Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Aaron Rodgers tells Packers he doesn't want to return

(05-07-2021, 01:13 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(05-07-2021, 12:29 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: If he's a mature adult, he knows that his replacement is due to be acquired soon. If anything, it should motivate him to keep his edge a little longer. I've never agreed with the philosophy that the FO has to consult or inform players of their intentions to acquire other talent. He's an employee, not an executive.

He's not even close with his own family.

Hey I totally agree... just saying... when you know for a fact you have an employee that is head and shoulders better than all the other employees you have or have access to... and he's a diva... you at least tell him you're drafting a QB. Make that the first call right before you call Jordan.

Like I said, I agree with you, Rodgers is awful... but good business is knowing your employees.
Oh they know their employees that is why their drafts have been perplexing.

Franchises are crazy when they don't have to look for a QB. They end up not appreciating what they have.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(05-07-2021, 09:02 AM)RicoTx Wrote:
(05-06-2021, 06:42 PM)Sneakers Wrote: I think drafting Jordan Love last year was the tipping point.  Taking another QB in the first round isn't the way to tell a guy you're committed to keeping him and you sacrifice the opportunity to upgrade another position.

If that's the tipping point, I don't get it.  The Packers drafted him while Favre was still the starter.  What's wrong with grooming a replacement?
There's nothing wrong with bringing in a possible future replacement and I'm sure Rodgers understands that.  The timing was the issue.  They had just come off a 13-3 season and went to the NFC championship game, a performance they repeated in 2020, losing to Tampa, 31-26.  They were arguably a player away from winning it all.  The Jordan Love pick did nothing to help the team, whereas it could have been used to improve another position that might have made the difference.

From his perspective (which I agree with) taking a QB in the first was a wasted pick.  I haven't gone back to that timeframe on the Packer's message board, but I can't imagine the fans were very supportive of the move either.
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

(This post was last modified: 05-10-2021, 09:26 AM by Mikey.)

(05-07-2021, 09:02 AM)RicoTx Wrote:
(05-06-2021, 06:42 PM)Sneakers Wrote: I think drafting Jordan Love last year was the tipping point.  Taking another QB in the first round isn't the way to tell a guy you're committed to keeping him and you sacrifice the opportunity to upgrade another position.

If that's the tipping point, I don't get it.  The Packers drafted him while Favre was still the starter.  What's wrong with grooming a replacement?

Nobody wants to face their expiration date.

(05-07-2021, 11:32 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(05-07-2021, 09:35 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Rodgers is getting to be a football old man. Reality shouldn’t be difficult for him to grasp. He needs to stop acting like a teenage drama queen.

You're right... but the Packers should have let him know what they were doing. Bad business decision to keep your star employee completely out of the loop.

I'd be interested to hear why you think that.

What would be the benefit of telling an egoist (and let's face it, franchise QBs all come with some level of ego) that you are planning for a future that doesn't involve them?

(This post was last modified: 05-10-2021, 11:45 AM by RicoTx.)

(05-10-2021, 09:23 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(05-07-2021, 09:02 AM)RicoTx Wrote: If that's the tipping point, I don't get it.  The Packers drafted him while Favre was still the starter.  What's wrong with grooming a replacement?

Nobody wants to face their expiration date.

(05-07-2021, 11:32 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: You're right... but the Packers should have let him know what they were doing. Bad business decision to keep your star employee completely out of the loop.

What would be the benefit of telling an egoist (and let's face it, franchise QBs all come with some level of ego) that you are planning for a future that doesn't involve them?

My point is that I don't remember Favre being a whiny baby about it.

Hey, I get it.  It's a new age of athletes.  If you hold your breath and stomp your feet long enough...you'll get your way.  It's happening more and more.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(05-10-2021, 11:24 AM)RicoTx Wrote:
(05-10-2021, 09:23 AM)Mikey Wrote: Nobody wants to face their expiration date.

My point is that I don't remember Favre being a whiny baby about it.

Hey, I get it.  It's a new age of athletes.  If you hold your breath and stomp your feet long enough...you'll get your way.  It's happening more and more.

He was not happy

Despite an icy relationship with Rodgers when the Packers’ 2005 first-round pick first arrived in Green Bay, Favre has developed a strong friendship with his successor. Through many conversations, Favre would have a strong understanding of what makes Rodgers tick as a man and a football player. And he’d certainly know a thing or two about grudges, although it’s worth noting here that Favre and Rodgers eventually buried the hatchet and became friends.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news/bre...uxbndlbing
The Khan Years

Aaron is 37 years old, it was time for Green Bay to start looking for his replacement. The Packers are a pro football organization so I don’t see what the problem is.

Their job is to draft football players. They did that before they drafted Aaron and they will do it long after.

Not sure why Aaron is acting hurt. Maybe because he fell so hard on draft day.

Aaron, you’re a zillionaire, go enjoy your money and your life. Go buy a garage and some cars and build some hot rods. Go parasailing, go do a little tv or some radio. Go start a nascar team.

Nobody owes you anything my man.

(This post was last modified: 05-25-2021, 07:44 PM by JagFan81.)

I see Rodgers didnt turn up for Packers OTA's today but did give Sportscenter an interview. Now OTA'S are voluntary so not neccessarily a big deal but he did give a few cryptic answers.

'An incredible 16 years in Green Bay'
'Winning MVP threw a wrench in it'
'Its not about Jordan Love, it's about doing things the right way'

With Rodgers cap hit I just cant see them moving him but Rodgers may be a big enough talent and rich enough to not turn up. Not sure how this one is going to play out.

The President/CEO of the Packers has just came out and said that the current situation with Aaron has divided the Packers fanbase. I have heard some reports that fans on local radio stations are calling and voicing their displeasure about him and how he's handling this situation with the organization. He still hasn't shown up yet and I have heard about Jordan and the Packers offense struggling in OTA's in his absence. I definitely wonder how things will continue to play out here in this situation. The trade talk for him has quelled a little, but maybe it will pick back up again:

https://www.nfl.com/news/packers-preside...witter_atn

Packers lose either way. They have not drafted well.
The Khan Years

(This post was last modified: 06-07-2021, 10:50 PM by mal234.)

People are now saying that they don't think that Aaron will show up to the Packers mandatory minicamp that starts tomorrow. It's three days and if he's a no show they could fine him. If they decide to fine him, they couldn't rescind the fines. They could opt not to fine him, but I wonder what they will end up doing. If they do fine him, it could definitely make their current relationship with him even more tense. 

Albert Breer was reporting he could be be fined over $90,000 if he doesn't show up to minicamp. He also said that Aaron Rodgers walked away from $500,000 in bonus money that he would have earned had he showed up to the volunteer OTAs that the Packers just had. I wonder how much money Aaron is willing to possibly lose in this standstill against the Packers.

(06-07-2021, 10:48 PM)mal234 Wrote: People are now saying that they don't think that Aaron will show up to the Packers mandatory minicamp that starts tomorrow. It's three days and if he's a no show they could fine him. If they decide to fine him, they couldn't rescind the fines. They could opt not to fine him, but I wonder what they will end up doing. If they do fine him, it could definitely make their current relationship with him even more tense. 

Albert Breer was reporting he could be be fined over $90,000 if he doesn't show up to minicamp. He also said that Aaron Rodgers walked away from $500,000 in bonus money that he would have earned had he showed up to the volunteer OTAs that the Packers just had. I wonder how much money Aaron is willing to possibly lose in this standstill against the Packers.

It will be interesting to see.

Wonder if the Packers will go the 'Coughlin' route on fines Big Grin

(06-07-2021, 10:48 PM)mal234 Wrote: People are now saying that they don't think that Aaron will show up to the Packers mandatory minicamp that starts tomorrow. It's three days and if he's a no show they could fine him. If they decide to fine him, they couldn't rescind the fines. They could opt not to fine him, but I wonder what they will end up doing. If they do fine him, it could definitely make their current relationship with him even more tense. 

my prediction is they end up signing some contract extension, and whatever fines incurred will be included or vastly offset by the up-front money they pay to keep him going for another year or two.

The problem is they need to poo or get off the pot on Love - if they don't at least give him a shot, they have completely wasted the darft capital to get him. At this rate, there's nobody that will trade anything of substance for him, and I feel that the fanbase is much more in favor of doing whatever it takes to keep Rodgers happy and playing for the pack. The GM has really botched this whole thing, and he's probably a dead man walking regardless of how this plays out.

Rodgers to the Texans for Watson sounds like an intriguing deal. Would it be a straight up trade?

Texans are rebuilding. I would not think rodgers would want that and jags fans most definitely would not want that

(06-09-2021, 06:47 PM)Jag88 Wrote: Texans are rebuilding. I would not think rodgers would want that and jags fans most definitely would not want that

Fine by me.  Darn Tacks are the current and midterm problem for us.
The Khan Years