Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
So, what's going to happen with Minshew?

I'd rather have 2.5m dead money and cut bethard than have bethard as our backup over Minshew who is better imo. But i'd trade minshew for a 3rd or higher to anyone who wanted him for sure.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Keep Minshew. Beth will be cut.

(06-03-2021, 02:17 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(06-03-2021, 01:27 PM)anonymous2112 Wrote: Rare agreement with FSG, New England would be a good landing spot for Minshew.  If he hits the market as a backup, he'd be in the upper half at the position in the NFL.  So I don't think he should be allowed to hit the market.  The Jags will keep him as the backup, start him if he is the best option coming out of camp, or trade him for a worthy pick.

His chances of being cut are less than 5% as long as he stays healthy.  Like NYC, I don't think the Jags will buy into the sunk cost fallacy of keeping Beathard if he's the worst QB in camp.  The Jags will eat the cost and move on, as they should with anybody that can't win the job.

I'm interested to see if we carry 3 QBs, which I endorse on any team, and if so, who wins the last spot.  If it's Beathard, I don't see Luton sticking to the practice squad.  He won't last 2 weeks before a team claims him and signs him to their 53.

I don't see the good fit in New England.

They already have the veteran in Cam Newton.  There is a strong argument that he is finished, but between the Covid complications last year (both his own and league wide) and his shoulder injury, you could argue there were plenty of reasons outside of his control that caused his bad season last year.  But even if you think he's relatively done, he's a good QB to have to bring along Mac Jones more slowly, if that's what Belichick wants to do.

From Minshew's perspective, he would face pretty much the same problem in New England that he is facing here.  He's had a taste for being a starter, and all things considered he's performed well.  He's still quite young, and still under a very cheap rookie deal.  If he went to New England, it would only be a matter of time before he is replaced by a highly drafted QB.

I think better spots for him would be Washington, possibly Green Bay, possibly Pittsburgh, possibly Denver.  In Washington, he'd have to beat out Fitzpatrick, who has had something of a rebirth the past couple of seasons, but over the course of his career, he's been maddeningly inconsistent, and as apt to throw you out of a game as he would to keep you in a game.  Minshew would have more support in Washington with that strong defense, good young receiving corps and a decent OL than he had here.

In Green Bay, the Aaron Rodgers fiasco makes this possible.  If he retires, the Packers have Jordan Love waiting in the wings, but who knows if he's ready or not?  My guess is he isn't ready, otherwise the Packers would have shipped Rodgers out already the way they did Favre when Rodgers was ready to assume the starter's role.  The road would presumably be smoother for him in Pittsburgh, where Big Ben is in his last year, and the Steelers' have less at stake in their backups as the Packers do with Jordan Love.  However, the Steelers' offensive line isn't nearly what it was with three departures at C, LT and RT.  Anyone QB this team the next couple of years is going to have it rough, though they have the advantage of being in a rock solid organization.  Denver would provide Minshe2w with a decent OL and outstanding skill position support.  Does Minshew have enough to beat out Teddy Bridgewater?  Maybe.  Would Denver be willing to spend the capital to trade for him?  Doubtful.  I think if they trade for any QB, they would make a run at Aaron Rodgers.  Failing that, I believe they just try again next offseason when the Watson case should have some more clarity.

Couple of other teams:

Houston would be a good fit on some level because they are moving away from Watson, Tyrod Taylor is clearly a shorter term option, and Mills is the 3rd round rookie.  They don't have too much invested in him.  However, given the return they are likely to get for trading Watson-even at a reduced rate given his likely suspension-and the poor season they are projected to have, they may cast their lot in the draft.  Besides, Houston is a division rival.  I don't think the Jaguars would trade Minshew to a divisional rival.

Seattle:   Minshew has some roots up in Washington state having played his callege ball there, but it appears for the moment the kerfuffle involving Russell Wilson seems to have passed.  So if Minshew's goal is to be a starter, that wouldn't be the place for him, either.

I think all those teams would be good fits, but I just don't see any of them offering a 3rd round pick for him in a trade. Maybe conditional, like 5th round, becomes 4th with number of starts and 3rd with more starts.

(06-03-2021, 02:34 PM)rpr52121 Wrote:
(06-03-2021, 02:17 PM)Bullseye Wrote: I don't see the good fit in New England.

They already have the veteran in Cam Newton.  There is a strong argument that he is finished, but between the Covid complications last year (both his own and league wide) and his shoulder injury, you could argue there were plenty of reasons outside of his control that caused his bad season last year.  But even if you think he's relatively done, he's a good QB to have to bring along Mac Jones more slowly, if that's what Belichick wants to do.

From Minshew's perspective, he would face pretty much the same problem in New England that he is facing here.  He's had a taste for being a starter, and all things considered he's performed well.  He's still quite young, and still under a very cheap rookie deal.  If he went to New England, it would only be a matter of time before he is replaced by a highly drafted QB.

I think better spots for him would be Washington, possibly Green Bay, possibly Pittsburgh, possibly Denver.  In Washington, he'd have to beat out Fitzpatrick, who has had something of a rebirth the past couple of seasons, but over the course of his career, he's been maddeningly inconsistent, and as apt to throw you out of a game as he would to keep you in a game.  Minshew would have more support in Washington with that strong defense, good young receiving corps and a decent OL than he had here.

In Green Bay, the Aaron Rodgers fiasco makes this possible.  If he retires, the Packers have Jordan Love waiting in the wings, but who knows if he's ready or not?  My guess is he isn't ready, otherwise the Packers would have shipped Rodgers out already the way they did Favre when Rodgers was ready to assume the starter's role.  The road would presumably be smoother for him in Pittsburgh, where Big Ben is in his last year, and the Steelers' have less at stake in their backups as the Packers do with Jordan Love.  However, the Steelers' offensive line isn't nearly what it was with three departures at C, LT and RT.  Anyone QB this team the next couple of years is going to have it rough, though they have the advantage of being in a rock solid organization.  Denver would provide Minshe2w with a decent OL and outstanding skill position support.  Does Minshew have enough to beat out Teddy Bridgewater?  Maybe.  Would Denver be willing to spend the capital to trade for him?  Doubtful.  I think if they trade for any QB, they would make a run at Aaron Rodgers.  Failing that, I believe they just try again next offseason when the Watson case should have some more clarity.

Couple of other teams:

Houston would be a good fit on some level because they are moving away from Watson, Tyrod Taylor is clearly a shorter term option, and Mills is the 3rd round rookie.  They don't have too much invested in him.  However, given the return they are likely to get for trading Watson-even at a reduced rate given his likely suspension-and the poor season they are projected to have, they may cast their lot in the draft.  Besides, Houston is a division rival.  I don't think the Jaguars would trade Minshew to a divisional rival.

Seattle:   Minshew has some roots up in Washington state having played his callege ball there, but it appears for the moment the kerfuffle involving Russell Wilson seems to have passed.  So if Minshew's goal is to be a starter, that wouldn't be the place for him, either.

I think all those teams would be good fits, but I just don't see any of them offering a 3rd round pick for him in a trade. Maybe conditional, like 5th round, becomes 4th with number of starts and 3rd with more starts.

Agreed.

Truth is, there aren't too many teams at this point with a dire need at starting QB.

A conditional 5th sounds about right for Minshew.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(06-03-2021, 02:38 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(06-03-2021, 02:34 PM)rpr52121 Wrote: I think all those teams would be good fits, but I just don't see any of them offering a 3rd round pick for him in a trade. Maybe conditional, like 5th round, becomes 4th with number of starts and 3rd with more starts.

Agreed.

Truth is, there aren't too many teams at this point with a dire need at starting QB.

mmmm.... we are still in OTA's. wait until the preseason hits, then we will see a much bigger demand for ol Mustache
"If you always do what you've always done, You'll always get what you always got"

(06-03-2021, 02:39 PM)Ronster Wrote:
(06-03-2021, 02:38 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Agreed.

mmmm.... we are still in OTA's. wait until the preseason hits, then we will see a much bigger demand for ol Mustache

I'm kinda thinking the same thing.  It will take an injury like with Foles to spur demand for Minshew.

But I think that would be predicated in part on Minshew.

If he holds out or otherwise proved to be a malcontent/pain in the butt to force a trade, it possibly drives his price down.

(06-03-2021, 02:42 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(06-03-2021, 02:39 PM)Ronster Wrote: mmmm.... we are still in OTA's. wait until the preseason hits, then we will see a much bigger demand for ol Mustache

I'm kinda thinking the same thing.  It will take an injury like with Foles to spur demand for Minshew.

But I think that would be predicated in part on Minshew.

If he holds out or otherwise proved to be a malcontent/pain in the butt to force a trade, it possibly drives his price down.

He would be stupid to hold out. He is not special like that. lol
"If you always do what you've always done, You'll always get what you always got"

(This post was last modified: 06-03-2021, 02:53 PM by rpr52121.)

(06-03-2021, 02:39 PM)Ronster Wrote:
(06-03-2021, 02:38 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Agreed.

I know we have said and "hoped for this" but what QB injury in camp/preseason really forces a team to trade a 3rd for Minshew.

If the current starting QB of Denver, Pittsburgh, Washington gets hurt, they are more likely to just tank the season to draft a QB next year.
Patriots are tied Jones, Carolina to Stafford, GB to Love. None would introduce the drama of a competitor for the starter role for those guys.
Eagles are loosely tied to Hunt, but probably secretly tanking like the Jags did last year.
Texans appear to planning to tank, and more like to throw just ride with Mills given they had no picks this year.
Even Seattle would probably be better off tanking to get some good picks for a influx of talent on the offensive line, edge rusher, or secondary in the situation that RW gets hurt given how tough their division is. Heck, even with RW they could be the worst team in their division.

Only chance would a team that is basically "all-in" for this season facing a major QB injury like Tampa, Buffalo or LA Rams. And that would only play out if that injury happened during the season and they realize they cannot trust their current back ups to navigate 1-2 months.

I'm not saying the Jags should cut bait right now. But I don't anticipate the market getting that much better.

(06-03-2021, 01:13 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(06-03-2021, 12:57 PM)Dewboy01 Wrote: Beathard isn't getting cut after they guaranteed him 2.5 Million.  You don't guarantee $$ for a camp arm.  He's on the roster, and if he isn't the back-up QB, than that's a bad look for Meyer & Co. - so that means he'll be the back-up QB, no matter that Minshew has more experience and better numbers....

Nah.

Not buying it. 2.5 mil ain't [BLEEP] in the NFL QB world. 

If Beathard doesn't win the back-up spot I'd be perfectly OK with cutting him and his dead money.  
Bad look or not.  We've already had multiple "bad look" decisions made and it's only June.

Won't matter much if they move Minshew by August, and it seems Meyer wants to do that.

If he doesn't win the back-up spot, I'd be perfectly fine with cutting Beathard also - I just don't have faith that Meyer will feel the same. The fact that we've already had multiple "bad look" decisions makes me afraid that Meyer will make another one in this case.

(This post was last modified: 06-03-2021, 02:56 PM by mal234.)

Regarding other teams Gardner could go to, I think that the Eagles could be an option. They still don't seem completely sold on Jalen Hurts and a little while ago was hesitant to name him the starter. As far as I know they still haven't named him as the starter for sure. Another team that he might have a shot at might be the Lions. They have Jared Goff, but I question if that combo of Jared/Dan Campbell will work together. We saw how much Jared struggled pre Sean McVay, and how much Sean helped him out as a QB. I wonder if he might struggle again in Detroit opening up the door for some competition.

And for teams that just need QB's period, the Cowboys were very recently looking for backup QB's. They don't really have anybody solid behind Dak. And some other teams could be interested as well.

Also, the local reporters said that Gardner took a "personal" day off and this was a "light" day for the veterans. For what it's worth Norwell didn't show up either and these OTA's are voluntary. But this doesn't sound right to me and it doesn't really sound like Gardner. Hmmm..., lol.

(06-03-2021, 02:52 PM)rpr52121 Wrote:
(06-03-2021, 02:39 PM)Ronster Wrote: mmmm.... we are still in OTA's. wait until the preseason hits, then we will see a much bigger demand for ol Mustache

I know we have said and "hoped for this" but what QB injury in camp/preseason really forces a team to trade a 3rd for Minshew.

If the current starting QB of Denver, Pittsburgh, Washington gets hurt, they are more likely to just tank the season to draft a QB next year.
Patriots are tied Jones, Carolina to Stafford, GB to Love. None would introduce the drama of a competitor for the starter role for those guys.
Eagles are loosely tied to Hunt, but probably secretly tanking like the Jags did last year.
Texans appear to planning to tank, and more like to throw just ride with Mills given they had no picks this year.
Even Seattle would probably be better off tanking to get some good picks for a influx of talent on the offensive line, edge rusher, or secondary in the situation that RW gets hurt given how tough their division is. Heck, even with RW they could be the worst team in their division.

Only chance would a team that is basically "all-in" for this season facing a major QB injury like Tampa, Buffalo or LA Rams. And that would only play out if that injury happened during the season and they realize they cannot trust their current back ups to navigate 1-2 months.

I'm not saying the Jags should cut bait right now. But I don't anticipate the market getting that much better.
That's a lot of tanking teams... They all can't be in last place. I think Philly, Texans or Washington are likely teams. Perhaps even GB would be a good fit.

He's more valuable to the Jags than even a third-round pick. He's the second-best QB on the roster and that means a lot. I'd keep Minshew here for the duration of his contract.

(This post was last modified: 06-03-2021, 02:59 PM by rpr52121.)

(06-03-2021, 02:54 PM)Ronster Wrote:
(06-03-2021, 02:52 PM)rpr52121 Wrote: I know we have said and "hoped for this" but what QB injury in camp/preseason really forces a team to trade a 3rd for Minshew.

That's a lot of tanking teams... They all can't be in last place. I think Philly, Texans or Washington are likely teams. Perhaps even GB would be a good fit.

Those were If __, then __ situations. I doubt all those teams will have QB injuries. And in the case they don't have injuries, they have no reason to trade for Minshew at that price.

(06-03-2021, 02:56 PM)JagFanFirst Wrote: He's more valuable to the Jags than even a third-round pick. He's the second-best QB on the roster and that means a lot.  I'd keep Minshew here for the duration of his contract.

Another question about Minshew as the back up is can he run a playbook designed for T-Law. We all saw his limitations last season, albeit with a worse staff.

(06-03-2021, 02:52 PM)rpr52121 Wrote:

Makes sense.

Unless somehow Pittsburgh still sees itself as a contender.  An early injury to Big Ben is the only thing that would cause Pittsburgh to even consider a trade for Minshew, but they are patient enough as an organization to just endure that sort of season and just start anew.

On the other hand, they have made some trades recently (Minkah Fitzpatrick and the move up for Bush)..

But it's doubtful they would make a deal for Minshew.  Like I said, there aren't too many teams with a dire need at QB at this point.

The guys on 1010 speculated Philadelphia might be interested, but I don't see that rither.  While I am no fan of Jalen Hurts, they have too much invested in him in terms of the whole QB controversy, they will go with Hurts as the starter for at least this year in the attenpt to justify themselves.

And keeping 3 QBs is such a bad idea because....????
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

(06-03-2021, 02:54 PM)mal234 Wrote: Regarding other teams Gardner could go to, I think that the Eagles could be an option. They still don't seem completely sold on Jalen Hurts and a little while ago was hesitant to name him the starter. As far as I know they still haven't named him as the starter for sure. Another team that he might have a shot at might be the Lions. They have Jared Goff, but I question if that combo of Jared/Dan Campbell will work together. We saw how much Jared struggled pre Sean McVay, and how much Sean helped him out as a QB. I wonder if he might struggle again in Detroit opening up the door for some competition.

And for teams that just need QB's period, the Cowboys were very recently looking for backup QB's. They don't really have anybody solid behind Dak. And some other teams could be interested as well.

Also, the local reporters said that Gardner took a "personal" day off and this was a "light" day for the veterans. For what it's worth Norwell didn't show up either and these OTA's are voluntary. But this doesn't sound right to me and it doesn't really sound like Gardner. Hmmm..., lol.

Did not see this reply when I posted on Hurts and the Eagles earlier.  Apologies.

As for the Cowboys, from Minshwe's perspective, a trade to Dallas makes no sense.  They have a ton of surrounding talent, sure, but they just committed a ton of money to Prescott.  Minshew would have no shot to start over him at this stage.

(06-03-2021, 03:02 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: And keeping 3 QBs is such a bad idea because....????

How much dead weight do want them to carry? I mean if they keep Tebow and now three QB's.... That's a lot of dead weight for a team that went 1-15 last year.

(06-03-2021, 03:02 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: And keeping 3 QBs is such a bad idea because....????

Good question.  Teams used to do it all the time, and some still do.  The Jaguars hadn't done it in years, though.

(This post was last modified: 06-03-2021, 03:14 PM by iHaunting Raven.)

(06-03-2021, 03:05 PM)Ronster Wrote:

How much dead weight do want them to carry? I mean if they keep Tebow and now three QB's.... That's a lot of dead weight for a team that went 1-15 last year.

And because we have so much talent on this roster....
I wonder what the Broncos will do after what happened to them last year.
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

I think you all know where I stand on Minshew. Solid backup we are paying peanuts for. Hes won games for us. He was treated so bad by Marrone last year with Glennon and Luton playing over him no matter how much they stunk.