Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Handmaiden tale on hulu

Has anyone seen this program? Honest question is this what liberals think conservatives or fundamentalist want or advocate? 

I’m watching this program and by the end of episode one I’m telling my wife ok obvious liberal slant but it’s interesting enough to keep watching. I’m used to the bad guy being a right wing tyrant that’s not new. But as the story unfolds I’m thinking does anyone really believe that as a conservative I want control over women’s body to the point of forced rape and forced surrogacy? Or that fundamentalist would condemn gays to death? That we would if given the chance outlaw female ownership of property and the ability to work? 

Please tell me we have not done such a piss poor job articulating our message this is the perception modern day liberalism really has of conservative principles?
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Yes it is. Because the long ago won the culture war, the Left is essentially contending with fever dreams of its own rather than contemplating genuine moral challenges.

But Handmsids Tale is an extreme example. It is a critique of any notion the childbearing should even enter one's mind when establishing the basic assumptions of society.

That are just as blind to the ramifications if their own worldview.

I got through almost a full episode last year. Not my cup of cyanide..

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

In the series, isn't there some disease out there that makes most women infertile?
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(This post was last modified: 06-12-2021, 09:13 AM by The Real Marty.)

(06-12-2021, 05:17 AM)EricC85 Wrote: Has anyone seen this program? Honest question is this what liberals think conservatives or fundamentalist want or advocate? 

I’m watching this program and by the end of episode one I’m telling my wife ok obvious liberal slant but it’s interesting enough to keep watching. I’m used to the bad guy being a right wing tyrant that’s not new. But as the story unfolds I’m thinking does anyone really believe that as a conservative I want control over women’s body to the point of forced rape and forced surrogacy? Or that fundamentalist would condemn gays to death? That we would if given the chance outlaw female ownership of property and the ability to work? 

Please tell me we have not done such a piss poor job articulating our message this is the perception modern day liberalism really has of conservative principles?

You actually think that "we should not enslave women for the sole purpose of reproduction" is a liberal slant?  Seriously?

(06-12-2021, 05:17 AM)EricC85 Wrote: Has anyone seen this program? Honest question is this what liberals think conservatives or fundamentalist want or advocate? 

LOL

Handmaids Tale was written in 1984 by an author who, at that time,  focused on dystopian fiction. 

It is a cautionary tale about the separation of church and state.

edit:

nonetheless, with conservative policymakers at the state and federal level constantly seeking to limit a woman's ability to make her own decisions about pregnancy, it's not difficult to see why some conservatives are triggered by the show.

I'm sure the producers and directors of the series  utilized the story's parallels with the  current surge of conservative nationalism,  increased militia involvement and activity, and the authoritarian rhetoric spewed by certain current and former politicians. 

Thinking "this is how liberals view conservatism" is way off base though.

(This post was last modified: 06-12-2021, 07:09 PM by Race Bannon.)

(06-12-2021, 09:12 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:

You actually think that "we should not enslave women for the sole purpose of reproduction" is a liberal slant?  Seriously?

No, that's a terrible take.  The point is that the show would present that as a legit threat, something to raise awareness about (in a literary sense).

So that you can get a better grasp if the point, an analogy:  if a show depicted a bunch if marauding black people killing whites, you might question the worldview of the author.  If you did, imagine some bright bulb saying "Oh, you actually think that "we should not murder whites" is is a racist slant? "

That's what you did.  You are that guy.

[quote="NYC4"j

nonetheless, with conservative policymakers at the state and federal level constantly seeking to limit a woman's ability to make her own decisions about pregnancy, it's not difficult to see why some conservatives are triggered by the show.

[/quote]

I've listened to quite  a few NPR shows and left wing podcasts celebrating the show in precisely those terms.  This is not seeing ghosts,  this is as plain as dat.

Deleted.   Started editing and created an irredeemable mess.

(06-12-2021, 07:06 PM)Race Bannon Wrote: Deleted.   Started editing and created an irredeemable mess.

Reads like the punch line to an abortion joke.

(06-12-2021, 07:06 PM)Race Bannon Wrote: Deleted.   Started editing and created an irredeemable mess.

I just need you to proofread your words before you post them, mmmkay?

I don't know that typical democrats see conservative republicans that way but the progressive left certainly seems to. They're being taught that ideology in college at the very least.

Does anyone actually know of any progressives who aren't college grads? Or currently attending? It's a scary thought that most people graduating college are potentially progressives. And with the rate that this crazy mindset is being brought into elementary and high schools in the next generation or so this country is going to be in trouble as a whole.

(06-12-2021, 06:59 PM)Race Bannon Wrote: [quote='The Real Marty' pid='1384125' dateline='1623503555']

No, that's a terrible take.  The point is that the show would …

NYC4j

[/quote Wrote:
I've listened to quite  a few NPR shows and left wing podcasts celebrating the show in precisely those terms.  This is not seeing ghosts,  this is as plain as dat.

Please provide me with a link to any one of your “quite a few” pods or shows that celebrate the show as  “how liberals view conservatism.” Or is your reply attempting to imply some other celebration? You weren’t specific.

(This post was last modified: 06-13-2021, 03:39 PM by mikesez.)

It's pretty clear to me the show is taking the book out of context.
In the books, most women are infertile due to a plague.
The books weren't saying that this enslavement of women was a product of any political ideology. The political ideology is there, yes, but it's not the prime mover. The prime mover is the plague. And I have trouble imagining any society or ideology reacting well to suddenly losing half the fertile women or more.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(06-13-2021, 03:38 PM)mikesez Wrote: It's pretty clear to me the show is taking the book out of context.
In the books, most women are infertile due to a plague.
The books weren't saying that this enslavement of women was a product of any political ideology.  The political ideology is there, yes, but it's not the prime mover.  The prime mover is the plague.  And I have trouble imagining any society reacting well to half or more of women suddenly becoming sterile.

An outbreak of widespread infertility is also integral to the the plot n the series. The show even brings to light that the zealots blame the infertility on the sins of women while modern science in what remains of free America is finding it to stem from initially from men in their ongoing research. They may not focus on it for any length of time. But it is clear and obvious.

The political ideology you keep referring to is much more a religious zealotry - or at the very least a political ideology wearing the cloak of religion.