Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Lions rookie Penei Sewell admits moving to right tackle 'not that easy'

Tbh, I thought they would start Sewell at LT from day one

"Lions rookie Penei Sewell admits moving to right tackle 'not that easy'" https://www.nfl.com/_amp/lions-rookie-pe...-that-easy

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(05-28-2021, 09:38 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Tbh, I thought they would start Sewell at LT from day one

"Lions rookie Penei Sewell admits moving to right tackle 'not that easy'" https://www.nfl.com/_amp/lions-rookie-pe...-that-easy

Taylor Decker had a Pro Bowl Caliber 2020 season. Back in the summer, he signed a contract extension with the Lions. I think the combo of Decker at LT and Penei Sewell at RT is the best way to proceed. With Sewell playing RT in High School, the transition for him back to RT should be relatively smooth.

(05-28-2021, 09:38 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Tbh, I thought they would start Sewell at LT from day one

Sewell at RT does not surprise me in the least.

Detroit has a good young but experienced LT in Taylor Decker.  Sell is inexperienced.

Furthermore,  Sewell has the ideal RT build.

I think it's the smart move.  It gets the best five OL on the field with minimal disruption. 

I am excited for Detroit.  This is the sort of offensive line they should have had for Barry Sanders.   Not that Lomas Brown,  Glover, et al were bad, per se, but just not a power group.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

As I've said, LT and RT are virtually equally valuable now. It's perfectly fine to put Sewell at RT. Based on the feedback from the multitude of players who have switched sides on the OL, I think he should have said more time consuming than harder. He'll get it and be just as good at RT as he was LT, but it does take him.

(05-30-2021, 09:14 PM)Upper Wrote: As I've said, LT and RT are virtually equally valuable now. It's perfectly fine to put Sewell at RT. Based on the feedback from the multitude of players who have switched sides on the OL, I think he should have said more time consuming than harder. He'll get it and be just as good at RT as he was LT, but it does take him.

We will still disagree about the value of RT vs LT, but I will say having Sewell on the right side will almost always have Detroit's OL as a strength, much like Boselli and Searcy did with us back in the day (though Decker is no Boselli).  I think Sewell can be counted on to win the battles on the right side both in the run and pass.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

The most important tackle position is the one protecting the blind side. I also feel Sewell has the higher ceiling. I would of put Decker on the right side

(05-31-2021, 10:09 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(05-30-2021, 09:14 PM)Upper Wrote: As I've said, LT and RT are virtually equally valuable now. It's perfectly fine to put Sewell at RT. Based on the feedback from the multitude of players who have switched sides on the OL, I think he should have said more time consuming than harder. He'll get it and be just as good at RT as he was LT, but it does take him.

We will still disagree about the value of RT vs LT, but I will say having Sewell on the right side will almost always have Detroit's OL as a strength, much like Boselli and Searcy did with us back in the day (though Decker is no Boselli).  I think Sewell can be counted on to win the battles on the right side both in the run and pass.

The thing that always got me about that... Leon was actually Brunell's "blind side" protector, since he was a southpaw.

(05-31-2021, 03:26 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(05-31-2021, 10:09 AM)Bullseye Wrote: We will still disagree about the value of RT vs LT, but I will say having Sewell on the right side will almost always have Detroit's OL as a strength, much like Boselli and Searcy did with us back in the day (though Decker is no Boselli).  I think Sewell can be counted on to win the battles on the right side both in the run and pass.

The thing that always got me about that... Leon was actually Brunell's "blind side" protector, since he was a southpaw.
Searcy was a very good tackle in his own right