Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Who is on your Mount Rushmore

(06-09-2021, 05:02 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote:
(06-09-2021, 04:34 PM)MarleyJag Wrote: Never did see Mark as one of those guys. Sure he was our best QB in the pre-Lawrence era but a step below HOF candidates like Fred, Jimmy and Boselli. He ranks on a level with Keenan IMO. Definitely a good player, pro bowl material for a couple of years but not an all time great.

In 2006 Mark Brunell was ranked 26th in all-time passing yards. Brunell was also ranked 34th in all time passing TDs.

He was one of the best QBs in the league from 96-2001

4 straight playoffs 
Led the league in passing 
Led all QBs in rushing in 96
3 time Pro Bowler
2 time Pro Bowl MVP
17 game winning drives 
Inducted in the Rose Bowl Hall of fame
Ranks 45th in all time passing yards

(43rd) Kurt Warner - 32,344
(45th) Mark Brunell - 32,072

The throw to Jimmy on the out and up up in Baltimore against the best defense in NFL history, was ranked as 1 of the top 100 best throws in NFL history.

The throw he made to Jimmy up in Denver was also ranked as 1 of the best top 100. So was the throw he made when he went to Washington that he threw to Moss was also ranked as 1 of the best. 

Chris Berman said on multiple occasions that Mark Brunell is 1 of the best QBs in the league during Prime Time.

Mark had a cannon. None of that sink and dunk stuff. He made the big boy throws in the biggest moments. 

Jimmy Smith had arguably the best 3 year stretch of ANY WR in NFL history. Jimmy was running down under kicks in 1995. Him and Mark began forming a connection and the rest is history. Keenan McCardell had a 220 yard game and a 16 catch game. Jimmy had a 291 yard game and a 15 catch game. 

It blows my mind how any Jaguar fan could say he was not the man. 

I’ve been watching the Jaguars ever since Desmond Howard took that punt to the house in Canton, Ohio.

I’m good with Mark not being in anyone’s top 4, but don’t say he wasn’t one of those guys. I challenge you to go back and watch full games from 1996 to 2001.

Mrs. Brunell! I didn't realize you were on the forum!

Seriously, I said he had a couple years were he was an outstanding player but he's never been HOF material. I think he'd tell you that too if you asked him. But he was the best we had at the position for a long time. Still not up with Tony, Fred or Jimmy. He's in the tier with Brackens, Hardy or Keenan.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Imo the top 5 players we have had skill wise is

1. Boseli
2. Ramsey
3. J smith
4. Fred T
5. Mjd

(06-09-2021, 05:02 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote:
(06-09-2021, 04:34 PM)MarleyJag Wrote: Never did see Mark as one of those guys. Sure he was our best QB in the pre-Lawrence era but a step below HOF candidates like Fred, Jimmy and Boselli. He ranks on a level with Keenan IMO. Definitely a good player, pro bowl material for a couple of years but not an all time great.

In 2006 Mark Brunell was ranked 26th in all-time passing yards. Brunell was also ranked 34th in all time passing TDs.

He was one of the best QBs in the league from 96-2001

4 straight playoffs 
Led the league in passing 
Led all QBs in rushing in 96
3 time Pro Bowler
2 time Pro Bowl MVP
17 game winning drives 
Inducted in the Rose Bowl Hall of fame
Ranks 45th in all time passing yards

(43rd) Kurt Warner - 32,344
(45th) Mark Brunell - 32,072

The throw to Jimmy on the out and up up in Baltimore against the best defense in NFL history, was ranked as 1 of the top 100 best throws in NFL history.

The throw he made to Jimmy up in Denver was also ranked as 1 of the best top 100. So was the throw he made when he went to Washington that he threw to Moss was also ranked as 1 of the best. 

Chris Berman said on multiple occasions that Mark Brunell is 1 of the best QBs in the league during Prime Time.

Mark had a cannon. None of that sink and dunk stuff. He made the big boy throws in the biggest moments. 

Jimmy Smith had arguably the best 3 year stretch of ANY WR in NFL history. Jimmy was running down under kicks in 1995. Him and Mark began forming a connection and the rest is history. Keenan McCardell had a 220 yard game and a 16 catch game. Jimmy had a 291 yard game and a 15 catch game. 

It blows my mind how any Jaguar fan could say he was not the man. 

I’ve been watching the Jaguars ever since Desmond Howard took that punt to the house in Canton, Ohio.

I’m good with Mark not being in anyone’s top 4, but don’t say he wasn’t one of those guys. I challenge you to go back and watch full games from 1996 to 2001.

Before you start geeking out over his career ranking, note that the following guys are ahead of him: Ken Anderson (42), Andy Dalton (36!), Jim (don't call me Chris) Everett (31), Matt Hasselbeck (26).

Just a little perspective to compare against, since the only other cited was Kurt Warner, who has a Lombardi and two NFL MVP to his name.

Another fun tidbit in that list - Brian Sipe is the career passing leader who spent most of his career with the Browns, but I highly doubt anyone would consider him their franchise's face over Otto Graham or even Bernie Kosar.

(This post was last modified: 06-10-2021, 08:56 AM by Dewboy01.)

OK, so you wouldn't have Brunell on the Jags Mount Rushmore because he wasn't an all time great - who would you pick for the 4th slot?  Who else has played for us that WAS an all time great?  We have had some other really good players (MJD, Brackens, Hardy) and some who had a couple of great years (Campbell, Ramsey).  I agree - we've had 3 players that can be considered all time greats and should get HOF consideration, but that's the fun of discussions like this - who should be the 4th on our Mount Rushmore?

btw "pre-Lawrence era" = all of Jaguar history.  Mark being the best QB in all of Jaguar history puts him on our Mount Rushmore in my opinion to this point.  Who else had the success he did and was as important a player as he was?

(06-09-2021, 10:28 PM)JagsorDie Wrote: Jimmy, Freddy, Campbell, Lawrence.

If I’m being honest, I was young for the tony days and over the last 5ish years he comes off as annoying on the radio. Probably just me but he hasn’t aged well in that light like Jeff Laugs. That’s the the only reason I left him off.

Fun one is who is your villain  Rushmore( only jags franchise personnel)

Mine: so many to chose from but probably Gene Smith 4 times.

Villain rushmore: Who Douglas, Aaron Ross, Branden Albert, Tom Coughlin.

(06-10-2021, 08:54 AM)Dewboy01 Wrote:

OK, so you wouldn't have Brunell on the Jags Mount Rushmore because he wasn't an all time great - who would you pick for the 4th slot?  Who else has played for us that WAS an all time great?  We have had some other really good players (MJD, Brackens, Hardy) and some who had a couple of great years (Campbell, Ramsey).  I agree - we've had 3 players that can be considered all time greats and should get HOF consideration, but that's the fun of discussions like this - who should be the 4th on our Mount Rushmore?

btw "pre-Lawrence era" = all of Jaguar history.  Mark being the best QB in all of Jaguar history puts him on our Mount Rushmore in my opinion to this point.  Who else had the success he did and was as important a player as he was?

I don't know if we have a fourth guy but if we do, I'd probably go with MJD. Mark was a very good player. He was probably at the top of that second tier of players but the fact that he's been the best QB in our history is more a condemnation of the franchise than an indication he was a Mt Rushmore kind of player.

(06-10-2021, 08:54 AM)Mikey Wrote:

If I’m being honest, I was young for the tony days and over the last 5ish years he comes off as annoying on the radio. Probably just me but he hasn’t aged well in that light like Jeff Laugs. That’s the the only reason I left him off.

I think Ramsey should replace either Albert or Coughlin. Albert was probably the least villainous since he was a big nothing, but Coughlin has a lot of good to counter the bad.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(06-10-2021, 07:45 AM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: Imo the top 5 players we have had skill wise is

1. Boseli
2. Ramsey
3. J smith
4. Fred T
5. Mjd

Freddy should be at the top of that list.  I'm guessing you weren't alive when he was a Jaguar.

I'd put Big Sofa on the all time nickname Mt Rushmore. Lol.

Matt Turk, Hayden Epstein, Cortez Hankton, Steve Matthews
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(06-09-2021, 05:25 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(06-08-2021, 11:06 PM)Upper Wrote: Boselli, Jimmy, Taylor, and Lawrence.

The only players that come to mind are Tony Boselli, Jimmy Smith and Fred Taylor.

To even say Lawrence when the only NFL snaps he has taken have been during underwear "practice" is ridiculous.

It was mostly said in jest. However, if you could hand us any player in franchise history and reincarnate them on this team right now as a rookie and they would have the exact same career that they had I would take Lawrence and his potential over any of them.

(06-10-2021, 07:45 AM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: Imo the top 5 players we have had skill wise is

1. Boseli
2. Ramsey
3. J smith
4. Fred T
5. Mjd

Lol, A guy that quit on the Jags and faked a back unjury on your Mount Rushmore.  Lololol

(06-10-2021, 01:00 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:

1. Boseli
2. Ramsey
3. J smith
4. Fred T
5. Mjd

Lol, A guy that quit on the Jags and faked a back unjury on your Mount Rushmore.  Lololol

He did say talent wise, not attitude. You could make the argument.

(06-10-2021, 01:00 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:

1. Boseli
2. Ramsey
3. J smith
4. Fred T
5. Mjd

Ramsey may have been the catalyst that spawned the dawn of a new era of Jags football with Meyer and Lawrence.  Just use a carving of his butt where his face would go.

(06-10-2021, 08:54 AM)Mikey Wrote:

Calais Campbell deserves to be on the Mt. Rushmore team. Although only a Jaguar for 3 years, he was arguably the most productive defensive player the team has ever had for that duration of time. Add in his leadership and his selection is a no-brainer to me.

As far as the "villain" Rushmore team, I'd have to add Jerry Porter to that list in place of Coughlin. Coughlin was the one primarily responsible for the team's great success while in its infancy as an NFL franchise. No doubt that he wore out his welcome in both stints with the team, but the positives can't be ignored.

(06-10-2021, 02:53 PM)jaglou53 Wrote:
(06-10-2021, 08:54 AM)Mikey Wrote: Villain rushmore: Who Douglas, Aaron Ross, Branden Albert, Tom Coughlin.

Calais Campbell deserves to be on the Mt. Rushmore team. Although only a Jaguar for 3 years, he was arguably the most productive defensive player the team has ever had for that duration of time. Add in his leadership and his selection is a no-brainer to me.

As far as the "villain" Rushmore team, I'd have to add Jerry Porter to that list in place of Coughlin. Coughlin was the one primarily responsible for the team's great success while in its infancy as an NFL franchise. No doubt that he wore out his welcome in both stints with the team, but the positives can't be ignored.

Calais Campbell 2017-2019:
30.5 sacks - 195 combined tackles - 44 TFL - 0 safety - 3 fumb. rec.

Tony Brackens 1999-2001:
30.5 sacks - 174 combined tackles - 37 TFL  - 1 safety - 4 fumb rec.

Brackens had 8 years on the roster and 55 career sacks as a Jag. 

Numbers are close - but I'd lean toward Brackens before Campbell as much as I love Calais Campbell and wanted him to remain a Jag at least one more year.

(06-10-2021, 03:23 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(06-10-2021, 02:53 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: Calais Campbell deserves to be on the Mt. Rushmore team. Although only a Jaguar for 3 years, he was arguably the most productive defensive player the team has ever had for that duration of time. Add in his leadership and his selection is a no-brainer to me.

Calais Campbell 2017-2019:

Tony Brackens 1999-2001:

Numbers are close - but I'd lean toward Brackens before Campbell as much as I love Calais Campbell and wanted him to remain a Jag at least one more year.

I’d say 1a and 1b and could be interchanged. Before Brackens moved my father knew him quite well so I was always a fan of his when I was growing up.

(06-10-2021, 06:14 PM)JagsorDie Wrote:
(06-10-2021, 03:23 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Calais Campbell 2017-2019:

Tony Brackens 1999-2001:

I’d say 1a and 1b and could be interchanged. Before Brackens moved my father knew him quite well so I was always a fan of his when I was growing up.

Seemed like a likeable guy the way other players talk about him. 

I thought it was actually really cool how Brackens 3 best years turned out to be so close to Campbell's statistically.

Taylor, Smith, MJD, Mathis, Boselli

(This post was last modified: 06-10-2021, 07:33 PM by Jags.)

(06-09-2021, 09:34 AM)WingerDinger Wrote: I can't believe nobody said it yet..

Tebow

I can’t believe no one sqid Long Ding or Harry colon.  Ad the ttebsters.  We need one more.  How about a serious one.  Scobee!