Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Luke Farrell could climb to top of depth chart..

(This post was last modified: 06-21-2021, 09:32 AM by RicoTx.)

(06-21-2021, 08:46 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(06-20-2021, 02:57 PM)Dimson Wrote: How's a real team going to keep him uninjured and off the IR?

It's quite possible that better coaching improves his physical conditioning. It's also possible that his new QB won't lead him into career ending collisions

Yeah, watching Foles hanging him out to dry was sad.  I was surprised his back wasn't hurt worse.  I know this is old, but getting rid of him was a head-scratcher to me given our inadequacies at the TE position and the fact the he was already under contract.

Basically, if the Ravens cut him it's the same as if we cut him.  We get nothing.  If he makes the team we get a sixth-round pick, and in that case he was worth more than that sixth-round pick.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(06-21-2021, 09:31 AM)RicoTx Wrote:
(06-21-2021, 08:46 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: It's quite possible that better coaching improves his physical conditioning. It's also possible that his new QB won't lead him into career ending collisions

Yeah, watching Foles hanging him out to dry was sad.  I was surprised his back wasn't hurt worse.  I know this is old, but getting rid of him was a head-scratcher to me given our inadequacies at the TE position and the fact the he was already under contract.

Basically, if the Ravens cut him it's the same as if we cut him.  We get nothing.  If he makes the team we get a sixth-round pick, and in that case he was worth more than that sixth-round pick.

I thought so too, he's got skills, he just hit a run of bad injury luck. Kind of lack Zach Miller that way.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 06-21-2021, 10:56 AM by rpr52121.)

So here is a schematic question. I know ideally, we want a very good move TE; but it is too late for that now.

But in a typical offense without an elite deep threat TE, don't the TE and the "quick-release" slot receiver kind of serve the same purpose:
- release valve/hot throw on blitzes
- finding holes in zone.
- Moving the chains.

Can't the assortment of WR's on the team with Jones, Shenalt and Johnson be used to achieve those same goals?

(06-21-2021, 10:47 AM)rpr52121 Wrote: So here is a schematic question. I know ideally, we want a very good move TE; but it is too late for that now.

But in a typical offense without an elite deep threat TE, don't the TE and the "quick-release" slot receiver kind of serve the same purpose:
- finding holes in zone.
- Moving the chains.

Can't the assortment of WR's on the team with Jones, Shenalt and Johnson be used to achieve those same goals?

Yes, 3 receiver sets can compensate for the lack of a tight end, but then you also can't really run out of those alignments and the personnel grouping tips your hand. Tight End is in? They running. 3 Wide? Here comes the pass.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(06-21-2021, 11:12 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(06-21-2021, 10:47 AM)rpr52121 Wrote: So here is a schematic question. I know ideally, we want a very good move TE; but it is too late for that now.

- finding holes in zone.
- Moving the chains.

Yes, 3 receiver sets can compensate for the lack of a tight end, but then you also can't really run out of those alignments and the personnel grouping tips your hand. Tight End is in? They running. 3 Wide? Here comes the pass.

Historically, yes but Both CJ and Shenault are big WR that can could be good blockers. Plus if the defense adjusts for passing set, they are likely running Nickel which takes a LB off the field. I doubt we have too many 2 TE sets; probably mostly 1 TE.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

- finding holes in zone.
- Moving the chains.

Yes. 

Especially in the red zone. Not a big deal to have one of your bigger receivers lined up where the "F" would be if you had one (besides "OShaughnessy) 

You just sacrifice some blocking and the ability to be "multiple" to some degree when not in RZ, but you can still utilize the F routes with other receivers as long as they can throw a block here and there.

I don't care where the mis-matches come from, as long as we make them happen. And if we can't get hold of one of the tight end unicorns that present a receiving mismatch every time they step on the field, then they better know how to block. I like our TE additions of Manhertz and Farrell. Any receptions they get will be gravy.