Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
NCAA let's players earn money !

Well, after a setback by the Supreme Court last week and just before many States laws begin the NCAA have now said the below.

The N.C.A.A. Board of Governors, weary from increased attacks in legislatures and courthouses and from the public, announced Wednesday that it would support rule changes allowing athletes to earn money from the use of their names, images and likenesses. But the deals would have to come from third parties so that athletes could not be considered university employees.

Now this is a fine kettle of fish. I can only guess after the latest court setback along with the court mentioning their organization should tread lightly as it most probably is in violation of the law existing finally forced their hand. This will forever change college sports and maybe even High School.  On the surface I can see the larger schools benefiting greatly by this change.  Who knows in time we could see a revial of even the Ivey league school teams? What do you think?
A new broom always sweeps clean.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(07-01-2021, 10:29 PM)Jag149 Wrote: Well, after a setback by the Supreme Court last week and just before many States laws begin the NCAA have now said the below.

The N.C.A.A. Board of Governors, weary from increased attacks in legislatures and courthouses and from the public, announced Wednesday that it would support rule changes allowing athletes to earn money from the use of their names, images and likenesses. But the deals would have to come from third parties so that athletes could not be considered university employees.

Now this is a fine kettle of fish. I can only guess after the latest court setback along with the court mentioning their organization should tread lightly as it most probably is in violation of the law existing finally forced their hand. This will forever change college sports and maybe even High School.  On the surface I can see the larger schools benefiting greatly by this change.  Who knows in time we could see a revial of even the Ivey league school teams? What do you think?

It's not going to change a thing, and you know why?  All this does is take all that under the table money the players were getting, and legalizing it.  Only a very naive person would think the players are not getting paid already.  So now, they can get paid in the open.  That's all.

They didn't let anything. They just got tired of getting their butts handed to them in court.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(This post was last modified: 07-30-2021, 08:46 AM by homebiscuit. Edited 1 time in total.)

And so it begins: Report: Quinn Ewers leaning towards skipping senior year of high school and enrolling at Ohio State this year (yahoo.com)

Now the question is whether these players should also receive scholarships or be forced to pay tuition all or in part.

Also, does this mean college sports will now fall under the purview of the legal and financial reporting requirements of professional sports?

(07-30-2021, 08:41 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: And so it begins: Report: Quinn Ewers leaning towards skipping senior year of high school and enrolling at Ohio State this year (yahoo.com)

Now the question is whether these players should also receive scholarships or be forced to pay tuition all or in part.

Also, does this mean college sports will now fall under the purview of the legal and financial reporting requirements of professional sports?

Great question, but since the school is not paying the player they are off the hook and the player should be responsible. Another issue is a booster from a school could pay enough that a player would play for the school without a scholarship. That could be used to bypass current scholarship limits placed on schools?
A new broom always sweeps clean.

(08-02-2021, 09:16 PM)Jag149 Wrote:
(07-30-2021, 08:41 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: And so it begins: Report: Quinn Ewers leaning towards skipping senior year of high school and enrolling at Ohio State this year (yahoo.com)

Great question, but since the school is not paying the player they are off the hook and the player should be responsible. Another issue is a booster from a school could pay enough that a player would play for the school without a scholarship. That could be used to bypass current scholarship limits placed on schools?

Worse, what if the boosters spend all their funds on sponsoring/hiring players, and stop donating to the schools? There go the other schollies, stadium renovations, etc.

If one is subject to public disclosure (by the recipient university) and one not, I could see a number of boosters shifting where their dollars go.

This is long over due. It is going to be great for all college athletes.

(08-18-2021, 11:04 AM)Dimson Wrote: This is long over due. It is going to be great for all some college athletes.

Fixed it for you.
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

(08-18-2021, 11:08 AM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote:
(08-18-2021, 11:04 AM)Dimson Wrote: This is long over due. It is going to be great for all some college athletes.

Fixed it for you.

It is great for all of them. All levels are able to get sponsors and all sports are able to get sponsors.

(08-18-2021, 11:12 AM)Dimson Wrote:
(08-18-2021, 11:08 AM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote: Fixed it for you.

It is great for all of them. All levels are able to get sponsors and all sports are able to get sponsors.

So you're saying it's good for bottom of the roster guys, too?
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(08-18-2021, 11:58 AM)RicoTx Wrote:
(08-18-2021, 11:12 AM)Dimson Wrote: It is great for all of them. All levels are able to get sponsors and all sports are able to get sponsors.

100%

There’s a guy who’s average on Maryland’s basketball team who has several sponsors. It’s not all about your skill level but more so your likability.

(08-18-2021, 11:58 AM)RicoTx Wrote:
(08-18-2021, 11:12 AM)Dimson Wrote: It is great for all of them. All levels are able to get sponsors and all sports are able to get sponsors.

Yes. Just look at BYU. They just got a sponsorship where their walk ons will have their scholarships paid for during the season. That is huge. Also, many of the deals are team or school deals so every player gets a cut. Of course the stars are going to get bigger paydays but the other players will benefit as well.

(08-18-2021, 11:12 AM)Dimson Wrote:
(08-18-2021, 11:08 AM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote: Fixed it for you.

When we see golf team and women's field hockey players bringing in 7-figure deals, I'll be happy to agree with this.

Till then, though, this is just a case of the rich getting richer. My alma mater is in SE Ohio. I can promise you that we aren't going to be able to recruit any better because the local Ford dealer offers the star player a couple grand to do an ad. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if that local dealer doesn't try to get a Buckeye in the ad and convince Columbusfolk to venture down US 33 to find their new car.

The big schools will get the big deals. They'll keep getting the big players and the players who are drawn to making the quick buck. The lesser schools will have to fight and scrape all the more to try to keep up, and their job is likely harder today than it was two years ago, even.

(08-18-2021, 12:55 PM)Mikey Wrote:

When we see golf team and women's field hockey players bringing in 7-figure deals, I'll be happy to agree with this.

Till then, though, this is just a case of the rich getting richer. My alma mater is in SE Ohio. I can promise you that we aren't going to be able to recruit any better because the local Ford dealer offers the star player a couple grand to do an ad. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if that local dealer doesn't try to get a Buckeye in the ad and convince Columbusfolk to venture down US 33 to find their new car.

The big schools will get the big deals. They'll keep getting the big players and the players who are drawn to making the quick buck. The lesser schools will have to fight and scrape all the more to try to keep up, and their job is likely harder today than it was two years ago, even.

Waaaaaaaahhhhh. That is all I hear. The smaller schools will still get deals and the type of player they were going to get won't change. The players deserve to be paid. These universities make money off them playing and they should be paid like any other professional athlete.

(08-18-2021, 01:04 PM)Dimson Wrote:
(08-18-2021, 12:55 PM)Mikey Wrote: When we see golf team and women's field hockey players bringing in 7-figure deals, I'll be happy to agree with this.

Waaaaaaaahhhhh. That is all I hear. The smaller schools will still get deals and the type of player they were going to get won't change. The players deserve to be paid. These universities make money off them playing and they should be paid like any other professional athlete.

Yes, the players deserve to get paid.  They've been getting paid.  All this does is "legalize" it.   So instead of a booster giving a player money in a brown paper bag, in secret, now he signs him up to do a commercial.   So what's new about it?  Nothing, except that it's now "legal."

(08-18-2021, 01:11 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(08-18-2021, 01:04 PM)Dimson Wrote: Waaaaaaaahhhhh. That is all I hear. The smaller schools will still get deals and the type of player they were going to get won't change. The players deserve to be paid. These universities make money off them playing and they should be paid like any other professional athlete.

Yes, the players deserve to get paid.  They've been getting paid.  All this does is "legalize" it.   So instead of a booster giving a player money in a brown paper bag, in secret, now he signs him up to do a commercial.   So what's new about it?  Nothing, except that it's now "legal."

Oh so whole teams were getting money under the table? This isn't just about the individual, it is about teams as well. Many of the deals you are hearing about are for whole teams and not just individual players.

(08-18-2021, 01:39 PM)Dimson Wrote:
(08-18-2021, 01:11 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: Yes, the players deserve to get paid.  They've been getting paid.  All this does is "legalize" it.   So instead of a booster giving a player money in a brown paper bag, in secret, now he signs him up to do a commercial.   So what's new about it?  Nothing, except that it's now "legal."

Oh so whole teams were getting money under the table? This isn't just about the individual, it is about teams as well. Many of the deals you are hearing about are for whole teams and not just individual players.

Players were already getting paid under the table.   This just legalizes it.   If they're now able to pay the whole team, so what?  It's the same thing.  Players getting paid.  Nothing really new about it.  They just don't have to hide it any more.

(08-18-2021, 12:55 PM)Mikey Wrote: When we see golf team and women's field hockey players bringing in 7-figure deals, I'll be happy to agree with this.

Women's gymnast Olivia Dunne is actually expected to break the record for NIL, if she hasn't arleady I haven't really kept up.