Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
So, what's going to happen with Minshew?

(06-03-2021, 03:18 PM)JagFan81 Wrote: I think you all know where I stand on Minshew. Solid backup we are paying peanuts for. Hes won games for us. He was treated so bad by Marrone last year with Glennon and Luton playing over him no matter how much they stunk.

My thoughts exactly.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(06-03-2021, 02:48 PM)Ronster Wrote:
(06-03-2021, 02:42 PM)Bullseye Wrote: I'm kinda thinking the same thing.  It will take an injury like with Foles to spur demand for Minshew.

But I think that would be predicated in part on Minshew.

If he holds out or otherwise proved to be a malcontent/pain in the butt to force a trade, it possibly drives his price down.

He would be stupid to hold out. He is not special like that. lol

I don't know if he would hold out like that. But if he did and they actually cut him, I do think he would get picked up by another team. I think as long as he's not cut/traded for reasons like breaking the law he could land on another team. Though, it wouldn't be the best look for him to try and hold out given his situation and lack of leverage.
(06-03-2021, 02:52 PM)rpr52121 Wrote:
(06-03-2021, 02:39 PM)Ronster Wrote: mmmm.... we are still in OTA's. wait until the preseason hits, then we will see a much bigger demand for ol Mustache

I know we have said and "hoped for this" but what QB injury in camp/preseason really forces a team to trade a 3rd for Minshew...

Only chance would a team that is basically "all-in" for this season facing a major QB injury like Tampa, Buffalo or LA Rams. And that would only play out if that injury happened during the season and they realize they cannot trust their current back ups to navigate 1-2 months.

I'm not saying the Jags should cut bait right now. But I don't anticipate the market getting that much better.

I think that if the Jags wanted the best value for Gardner they should have traded him when teams were first asking about him. There were multiple places he could have landed. But they dragged their feet on that for whatever reasons, even after signing CJ, trying to get Alex Smith and reaching out to Jeff Driskel. I'm not sure what their game plan is regarding Gardner. Waiting to trade him in hopes that a team needs him due to an injury doesn't seem like the best plan IMO. It might be different if no teams were asking about him, but they were and the Jags didn't take advantage of that.

(06-03-2021, 12:57 PM)Dewboy01 Wrote:
(06-03-2021, 10:08 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Correct.  If it looks like a trade for Minshew isn't imminent at the day of final cuts, you cut Beathard.

Beathard isn't getting cut after they guaranteed him 2.5 Million.  You don't guarantee $$ for a camp arm.  He's on the roster, and if he isn't the back-up QB, than that's a bad look for Meyer & Co. - so that means he'll be the back-up QB, no matter that Minshew has more experience and better numbers....

isn't this becoming a trend?

And if the team/coach/owner are determining roster spots based on payroll alone, we are in it deep.

signed, a hater, I guess.

(06-03-2021, 03:26 PM)mal234 Wrote:
(06-03-2021, 02:48 PM)Ronster Wrote: He would be stupid to hold out. He is not special like that. lol

I don't know if he would hold out like that. But if he did and they actually cut him, I do think he would get picked up by another team. I think as long as he's not cut/traded for reasons like breaking the law he could land on another team. Though, it wouldn't be the best look for him to try and hold out given his situation and lack of leverage.
If he was just released, ya he would be picked up quickly by another team. The Jags know that and that is why they want some ROI on him.
"If you always do what you've always done, You'll always get what you always got"

(This post was last modified: 06-03-2021, 04:03 PM by Mikey.)

(06-03-2021, 02:52 PM)rpr52121 Wrote:
(06-03-2021, 02:39 PM)Ronster Wrote: mmmm.... we are still in OTA's. wait until the preseason hits, then we will see a much bigger demand for ol Mustache

I know we have said and "hoped for this" but what QB injury in camp/preseason really forces a team to trade a 3rd for Minshew.

If the current starting QB of Denver, Pittsburgh, Washington gets hurt, they are more likely to just tank the season to draft a QB next year.
Patriots are tied Jones, Carolina to Stafford, GB to Love. None would introduce the drama of a competitor for the starter role for those guys.
Eagles are loosely tied to Hunt, but probably secretly tanking like the Jags did last year.
Texans appear to planning to tank, and more like to throw just ride with Mills given they had no picks this year.
Even Seattle would probably be better off tanking to get some good picks for a influx of talent on the offensive line, edge rusher, or secondary in the situation that RW gets hurt given how tough their division is. Heck, even with RW they could be the worst team in their division.

Only chance would a team that is basically "all-in" for this season facing a major QB injury like Tampa, Buffalo or LA Rams. And that would only play out if that injury happened during the season and they realize they cannot trust their current back ups to navigate 1-2 months.

I'm not saying the Jags should cut bait right now. But I don't anticipate the market getting that much better.

Dallas, if Prescott's foot isn't ready or he re-injures. Their backups are doubleplusungood

I think that is the only shot at a trade where he is penciled in as a starter.

(06-03-2021, 03:02 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: And keeping 3 QBs is such a bad idea because....????

depends on who the 54th player on the roster was.

(06-03-2021, 03:18 PM)JagFan81 Wrote: I think you all know where I stand on Minshew. Solid backup we are paying peanuts for. Hes won games for us. He was treated so bad by Marrone last year with Glennon and Luton playing over him no matter how much they stunk.

Prisco and Dilla went in on why that was on the bold take pod like a month ago.

GM15 has had to fight for his prevalence throughout college and the pros. He's used to it.

So far within camp he's reportedly been the most accurate passer thus far. He has one HELL of a mountain to climb to unseat TL16 but I'll guarantee you one thing, he'll make the coaches decision Hard As HELL to not start him from day one. Now I Concur that TL16 MUST be our day one starter but don't count GM15 out.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...
"AZANE"

We had 3 QBs last year with Minshew Luton and the other guy. We will probably have 3 this year. I think Luton is the odd man out because of the money

I think New Orleans is best place for Minshew. Currant AB's are Jameis Winston, Taysom Hill and Trevor Simien. Wouldn't have faith in any of them.

(This post was last modified: 06-04-2021, 06:03 AM by mal234.)

Gardner's trainer talked yesterday with his podcast co-host about Gardner's absence from OTA's. I think that it was an interesting and insightful conversation. It sounds like Gardner is frustrated with his situation on the Jags and wants out. According to his trainer Gardner was working out/throwing with him yesterday, before OTA's began.  He says that he senses Gardner's frustration about his situation on the Jags and has said before that he thinks that Gardner will be traded sooner than later. He has said he doesn't speak for Gardner, but I definitely he has been around Gardner long enough and has gotten to know him well. 

He knows how he's feeling and I believe he knows that Gardner doesn't want be on the Jags anymore. He talked a bit about what could happen if Gardner ended up being cut. He said it could end up being optimal for Gardner if he was released. (And honestly it could be because he's not really making any money and he'd have more of a choice on where he ended up).

He discussed the difference between Gardner staying as a backup or getting to compete as a starter, including a big financial difference. The stuff he was saying made sense. I have never believed that Gardner has wanted to the backup on this team (or really any team, unless it's that or out of the league.) He's young, very competitive, has had a chance to start and is making very little money. Why would he want to be a low paid backup, at least right now at this stage in his career? It doesn't make sense. I know some Jags fans think he wants to the backup/long term backup for this team, but he does not.

His trainer and the other radio host talked also discussed options on what the Jags could do if Gardner continues to be disgruntled. They mentioned possibly trading him and talked about how many QB's the Jags might carry on the team. They could trade Gardner and roll with Trevor, CJ and Luton. Or even keep Gardner and have Trevor, Gardner and CJ. If they kept Gardner I think he would continue to be unhappy on this team, but the Jags have a pattern of trying to keep unhappy players who don't want to be on the team on the roster. So par for the course.

Here's the video of Gardner's trainer talking about him and his frustration/situation with the Jags around the 23:45 mark in this video. It goes up to like the 53:35 minute mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=deskto...Z4c&t=1422

(This post was last modified: 06-04-2021, 06:37 AM by The Real Marty.)

Since Gardner is on the third year of a rookie contract, if he is waived, he would go through the waiver claim process, so I don't think he would have a choice of what team he goes to, unless he clears waivers without being claimed, which in my opinion is very unlikely.  A good backup QB on a sixth-round rookie contract is way too good to pass up.  Someone would claim him.  

For that reason, I think it's much more likely he'd get traded rather than waived.  Surely someone would give up a late-round pick for him.  And then he'd still be a low-paid backup.

I would also argue with this statement: "...the Jags have a pattern of trying to keep unhappy players who don't want to be on the team on the roster. So par for the course."  The current regime has only been in place for a few months, so there there can't be any "pattern" of trying to keep unhappy players.

Minshew's curse is that he got a taste of stardom. Remember his aspirations of becoming a coach after his WSU days? But the brief adulation he received here has altered his trajectory.

I wanted the guy to succeed as much as everyone else, but he simply doesn't have the talent. Of course it didn't help that he was in a downward spiraling organization at the time and surrounded by talent who were incapable of propping him up, which in turn imparted some bad habits into his game (he's gone a little rabbit). He got a bad break, but the simple truth of the matter is that was his best shot and the cards just didn't go his way.

(This post was last modified: 06-04-2021, 08:15 AM by Mikey.)

(06-04-2021, 05:26 AM)mal234 Wrote: ...

His trainer and the other radio host talked also discussed options on what the Jags could do if Gardner continues to be disgruntled. They mentioned possibly trading him and talked about how many QB's the Jags might carry on the team. They could trade Gardner and roll with Trevor, CJ and Luton. Or even keep Gardner and have Trevor, Gardner and CJ. If they kept Gardner I think he would continue to be unhappy on this team, but the Jags have a pattern of trying to keep unhappy players who don't want to be on the team on the roster. So par for the course.

Is this your opinion, or the radio host/trainer?

Because that is so very far off base. I'd love to see the list of unhappy players we've kept on the roster. Every time someone has voiced their discontent publicly, yes the team has tried to mend fences, but if the player stuck to their demand, that player was gone.

(06-04-2021, 06:52 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Minshew's curse is that he got a taste of stardom. Remember his aspirations of becoming a coach after his WSU days? But the brief adulation he received here has altered his trajectory.

I wanted the guy to succeed as much as everyone else, but he simply doesn't have the talent.  Of course it didn't help that he was in a downward spiraling organization at the time and surrounded by talent who were incapable of propping him up, which in turn imparted some bad habits into his game (he's gone a little rabbit). He got a bad break, but the simple truth of the matter is that was his best shot and the cards just didn't go his way.

I kind of wonder if he does win the backup job, do we offer an extension? Something tells me that would make a lot of this go away. I don't see him as a long-term starter anywhere, and unfortunately he may just have to learn the same the hard way.

(This post was last modified: 06-04-2021, 08:33 AM by mal234.)

(06-04-2021, 08:12 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(06-04-2021, 05:26 AM)mal234 Wrote: ...

Is this your opinion, or the radio host/trainer?

Because that is so very far off base. I'd love to see the list of unhappy players we've kept on the roster. Every time someone has voiced their discontent publicly, yes the team has tried to mend fences, but if the player stuck to their demand, that player was gone.

(06-04-2021, 06:52 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Minshew's curse is that he got a taste of stardom. Remember his aspirations of becoming a coach after his WSU days? But the brief adulation he received here has altered his trajectory.

I wanted the guy to succeed as much as everyone else, but he simply doesn't have the talent.  Of course it didn't help that he was in a downward spiraling organization at the time and surrounded by talent who were incapable of propping him up, which in turn imparted some bad habits into his game (he's gone a little rabbit). He got a bad break, but the simple truth of the matter is that was his best shot and the cards just didn't go his way.

I kind of wonder if he does win the backup job, do we offer an extension? Something tells me that would make a lot of this go away. I don't see him as a long-term starter anywhere, and unfortunately he may just have to learn the same the hard way.

They held onto people like Yan longer than they should have and acted like there was a chance of working things out. Even though it was very clear he didn't want to be on the team and was posting that discontent publicly for a bit before they did anything. Who knows how long Gardner has felt this way, especially considering the organization has treated him over the last couple of years. (Benching him when they shouldn't have, especially when they tried to use the what gives us the best chance to win argument as one of the excuses for doing it. Which was not true.) Now granted there is a new regime in place now, but they still fall underneath the Jags organization.

Also, I don't think trying to give him an extension is going to work. Not at this point. He's young and he's not going to give more of his future/potential to start away to the Jags. I do think he wants make more money, but I believe he wants a chance to do that with another team, where he can bet on himself more. If he was like Ryan Fitzpatrick's age and/or has already been on multiple teams he might would consider it. Or maybe if he had a family to feed or something along those lines. But not now, in his current situation.

My best guess is, Minshew will be weighed during the pre-season.. If a team offers up a decent deal for Minshew, will that outweigh his value as a backup QB..

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

(06-04-2021, 08:24 AM)mal234 Wrote:
(06-04-2021, 08:12 AM)Mikey Wrote: Is this your opinion, or the radio host/trainer?

They held onto people like Yan longer than they should have and acted like there was a chance of working things out. Even though it was very clear he didn't want to be on the team and was posting that discontent publicly for a bit before they did anything. Who knows how long Gardner has felt this way, especially considering the organization has treated him over the last couple of years. (Benching him when they shouldn't have, especially when they tried to use the what gives us the best chance to win argument as one of the excuses for doing it. Which was not true.) Now granted there is a new regime in place now, but they still fall underneath the Jags organization.

Also, I don't think trying to give him an extension is going to work. Not at this point. He's young and he's not going to give more of his future/potential to start away to the Jags. I do think he wants make more money, but I believe he wants a chance to do that with another team, where he can bet on himself more. If he was like Ryan Fitzpatrick's age and/or has already been on multiple teams he might would consider it. Or maybe if he had a family to feed or something along those lines. But not now, in his current situation.

Attributing the behavior of the previous front office to this front office is unreasonable. These are different people making decisions about different players in different circumstances. The "they" in your statement got fired so that previous behavior has zero bearing on today's actions.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(06-04-2021, 08:24 AM)mal234 Wrote:
(06-04-2021, 08:12 AM)Mikey Wrote: Is this your opinion, or the radio host/trainer?

They held onto people like Yan longer than they should have <<"They" are gone.  ...and acted like there was a chance of working things out. Even though it was very clear he didn't want to be on the team and was posting that discontent publicly for a bit before they did anything. Who knows how long Gardner has felt this way, especially considering the organization has treated him over the last couple of years. (Benching him when they shouldn't have, especially when they tried to use the what gives us the best chance to win argument as one of the excuses for doing it. Which was not true.)  Now granted there is a new regime in place now, but they still fall underneath the Jags organization.  <<No, they don't.  The organization has been completely replaced.  

(This post was last modified: 06-04-2021, 04:48 PM by Predator.)

Even if he is disgruntled, he's not going to get cut. He has too much value.

Besides, no one cares if a backup is unhappy, they have no leverage, and anything negative he does will lessen his opportunities elsewhere.

No one is content being a back up, but the only thing you can do is to work hard to improve yourself so you get an opportunity to be a starter.

(06-04-2021, 04:48 PM)Predator Wrote: Even if he is disgruntled, he's not going to get cut. He has too much value.

Besides, no one cares if a backup is unhappy, they have no leverage, and anything negative he does will lessen his opportunities elsewhere.

No one is content being a back up, but the only thing you can do is to work hard to improve yourself so you get an opportunity to be a starter.

Agreed. With a 17 game season, having a good backup QB is the most essential insure policy a team could have. Minshew is too good to let walk. I would keep him for the next two years.

(06-04-2021, 05:16 PM)Newton Wrote:
(06-04-2021, 04:48 PM)Predator Wrote: Even if he is disgruntled, he's not going to get cut. He has too much value.

Agreed. With a 17 game season, having a good backup QB is the most essential insure policy a team could have. Minshew is too good to let walk. I would keep him for the next two years.

Who knows what will occur. Since he has coaching aspirations someday, maybe he will end up like Spurrier. He backed up Brody in San Fran for what 9 years? I could be mistaken....
A new broom always sweeps clean.