Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: Urban Meyer Approval?
This poll is closed.
He is the man. I'm bought in.
29.51%
36 29.51%
He should do well, but no NFL experience. We'll see.
31.15%
38 31.15%
I want to like him, but he's made a few head scratching moves.
16.39%
20 16.39%
He's making bad decisions. I'm skeptical.
12.30%
15 12.30%
He's going to ruin this franchise.
5.74%
7 5.74%
Corn
3.28%
4 3.28%
Blank #2
1.64%
2 1.64%
Total 122 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

The Big Urban Meyer Approval Rating Thread

Skeptical. I did not want him as a coach, but within the typical scope of coaching he is probably fine.

I am much more concerned about the personnel choices he is making. There is a reason that nearly all top tier organizations separate those functions. Giving this level of control to a rookie head coach is a recipe for problems.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 06-10-2021, 09:06 PM by surfon.)

I am in. Come on man Urban has to excite you a lot more than gus freaking sprinkles bradley, doug baloney maroney, and mike full of mularkey. I mean get real. I know it might not work out as i would like to think, but i cant help but think more and more that it might work out and we can have a bellicheck/brady thing happen here. Why not.

So far, very skeptical. I do very much like that he has demanded the best for the players and facility upgrades. I like a few of the coaching hires and FA/draft picks. I think Cullen is going to make watching this defense very exciting, and Marvin Jones was one of the better FA signings leaguewide.

But all in all, I haven't agreed with much. I think the coaching staff was pretty underwhelming. Keeping Warhop was terrible and giving Cam $14M was almost as bad. Thought the quantity over quality FA and bizarre day 1 prioritization of special teams players over guys that we REALLY could have used like Jonnu, Henry, Lawson, and Johnson III was really bad. And as Jonnu said there was another team that wanted him too, but he chose the Patriots because they made him feel like he was their #1 priority. It wouldn't surprise me if we were that team (Dilla said we had high interest) and we didn't get him because Urban was flirting with his beloved special teamers and we wound up with Agnew and Rudy Ford instead of Jonnu.

I think the draft was underwhelming too. RB in the 1st round is a major nono, and I bet if they were honest after seeing Viska's growth/emergence so far they wish they could take a mulligan and go with Barmore/Moehrig/Moore/etc.

(06-10-2021, 01:22 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Much of this has been hashed out in other threads, but it is an ongoing dialogue that needs a home IMO. 
So here we are. 

Lots of opinions on Meyer out there. Many skeptical takes floating about while many fans are bought in before a single snap is taken. 

How do you feel about him now with Training Camp right around the corner? 

https://twitter.com/1010XL/status/1402708127640915975?s=20
https://twitter.com/1010XL/status/140300...90528?s=20
Frangie is a buffoon.

(06-10-2021, 09:51 PM)Rockman1966 Wrote:
(06-10-2021, 01:22 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Much of this has been hashed out in other threads, but it is an ongoing dialogue that needs a home IMO. 
So here we are. 

Lots of opinions on Meyer out there. Many skeptical takes floating about while many fans are bought in before a single snap is taken. 

How do you feel about him now with Training Camp right around the corner? 
Frangie is a buffoon.

LOL

I can't imagine how Carlyon must feel sitting in that room with him sometimes when he goes off on a 12 minute nonsensical tangent with 63 digressions.

I’m sold on him. Let’s give him 4 years and see what happens.

We dont know how things will play out, but it's nice to be excited and having some thing to look forward to after the last 3 head coaches.

(This post was last modified: 06-12-2021, 04:29 AM by TLawIsEnforced.)

(06-10-2021, 06:49 PM)Ronster Wrote: Paul Spicer has been poo pooing all over Jacksonville today.
Smart guy!

Somewhere between 1&2. 

I’m cautiously optimistic. I’ve been blindly putting on my teal homer shades and drinking the koolaid only to  let every time, except one, in the last decade and half. 

What is one more going to hurt.

Skepticism is the only realistic approach to this. With the absence of a win/loss record to judge, hearing if senior players buy in to what Meyer is selling would go a long ways towards confidence in the team’s prospects.

The Meyer that won 2 Natty’s at UF never smiled

If Meyer can win a SB or two, I will be ok with him quitting on us.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

I'm around 3.5 on this list. I do want to like him and see him successful here, but practically every move this offseason outside of R1 P1 of the draft has done nothing to instill confidence. I've been wrong many a time in my [mumblemumble] years, and I will probably be wrong again. I hope that in Meyer's case, he proves the skepticisim wrong.

Until he does though, I can't run around shouting his praises from the rooftop.

(06-11-2021, 08:53 AM)Mikey Wrote: I'm around 3.5 on this list. I do want to like him and see him successful here, but practically every move this offseason outside of R1 P1 of the draft has done nothing to instill confidence. I've been wrong many a time in my [mumblemumble] years, and I will probably be wrong again. I hope that in Meyer's case, he proves the skepticisim wrong.

Until he does though, I can't run around shouting his praises from the rooftop.

I'm the same but more skeptical that he can overcome the issues, especially if he is incapable of delegation on the sidelines.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Urban Meyer was not my choice.

That said, I'd give him a B for now.

He has made some mistakes. Bringing in the strength coach from Iowa and bringing in Tebow were two missteps, but both could be overcome. I'm also not thrilled with the switch to the 3-4, but again, that is something that can work.

But I think the most underrated thing in his favor right now is his overall change of the paradigm here.

I find it striking that he would come in and push so strongly for new and improved facilities. I remember when Khan first revamped the locker rooms, etc. The changes were touted as making the Jaguars facilities among the league's best. I don't know if those initial claims were overstated/exaggerated or the league has basically passed them since then, but the team's facilities, including the weight areas, the nutrition, etc., should not be among the league's worst, but listening to the analysts discussing the changes after the fact lets me know the team may not have invested enough in them. I am also left to wonder what the team was doing in terms of strength and conditioning. How is it that UM can immediately come in and Chark could add 7 pounds worth of muscle and actually get faster? What was it the previous administrations were not doing? I've also heard the players say the food and nutrition is better now than it has been. How much of a disadvantage has that put the team in over the years? Did it make players perform not as well on the field? Did players NOT want to come here in part because of this, or were things of this nature contributing factors in players not wanting to stay here?

Ultimately I don't know whether UM will be successful as the Jaguars coach. But so far, these changes he has implemented are encourage and in any analysis of UM at this early stage have to go towards giving him the benefit of the doubt early on.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Better than the other guys who got a job this offseason imo.

I still disapprove of Shad for hiring him with so many better candidates available, but I don't hold it against Urban personally. I can't approve or disapprove of his NFL coaching until I see it.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

The first 70 responses on this poll gave us a 3.62 Mean, so the poll seems to show a B- overall so far.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(06-11-2021, 09:14 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: The first 70 responses on this poll gave us a 3.62 Mean, so the poll seems to show a B- overall so far.

But is this an Honors or AP class?

(06-11-2021, 09:17 PM)rpr52121 Wrote:
(06-11-2021, 09:14 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: The first 70 responses on this poll gave us a 3.62 Mean, so the poll seems to show a B- overall so far.

But is this an Honors or AP class?

This is an Introduction to Armchair General Management 101 course. I usually just call it "GM'ing for Dummies" though.