Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Who is on your Mount Rushmore

(06-10-2021, 07:33 PM)Jags Wrote:
(06-09-2021, 09:34 AM)WingerDinger Wrote: I can't believe nobody said it yet..

Tebow

I can’t believe no one sqid Long Ding or Harry colon.  Ad the ttebsters.  We need one more.  How about a serious one.  Scones!

Dude, I forgot about them..

Tebow
Long Ding
Harry Colon

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

The thing about Calais is he was an impact pass rusher competitive with anyone in the league not named Donald/Mack/Miller/etc while also being the single best run stopper in the league.

But I agree an awesome 3 years doesn't quite qualify him for the Jags Mt Rushmore. Had he been with us a few more seasons prior to when he actually arrived we might be looking at the second best player in franchise history.

(06-08-2021, 09:55 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: Jaguars related only of course 

Tony Boselli, Jimmy Smith, Fred Taylor, Mark Brunell

A strong case could be made that Wayne Weaver would be on the Jags Mt Rushmore.

Agree.

(06-10-2021, 07:14 PM)nhiverson Wrote: Taylor, Smith, MJD, Mathis, Boselli

Mathis is a good candidate that I don't think had been mentioned yet.

(This post was last modified: 06-11-2021, 08:29 AM by Mikey.)

(06-10-2021, 09:10 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(06-10-2021, 08:54 AM)Mikey Wrote: Villain rushmore: Who Douglas, Aaron Ross, Branden Albert, Tom Coughlin.

I think Ramsey should replace either Albert or Coughlin. Albert was probably the least villainous since he was a big nothing, but Coughlin has a lot of good to counter the bad.

I'm giving Ramsey benefit of the doubt that Coughlin was what convinced him to move on. I didn't hear any discontent from him until everything after the brinks truck. I think between how TC handled a lot of the defensive players on that team and how he handled the back and forth with Doug on the sideline, Ramsey wasn't going to wait around for TC to dig his own grave.

When you get the franchise in deep dookie with the players association and the league office, yeah, you're on the wall of blame.

(06-10-2021, 09:44 AM)RicoTx Wrote: Matt Turk, Hayden Epstein, Cortez Hankton, Steve Matthews

Hankie autorec, the perennial jar on the shelf.

(This post was last modified: 06-11-2021, 08:40 AM by Mikey.)

(06-10-2021, 02:53 PM)jaglou53 Wrote:
(06-10-2021, 08:54 AM)Mikey Wrote: Villain rushmore: Who Douglas, Aaron Ross, Branden Albert, Tom Coughlin.

Calais Campbell deserves to be on the Mt. Rushmore team. Although only a Jaguar for 3 years, he was arguably the most productive defensive player the team has ever had for that duration of time. Add in his leadership and his selection is a no-brainer to me.

As far as the "villain" Rushmore team, I'd have to add Jerry Porter to that list in place of Coughlin. Coughlin was the one primarily responsible for the team's great success while in its infancy as an NFL franchise. No doubt that he wore out his welcome in both stints with the team, but the positives can't be ignored.

I came to FL in '01, so I don't have that era to cloud my judgment. I think the league did the team more favor in how they bolstered the expansion teams with extra picks and us striking gold in Brunell than to say TC was such a brilliant coach. Marrone could have won just as much with a roster that strong.

That we allowed ourselves to be burned twice by the man makes him the top candidate on my list. In reality, the other three are mere afterthoughts in this franchise's history.

With regard to Porter, that was on us for overpaying for an aging WR. The dude never played after his season with us, so it's not like he sandbagged the year while waiting to sign to a different team with better postseason potential.

(06-10-2021, 07:33 PM)Jags Wrote:
(06-09-2021, 09:34 AM)WingerDinger Wrote: I can't believe nobody said it yet..

Tebow

I can’t believe no one sqid Long Ding or Harry colon.  Ad the ttebsters.  We need one more.  How about a serious one.  Scobee!

Scobee's foot was a candidate for my rushmore. Dude kicked me a buncha free subs.

(06-10-2021, 07:34 PM)WingerDinger Wrote:
(06-10-2021, 07:33 PM)Jags Wrote: I can’t believe no one sqid Long Ding or Harry colon.  Ad the ttebsters.  We need one more.  How about a serious one.  Scones!

Dude, I forgot about them..

Tebow
Long Ding
Harry Colon

Add Mothman to that list..

(06-11-2021, 09:15 AM)WingerDinger Wrote:
(06-10-2021, 07:34 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: Dude, I forgot about them..

Tebow
Long Ding
Harry Colon

Add Mothman to that list..

LOL

Happy Birthday, WD.

John Henderson, and John Henderson alone. And he'd have a recently-slapped red face.

(06-11-2021, 09:44 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(06-11-2021, 09:15 AM)WingerDinger Wrote: Add Mothman to that list..

LOL

Happy Birthday, WD.

lol thanks brother!!

(06-11-2021, 08:39 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(06-10-2021, 02:53 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: Calais Campbell deserves to be on the Mt. Rushmore team. Although only a Jaguar for 3 years, he was arguably the most productive defensive player the team has ever had for that duration of time. Add in his leadership and his selection is a no-brainer to me.

As far as the "villain" Rushmore team, I'd have to add Jerry Porter to that list in place of Coughlin. Coughlin was the one primarily responsible for the team's great success while in its infancy as an NFL franchise. No doubt that he wore out his welcome in both stints with the team, but the positives can't be ignored.

I came to FL in '01, so I don't have that era to cloud my judgment. I think the league did the team more favor in how they bolstered the expansion teams with extra picks and us striking gold in Brunell than to say TC was such a brilliant coach. Marrone could have won just as much with a roster that strong.

That we allowed ourselves to be burned twice by the man makes him the top candidate on my list. In reality, the other three are mere afterthoughts in this franchise's history.

With regard to Porter, that was on us for overpaying for an aging WR. The dude never played after his season with us, so it's not like he sandbagged the year while waiting to sign to a different team with better postseason potential.

(06-10-2021, 07:33 PM)Jags Wrote: I can’t believe no one sqid Long Ding or Harry colon.  Ad the ttebsters.  We need one more.  How about a serious one.  Scobee!

Scobee's foot was a candidate for my rushmore. Dude kicked me a buncha free subs.

Ummm, TC left here and won two Superb Owls beating the GOAT and Darth Hoodie both times. I think he was far better as a coach than you're giving him credit for.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(06-11-2021, 12:20 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(06-11-2021, 08:39 AM)Mikey Wrote: I came to FL in '01, so I don't have that era to cloud my judgment. I think the league did the team more favor in how they bolstered the expansion teams with extra picks and us striking gold in Brunell than to say TC was such a brilliant coach. Marrone could have won just as much with a roster that strong.

Ummm, TC left here and won two Superb Owls beating the GOAT and Darth Hoodie both times. I think he was far better as a coach than you're giving him credit for.

As Superb as his Owls were... he only seemed to have Belichick's number.

A lot of his wins came down to quite frankly lucky plays... yes they were set up by good football, but you still can't disregard the luck factor.

He ALWAYS put special emphasis on a strong defensive line that could get to the QB without having to blitz.... he did that here, he did that there... he had a GM that found better talent in NY.

(06-10-2021, 09:16 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(06-10-2021, 07:45 AM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: Imo the top 5 players we have had skill wise is

1. Boseli
2. Ramsey
3. J smith
4. Fred T
5. Mjd

Freddy should be at the top of that list.  I'm guessing you weren't alive when he was a Jaguar.
He was never considered the best rb in league. Those 3 guys above him had arguments to be made at one time or another

(06-11-2021, 03:14 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote:
(06-10-2021, 09:16 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Freddy should be at the top of that list.  I'm guessing you weren't alive when he was a Jaguar.
He was never considered the best rb in league. Those 3 guys above him had arguments to be made at one time or another

He did more for the franchise than any of those other guys except maybe Jimmy.

(06-11-2021, 03:36 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(06-11-2021, 03:14 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: He was never considered the best rb in league. Those 3 guys above him had arguments to be made at one time or another

He did more for the franchise than any of those other guys except maybe Jimmy.
Not Mt. Rushmore worthy, but I'd like to make an honorable mention of the expansion Texan"s front office.  Their taking a couple of contracts, including Boselli's, was a huge cap relief for the mess TC had created with his win now philosophy.

I can't recall the other Jags player(s) the Texan took in the expansion draft.  Little help.

Whole Organiztation:
Weaver
TC
Boselli
Fred Taylor

Players Only
Boselli
Taylor
Jimmy
MJD

Non Players
Weaver
TC
Lamping?
Khan?

(06-11-2021, 03:57 PM)jagshype Wrote: Whole Organiztation:
Weaver
TC
Boselli
Fred Taylor

Players Only
Boselli
Taylor
Jimmy
MJD

Non Players
Weaver
TC
Lamping?
Khan?

....that none of you are considering Jaxson (at least the Curtis years) among non-players is a travesty.

(This post was last modified: 06-11-2021, 05:10 PM by JagFanatic24.)

(06-10-2021, 09:02 AM)MarleyJag Wrote:
(06-10-2021, 08:54 AM)Dewboy01 Wrote: OK, so you wouldn't have Brunell on the Jags Mount Rushmore because he wasn't an all time great - who would you pick for the 4th slot?  Who else has played for us that WAS an all time great?  We have had some other really good players (MJD, Brackens, Hardy) and some who had a couple of great years (Campbell, Ramsey).  I agree - we've had 3 players that can be considered all time greats and should get HOF consideration, but that's the fun of discussions like this - who should be the 4th on our Mount Rushmore?

btw "pre-Lawrence era" = all of Jaguar history.  Mark being the best QB in all of Jaguar history puts him on our Mount Rushmore in my opinion to this point.  Who else had the success he did and was as important a player as he was?

I don't know if we have a fourth guy but if we do, I'd probably go with MJD. Mark was a very good player. He was probably at the top of that second tier of players but the fact that he's been the best QB in our history is more a condemnation of the franchise than an indication he was a Mt Rushmore kind of player.

Top of that 2nd tier. Man I just don’t see how anybody could say Mark is at the top of the 2nd tier.

I have watched every game the Jags have ever played including the Hall of Fame game and all preseason games and playoff games.

Mark Brunell was that dude! The season he had in 1996 he was playing out of his mind. I am seriously challenging you to go back and watch just the highlights of the Jaguars. You can type in 1996 Jaguars and there is a guy that posted all the highlights from every team from like 1995 up until present day. Chris and Tom on NFL Prime Time. 

If Brunell played into today’s era he would have 4800-5100 yards and 35 TDs on average.

I’m cool with him not being in your top 4. I respect your opinion. He’s not Hall of fame material and I agree with that. He’s the best QB in franchise history by a long shot. 

Pre injury, the league was put on notice. He was compared to Steve Young. 

Please accept the challenge. Go back and watch man. For real.

He’s in the Pride for a reason. MJD probably won’t ever make the Pride. MJD is at the top of the 2nd tier with Brackens Darius and Hardy and the rest of them.

Current Pride: Tony, Fred, Mark, Jimmy, Weavers

(06-11-2021, 05:06 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote:
(06-10-2021, 09:02 AM)MarleyJag Wrote: I don't know if we have a fourth guy but if we do, I'd probably go with MJD. Mark was a very good player. He was probably at the top of that second tier of players but the fact that he's been the best QB in our history is more a condemnation of the franchise than an indication he was a Mt Rushmore kind of player.

Top of that 2nd tier. Man I just don’t see how anybody could say Mark is at the top of the 2nd tier.

I have watched every game the Jags have ever played including the Hall of Fame game and all preseason games and playoff games.

Mark Brunell was that dude! The season he had in 1996 he was playing out of his mind. I am seriously challenging you to go back and watch just the highlights of the Jaguars. You can type in 1996 Jaguars and there is a guy that posted all the highlights from every team from like 1995 up until present day. Chris and Tom on NFL Prime Time. 

If Brunell played into today’s era he would have 4800-5100 yards and 35 TDs on average.

I’m cool with him not being in your top 4. I respect your opinion. He’s not Hall of fame material and I agree with that. He’s the best QB in franchise history by a long shot. 

He’s in the Pride for a reason. MJD probably won’t ever make the Pride. MJD is at the top of the 2nd tier with Brackens Darius and Hardy and the rest of them.

I'm an original STH and have watched him since he took over for Beuerlein. Again, he was terrific for a couple of years and pretty good for a couple of others. Pre knee-injury he was a limited but athletic run-first QB. Later he developed into a better pocket passer. At his peak in '99 he was a top 5 pocket passer and had a couple of great pro-bowl appearances. By 2001, his best days were behind him. None of that is meant to knock the guy, I think he was a quintessential Jaguar in many ways and is still our best QB (at least for now). By the way, being top of second tier is no knock. There are a lot of fine players on that tier from Hardy to McCardell to Brackens to Searcy to Henderson and Stroud. I might put Kyle Brady on that list too. I'm just saying if you put Mark on Rushmore you really got to put those guys up there too and before long it starts to lose any real meaning.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(This post was last modified: 06-11-2021, 06:09 PM by RicoTx.)

(06-11-2021, 05:06 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote:
(06-10-2021, 09:02 AM)MarleyJag Wrote: I don't know if we have a fourth guy but if we do, I'd probably go with MJD. Mark was a very good player. He was probably at the top of that second tier of players but the fact that he's been the best QB in our history is more a condemnation of the franchise than an indication he was a Mt Rushmore kind of player.

He had more INTs than TD passed in 1996.  Including a 5 INT game.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]