Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The Nightmare that is Sports talk radio

(05-17-2021, 07:56 AM)Bullseye Wrote: Perhaps this is me in my "get off my lawn" phase of life, but I listen to sports talk radio because what passes for music these days is really putrid.
^^^^^^ LOL, this.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Why limit bad talk radio to sports.  Bad talk radio and tv news outlets also encompasses blatant lies in politics as well but that's a conversation for the Political Section of this website.

(05-17-2021, 09:00 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Why limit bad talk radio to sports.  Bad talk radio and tv news outlets also encompasses blatant lies in politics as well but that's a conversation for the Political Section of this website
Agreed.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

I honestly feel sorry for some of these talking heads on sports radio. Have you ever listened later in the evening? They talk ad nauseam about a subject because they have too much time to fill. You can hear they’re struggling.

I used to like Petros and Money. Anyone ever listen to that? It could get a little tiresome at times, but Petros was funny.

Rarely, ordinary people are allowed to call in and speak on live air. These radio shows hire voice actors to call in and pretend to be the average person. Anything goes to get ratings and anything can be said to add more fuel to the fire. Tim Tebow alone draws so much attention. They know the love/hate for him. Media loves the divide. Dividing people makes for more engaging talks and better ratings.

I ignore the nonsense being spewed out. I just want to see this team turn around and become great again.

I almost never listen to national sports talk radio, but a couple of minutes got me a good laugh this weekend...

The host was discussing the NFC North, and had a Packers fan on that was trying to argue for his team's chances of winning the division, even with the uncertainty at the QB position with Aaron Rodgers.
It came down to the host asking this, "Do you really think the Packers have a chance of winning the division with Jordan Love?"
Caller's response, "Or with Bortles!"

Pete Prisco is the only sports talk I like. Dan always screams too early in the morning “YESSSS SIRRRRRR!!!!!!”

Processor screams in the mic too much. Ryan the hacker is too high pitch for me. The rest of them are too hard for me to listen to.

(05-17-2021, 01:31 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: Pete Prisco is the only sports talk I like. Dan always screams too early in the morning “YESSSS SIRRRRRR!!!!!!”

Processor screams in the mic too much. Ryan the hacker is too high pitch for me. The rest of them are too hard for me to listen to.

Hacker reminds me of the Will Farrell character on SNL who couldn't control his voice modulation.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 05-17-2021, 03:24 PM by JagFanatic24.)

LOL Smile)

(05-17-2021, 09:00 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Why limit bad talk radio to sports.  Bad talk radio and tv news outlets also encompasses blatant lies in politics as well but that's a conversation for the Political Section of this website.

Truth!

Only thing good in espn is Austen Lane, otherwise i prefer 1010xl which most shows are pretty decent.
[img]blob:https://www.duvalpride.com/1a8a2498-9833-4b7d-8cc7-5e45aa36d9f6[/img][img=648x560]blob:https://www.duvalpride.com/cfd7a344-8206-4fed-a4c4-6536e150b1a7[/img]

You guys are all super harsh. I think the local guys do a pretty good job.

Frankie is a horrific announcer. I honestly believe many local high school announcers that far outshine him. His contrived enthusiasm and pathetic analysis makes me wish for Matt Robinson and, I can’t believe I’m going to say this, Brian Sexton.

Boselli, great football player, the original marblemouth.

Hays Carlyon and Rick Ballou are good.

(05-17-2021, 10:17 PM)Rockman1966 Wrote: Frankie is a horrific announcer.  I honestly believe many local high school announcers that far outshine him. His contrived enthusiasm and pathetic analysis makes me wish for Matt Robinson and, I can’t believe I’m going to say this, Brian Sexton.

Meh. He's not THAT bad. He has certainly improved since he started but Jags could do better. As a sportscaster, he's occasionally decent but can be annoying about certain things like his Gators and Steelers. I like Ballou and McManus ok and Lageman is good when he's on.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(This post was last modified: 05-18-2021, 08:05 AM by flgatorsandjags.)

(05-17-2021, 07:56 AM)Bullseye Wrote: Perhaps this is me in my "get off my lawn" phase of life, but I listen to sports talk radio because what passes for music these days is really putrid.

Fore sure, Kevin Gates is the only new i listen to

(05-17-2021, 10:17 PM)Rockman1966 Wrote: Frankie is a horrific announcer.  I honestly believe many local high school announcers that far outshine him. His contrived enthusiasm and pathetic analysis makes me wish for Matt Robinson and, I can’t believe I’m going to say this, Brian Sexton.

I never had a problem with Sexton.  I never understood why everyone hated this guy so much.  I've lived all over the country and I've heard way worse.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(05-18-2021, 08:22 AM)RicoTx Wrote:

I never had a problem with Sexton.  I never understood why everyone hated this guy so much.  I've lived all over the country and I've heard way worse.

Certainly.

I think the biggest criticism I had for him was one Monday nighter against the Colts, Freeney and Mathis were just obliterating us, and his calls gave the impression that he'd rather be having a root canal than calling this game (couldn't blame him, but it made the broadcast difficult to endure.)

I gave him big time bonus points for repeatedly calling out the Bills for dragging a preseason game to OT one year, though. The sarcasm was tasty.

(05-18-2021, 08:22 AM)RicoTx Wrote:

Sexton has an arrogance about him that tends to rub people the wrong way.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(05-18-2021, 11:20 AM)MarleyJag Wrote:
(05-18-2021, 08:22 AM)RicoTx Wrote: I never had a problem with Sexton.  I never understood why everyone hated this guy so much.  I've lived all over the country and I've heard way worse.

Sexton has an arrogance about him that tends to rub people the wrong way.

He does?  OK.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 05-18-2021, 12:48 PM by Bullseye.)

(05-18-2021, 08:04 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:

Fore sure, Kevin Gates is the only new i listen to

No idea who Gates is.

I grew up on the MTV generation...when they actually played music videos.

I trash them from deviating from that formula.  Adding the stupid shows like Remote Control and the Young Ones and others was akin to having a brand new Mercedes benz and putting in fuzzy dice, bumper stickers and a king pole out the window.

But given the state of music now, I'm not so sure getting away from music videos was the wrong thing.

(05-18-2021, 12:43 PM)RicoTx Wrote:
(05-18-2021, 11:20 AM)MarleyJag Wrote: Sexton has an arrogance about him that tends to rub people the wrong way.

He does?  OK.

I have heard that critique before (don't know where...perhaps on this board) and I don't see it.  Maybe I simphy didn't pick up on it but arrogance isn't what I get from listening to Sexton.

I also don't subscribe fully to the "Frangie as mumbler" critique.

The only problem I've had with Frangie is aside from his Steelers loyalties (He now claims to have abandoned them), he has more caveats and prefases to his points than any lawyer I've known.  Sometimes I want him to just shut up and make his point already.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!