Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
How Would you like these first 4 rounds?

(This post was last modified: 04-24-2021, 11:17 PM by Bullseye.)

Did a sim mock draft with Pro Football Network and it produced these picks over the first four rounds:

1.  Trevor Lawrence
25.  Teven Jenkins
33.  Trey Smith
45.  Carlos Basham Jr
65.  Hamsah Nasrildeen
106.  Tommy Tremble
130.  Jaelon Darden

I don't know about you, but I would be deliriously happy with this.

We'd get our QB, and immediately provide him with upgrades at RT and RG, giving us a dominant run blocking right side.  Then we'd get a 3-4 DE good pass rusher, a solid safety, then back to offense with the TE we need and the speed at WR.

It would potentially provide six first year starters, or would at least provide starters by year 2.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I’m in. Don’t know much about Smith but I like the rest

(04-24-2021, 11:27 PM)JNev Wrote: I’m in. Don’t know much about Smith but I like the rest

Watch the LG for Tennessee #73.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VP7Ub12l-zg

(This post was last modified: 04-25-2021, 12:05 AM by Upper.)

Starts good, ends good. Really don't like the Smith/Basham/Nasir picks. There are going to be dozens of better players available at 33. Basham is good but he's a pure 4-3 DE he's too big to be a 3-4 OLB and too small to be a 3-4 DE. Would be a good pick for a lot of other teams in that range. Nasir I just don't like at all.

(04-25-2021, 12:04 AM)Upper Wrote: Starts good, ends good. Really don't like the Smith/Basham/Nasir picks. There are going to be dozens of better players available at 33. Basham is good but he's a pure 4-3 DE he's too big to be a 3-4 OLB and too small to be a 3-4 DE. Would be a good pick for a lot of other teams in that range. Nasir I just don't like at all.

Do you not like Smith, or just not at 33?

If you don't like him as a player, why not?

I guess I'd be fine with him at 65 or so, he's probably IOL7 or something for me. You'd really take him over Dickerson, Humphrey, or even Meinerz?

That would be as close to perfect as we could get. I just don't see Jenkins or Basham falling that far.

(04-25-2021, 12:04 AM)Upper Wrote: Starts good, ends good. Really don't like the Smith/Basham/Nasir picks. There are going to be dozens of better players available at 33. Basham is good but he's a pure 4-3 DE he's too big to be a 3-4 OLB and too small to be a 3-4 DE. Would be a good pick for a lot of other teams in that range. Nasir I just don't like at all.

Basham is 6'3" 275. Aaron Donald is 6'1" 280 and he's dominant. Are you saying Donald is too small for his position? Are you saying Basham can't add a measley 10-15 lbs, which would put him in the ideal range to be a 3-4 DE? I certainly believe he can be a great 3-4 DE.

Oh yeah why can't he just put on 15 lbs and be the next Aaron Donald what was I thinking?

(04-25-2021, 12:30 AM)Upper Wrote: I guess I'd be fine with him at 65 or so, he's probably IOL7 or something for me. You'd really take him over Dickerson, Humphrey, or even Meinerz?

Over Dickerson, es, because of health.  Granted I'm no doctor, nor have I read the medical reports, but it's my understanding Dickerson has already had some nine surgeries.  The only health issue I've heard about Smith is the blood clots.

Humphrey and Meinerz are tougher calls.  I would give the edge to Smith over Meinerz due to level of competition.  Granted, Meinerz was dominant at the Senior Bowl, but Smith played well that week, too.  I would be happy with either guy.

Humphrey might get the edge over him because he doesn't (at least to my knowledge) have the health issues of Dickerson or the level of competition issues of Meinerz.  IIRC, he also has experience wrestling, so he has an understanding of leverage.  The one negative I have heard associated with Humphrey is, of all things, him being left handed, which impacts how the QB takes the snap from him.

(04-25-2021, 08:22 AM)Upper Wrote: Oh yeah why can't he just put on 15 lbs and be the next Aaron Donald what was I thinking?

Quit being dramatic. I never said he was gonna be Aaron Donald. You said he was too small to play 3-4 DE and Donald is basically the same size and plays that position at a high level, so there is no reason to think Basham can't be good. Rookie O-Line and D-Line players typically gain weight in their first year as they begin to hit the weights and get with team trainers and nutritionists. Having Basham gain 10-15 lbs. before the season is in no way a big deal.

(04-25-2021, 01:19 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:

Basham is 6'3" 275. Aaron Donald is 6'1" 280 and he's dominant. Are you saying Donald is too small for his position? Are you saying Basham can't add a measley 10-15 lbs, which would put him in the ideal range to be a 3-4 DE? I certainly believe he can be a great 3-4 DE.
I get his concerns about size.

Donald is an aberrration.  He's so quick, he can function well in either a 3-4 or 4-3.  Basham could carry another 5-10 lbs easily and still be a good player in a 3-4.  But 280 is about the absolute smallest I would want a 3-4 DL to be, and a 3-4 DL that small would have to have other special attributes to compensate.

(04-25-2021, 09:15 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(04-25-2021, 08:22 AM)Upper Wrote: Oh yeah why can't he just put on 15 lbs and be the next Aaron Donald what was I thinking?

Quit being dramatic. I never said he was gonna be Aaron Donald. You said he was too small to play 3-4 DE and Donald is basically the same size and plays that position at a high level, so there is no reason to think Basham can't be good. Rookie O-Line and D-Line players typically gain weight in their first year as they begin to hit the weights and get with team trainers and nutritionists. Having Basham gain 10-15 lbs. before the season is in no way a big deal.

Or just draft any of the myriad of other equally talented players who won't have nearly the same scheme fit concerns imo.

(This post was last modified: 04-25-2021, 10:42 AM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(04-25-2021, 09:29 AM)Upper Wrote:
(04-25-2021, 09:15 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Quit being dramatic. I never said he was gonna be Aaron Donald. You said he was too small to play 3-4 DE and Donald is basically the same size and plays that position at a high level, so there is no reason to think Basham can't be good. Rookie O-Line and D-Line players typically gain weight in their first year as they begin to hit the weights and get with team trainers and nutritionists. Having Basham gain 10-15 lbs. before the season is in no way a big deal.

Or just draft any of the myriad of other equally talented players who won't have nearly the same scheme fit concerns imo.

I don't see him as a scheme fit concern at all and I see him as an elite player in this draft.

(04-25-2021, 10:41 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(04-25-2021, 09:29 AM)Upper Wrote: Or just draft any of the myriad of other equally talented players who won't have nearly the same scheme fit concerns imo.

I don't see him as a scheme fit concern at all and I see him as an elite player in this draft.

I would have minimal concerns about his size, but I could see him as a situational pass rusher as a 3-4 DE.

That's unusual.

Usually, the edge rusher in a 3-4 would be an OLB.  I think Basham could provide edge rusher ability from a 3-4 down end.  Pairing him up with a healthy Josh Allen from the left side would lead to a bunch of mismatches on passing downs.  Either a RT takes on Basham, which leaves Allen against a TE or a RB, or the RT blocks Allen, which leaves Basham against a G, that may not have the athleticism to get to him if he attacks a technique further outside.

The draft is okay, but I don't think Smith is worth that high of a pick. Also not sold on Tremble. I think the best TE's in this draft are Pitts (by a longshot), Friermuth and Brevin Jordan.

(04-24-2021, 11:54 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(04-24-2021, 11:27 PM)JNev Wrote: I’m in. Don’t know much about Smith but I like the rest

Watch the LG for Tennessee #73.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VP7Ub12l-zg

This was from 2019 and that was Jevon Kinlaw that Smith was man handling there in that video for most of that game. DANG!
LOVE THEM JAGUARS!