Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
4 scouts fired

(05-06-2021, 10:26 AM)SamusAranX Wrote:
(05-06-2021, 10:20 AM)Bullseye Wrote: Why do you assume this?'

Because some here have been dead set against Meyer since the moment he was hired. Giving a coach a couple seasons or more to prove himself is so uncool ya know?

Yes, this whole thread isn't about firing scouts which is completely normal. It's about how bad Meyer is.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(05-06-2021, 09:53 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(05-06-2021, 09:51 AM)Dimson Wrote: He will bring in his guys. Just like he did in college. You think he went out and scouted all those players on his own? I think not.

I think he drafted these guys based on his own interactions with them during his college career and when he was recruiting players. He basically said as much. He said he selected Luke Farrell, because he knew he knew him and his family and he was a good guy.

He also said they put in 15 hours a day setting up the draft board. It didn't take 15 hours a day to evaluate players he knew and coached. So my take is he was not happy with the scouting departments evaluation of the college players they recommended, that is the reason for the firing some scouting department personal. The drafting of players over the years has been less then Stella and I think most fans welcome new blood in the department.

New GMs typically make changes to their staff after the draft. There's nothing unusual about this at all.

(This post was last modified: 05-06-2021, 10:52 AM by Bullseye.)

(05-06-2021, 10:24 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(05-06-2021, 10:20 AM)Bullseye Wrote: Why do you assume this?'

Almost all of his draft picks were guys he was familiar with while coaching. Most were guys he recruited. Farrell was drafted because Meyer knew him and thought he was "a nice guy." Apparently, not because of his abilities. That was a comment made by Meyer. It's pretty evident.

UM has stated a preference for getting to know a person before he commits to them as a player.  That was clear during free agency.  He expressed dismay over not being able to talk to people before signing them.  I can't say I blame him.  He has been emphatic that we get the picks right throughout this process.  It stands to reason he would rely on his own experiences with the players in the absence of being able to interview players this offseason.

But to go the extra leap and suggest he accepted ZERO input from his scouts is too far.  UM stated he knew Farrell and his family.  Yet he didn't draft him above Trevor Lawrence, Travis Etienne or Tyson Campbell or even Jay Tufele.  Why not?  If it's solely about how well he knew the players through previous interactions, and nothing to do with the comparative talent between the players, why wasn't Farrell taken before these guys?

UMs own interactions might have been the tiebreaker between one candidate and the next, but I don't buy the idea he completely disregarded scouts.  He himself seemingly cringed at the idea of any schism between coaching and scouting.

(05-06-2021, 10:47 AM)scottyg Wrote: New GMs typically make changes to their staff after the draft.  There's nothing unusual about this at all.

Exactly.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(05-06-2021, 10:44 AM)dennisp3 Wrote:
(05-06-2021, 09:53 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I think he drafted these guys based on his own interactions with them during his college career and when he was recruiting players. He basically said as much. He said he selected Luke Farrell, because he knew he knew him and his family and he was a good guy.

He also said they put in 15 hours a day setting up the draft board. It didn't take 15 hours a day to evaluate players he knew and coached. So my take is he was not happy with the scouting departments evaluation of the college players they recommended, that is the reason for the firing some scouting department personal. The drafting of players over the years has been less then Stella and I think most fans welcome new blood in the department.

Baalke and UM, as the new decision makers, wanted their guys in the scouting department. He may not have been happy with the incumbents.  But moves like this happen every time there is a change in a GM at a team.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(This post was last modified: 05-06-2021, 12:37 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(05-06-2021, 10:51 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(05-06-2021, 10:24 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Almost all of his draft picks were guys he was familiar with while coaching. Most were guys he recruited. Farrell was drafted because Meyer knew him and thought he was "a nice guy." Apparently, not because of his abilities. That was a comment made by Meyer. It's pretty evident.

UM has stated a preference for getting to know a person before he commits to them as a player.  That was clear during free agency.  He expressed dismay over not being able to talk to people before signing them.  I can't say I blame him.  He has been emphatic that we get the picks right throughout this process.  It stands to reason he would rely on his own experiences with the players in the absence of being able to interview players this offseason.

But to go the extra leap and suggest he accepted ZERO input from his scouts is too far.  UM stated he knew Farrell and his family.  Yet he didn't draft him above Trevor Lawrence, Travis Etienne or Tyson Campbell or even Jay Tufele.  Why not?  If it's solely about how well he knew the players through previous interactions, and nothing to do with the comparative talent between the players, why wasn't Farrell taken before these guys?

UMs own interactions might have been the tiebreaker between one candidate and the next, but I don't buy the idea he completely disregarded scouts.  He himself seemingly cringed at the idea of any schism between coaching and scouting.

I'm not saying he took zero input from the scouts. I'm suggesting he simply disregarded much of what they said, because he already had his mind made up about guys he was familiar with.

Why did Meyer choose Etienne, Campbell and Tufele over Farrell? It's simple. Meyer knew Etienne via the college playoffs. He knew he was a far superior player. The same goes for Tyson Campbell and Jay Tufele. Both were recruited by Urban Meyer at Ohio State. He had an intimate knowledge of these guys and wanted them very much, because he knew they were good players. They just chose other schools. That's why he chose them before Farrell. He knew them all and they were simply better players. As far as Farrell, there were still two full rounds in the draft that were left and far, far, far better players at a variety of positions that were left on the board when he was taken. We already signed one of the best blocking TE's in the NFL in free agency and that was not a need at all. He certainly wasn't the BAP and it certainly wasn't a need, so Meyer took him based solely out of familiarity and that was stupid. Based on what we already had and what we needed, no scout in their right mind would've recommended taking Farrell in round 5. That was all on Meyer.

(05-06-2021, 12:36 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(05-06-2021, 10:51 AM)Bullseye Wrote: UM has stated a preference for getting to know a person before he commits to them as a player.  That was clear during free agency.  He expressed dismay over not being able to talk to people before signing them.  I can't say I blame him.  He has been emphatic that we get the picks right throughout this process.  It stands to reason he would rely on his own experiences with the players in the absence of being able to interview players this offseason.

I'm not saying he took zero input from the scouts. I'm suggesting he simply disregarded much of what they said, because he already had his mind made up about guys he was familiar with.

Why did Meyer choose Etienne, Campbell and Tufele over Farrell? It's simple. Meyer knew Etienne via the college playoffs. He knew he was a far superior player. The same goes for Tyson Campbell and Jay Tufele. Both were recruited by Urban Meyer at Ohio State. He had an intimate knowledge of these guys and wanted them very much, because he knew they were good players. They just chose other schools. That's why he chose them before Farrell. He knew them all and they were simply better players. As far as Farrell, there were still two full rounds in the draft that were left and far, far, far better players at a variety of positions that were left on the board when he was taken. We already signed one of the best blocking TE's in the NFL in free agency and that was not a need at all. He certainly wasn't the BAP and it certainly wasn't a need, so Meyer took him based solely out of familiarity and that was stupid. Based on what we already had and what we needed, no scout in their right mind would've recommended taking Farrell in round 5. That was all on Meyer.
I am going to laugh so loud if Farrell becomes a good player for us. What is Meyer said he was buddies with Trevor? Would that be him selecting Trevor due to his friendship with him?
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

New scouts. New a lot of things. Good

(This post was last modified: 05-06-2021, 03:06 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(05-06-2021, 12:41 PM)Dimson Wrote:
(05-06-2021, 12:36 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I'm not saying he took zero input from the scouts. I'm suggesting he simply disregarded much of what they said, because he already had his mind made up about guys he was familiar with.

I am going to laugh so loud if Farrell becomes a good player for us. What is Meyer said he was buddies with Trevor? Would that be him selecting Trevor due to his friendship with him?

HUGE difference between Trevor Lawrence and Farrell. That's like comparing prime rib to white rice. Friendship or familiarity aside, Trevor Lawrence was the undisputed first pick in this draft. It didn't matter who the head coach was gonna be. Farrell got drafted to this team based solely on Meyer's familiarity with him. He certainly wasn't the BAP at the point he was drafted and we had Manhertz in the exact same role, so blocking TE wasn't a need either. I'm just stating facts. 

The Bills interest in Farrell makes sense for them, because they are a pass heavy team and they are looking to establish the run game. They need a TE who can help out blocking on the outside, so they can finally get their rushing game where it needs to be. They don't have anyone on their roster to fill this role. We already did. It's not a matter of Farrell being the BAP at that point. He would've filled a specific need for the Bills. They have very few needs and this was one. Nobody is saying Farrell isn't a good blocker, he is. He just didn't make sense for our specific team.

(05-06-2021, 03:03 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(05-06-2021, 12:41 PM)Dimson Wrote: I am going to laugh so loud if Farrell becomes a good player for us. What is Meyer said he was buddies with Trevor? Would that be him selecting Trevor due to his friendship with him?

HUGE difference between Trevor Lawrence and Farrell. That's like comparing prime rib to white rice. Friendship or familiarity aside, Trevor Lawrence was the undisputed first pick in this draft. It didn't matter who the head coach was gonna be. Farrell got drafted to this team based solely on Meyer's familiarity with him. He certainly wasn't the BAP at the point he was drafted and we had Manhertz in the exact same role, so blocking TE wasn't a need either. I'm just stating facts. 

The Bills interest in Farrell makes sense for them, because they are a pass heavy team and they are looking to establish the run game. They need a TE who can help out blocking on the outside, so they can finally get their rushing game where it needs to be. They don't have anyone on their roster to fill this role. We already did. It's not a matter of Farrell being the BAP at that point. He would've filled a specific need for the Bills. Nobody is saying Farrell isn't a good blocker, he is. He just didn't make sense for our specific team.
Maybe they drafted him to be our back up blocking TE? Maybe they think he will translate better to the pro game than to college? We will just have to wait and see how everything shakes out.

(05-06-2021, 03:06 PM)Dimson Wrote:
(05-06-2021, 03:03 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: HUGE difference between Trevor Lawrence and Farrell. That's like comparing prime rib to white rice. Friendship or familiarity aside, Trevor Lawrence was the undisputed first pick in this draft. It didn't matter who the head coach was gonna be. Farrell got drafted to this team based solely on Meyer's familiarity with him. He certainly wasn't the BAP at the point he was drafted and we had Manhertz in the exact same role, so blocking TE wasn't a need either. I'm just stating facts. 

The Bills interest in Farrell makes sense for them, because they are a pass heavy team and they are looking to establish the run game. They need a TE who can help out blocking on the outside, so they can finally get their rushing game where it needs to be. They don't have anyone on their roster to fill this role. We already did. It's not a matter of Farrell being the BAP at that point. He would've filled a specific need for the Bills. Nobody is saying Farrell isn't a good blocker, he is. He just didn't make sense for our specific team.
Maybe they drafted him to be our back up blocking TE? Maybe they think he will translate better to the pro game than to college? We will just have to wait and see how everything shakes out.

Who needs 2 blocking TE's when we don't even have one reliable pass catching TE? That doesn't make sense.

(05-06-2021, 03:11 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(05-06-2021, 03:06 PM)Dimson Wrote: Maybe they drafted him to be our back up blocking TE? Maybe they think he will translate better to the pro game than to college? We will just have to wait and see how everything shakes out.

Who needs 2 blocking TE's when we don't even have one reliable pass catching TE? That doesn't make sense.

I keep telling you. Look out for Tyler Davis. I see big things for him if he stays healthy.

(05-06-2021, 03:11 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(05-06-2021, 03:06 PM)Dimson Wrote: Maybe they drafted him to be our back up blocking TE? Maybe they think he will translate better to the pro game than to college? We will just have to wait and see how everything shakes out.

A team that wants to have a power running game and that knows players get injured.

(05-06-2021, 03:19 PM)Dimson Wrote:
(05-06-2021, 03:11 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Who needs 2 blocking TE's when we don't even have one reliable pass catching TE? That doesn't make sense.

I keep telling you. Look out for Tyler Davis. I see big things for him if he stays healthy.

I honestly know very little about Davis. Georgia Tech isn't exactly known as a passing team and he only had 17 catches in 2019. Until he actually shows me on the field, I'm gonna be skeptical.

(05-06-2021, 03:27 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(05-06-2021, 03:19 PM)Dimson Wrote: I keep telling you. Look out for Tyler Davis. I see big things for him if he stays healthy.

I honestly know very little about Davis. Georgia Tech isn't exactly known as a passing team and he only had 17 catches in 2019. Until he actually shows me on the field, I'm gonna be skeptical.

The just switched to the Spread the year he transferred there. So they were terrible. He also played on a terrible UCONN team offense prior to transferring to GT. Just watch his highlights.

You guys mad about firing scouts? Have you looked at our record during their tenure?

(05-06-2021, 03:32 PM)jaglyn Wrote: You guys mad about firing scouts? Have you looked at our record during their tenure?

That is the crazy part. How have they lasted 20 years with our record? lol.

(05-06-2021, 03:32 PM)Dimson Wrote:
(05-06-2021, 03:27 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I honestly know very little about Davis. Georgia Tech isn't exactly known as a passing team and he only had 17 catches in 2019. Until he actually shows me on the field, I'm gonna be skeptical.

The just switched to the Spread the year he transferred there. So they were terrible. He also played on a terrible UCONN team offense prior to transferring to GT. Just watch his highlights.

I don't care about college highlights. I just wanna see what he can do on the field for us. Hopefully he does succeed. That would be one less position to worry about.

(05-06-2021, 03:35 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(05-06-2021, 03:32 PM)Dimson Wrote: The just switched to the Spread the year he transferred there. So they were terrible. He also played on a terrible UCONN team offense prior to transferring to GT. Just watch his highlights.

I don't care about college highlights. I just wanna see what he can do on the field for us. Hopefully he does succeed. That would be one less position to worry about.

My bad. I forgot scouts use pro film to scout college players.

(05-06-2021, 03:36 PM)Dimson Wrote:
(05-06-2021, 03:35 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I don't care about college highlights. I just wanna see what he can do on the field for us. Hopefully he does succeed. That would be one less position to worry about.

My bad. I forgot scouts use pro film to scout college players.

No. Scouts use game film. Not highlights. Highlights only show the good stuff.