Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jags to announce plans for downtown developments at 1030am

(06-11-2021, 01:09 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(06-11-2021, 12:58 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Strong churches, fewer people, less traffic, less nightlife, a more rural city lifestyle.

No, it's an opinion that's just as valid as yours.

No, it's really not as valid.

It could be valid if we were Lake City.

We are not. We are a major COASTAL city on a large river which allows for a large port and large naval base. There is no choice but to grow and expand. Otherwise it's stagnation and death... and our location on the St. Johns right next to the Atlantic Ocean doesn't allow for that - ever - it truly is an issue of geographic importance - so they need to stop holding on to this idea we will ever be Cowford again.

And if they want that - Keystone Heights is still right there and as pointless and meaningless as ever.

I think the word "valid" will make this a divisive, non useful discussion.

I fully understand people craving that lifestyle and those things. It is definitely an opinion and preference that one can have.

Having said that, I kind of agree with flsprtsgod that if those are goals, why would be in the main city or even proper surburbia of Jacksonville? Wouldn't you have move out even further by now?

Also if you did live that far out from the city, you would not be part of the tax base this draws from and would rarely venture into the city to deal with it. So why be so against it?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(06-11-2021, 12:58 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Strong churches, fewer people, less traffic, less nightlife, a more rural city lifestyle.

We are not. We are a major COASTAL city on a large river which allows for a large port and large naval base. There is no choice but to grow and expand. Otherwise it's stagnation and death... and our location on the St. Johns right next to the Atlantic Ocean doesn't allow for that - ever - it truly is an issue of geographic importance - so they need to stop holding on to this idea we will ever be Cowford again.

And if they want that - Keystone Heights is still right there and as pointless and meaningless as ever.

As someone who moved from the LFC around ten years ago, I can tell you the difference between then and now are night and day. Development is taking over, @they actually have chain restaurants that aren't fast food now!@
They aren't as stagnant as you think.

Jacksonville is a coastal city on a large river that some want to expand.  Others don't share the same opinion, and yes it is a valid opinion.

Just like your opinion of Keystone Heights.  Some that crave the "big city" or "metropolitan" lifestyle/environment might find a small town "pointless and meaningless".  However, as a resident of Jacksonville for more than 30 years I chose to buy property outside of the city.  In a couple of months I'll be living in a "pointless and meaningless" area away from the daily shootings and gang violence that comes with being a "major" city.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(This post was last modified: 06-11-2021, 08:48 PM by rpr52121.)

(06-11-2021, 04:50 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(06-11-2021, 01:09 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: No, it's really not as valid.

Jacksonville is a coastal city on a large river that some want to expand.  Others don't share the same opinion, and yes it is a valid opinion.

Just like your opinion of Keystone Heights.  Some that crave the "big city" or "metropolitan" lifestyle/environment might find a small town "pointless and meaningless".  However, as a resident of Jacksonville for more than 30 years I chose to buy property outside of the city.  In a couple of months I'll be living in a "pointless and meaningless" area away from the daily shootings and gang violence that comes with being a "major" city.

I can't speak for the others, but I'm just think I'm confused that you consider Jacksonville big city/metropolitan living say in the last 5-10 years.I mean on the scale of Walden Pond (1) to NYC (10), It put it easily in the 4ish range. It is definitely NOT pointless or meaningless. It is just different.

Beside that, I think expecting most city/town/village/hamlets to stay the same for 30 years in this age is a bit short sighted.

"My family is six generations in this town. I was here before that football team and I'll be here after they leave, so you late comers can follow 'em out and piss right off. We'll be the better for it" is usually about how it goes. And who are you to tell other people what they have to want their town to be?
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Name one city in the United States with a river like ours on the coast that is smaller than Jacksonville.

....You people just don't seem to grasp what I'm telling you. Geographically this city has no choice but to expand, and if you don't like the inevitable expansion, move to Keystone Heights.

It's a LITERAL geographic inevitability that Jacksonville will grow and grow and grow... and those that don't like it should just move instead of trying to stop it.

(06-12-2021, 04:36 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: Name one city in the United States with a river like ours on the coast that is smaller than Jacksonville.

....You people just don't seem to grasp what I'm telling you. Geographically this city has no choice but to expand, and if you don't like the inevitable expansion, move to Keystone Heights.

It's a LITERAL geographic inevitability that Jacksonville will grow and grow and grow... and those that don't like it should just move instead of trying to stop it.

I understand perfectly what you are saying, you don't seem to grasp the other perspective at all and that's why you have this confused absolutism in your responses.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato