Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Just Desserts

Paychecks Cancelled: After Stopping TX Election Integrity Bill, Dem Lawmakers Learn Gov. Abbott Just Vetoed Their Salaries

Want to stop governing in order to stop a bill? In Texas, that’ll stop you from getting paid.

On Friday, Texas Republican Gov. Greg Abbott vetoed funding for the Texas Legislature after the state House Democratic caucus walked out to avoid a vote on an election integrity bill late last month. The move, first reported by the Texas Tribune, would pause all funding for the legislature, its staffers and its agencies.

https://www.westernjournal.com/paychecks...n=topdaily
Me sarcastic? No couldn't be. I am much too dim witted to grasp the quaint subtleties of such potent mockery!!!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

The Republican legislators aren't getting paid either.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(06-20-2021, 08:45 AM)mikesez Wrote: The Republican legislators aren't getting paid either.

Good.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(06-20-2021, 08:45 AM)mikesez Wrote: The Republican legislators aren't getting paid either.
He couldn't discriminate. Need to put in law that if you aren't present you forfeit pay and if they can't proceed, all additional expenses for the special session have to be paid for by the absent members.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

So the question is which party can "supplement" their politicians the longest.

I'm pretty sure it's SOP in the real world to not pay people who don't show up to work. Why should politicians be treated differently? It's too bad those on either side who did show up to work also don't get paid, but it makes for an opportunity to amend the verbiage saying those who choose to not do their job/show up for work don't get paid and those who do show up will. Pretty simple.

(06-21-2021, 02:26 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: I'm pretty sure it's SOP in the real world to not pay people who don't show up to work. Why should politicians be treated differently? It's too bad those on either side who did show up to work also don't get paid, but it makes for an opportunity to amend the verbiage saying those who choose to not do their job/show up for work don't get paid and those who do show up will. Pretty simple.

They are salaried so hours don't really matter. They aren't paid for hours and generally there are no hard requirements that you show up. As long as the company is happy with your results, you could work as little or as much hours as needed. Now most companies will require you work at least 40 hours but you aren't really being paid for those hours.

I would make it where if you don't show up/clock in at the government building and/or you miss a vote then you don't get paid and get fined. Then someone has to cover the special session costs.

(06-21-2021, 02:26 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: I'm pretty sure it's SOP in the real world to not pay people who don't show up to work. Why should politicians be treated differently? It's too bad those on either side who did show up to work also don't get paid, but it makes for an opportunity to amend the verbiage saying those who choose to not do their job/show up for work don't get paid and those who do show up will. Pretty simple.

I disagree.  They can't do the right thing (their job) then they shouldn't get paid.

I would love to see more governors do the right thing like Governor Abbott and start hitting these career politicians where it counts... right in the wallet.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(06-21-2021, 05:07 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:

I disagree.  They can't do the right thing (their job) then they shouldn't get paid.

I would love to see more governors do the right thing like Governor Abbott and start hitting these career politicians where it counts... right in the wallet.

Their wallet is nothing, they get paid very little. You can't easily stop the money in all the bills that get funneled into programs and then disappear into cash or to companies the politicians control. Then you have book deals and other ways to launder money.

(This post was last modified: 06-21-2021, 06:56 PM by americus 2.0.)

(06-21-2021, 05:07 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:

I think we're saying the same thing.

(06-21-2021, 03:36 PM)p_rushing Wrote:

They are salaried so hours don't really matter. They aren't paid for hours and generally there are no hard requirements that you show up. As long as the company is happy with your results, you could work as little or as much hours as needed. Now most companies will require you work at least 40 hours but you aren't really being paid for those hours.

I would make it where if you don't show up/clock in at the government building and/or you miss a vote then you don't get paid and get fined. Then someone has to cover the special session costs.

I don't care if they get paid in lap dances. If they don't do their job and/or can't be bothered to show up then they shouldn't get paid. If they make such a small amount that docking their pay doesn't make them blink then they can damn well volunteer.