Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Sam Darnold to the Panthers

Darnold is younger than Burrow (only 23) and has played with the absolute worst OC and HC. He’s also had mono and spent most of his career with no weapons.

Now he has Joe Brady, Rhule, CMac, Anderson and DJ Moore. I like this move for the Panthers because there’s no guarantee the QB they like will be there for them in the 1st round. Darnold will be in position to succeed.

Very intrigued to see how Darnold and Wentz do in their new surroundings.

Also glad we have Trevor lol

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(04-05-2021, 08:40 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I find it rather telling that the Panthers would rather have Sam Darnold over Justin Fields or Trey Lance.

I think it’s more about getting into striking range would cost a wealth of draft capital as opposed to getting a highly talented QB who’s only 23. San Fran had to give up 3 first rounders to move up, so I imagine Carolina would need to give up at least 2 firsts and change as opposed to late picks and a 2nd.

(This post was last modified: 04-05-2021, 11:33 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(04-05-2021, 08:50 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(04-05-2021, 08:08 PM)D6 Wrote: The reaction of many of the Carolina Panthers fans is a great example of the high level of subjectivity with most trades, draft decisions, and roster evaluation.  

By no means am I viewing the Panthers as a legit 2021 season Super Bowl contender heading into the 2021 Draft. Yet, with the strong foundation they have on Defense, and some key pieces in place on Offense,  the thought of the Panthers being a bottom 5 team this coming season never even came to mind.
Precisely.

Unless they have an ungodly amount of injuries, I see no way they are a bottom five team.

(04-05-2021, 08:40 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I find it rather telling that the Panthers would rather have Sam Darnold over Justin Fields or Trey Lance.

I'm not sure if it's an indictment of them as much as it is an indictment of the cost to trade up to get them.

I really don't think they'd have to trade up. I have both Fields and Lance on the board when they pick at #8. Now I have them taking OT Rashawn Slater, Fields going to the Broncos and Lance falling to the Patriots.

(04-05-2021, 11:00 PM)Black and Teal Wrote:

I think it’s more about getting into striking range would cost a wealth of draft capital as opposed to getting a highly talented QB who’s only 23. San Fran had to give up 3 first rounders to move up, so I imagine Carolina would need to give up at least 2 firsts and change as opposed to late picks and a 2nd.

I have Fields and Lance both on the board when Carolina picks at #8. Now I have Carolina going OT. I have Fields to Denver and Lance to New England with neither team trading up.

(04-05-2021, 05:03 PM)rufftime Wrote: Jags fans are biased of course, but which of the below would you rather see as a Panthers fan?

The Darnold deal described above

Trade a 2022 3rd for Minshew

I would take Minshew personally.  Less capital to acquire and honestly a higher floor than Darnold.  Good for the Jets though!

Had they traded the 2021 6th for a ham sammich, that would have been a better deal than Darnold. Next year he will be an FA, and they will be short two picks in the darft, including a high second. It is an unbelievably bad trade.

I don't know if they think he's a developmental guy or what, but they are now on the hook for $4.7M to kick the tires while still owing Teddy 20M guaranteed over the next two seasons. To answer your question, of course Minshew is the better deal on paper, unless they think that they can make Darnold something he hasn't been since he was drafted (and maybe before that). He'd be cheaper for both seasons, he'd still be on the roster when your traded picks are actually made, and he has just as much chance of being a reliable starter as Darnold.

I don't see why they did it, other than wanting to be in the headlines as the team that made the trade.

(04-05-2021, 08:50 PM)Bullseye Wrote:

I'm not sure if it's an indictment of them as much as it is an indictment of the cost to trade up to get them.

I think the assumption made by OLM was that they were standing pat and taking the leftovers. I didn't see them as a team looking to move, especially once SF moved to 3. at that point the cost to move up a position or 3 wasn't worth the QBs left on the board. If they fall, take them, otherwise, let the draft come to you, roll with Teddy, and next year is the year you find your QB.

(04-06-2021, 08:20 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(04-05-2021, 05:03 PM)rufftime Wrote: Jags fans are biased of course, but which of the below would you rather see as a Panthers fan?

The Darnold deal described above

Trade a 2022 3rd for Minshew

I would take Minshew personally.  Less capital to acquire and honestly a higher floor than Darnold.  Good for the Jets though!

Had they traded the 2021 6th for a ham sammich, that would have been a better deal than Darnold. Next year he will be an FA, and they will be short two picks in the darft, including a high second. It is an unbelievably bad trade.

I don't know if they think he's a developmental guy or what, but they are now on the hook for $4.7M to kick the tires while still owing Teddy 20M guaranteed over the next two seasons. To answer your question, of course Minshew is the better deal on paper, unless they think that they can make Darnold something he hasn't been since he was drafted (and maybe before that). He'd be cheaper for both seasons, he'd still be on the roster when your traded picks are actually made, and he has just as much chance of being a reliable starter as Darnold.

I don't see why they did it, other than wanting to be in the headlines as the team that made the trade.
I can see why they took a chance on him.

Darnold was a highly drafted guy back in 2018.

But he got drafted by the Jets-a team utterly devoid of talent and coaching.

To put their coaching in perspective, Adam Gase was coaching the Dolphins before he became coach of the Jets.  He was unable to get anything from Ryan Tannehill and let him walk.  Tennehill went to the tacks and put together the best two years of his career.

Gase couldn't get anything out of Darnold, either.

In Carolina, he'll be coached by Joe Brady, who developed Burrow at LSU and took that offense to an unreal level.  When he left, the LSU offense dropped off like a rock.  He'll also have more surrounding talent with a healthy McCafrey, DJ Moore and Robby Anderson, who was with Darnold early in his short career and was better than anyone the Jets had last year.

The price for Darnold wasn't cost prohibitive.  If he doesn't work out, it's no major loss that can't be overcome.  Heck, they could recoup that 2nd rounder in this draft if they decided to trade back to a team like Washington or Chicago that's desperate for a QB.  If they decided to trade up into the top 4-5, they would have paid a price somewhere between what SF paid to move up to three and what Miami paid to switch places with Philly-possibly a couple of first round picks or more. But for the Watson off field stuff, they were supposedly interested in trading for him.  His costs would have been astronomical.

With Darnold they won't have to deal with the growing pains associated with rookie QBs.  He's been in the league for three years as a starter.  While there may be some damage wrought by Gase's incompetence, he's seen three years of NFL coverages, etc.  He at least has some idea of how NFL players should conduct themselves, the potential pitfalls and distractions that come with the NFL life, etc.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

....and now CAR has given Teddy permission to seek a trade. Anyone willing to pay 18M this year and 21M next year for his services? If not CAR is on the hook for up to $10M of this year's salary, so someone could get a super cheap QB if they are willing to be patient.

I guess that means they are not looking at QB competition, the job is Sam's. This offseason has been absolutely bonkers.

Good trade for both sides

(This post was last modified: 04-06-2021, 11:19 AM by HURRICANE!!!.)

(04-05-2021, 04:12 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Lol at the Panthers message board.  Most hate the trade but the are just happy to have someone other than Bridgewater lol.  Oh the days of the Teddy fans on this board that thought he was the next Manning  and the 2nd best prospect in years behind Luck lol

(04-05-2021, 05:01 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: It's always nice to see another fan board writhe in misery other than the Jags..

Lol .... we draft Bortles #3. which was probably just as bad, if not worse, than Bridgewater.   It's not like we landed Khalil Mack at #5 or Aaron Donald at #13.  I remember a lot of posters wanting Khalil Mack at that time.

(04-05-2021, 06:23 PM)Bullseye Wrote: The mock now looks something like this:

1.  Jaguars:  Trevor Lawrence
2.  Jets:  Zack Wilson
3.  49ers:  Jones or Fields
4.  Atlanta:  Fields or Pitts
5.  Bengals:  Sewell, Pitts, or Chase
6.  Miami:  Chase, Pitts, Sewell
7.  Lions:  Chase, Waddle, or Parsons
8.  Panthers:  Sewell, Waddle, Smith, or Slater
9.  Denver:  Lance, Fields, Slater, or Surtain
10.  Dallas:  Surtain, Horn, Slater
11.  N.Y. Giants:  D. Smith, Waddle, Parsons
12.  Eagles:  Slater, Darrisaw, D, Smith, J. Waddle, Horn

Oddly enough, this indicates that if SF doesn't select Mac Jones at #3, then he slips out of the top 12 so they could have ultimately selected him at their original draft position (#12).  That's why I think they go Fields.

(04-06-2021, 09:29 AM)Mikey Wrote: ....and now CAR has given Teddy permission to seek a trade. Anyone willing to pay 18M this year and 21M next year for his services? If not CAR is on the hook for up to $10M of this year's salary, so someone could get a super cheap QB if they are willing to be patient.

I guess that means they are not looking at QB competition, the job is Sam's. This offseason has been absolutely bonkers.

One possibility that comes to mind is new Broncos GM George Paton is given permission by the Panthers to talk to Teddy Bridgewater and his agent.  For the purpose of seeing they can work out a more salary cap friendly contract as part of a trade.  

Paton worked under Vikings GM Rick Spielman when Bridgewater was drafted by them at the end of Round 1 in 2014. Paton clearly has reservations about Drew Lock, who Paton inherited.  Bridgewater would hence be the Broncos short term QB, as they look for long term options that wouldn't cost them loads of draft capital. 

It seems realistically possible the Broncos can get a mid Round pick in a trade for Lock because he is under contract through the 2022 season. With Lock's salary cap cost being minimal for a team that would trade for him.

Just like the bears traded for Mike Glennon the same year they drafted Mitch Trubisky...The Darnold trade means nothing. He will start a few games until the rookie is ready.

I remember a lot of people wanting Bridgewater. Called that one from day 1. His arm strength is awful.

(This post was last modified: 04-06-2021, 07:45 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(04-06-2021, 11:14 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(04-05-2021, 04:12 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Lol at the Panthers message board.  Most hate the trade but the are just happy to have someone other than Bridgewater lol.  Oh the days of the Teddy fans on this board that thought he was the next Manning  and the 2nd best prospect in years behind Luck lol

(04-05-2021, 05:01 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: It's always nice to see another fan board writhe in misery other than the Jags..

Lol .... we draft Bortles #3. which was probably just as bad, if not worse, than Bridgewater.   It's not like we landed Khalil Mack at #5 or Aaron Donald at #13.  I remember a lot of posters wanting Khalil Mack at that time.

Oddly enough, this indicates that if SF doesn't select Mac Jones at #3, then he slips out of the top 12 so they could have ultimately selected him at their original draft position (#12).  That's why I think they go Fields.
I dont remember anyone wanting Bortles.  Some on here wanted to tank for Teddy and thought he was the next Manning, one of the worst prospect comparison ever on this board lol.   Dude has one of the weakest arms in the history of the league and was never good.  With that said,, Bortles has thrown 35 TDs in a season, multiple other 20+ TD seasons.  Bridgewater has never thrown more than 15 TDs in a season

(04-06-2021, 11:14 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:

Assuming my mock accurately reflects the thoughts and priorities of the teams in question, that would be correct.

Sadly for me and those of you who read my posts, my mocks don't always reflect what the franchises are thinking.

I don't think Jones is worth a top 3 pick in this draft.

Untimately he may grow to be a fantastic NFL QB, but I do not perceive him as a top 3 pick.

(04-06-2021, 07:42 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(04-06-2021, 11:14 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Lol .... we draft Bortles #3. which was probably just as bad, if not worse, than Bridgewater.   It's not like we landed Khalil Mack at #5 or Aaron Donald at #13.  I remember a lot of posters wanting Khalil Mack at that time.

I dont remember anyone wanting Bortles.  Some on here wanted to tank for Teddy and thought he was the next Manning, one of the worst prospect comparison ever on this board lol.   Dude has one of the weakest arms in the history of the league and was never good.  With that said,, Bortles has thrown 35 TDs in a season, multiple other 20+ TD seasons.  Bridgewater has never thrown more than 15 TDs in a season

I was among those wanting Bridgewater.  I did not compare him to Manning, though I thought he had a good football mind.  I backed off that when I heard of his combine performance when he couldn't throw the football without gloves and left scouts questioning his arm strength.  But all of the talk from analysts before the scouting combine had him as the top QB prospect. 

Yes I was spectacularly wrong, but advocating that a QB hungry team like ours take a person widely touted as the best QB in a draft class is understandable.

(This post was last modified: 04-06-2021, 08:51 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(04-06-2021, 08:38 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(04-06-2021, 07:42 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I dont remember anyone wanting Bortles.  Some on here wanted to tank for Teddy and thought he was the next Manning, one of the worst prospect comparison ever on this board lol.   Dude has one of the weakest arms in the history of the league and was never good.  With that said,, Bortles has thrown 35 TDs in a season, multiple other 20+ TD seasons.  Bridgewater has never thrown more than 15 TDs in a season

I was among those wanting Bridgewater.  I did not compare him to Manning, though I thought he had a good football mind.  I backed off that when I heard of his combine performance when he couldn't throw the football without gloves and left scouts questioning his arm strength.  But all of the talk from analysts before the scouting combine had him as the top QB prospect. 

Yes I was spectacularly wrong, but advocating that a QB hungry team like ours take a person widely touted as the best QB in a draft class is understandable.

Not all of the anaylist, there were a few.  Matt Miller was one and Upper believed everything that he posted for a while until he finally realized he was wrong on almost everyone of his player evaluations.  I mean he went 32nd in the draft, the QB we missed in was Carr if we wanted a QB and he was the QB we coached at the Senior Bowl.  That staff still might have a job if they took Carr. Once again though, just because you are a team hungry for a QB doesn't mean you should reach for one and pass up great players at other positions

(04-06-2021, 08:50 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(04-06-2021, 08:38 PM)Bullseye Wrote: I was among those wanting Bridgewater.  I did not compare him to Manning, though I thought he had a good football mind.  I backed off that when I heard of his combine performance when he couldn't throw the football without gloves and left scouts questioning his arm strength.  But all of the talk from analysts before the scouting combine had him as the top QB prospect. 

Not all of the anaylist, there were a few.  Matt Miller was one and Upper believed everything that he posted for a while until he finally realized he was wrong on almost everyone of his player evaluations.  I mean he went 32nd in the draft, the QB we missed in was Carr if we wanted a QB and he was the QB we coached at the Senior Bowl.  That staff still might have a job if they took Carr.  Once again though, just because you are a team hungry for a QB doesn't mean you should reach for one and pass up great players at other positions

Welp...it was far from the first time I was wrong about a player, and sad to say it won't be the last.

As long as I'm not wrong about Trevor Lawrence, I'll be okay.

(This post was last modified: 04-06-2021, 09:45 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(04-06-2021, 09:38 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(04-06-2021, 08:50 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Not all of the anaylist, there were a few.  Matt Miller was one and Upper believed everything that he posted for a while until he finally realized he was wrong on almost everyone of his player evaluations.  I mean he went 32nd in the draft, the QB we missed in was Carr if we wanted a QB and he was the QB we coached at the Senior Bowl.  That staff still might have a job if they took Carr.  Once again though, just because you are a team hungry for a QB doesn't mean you should reach for one and pass up great players at other positions

Welp...it was far from the first time I was wrong about a player, and sad to say it won't be the last.

Everybody's been wrong before but to want to tank for a journeyman QB with one of the weakest weak arms who was over drafted and went at the last pick in the first round is comical.  Not to mention the Manning and Montana comparisons  lol.   That's other level type [BLEEP]

(04-06-2021, 09:44 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(04-06-2021, 09:38 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Welp...it was far from the first time I was wrong about a player, and sad to say it won't be the last.

Everybody's been wrong before but to want to tank for a journeyman QB with one of the weakest weak arms who was over drafted and went at the last pick in the first round is comical.  Not to mention the Manning and Montana comparisons  lol.   That's other level type [BLEEP]
Is that worse than saying Tebow would have been a HOF QB even after watching Tebow play? Or saying Minshew is a better QB than Watson?

I think it’s one thing to miss on players before they reach the NFL. It’s another thing to make disastrous claims after watching them play in the NFL.

(04-06-2021, 09:50 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(04-06-2021, 09:44 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Everybody's been wrong before but to want to tank for a journeyman QB with one of the weakest weak arms who was over drafted and went at the last pick in the first round is comical.  Not to mention the Manning and Montana comparisons  lol.   That's other level type [BLEEP]
Is that worse than saying Tebow would have been a HOF QB even after watching Tebow play? Or saying Minshew is a better QB than Watson?

I think it’s one thing to miss on players before they reach the NFL. It’s another thing to make disastrous claims after watching them play in the NFL.

Dude couldn't hold Tebow's jock strap.  With that said, never did I want to tank for Tebow nor did I say he was Manning or Montana.  Even though he was putting up better numbers than Elway in their first year as a starter and helped lead his team to the playoffs and won a playoff game.

(This post was last modified: 04-06-2021, 10:51 PM by Bullseye.)

(04-06-2021, 10:02 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(04-06-2021, 09:50 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Is that worse than saying Tebow would have been a HOF QB even after watching Tebow play? Or saying Minshew is a better QB than Watson?

Dude couldn't hold Tebow's jock strap.  With that said, never did I want to tank for Tebow nor did I say he was Manning or Montana.  Even though he was putting up better numbers than Elway in their first year as a starter and helped lead his team to the playoffs and won a playoff game.

You kidding?

Bridgewater is still in the league.

Tebow has long since vanished from the league.

Bridgewater has made a Pro Bowl.  Tebow has not.

Bridgewater has a career completion percentage of 66.5%, almost 20 points higher than Tebow's 47.9%.

I don't want to hear about dink and dunk, either.  He has a higher y/a than Tebow, too.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/p...idTe00.htm

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/p...boTi00.htm

Bridgewater didn't become the QB many people thought he would.  But to say he couldn't hold Tebow's jock is a spectacular misrepresentation of their comparative NFL performances, akin to Gator homerism run amok.