Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Julio to the tacks

(06-06-2021, 06:36 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(06-06-2021, 04:03 PM)JagsorDie Wrote: Yeah except he isn’t the difference maker. We weren’t going to be much of a challenger to them even with out Julio. We are certainly improving this year but most rational jags fan knew this isn’t an overnight transformation. We just offloaded most of our veteran roster last season and have a litany of young players we need to develop. They can overspend all they want.  But it isn’t to win the division, they had that in bag already. 

They still have no shot vs Baltimore or KC(and that is just to get through the AFCCG).  

Adding an over priced washed up receiver isn’t going to put them over the edge. Plus a second is overpriced.

If they wanted to turn some heads, go get Rodgers... lol Julio isn’t scaring anyone.

Julio was well on his way to 1300+ yards and 7+ TD last year before he missed time. You call that washed up, but I think all of us would take that kind of production here. We've only had two 1k+ yard receivers since 2005...

He doesn't have to be the main man anymore either because now he gets to play with another good up and coming WR in AJ Brown. They'll get plenty of single coverage as well because Henry will eat teams up running the ball if they keep Safeties deep.
Hurns, Robinson, and Chark

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 06-06-2021, 08:55 PM by StroudCrowd1.)

JJ can't stay healthy and is a FF owner team wrecker. This signing doesn't bother me.

(06-06-2021, 07:43 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(06-06-2021, 06:36 PM)Eric1 Wrote: Julio was well on his way to 1300+ yards and 7+ TD last year before he missed time. You call that washed up, but I think all of us would take that kind of production here. We've only had two 1k+ yard receivers since 2005...

He doesn't have to be the main man anymore either because now he gets to play with another good up and coming WR in AJ Brown. They'll get plenty of single coverage as well because Henry will eat teams up running the ball if they keep Safeties deep.
Hurns, Robinson, and Chark

Yea that's right, he cracked 1k with 1031 that year Robinson got 1400. I just went through and quickly glanced at the leading receiver per season on PFR. I knew Shorts and Mike Thomas got close but couldn't remember if they cracked it or not years ago.

I know we've had some struggles at WR since the hay days with Jimmy and McCardell, but I forgot just how bad it was at times lol. Marcedes Lewis was our leading receiver in 2011 with a whopping 460 yards lol. Rough

(06-06-2021, 01:45 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: This move is fine with me. It's a win-now move, at a time when we are not ready to contend for the division. As far as I'm concerned, they can hire all the 32 year old vets they want. It just means in a year or two, they'll be getting out of our way.

They only gave up a 2nd round pick. They didn't mortgage their future hardly at all.

(This post was last modified: 06-06-2021, 10:01 PM by Jag88.)

It's not about Henry. It's about our defensive line and linebackers whooping their offensive line.

Also tannyhill is ok....

(06-06-2021, 09:24 PM)Upper Wrote:
(06-06-2021, 01:45 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: This move is fine with me.  It's a win-now move, at a time when we are not ready to contend for the division.  As far as I'm concerned, they can hire all the 32 year old vets they want.   It just means in a year or two, they'll be getting out of our way.

They only gave up a 2nd round pick. They didn't mortgage their future hardly at all.

Swapped a 4th for a 6th in 2023, doesn't seem like much more, but big difference talent those 2 rounds. .  Still a good deal if he can stay healthy and be a team player. Adjusting to being the 2nd receiver may be tough after being THE GUY in Atlanta that long.
A new broom always sweeps clean.

Well, they should be the division favorites easily.

(06-06-2021, 07:40 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(06-06-2021, 04:03 PM)JagsorDie Wrote: Yeah except he isn’t the difference maker. We weren’t going to be much of a challenger to them even with out Julio. We are certainly improving this year but most rational jags fan knew this isn’t an overnight transformation. We just offloaded most of our veteran roster last season and have a litany of young players we need to develop. They can overspend all they want.  But it isn’t to win the division, they had that in bag already. 

They still have no shot vs Baltimore or KC(and that is just to get through the AFCCG).  

Adding an over priced washed up receiver isn’t going to put them over the edge. Plus a second is overpriced.

If they wanted to turn some heads, go get Rodgers... lol Julio isn’t scaring anyone.
Baltimore may not even be a top 4 team in the AFC…..

KC Buffalo Cleveland (who got much better) and the tacks are all better IMO.

And by saying “Julio is washed up” further proves what little you know.

Seeing how most of my post was replying to the fact that the Titans were already favorites to win the division and this move doesn’t put them over edge, your bull [BLEEP] reply changes really nothing. 

And your final little jab of a comment at the end further proves what a D***** bag you really are. 

Good stuff, wouldn’t have expected much more from you.

(This post was last modified: 06-07-2021, 08:22 AM by The Real Marty.)

(06-06-2021, 09:24 PM)Upper Wrote:
(06-06-2021, 01:45 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: This move is fine with me.  It's a win-now move, at a time when we are not ready to contend for the division.  As far as I'm concerned, they can hire all the 32 year old vets they want.   It just means in a year or two, they'll be getting out of our way.

A 2nd round pick, and a $15 million salary, for a 32 year old oft-injured player.   Our championship is not this year; it'll be 2022 at the soonest.   I do not feel threatened by this move.  On the contrary, I think it helps move them out of our way.

By the time we're ready to contend, he'll be gone, and the Titans will have less money to spend and no second round pick.

(06-06-2021, 12:16 PM)rpr52121 Wrote: How are they managing this with their cap situation. I thought they only had like $5 million free.

They'll restructure a couple of deals.  Likely Tannehill's and also Julio's.

We needed someone to complement AJ Brown, and with the uncertainty of how Reynolds will play, this did the trick.  There was a lot of noise on Twitter after the signing like "well, Tannehill is still the QB".  I don't understand the disrespect.  He wasn't great in Miami, but he's easily been a top 10 QB the past 2 years.  I don't think he's super elite, but his numbers last year were actually better than Mahomes.
We learned in the Sunday School who made the sun shine through.  I know who made the moonshine too, back where I come from.

(06-07-2021, 08:55 AM)unf_nashvillian Wrote:
(06-06-2021, 12:16 PM)rpr52121 Wrote: How are they managing this with their cap situation. I thought they only had like $5 million free.

They'll restructure a couple of deals.  Likely Tannehill's and also Julio's.

We needed someone to complement AJ Brown, and with the uncertainty of how Reynolds will play, this did the trick.  There was a lot of noise on Twitter after the signing like "well, Tannehill is still the QB".  I don't understand the disrespect.  He wasn't great in Miami, but he's easily been a top 10 QB the past 2 years.  I don't think he's super elite, but his numbers last year were actually better than Mahomes.

Tannehill is a game manager at best that relies on Henry to keep defenses honest... which he does - he has single and sometimes zero coverage on most of his throws.

Mahomes is a game BREAKER.

Please don't conflate the two.

(06-06-2021, 11:41 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: Not pumped to see him twice a year.

good news, he missed almost half of last year, so you may not have to!

Ding, ding!

They have a new OC, no idea if the new guy is going to be as run heavy or not, or if it's just going to be the same system with a new guy calling the plays. If they want to throw a second at a guy in the twilight of his career, let em. If they want to overpay a middling QB, let em.

I don't see this move giving them any better shot at a Championship, honestly.

(06-07-2021, 09:32 AM)Mikey Wrote:

Ding, ding!

They have a new OC, no idea if the new guy is going to be as run heavy or not, or if it's just going to be the same system with a new guy calling the plays. If they want to throw a second at a guy in the twilight of his career, let em. If they want to overpay a middling QB, let em.

Yeah, they're on a different timetable than us.  Trading for Julio Jones actually moves their timetable forward.  That means they will get out of our way sooner.  It might be good for them for the next year or two, but it's also good for us after that.

(06-07-2021, 09:32 AM)Mikey Wrote:

Ding, ding!

I still think KC and Buffalo are the best in the AFC but this clearly puts the tacks closer to them than they were before. They're adding a top 5 WR of all time with juice still in the tank.

They are going to be really hard to defend. I think what may hold them back is having a new OC who (in his first year) has to find a way to get his 3 studs the rock.

(This post was last modified: 06-07-2021, 09:56 AM by unf_nashvillian.)

(06-07-2021, 08:57 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(06-07-2021, 08:55 AM)unf_nashvillian Wrote: They'll restructure a couple of deals.  Likely Tannehill's and also Julio's.

Tannehill is a game manager at best that relies on Henry to keep defenses honest... which he does - he has single and sometimes zero coverage on most of his throws.

Mahomes is a game BREAKER.

Please don't conflate the two.

Re-read what I posted.  I clearly said he's not super elite (which Mahomes is).  The point was he's been very productive and shouldn't be shrugged off as a bottom tier QB.

(06-07-2021, 09:44 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(06-07-2021, 09:32 AM)Mikey Wrote: Ding, ding!

I still think KC and Buffalo are the best in the AFC but this clearly puts the tacks closer to them than they were before. They're adding a top 5 WR of all time with juice still in the tank.

They are going to be really hard to defend. I think what may hold them back is having a new OC who (in his first year) has to find a way to get his 3 studs the rock.

Agree 100%.  KC and Buffalo are at the top of the pack.  Definitely nervous about the new OC.  We will see how much of their solid offense the past couple of years was due to Smith and how much is talent.  Regression is certainly a possibility.
We learned in the Sunday School who made the sun shine through.  I know who made the moonshine too, back where I come from.

(This post was last modified: 06-07-2021, 10:14 AM by Upper.)

(06-07-2021, 05:35 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(06-06-2021, 09:24 PM)Upper Wrote: They only gave up a 2nd round pick. They didn't mortgage their future hardly at all.

A 2nd round pick, and a $15 million salary, for a 32 year old oft-injured player.   Our championship is not this year; it'll be 2022 at the soonest.   I do not feel threatened by this move.  On the contrary, I think it helps move them out of our way.

By the time we're ready to contend, he'll be gone, and the Titans will have less money to spend and no second round pick.

You're dramatically overestimating how much a second round pick hurts them long term. Also, Julio's contract has a buyout for a measly $2M after this year and then zero dead cap in 2 years. Their cap isn't hurt by getting Julio in the least. The Titans got massively better in the short term and barely worse in the long term.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As far as the teams to beat in the AFC are concerned, y'all are sleeping on the Dolphins. I think they might have the best overall roster in the AFC now. If Tua takes a big step forward, and I don't really think he will I'm not a fan, they'll be in the conversation for teams to beat after the Chiefs.

(06-07-2021, 10:13 AM)Upper Wrote:
(06-07-2021, 05:35 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: A 2nd round pick, and a $15 million salary, for a 32 year old oft-injured player.   Our championship is not this year; it'll be 2022 at the soonest.   I do not feel threatened by this move.  On the contrary, I think it helps move them out of our way.

You're dramatically overestimating how much a second round pick hurts them long term. Also, Julio's contract has a buyout for a measly $2M after this year and then zero dead cap in 2 years. Their cap isn't hurt by getting Julio in the least. The Titans got massively better in the short term and barely worse in the long term.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As far as the teams to beat in the AFC are concerned, y'all are sleeping on the Dolphins. I think they might have the best overall roster in the AFC now. If Tua takes a big step forward, and I don't really think he will I'm not a fan, they'll be in the conversation for teams to beat after the Chiefs.
Their offensive skill players are insane. Fuller, Waddle, Parker, Preston, Gesicki, Gaskin..... Sheeeesh.

Like you said though, it comes down to Tua.

Doesn't make the Titans basically what the Falcons were like 8-9 years ago when they had Roddy White, Julio Jones, Michael Turner, Matt Ryan, and a suspect defense?

(06-07-2021, 10:42 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(06-07-2021, 10:13 AM)Upper Wrote: You're dramatically overestimating how much a second round pick hurts them long term. Also, Julio's contract has a buyout for a measly $2M after this year and then zero dead cap in 2 years. Their cap isn't hurt by getting Julio in the least. The Titans got massively better in the short term and barely worse in the long term.

Their offensive skill players are insane. Fuller, Waddle, Parker, Preston, Gesicki, Gaskin..... Sheeeesh.

Like you said though, it comes down to Tua.

Unless they trade for Rodgers or Watson.  Instant SB favorites.