Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
4 scouts fired

(05-06-2021, 10:20 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(05-06-2021, 09:49 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: He didn't think he needed them this draft.

Why do you assume this?'

Excellent question, Bullseye.  

They scouting staff was huddled with Baalke and Meyer from the time the two were hired until the end of the draft.  With the franchise going in a new direction, it was inevitable that the scouting staff would see major changes.  Heck, one of the scouts on the payroll had been here from the very beginning.  And the staff that was let go aside from him produced what over the past decade or so?  

The reality is, Meyer and Baalke used the evaluations they were provided for the draft and rookie free agency this year.  Now it's time to start building a new staff with fresh eyes as colleges start to ramp things back up for fall.  This is usually the time when these kind of personnel moves are made, so it wasn't really a surprise to see it happen.

At the end of the day, I don't believe Meyer and Baalke didn't think they needed these guys for this draft.  They had done the evaluations and developed the book on the players we were targeting in the draft.  Their experience and knowledge in scouting these players wasn't going to be done by the new head coach or the GM.  They can't be everywhere.

They are changing the culture inside the stadium, so anyone who thinks these firings were surprising really hasn't been paying attention.  

As far as Meyer being gone in 3-4 years because of these firings, let's get real.  We haven't played a single game or seen the team together as a whole yet.  Writing it off this early is silly, but typical of the folks on here who are doing so.  It's impossible to actually allow a situation to develop.  We've got a busload of wannabe GMs here who always know better in hindsight.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(05-07-2021, 03:51 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(05-07-2021, 05:15 AM)OzJohnnie Wrote: What mystifies me about your posting is that you are dead set certain that the Jags have blown every pick the last 15 years but at the same time it's a tragic mistake for Meyer to make up his own mind on draft picks rather than listen to the scouts who organised all those picks over those 15 years.  It seems that you've reached a spot where the Jags can only lose.  Unless they FA/Draft/Trade an offensive tackle.

Huh? You're new here, so you don't know what I think. If you were here in 2019, I was thrilled with the Josh Allen selection. He was my #1 overall player. Last year I was overjoyed we landed DaVon Hamilton. This year I was absolutely ecstatic we landed Trevor Lawrence. I've been waiting decades for us to have a chance at getting a potential franchise QB. I don't have to like every pick the team makes. I have a problem with Meyer selecting a someone because "he's a nice guy" over being a good football player. That's what he did with Farrell. 

OT has been our biggest need outside of QB, since at least 2013. Do you blame me?

This is true. 

OLine is critical, but does not bash every pick.  As I recall, he was happy with all of the picks he mentioned above, and IIRC, he was thrilled with the 2016 draft.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(This post was last modified: 05-07-2021, 07:22 PM by Bullseye.)

(05-07-2021, 04:00 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(05-07-2021, 10:07 AM)Bullseye Wrote:  (Emphasis added)

The part in bold is confusing, because in your post before this one to which I responded, you typed this:

Why would he draft players according to their abilities before him and ignore abilities afterward?  If you are comfortable the team drafted according to abilities before the Farrell pick, why would you be uncomfortable with any of the picks made before Farrell?

Does being a good person/locker room guy factor into a team's determination as to whether a player is draftable or not?

Is it possible the team eschewed BAP and drafted for need?

Is it possible after the 4th round, UM didn't think there was anyone left with a chance of starting or upgrading a position?

Is it possible they simply ranked him incorrectly?

Is it possible you simply ranked him incorrectly?

Not trying to give you grief, just trying to understand your position.

Simply put, apparently he ran out of good players he was familiar with. So rather than trust his scouts, he chose "a guy" he was familiar with, because he was a "good person."

It plays a small part whether a player is a nice guy or not.

I have no idea. Farrell was neither the BAP or a need.

If he thought that after the 4th round, he hasn't done his job correctly. We were 1-15 last season. We have a lot of bad starters that could've at least been pushed by better players. 

It is possible they ranked him incorrectly. He is a blocking TE. They should never be taken that high, especially when you already have one of the best in the NFL already on the team.

No. It is not possible I ranked him incorrectly. I watched every game he has ever played at OSU. I am very familiar with Farrell.
Well, I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that UM disregarded his scouts.  A few months back, I started a thread cautioning him against that. https://www.duvalpride.com/showthread.ph...pid1369882   But under the circumstances, I'm not sure the drafting of Ferrell, standing alone, is proof that he disregarded his scouts, especially when he spoke out strongly against that very thing in one of the post draft press conferences.

We don't know what those pre draft meetings were like.  We don't have the transcripts of those meetings where they set the boards.  We didn't see the scouts' notes on the various players, as opposed to other players they scouted.  We don't know how Baalke and Meyer set up the boards.

All we know is that our opinions disagreed with what they did with that pick.  I had been screaming for Tennessee OL Trey Smith.  But as disappointed as I was that Ferrell was taken over Smith, I have zero factual or substantive basis to allege Meyer/Baalke ignored the  scouts in making any of their picks.  It's doubtful ANYONE posting on a message board would have that direct knowledge of such dynamics no matter how strongly we feel for or against players selected or not selected.

(05-07-2021, 04:05 PM)FBT Wrote:
(05-06-2021, 10:20 AM)Bullseye Wrote: Why do you assume this?'

Excellent question, Bullseye.  

They scouting staff was huddled with Baalke and Meyer from the time the two were hired until the end of the draft.  With the franchise going in a new direction, it was inevitable that the scouting staff would see major changes.  Heck, one of the scouts on the payroll had been here from the very beginning.  And the staff that was let go aside from him produced what over the past decade or so?  

The reality is, Meyer and Baalke used the evaluations they were provided for the draft and rookie free agency this year.  Now it's time to start building a new staff with fresh eyes as colleges start to ramp things back up for fall.  This is usually the time when these kind of personnel moves are made, so it wasn't really a surprise to see it happen.

At the end of the day, I don't believe Meyer and Baalke didn't think they needed these guys for this draft.  They had done the evaluations and developed the book on the players we were targeting in the draft.  Their experience and knowledge in scouting these players wasn't going to be done by the new head coach or the GM.  They can't be everywhere.

They are changing the culture inside the stadium, so anyone who thinks these firings were surprising really hasn't been paying attention.  

As far as Meyer being gone in 3-4 years because of these firings, let's get real.  We haven't played a single game or seen the team together as a whole yet.  Writing it off this early is silly, but typical of the folks on here who are doing so.  It's impossible to actually allow a situation to develop.  We've got a busload of wannabe GMs here who always know better in hindsight.

Exactly.

In fact you kinda raised another issue.  As involved as UM was in the decision making, as the years progress, he will be less involved in the future simply due to the NFL schedule and what his duties are, especially now with the 17 game schedule.  Unlike the last three years where Meyer was a college analyst, he likely won't have time to look at the college players coming out until after the season is over.  Whatever "advantages" he may have gained by relying on his own experiences this year will evaporate by next year.  Through his interactions with various NFL coaches, he knows the peril of not working with scouts.  He would be cutting his own throat.

(This post was last modified: 05-10-2021, 11:43 AM by HURRICANE!!!.)

(05-06-2021, 09:29 AM)TheDogCatcher Wrote: They had a good run. I’d be interested to know how their styles didn’t mesh with Meyer’s and Baalke’s. Maybe they are blamed for CJ Henderson, Bryan, etc.

66 years combined among 4 people is on average 16.5 years each.  This represents the time period when our drafts started sucking.  I'm not just talking about 1st round picks but moves like trading our future 2nd round pick to grab Derek Cox in the 3rd round.  Also gotta love the 2010 draft picks --- 1 [BLEEP] player from a power 5 school and that school is not even very good in football.

**Position**Name**College**
DT Tyson Alualu California
DT D'Anthony Smith Louisiana Tech
DE Larry Hart Central Arkansas
DE Austen Lane Murray State
RB/KR Deji Karim Southern Illinois
RS/CB Scotty McGee James Madison

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(05-10-2021, 11:37 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(05-06-2021, 09:29 AM)TheDogCatcher Wrote: They had a good run. I’d be interested to know how their styles didn’t mesh with Meyer’s and Baalke’s. Maybe they are blamed for CJ Henderson, Bryan, etc.

66 years combined among 4 people is on average 16.5 years each.  This represents the time period when our drafts started sucking.  I'm not just talking about 1st round picks but moves like trading our future 2nd round pick to grab Derek Cox in the 3rd round.  Also gotta love the 2010 draft picks --- 1 [BLEEP] player from a power 5 school and that school is not even very good in football.

**Position**Name**College**
DT Tyson Alualu California
DT D'Anthony Smith Louisiana Tech
DE Larry Hart Central Arkansas
DE Austen Lane Murray State
RB/KR Deji Karim Southern Illinois
RS/CB Scotty McGee James Madison
Hated that Smith got injured. I thought he was going to be good.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

Reviving the old thread to show the new hires whose very existence were speculated about in these pages.

https://twitter.com/Demetrius82/status/1...46533?s=20

Note Denard Robinson as an assistant college scout. He's come a long way from that retention pond on Beach Blvd.