoffs much less go farther.  Was it the next year when Cousins made the great pass to Diggs to take the Vikings to the NFC Championship?  Teddy has been back for a few years now from the injury and had a decent team last year while failing to do much and Carolina just traded for Darnold.  I'm sure if there wasn't something there Joe Brady wouldn't be looking for his replacement

By great pass to Diggs, you mean the pitiful attempt by NO at defense/tackling? The noodle-armed Case Keenum threw a hail mary 34 yards short of the end zone. The Vikes rewarded Keenum for his efforts by signing Cousins to a fully-guaranteed contract that offseason.

Silly me for fact-checking, I know.

(04-08-2021, 08:54 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(04-07-2021, 01:42 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Yes, Teddy had the career year with 14 TDs and 9 Ints.  That Vikings team had one of the most talented rosters in the league.  The following year Cousins had almost 5000 yards and 25 TDs, im not  so sure he would of been able to do what Cousins did.  I doubt if he would of been able to take them to the playoffs much less go farther.  Was it the next year when Cousins made the great pass to Diggs to take the Vikings to the NFC Championship?  Teddy has been back for a few years now from the injury and had a decent team last year while failing to do much and Carolina just traded for Darnold.  I'm sure if there wasn't something there Joe Brady wouldn't be looking for his replacement

By great pass to Diggs, you mean the pitiful attempt by NO at defense/tackling? The noodle-armed Case Keenum threw a hail mary 34 yards short of the end zone. The Vikes rewarded Keenum for his efforts by signing Cousins to a fully-guaranteed contract that offseason.

Silly me for fact-checking, I know.

Yeah, great pass is a tad far-fetched.  For the DB to let Diggs get in back of him was inexcusable with a half-[BLEEP] tackle attempt at that point of the game.  Ridiculous.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(04-08-2021, 08:37 AM)Mikey Wrote:

Darnold has one year left on his rookie deal. If they want to exercise the fifth year option, I believe they have to notify him by May 3, essentially sight unseen in their offense. More likely that if they roll with him, they either extend him during or shortly after the season.

They've already given Teddy permission to seek a trade, but I dunno if any GMs have spare ham sammiches laying around.

(04-07-2021, 11:20 AM)D6 Wrote: It looks like the Panthers prefer to trade Teddy Bridgewater:

Report: Panthers allow Teddy Bridgewater to talk to teams about trade - ProFootballTalk (nbcsports.com)

Of course they prefer to trade, they are on the hook for $10M of this year's salary if they cut him!

This is akin to when we cut Bort, and he signed with the Rams for a minimum deal in year one, since we were still paying him the bulk of that year's wages. Had we been able to trade, the other team would have had to honor the existing deal or renegotiate after the trade.

I believe they exercised his 5th year option already.

I think Teddy has a better trade market than Bortles. Probably could fetch the Panthers a mid round pick.

(04-08-2021, 10:14 AM)Kane Wrote:
(04-08-2021, 08:37 AM)Mikey Wrote: Darnold has one year left on his rookie deal. If they want to exercise the fifth year option, I believe they have to notify him by May 3, essentially sight unseen in their offense. More likely that if they roll with him, they either extend him during or shortly after the season.

I believe they exercised his 5th year option already.

I think Teddy has a better trade market than Bortles. Probably could fetch the Panthers a mid round pick.

I hadn't seen that, and wow, that is some doubling down on dumb

Quote:The fifth-year option will run the Panthers $18.858 million for the 2022 season.

(04-07-2021, 10:27 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(04-07-2021, 06:17 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Yet Tebow still has more playoff wins

The hilarious thing is earlier in the thread, you made it a point to illustrate that Bridgewater has never thrown more than 15 TDs in a season.  At least he's hit double digits in his career.  Bridgewater has about 6.5 times as many career TDs (53) as Tebow (8).  This disparity exists even though Bridgewater missed two seasons recovering from what many thought was a freak, career ending no contact knee injury.  For additional perspective, consider the biggest QB busts in recent NFL history.  Blaine Gabbert has thrown 50 career TDs-over 6 times as many TDs ad Tebow.    Jamarcus Russell, he of the purple drank and unwatched DVDs, has ten (10) more TDs and a higher completion percentage than Tebow.  Johnny Manziel, who played 6 fewer games than Tebow, only has one fewer TDs than Tebow's 8 and is ten points higher in completion percentage..  Ryan Leaf (17) has more than DOUBLE the TDs than Tebow.   By what objective criteria do you conclude that Bridgewater couldn't hold Tebow's jock strap as far as their NFL careers are concerned?!?

(04-07-2021, 08:26 AM)RicoTx Wrote: Panties in a wad?  LOL.  More like you clinging to Timmy's jockstrap.  That 'game winning pass in OT ' was about 10 yard slant over the middle and horrible defense by the Steelers.  Keep dreaming Mrs. Tebow.

Against a similar, cover zero defense that cost the Jets their win against the Raiders.

It's not as if Tebow went through his progressions and looked off safeties to complete that game winning pass.

There were no safeties to look off on the play!

The Steelers did not respect Tebow's ability at all.

Officer, I'd like to report a murder.

(04-06-2021, 10:30 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(04-06-2021, 10:02 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Dude couldn't hold Tebow's jock strap.  With that said, never did I want to tank for Tebow nor did I say he was Manning or Montana.  Even though he was putting up better numbers than Elway in their first year as a starter and helped lead his team to the playoffs and won a playoff game.

You kidding?

Bridgewater is still in the league.

Tebow has long since vanished from the league.

Bridgewater has made a Pro Bowl.  Tebow has not.

Bridgewater has a career completion percentage of 66.5%, almost 20 points higher than Tebow's 47.9%.

I don't want to hear about dink and dunk, either.  He has a higher y/a than Tebow, too.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/p...idTe00.htm

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/p...boTi00.htm

Bridgewater didn't become the QB many people thought he would.  But to say he couldn't hold Tebow's jock is a spectacular misrepresentation of their comparative NFL performances, akin to Gator homerism run amok.
Lol, in your dreams