Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Please help

(This post was last modified: 06-13-2021, 02:32 PM by JagFanatic24.)

I never thought I would be asking for this type of help on a NFL Football Team’s forum, but I’m going to give it a try.

I need a good mechanic. I don’t want to take it to a shop and pay $8500 for repairs for a car that’s worth about $700. I got a bad head gasket. It’s a 1997 grand marquis with the 4.6 V8.

I have 3 cars so it’s not something I need rushed. I bought this car for $600 about 3 years ago and I used it to drive back and forth to work. It’s got 253,000 miles on it.

Here’s my goal - I want to LS swap it, or put a mustang engine in it.

Anyone here want to turn wrenches on it? I would also be happy if someone fixes the engine currently in it. I have the tools to fix it myself but I flat out don’t feel like messing with it.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

So just so I'm clear on this.  You want someone to put the time and effort into working on a 20+ year old car with over 250,000 miles on it?  Good luck.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

For $8,600 I'm in.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

There's an app on google play called Thumbtack.. Basically it's an app that connects you with local contractors and handymen. Could try there..

My cousin finds work on there, but he does mostly tree work and carpentry..

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

(06-13-2021, 02:32 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: I never thought I would be asking for this type of help on a NFL Football Team’s forum, but I’m going to give it a try.

I need a good mechanic. I don’t want to take it to a shop and pay $8500 for repairs for a car that’s worth about $700. I got a bad head gasket. It’s a 1997 grand marquis with the 4.6 V8.

I have 3 cars so it’s not something I need rushed. I bought this car for $600 about 3 years ago and I used it to drive back and forth to work. It’s got 253,000 miles on it.

Here’s my goal - I want to LS swap it, or put a mustang engine in it.

Anyone here want to turn wrenches on it? I would also be happy if someone fixes the engine currently in it. I have the tools to fix it myself but I flat out don’t feel like messing with it.

A salvaged motor that will fit your mounts and bell housing + a shade tree mechanic in need of funds are probably your best bets here, but I’m not sure you’ll find either here.

I’m definitely looking for a shade tree mechanic. I was being sarcastic about the cost of repairs at a shop. If anyone knows someone that can turn wrenches for side jobs lmk.

Thanks wingerdinger I’ll try it. jagibelieve to answer your question, yes.

I’m not a shade tree mechanic. But I can be a shady mechanic. I’ll take your money.

Well doing your head gasket is the most realistic path forward however no one is going to do that in the driveway. Once removed you have to take them to the machine shop to mill down and pressure test. If you have three cars my advice is junk it, it’s lived it’s life. Even if you fix the heads at 250,000 miles your probably going to blow a bottom seal since you’ll have full pressure on top. I wouldn’t even do that repair if you walked into my shop I’d tell you to junk it straight up. And it’s about $3600 job no where near $8,000.

Why the hell do want to LS swap a grand marquis? Just no don’t do that…..
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

(06-22-2021, 09:04 AM)EricC85 Wrote: Well doing your head gasket is the most realistic path forward however no one is going to do that in the driveway. Once removed you have to take them to the machine shop to mill down and pressure test. If you have three cars my advice is junk it, it’s lived it’s  see. Even if you fix the heads at 250,000 miles your probably going to blow a bottom seal since you’ll have full pressure on top. I wouldn’t even do that repair if you walked into my shop I’d tell you to junk it straight up. And it’s about $3600 job no where near $8,000.

Why the hell do want to LS swap a grand marquis? Just no don’t do that…..

Everything he says is correct.

Fallow his advice.
s
;

;

(06-22-2021, 09:04 AM)EricC85 Wrote: Why the hell do want to LS swap a grand marquis? Just no don’t do that…..
'Cause Fords suck? Laughing
[Image: Jason-The-Good-Place-Jaguars.png?w=472]

It seems that you really like this car. My advice, since you have the tools is to do your homework and perform the repairs yourself. If not, bite the bullet and have the entire engine overhauled. Trust me, both scenarios will be worth it for your Old School.

NH3...
"AZANE"