Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The Nightmare that is Sports talk radio

(05-18-2021, 12:44 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(05-18-2021, 08:04 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Fore sure, Kevin Gates is the only new i listen to

No idea who Gates is.

I grew up on the MTV generation...when they actually played music videos.

I trash them from deviating from that formula.  Adding the stupid shows like Remote Control and the Young Ones and others was akin to having a brand new Mercedes benz and putting in fuzzy dice, bumper stickers and a king pole out the window.

But given the state of music now, I'm not so sure getting away from music videos was the wrong thing.

(05-18-2021, 12:43 PM)RicoTx Wrote: He does?  OK.

I have heard that critique before (don't know where...perhaps on this board) and I don't see it.  Maybe I simphy didn't pick up on it but arrogance isn't what I get from listening to Sexton.

I also don't subscribe fully to the "Frangie as mumbler" critique.

The only problem I've had with Frangie is aside from his Steelers loyalties (He now claims to have abandoned them), he has more caveats and prefases to his points than any lawyer I've known.  Sometimes I want him to just shut up and make his point already.

Quoting an Oldie but a Goodie from back in the day:

"Look, it was, without a doubt, and I'm sure you understand, but really, I honestly think, that, no matter what anyone else says, and this is just my opinion obviously, but it was just a phenomenal and I...mean...phe...no...men...al time for those of us who had, and by those of us I mean people all around the Frangie house at, you know, Jax Golf and Country Club where I live, the course is in the best shape I've ever seen I tell you, and Ballou I'll let you speak on this in a minute, but just hear me here, it was the most, and I do mean most, difficult decision my wife has ever made for me when we decided to put my mom in a home."
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(05-16-2021, 08:09 PM)Bullseye Wrote: I made a short trip to the corner store, and I had the misfortune of having my radio tuned to sports talk.

On the way back, I came in on a caller who was a Tebow cultist, saying how badly he wanted to see Tebow play, and that nobody could name any Jaguars TEs, and that Tebow would put butts in the seats.

This was bad enough on its face, but the call in hosts made matters far worse with his response.

He said "the Jaguars need all the help they can get because they are the worst attended team in football."

At what point does the ignorance become willful?

It took one google search, less than a minute, to find the truth of the matter, which is there is ZERO to support that contention.

Going back to 2006-the last thirteen seasons with full attendance (I excluded last year due to Covid), there was not a single year the Jaguars ranked last in attendance.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/attendance/_/year/2020 

In many of those years, we were firmly in the middle of the pack.

This franchise has been far from the model franchise.  There are lots of legitimate criticisms you could level at the team.

What I HATE are the willful misrepresentations epitomized by that segment.

What I hate are holding the Jaguars to different standards by not criticizing other teams for doing the same thing the Jaguars are doing (Use of Etienne during minicamp while silent on the Steelers for using Najee Harris in the same way).

Sorry for the rant, but I had to vent.

Then go sit and listen to a State of the Jaguars presentation and tell me we aren't fed a load of crap about revenue. We get told in a round about way that we're terrible fans who can't carry a franchise without London. Imagine the support for this team if it wasn't all-world bad for 2 decades outside of a few outlier seasons.  1 Division title in 20 years. We've made the playoffs 3x and won as many games in the post season. Only Detroit and Cleveland are worse in W/L and they have a larger market and a rich football history to fall back on.

We have this.

7-9
6-10
6-10
5-11
9-7
12-4
8-8
11-5
5-11
7-9
8-8
5-11
2-14
4-12
3-13
10-6
5-11
6-10
1-15

(05-18-2021, 12:43 PM)RicoTx Wrote:
(05-18-2021, 11:20 AM)MarleyJag Wrote: Sexton has an arrogance about him that tends to rub people the wrong way.

He does?  OK.

Big time. It typically comes across when he's lecturing his listeners about the complexity of the league or talking smack about the fan base which he's sometimes prone to do. It's not as bad now that he's moved into the background a bit but was really hard for him to keep in check during his days as The Voice.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(05-18-2021, 03:51 PM)MarleyJag Wrote:

Big time. It typically comes across when he's lecturing his listeners about the complexity of the league or talking smack about the fan base which he's sometimes prone to do. It's not as bad now that he's moved into the background a bit but was really hard for him to keep in check during his days as The Voice.

Sadly once people pointed it out, I could never get over my ears being opened to it. 

Same thing happen when my sister said all of the voice over on commercials are females now.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(05-18-2021, 03:56 PM)MoJagFan Wrote:
(05-18-2021, 03:51 PM)MarleyJag Wrote: Big time. It typically comes across when he's lecturing his listeners about the complexity of the league or talking smack about the fan base which he's sometimes prone to do. It's not as bad now that he's moved into the background a bit but was really hard for him to keep in check during his days as The Voice.

Sadly once people pointed it out, I could never get over my ears being opened to it. 

Same thing happen when my sister said all of the voice over on commercials are females now.

This is loosely similar.  They have a speaker in the WalMart parking lot where they play specials, etc.  The voice sound just like Sexton.  It cracks me up when I hear it.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Hmm...I've not thought of Sexton as arrogant. And between the two as play by play guys, I prefer Sexton by a power of 10.
[Image: giphy.gif]

(05-18-2021, 02:41 PM)JagsFanSince95 Wrote:
(05-16-2021, 08:09 PM)Bullseye Wrote: I made a short trip to the corner store, and I had the misfortune of having my radio tuned to sports talk.

On the way back, I came in on a caller who was a Tebow cultist, saying how badly he wanted to see Tebow play, and that nobody could name any Jaguars TEs, and that Tebow would put butts in the seats.

This was bad enough on its face, but the call in hosts made matters far worse with his response.

He said "the Jaguars need all the help they can get because they are the worst attended team in football."

At what point does the ignorance become willful?

It took one google search, less than a minute, to find the truth of the matter, which is there is ZERO to support that contention.

Going back to 2006-the last thirteen seasons with full attendance (I excluded last year due to Covid), there was not a single year the Jaguars ranked last in attendance.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/attendance/_/year/2020 

In many of those years, we were firmly in the middle of the pack.

This franchise has been far from the model franchise.  There are lots of legitimate criticisms you could level at the team.

What I HATE are the willful misrepresentations epitomized by that segment.

What I hate are holding the Jaguars to different standards by not criticizing other teams for doing the same thing the Jaguars are doing (Use of Etienne during minicamp while silent on the Steelers for using Najee Harris in the same way).

Sorry for the rant, but I had to vent.

Then go sit and listen to a State of the Jaguars presentation and tell me we aren't fed a load of crap about revenue. We get told in a round about way that we're terrible fans who can't carry a franchise without London. Imagine the support for this team if it wasn't all-world bad for 2 decades outside of a few outlier seasons.  1 Division title in 20 years. We've made the playoffs 3x and won as many games in the post season. Only Detroit and Cleveland are worse in W/L and they have a larger market and a rich football history to fall back on.

We have this.

7-9
6-10
6-10
5-11
9-7
12-4
8-8
11-5
5-11
7-9
8-8
5-11
2-14
4-12
3-13
10-6
5-11
6-10
1-15
^^^ facts

Even when you add the few season run we made during coughlins first campaign,we have been a double digit win team 6 times in our history... and a double digit loss team 13, yet it’s our fault that our numbers dwindle.

This city showed up at the slightest hope that we may be successful. 2017 playoff game vs Buffalo. Then the patriots games the following year( also is probably the peak of that groups run, all down hill after that) the stadium was slammed.

But here we are, still losing games to London.

Any 1010 listeners here catch that ridiculous narrative that Ballou and pals went on and on about - bashing the crap out of Jordan Spieth as the most overrated player in golf the week before the players tournament?

LOL

Since then the guy has a win and 5 top ten finishes. Those clowns are just [BLEEP] pitiful.
I've been away from Jax and too busy to listen via stream, but I wonder if any of them ate their crow on that.

(05-18-2021, 03:51 PM)MarleyJag Wrote:

My fondest memory of Brian Sexton is his monumental flame-out on Who Wants To Be A Millioinaire gameshow.  EPIC failure.  LMAO.

(05-18-2021, 01:31 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(05-18-2021, 12:44 PM)Bullseye Wrote: No idea who Gates is.

I grew up on the MTV generation...when they actually played music videos.

I trash them from deviating from that formula.  Adding the stupid shows like Remote Control and the Young Ones and others was akin to having a brand new Mercedes benz and putting in fuzzy dice, bumper stickers and a king pole out the window.

But given the state of music now, I'm not so sure getting away from music videos was the wrong thing.

I have heard that critique before (don't know where...perhaps on this board) and I don't see it.  Maybe I simphy didn't pick up on it but arrogance isn't what I get from listening to Sexton.

I also don't subscribe fully to the "Frangie as mumbler" critique.

The only problem I've had with Frangie is aside from his Steelers loyalties (He now claims to have abandoned them), he has more caveats and prefases to his points than any lawyer I've known.  Sometimes I want him to just shut up and make his point already.

Quoting an Oldie but a Goodie from back in the day:

"Look, it was, without a doubt, and I'm sure you understand, but really, I honestly think, that, no matter what anyone else says, and this is just my opinion obviously, but it was just a phenomenal and I...mean...phe...no...men...al time for those of us who had, and by those of us I mean people all around the Frangie house at, you know, Jax Golf and Country Club where I live, the course is in the best shape I've ever seen I tell you, and Ballou I'll let you speak on this in a minute, but just hear me here, it was the most, and I do mean most, difficult decision my wife has ever made for me when we decided to put my mom in a home."

Mr Smith, is that you?
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

(05-19-2021, 08:39 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Any 1010 listeners here catch that ridiculous narrative that Ballou and pals went on and on about - bashing the crap out of Jordan Spieth as the most overrated player in golf the week before the players tournament?

LOL

Since then the guy has a win and 5 top ten finishes. Those clowns are just [BLEEP] pitiful.
I've been away from Jax and too busy to listen via stream, but I wonder if any of them ate their crow on that.

I lost what little respect I had for Ballou (which wasn't much) when I heard him one evening urging his married listeners to sign up on Ashley Madison and see what transpired. His sports takes pretty much suck 90% of the time as well.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

(05-26-2021, 01:41 AM)NewJagsCity Wrote:
(05-19-2021, 08:39 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Any 1010 listeners here catch that ridiculous narrative that Ballou and pals went on and on about - bashing the crap out of Jordan Spieth as the most overrated player in golf the week before the players tournament?  

LOL

Since then the guy has a win and 5 top ten finishes.  Those clowns are just [BLEEP] pitiful.

I lost what little respect I had for Ballou (which wasn't much) when I heard him one evening urging his married listeners to sign up on Ashley Madison and see what transpired. His sports takes pretty much suck 90% of the time as well.

He has always been the lecherous sort. 

I actually stopped listening to 1010 altogether for a few months after hearing him go on about the beverage cart girl at South Hampton golf course one day.  He was saying some shady [BLEEP] and it was clear the producer on hand said something to him off mic about toning down. He instead went on a tirade about why he can admire beautiful women openly. It was all inappropriate as hell. 

I had also played South Hampton that morning - during the same cart girl's shift he was talking about. 

She was 16 or 17 years old by my estimation.

(05-26-2021, 01:41 AM)NewJagsCity Wrote:

LOL

Since then the guy has a win and 5 top ten finishes.  Those clowns are just [BLEEP] pitiful.

Guy comes off as a sleazeball when talking with the 1010xl girls

(This post was last modified: 05-27-2021, 03:40 PM by NewJagsCity.)

It's unfortunate that there isn't more competition for 1010xl anymore here locally. That aside, I've got to say that I'm enjoying that show at 8 with Denny Thompson and James Coleman. I always liked Thompson, and James Coleman has really grown on me. Didn't really think he contributed much to the discussion at first, but the more I listened the more I liked. As far as I'm concerned, those guys can take Ballou's 6 p.m. slot and then roll right on through to 10 p.m.

This morning on 1010XL they were talking about who looked really good at QB and they said based off of reports, hands down Gardner Minshew looked the sharpest out of all Quarterbacks, including TLAW..

Thought that was interesting.
"If you always do what you've always done, You'll always get what you always got"

(05-28-2021, 12:34 PM)Ronster Wrote: This morning on 1010XL they were talking about who looked really good at QB and they said based off of reports, hands down Gardner Minshew looked the sharpest out of all Quarterbacks, including TLAW..

Thought that was interesting.

Good. The better he looks, the more we can get when we trade him.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(05-17-2021, 08:38 PM)surfon Wrote: You guys are all super harsh.  I think the local guys do a pretty good job.

I tune into 1010xl occasionally, and inevitably, they are either in a commercial, or headed to a commercial.  I swear, they will run 50 commercials in a row at times.  

And then when they do get around to talking, they talk endlessly about their weekend, or some concert they went to.  

There's very little actual sports talk on local sports talk radio.

(This post was last modified: 06-22-2021, 02:12 PM by TLawIsEnforced.)

(06-22-2021, 11:26 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(05-17-2021, 08:38 PM)surfon Wrote: You guys are all super harsh.  I think the local guys do a pretty good job.

I tune into 1010xl occasionally, and inevitably, they are either in a commercial, or headed to a commercial.  I swear, they will run 50 commercials in a row at times.  

And then when they do get around to talking, they talk endlessly about their weekend, or some concert they went to.  

Small market one pro team town with AAA MILB team and other minor sports league teams scattered about....*DROPS MIC*

(06-22-2021, 02:11 PM)TLawIsEnforced Wrote:
(06-22-2021, 11:26 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: I tune into 1010xl occasionally, and inevitably, they are either in a commercial, or headed to a commercial.  I swear, they will run 50 commercials in a row at times.  

Small market one pro team town with AAA MILB team and other minor sports league teams scattered about....*DROPS MIC*

Sports do happen outside of Jacksonville sometimes.

(06-22-2021, 02:23 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(06-22-2021, 02:11 PM)TLawIsEnforced Wrote: Small market one pro team town with AAA MILB team and other minor sports league teams scattered about....*DROPS MIC*

Sports do happen outside of Jacksonville sometimes.
Very little of rhe other non football sports gets Jacksonville and the greater metropolitan area excited....Late July to Early February is 'fun times' if ones FB team(s) is/are doing well....