Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The Spring League

A Spring League game is airing on FS1. Looks like another league trying to take up where the XFL stopped. They call themselves "An elite professional football development league". 

Home - The Spring League

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(05-06-2021, 09:27 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: A Spring League game is airing on FS1. Looks like another league trying to take up where the XFL stopped. They call themselves "An elite professional football development league". 

Home - The Spring League

They've been playing since 2017; it's more like the XFL was trying to take over for them.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(05-07-2021, 06:30 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(05-06-2021, 09:27 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: A Spring League game is airing on FS1. Looks like another league trying to take up where the XFL stopped. They call themselves "An elite professional football development league". 

Home - The Spring League

They've been playing since 2017; it's more like the XFL was trying to take over for them.

Ok. I had never heard of them.

(05-08-2021, 11:27 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(05-07-2021, 06:30 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: They've been playing since 2017; it's more like the XFL was trying to take over for them.

Ok. I had never heard of them.

I enjoyed watching the double header the other night. They are somewhere in quality between mid-major college ball and D1.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Wow ....I've never heard of this before.

Interesting, all the games are played in Indy and Houston (north and south conference).

(05-10-2021, 01:17 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Wow ....I've never heard of this before.

Interesting, all the games are played in Indy and Houston (north and south conference).

Yeah, no pay, just room and board so they negate travel expenses by all playing on the same two fields. The players actually pay to play in the league just for the coaching and exposure.

Anyone watch the USFL game last night? It was actually a good competitive game.

(04-17-2022, 12:13 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Anyone watch the USFL game last night? It was actually a good competitive game.

I totally forgot. I'll have to look up the highlights. I'm glad to hear it was a good game. The NFL needs competition, as much as the USFL can give it anyway, and players who aren't NFL ready or eligible for whatever reason can still play football. If they can actually play solid games and keep interest I think it would be great.

(This post was last modified: 04-17-2022, 10:07 PM by NewJagsCity. Edited 1 time in total.)

College football and the NCAA have been a joke for a long while now when it comes to the 'student/athlete'.  Just establish the USFL as the feeder/D1 league to the NFL and pay them.  Then all of the NIL/corrupt boosters/cars/bags of money can just quietly go away.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

I still say the big play is going to be one of these spring leagues taking on CFB and NIL money - let the kids show up out of high school, no need to "play school" as Cardale Jones once said, and develop your skills before you're eligible for the NFL. The money isn't there for these leagues YET, but if they can find a way to make that work, it might be their best move to garner viewers.

These leagues will never be more than a sideshow if they rely solely on the outcasts of NFL practice squads to fill their rosters.

(04-18-2022, 09:10 AM)Mikey Wrote: I still say the big play is going to be one of these spring leagues taking on CFB and NIL money - let the kids show up out of high school, no need to "play school" as Cardale Jones once said, and develop your skills before you're eligible for the NFL. The money isn't there for these leagues YET, but if they can find a way to make that work, it might be their best move to garner viewers.

These leagues will never be more than a sideshow if they rely solely on the outcasts of NFL practice squads to fill their rosters.

I agree but in order for that to happen the spring leagues will have to incorporate professional physical development programs (nutrition, strength, medical). Unlike other sports, football players aren’t physically mature enough to enter the NFL until at least 3 years out of high school. There are exceptions, but I think that’s a safe estimate. These essential programs will cost teams a lot of money that colleges can afford. Unless they can secure that kind of funding, colleges will continue to be the development league.

(This post was last modified: 04-18-2022, 11:30 AM by HURRICANE!!!.)

(04-17-2022, 12:13 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Anyone watch the USFL game last night? It was actually a good competitive game.

I had it on.  Not too bad.  Waiting for my Pittsburgh Maulers to play tonight.  Devin Gray (WR - Philly Stars) looked really good.  He used to be on the Falcons practice squad.

(04-17-2022, 10:06 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote: College football and the NCAA have been a joke for a long while now when it comes to the 'student/athlete'.  Just establish the USFL as the feeder/D1 league to the NFL and pay them.  Then all of the NIL/corrupt boosters/cars/bags of money can just quietly go away.

I like this idea -- this idea that a Bama QB can make millions while their offensive lineman gets nothing and the Miss State QB gets $1,000 is whacked out.  Couple that with the erratic transfer portal and it's going to be a mess.  The top teams will become more elite while teams below the top 10 have no chance.

Offensive line play is so, so, so bad