Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Olympics 2021

(This post was last modified: 07-27-2021, 01:32 PM by TrivialPursuit.)

(07-27-2021, 12:31 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(07-27-2021, 10:38 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: The judges suck. ROC does simple stuff and still mess some stuff up - they get 14.6... Grace does well, messed up a little, gets a 13-something.

Judges, as always, are anti-American

Popovich is just another pawn of the CCP. He's an Idiot.

Well, when Grace goes in with a full point lower difficulty it doesn't matter if they both "mess up", the routine was easier and the score will be lower.

I thought difficulty didn't matter because Simone Biles used such high difficulty ratings the IOC decided difficulty wouldn't be factor?
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/24/sport...-pike.html

Doesn't matter that she sucked this Olympics... these people are so unfair it's ridiculous.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(07-27-2021, 01:31 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(07-27-2021, 12:31 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Well, when Grace goes in with a full point lower difficulty it doesn't matter if they both "mess up", the routine was easier and the score will be lower.

I thought difficulty didn't matter because Simone Biles used such high difficulty ratings the IOC decided difficulty wouldn't be factor?
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/24/sport...-pike.html

Doesn't matter that she sucked this Olympics... these people are so unfair it's ridiculous.

They capped the difficulty by making Biles's really hard vaults the same difficulty score as lesser vaults, but it's still Difficulty + Execution = Score, so a girl with a 5.5 difficulty attempt is at a disadvantage to one performing a 6.0 attempt right from the start.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Simone pulls out of the competition because of "mental health"..

I don't understand why the media keeps calling her the goat.. she wasn't even the best on her own team.

Goats don't pull out of competition because of mental health..

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

(07-27-2021, 09:30 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: Simone pulls out of the competition because of "mental health"..

I don't understand why the media keeps calling her the goat.. she wasn't even the best on her own team.

I just can't imagine Michael Jordan or Tom Brady sitting out Game 7 or the Super Bowl.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(07-27-2021, 10:07 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(07-27-2021, 09:30 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: Simone pulls out of the competition because of "mental health"..

I just can't imagine Michael Jordan or Tom Brady sitting out Game 7 or the Super Bowl.

"Winners never quit and quitters never win."

Vince Lombardi
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

(This post was last modified: 07-28-2021, 02:13 AM by HandsomeRob86.)

If she comes back and competes they will pump her narrative, but if she stays dropped out they will turn on her, just wait. It will take a little longer, but nothing is more American than calling someone a ‘quitter.’

Also, who else is basically ignoring the olympics right now? So many other things going on, hard for me to care about spectacle.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

(07-28-2021, 02:11 AM)HandsomeRob86 Wrote: If she comes back and competes they will pump her narrative, but if she stays dropped out they will turn on her, just wait. It will take a little longer, but nothing is more American than calling someone a ‘quitter.’

Also, who else is basically ignoring the olympics right now? So many other things going on, hard for me to care about spectacle.

I haven't watched a single minute.  For me, the entire event started to go downhill when we began sending NBA players.  Whatever happened to "amateur" athletics?  I doubt many of our athletes even know what the Miracle on Ice refers to.  We've become the Soviet Union, all in the pursuit of gold.

Now it is completely commercialized and politicized, to the extent that the actual competitions have become the secondary stories.
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

(07-28-2021, 07:38 AM)Sneakers Wrote:
(07-28-2021, 02:11 AM)HandsomeRob86 Wrote: If she comes back and competes they will pump her narrative, but if she stays dropped out they will turn on her, just wait. It will take a little longer, but nothing is more American than calling someone a ‘quitter.’

I haven't watched a single minute.  For me, the entire event started to go downhill when we began sending NBA players.  Whatever happened to "amateur" athletics?  I doubt many of our athletes even know what the Miracle on Ice refers to.  We've become the Soviet Union, all in the pursuit of gold.

Now it is completely commercialized and politicized, to the extent that the actual competitions have become the secondary stories.

The Olympics were never "amateur", it was America sending college kids to compete against pros from the other countries.

Suni Lee >>>>>>>>>>> Simone Biles

Not even close..

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

The commercial endorsement future of Simon Biles is toast.

(07-29-2021, 01:01 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: The commercial endorsement future of Simon Biles is toast.

"Hi, I'm Simone Biles for Nicoderm. With Nicoderm you'll be able to quit smoking easier than I quit on my team and Country in the Olympics."

(07-29-2021, 01:01 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: The commercial endorsement future of Simon Biles is toast.

Interestingly enough, she just signed a huge deal with Atleta (a Gap owned sportswear brand).  They issued a statement standing behind her.  Personally, they had to do this but I'm most certain their Board members are flipping out about her withdrawal.  I'm sure they pictured tons of 2021 Gold Medals hanging around Biles' neck in August.

Oddly enough, she claims pressure which I'd assume arose from her endorsements and internal pressure.  She's going to get back to the US and question her decision for the rest of her life.   Mary Lou Retton is hanging out somewhere in seclusion, grinning, drinking some champagne, and eating Bonbons with her GOAT t-shirt on.

(07-29-2021, 04:02 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:

Interestingly enough, she just signed a huge deal with Atleta (a Gap owned sportswear brand).  They issued a statement standing behind her.  Personally, they had to do this but I'm most certain their Board members are flipping out about her withdrawal.  I'm sure they pictured tons of 2021 Gold Medals hanging around Biles' neck in August.

Oddly enough, she claims pressure which I'd assume arose from her endorsements and internal pressure.  She's going to get back to the US and question her decision for the rest of her life.   Mary Lou Retton is hanging out somewhere in seclusion, grinning, drinking some champagne, and eating Bonbons with her GOAT t-shirt on.

Discussing this with my wife yesterday, I asked "Could you imagine Mary Lou Retton ever doing something like this?" 

Of course people are going to be supportive of Biles, but the cold hard truth of the matter is being an elite competitor is a two part equation; physical and mental toughness. Choking, or outright withdrawing, nullifies all those years of physical training. Biles has proven herself before, but she chose the worst of all times to drop out. 

I have no doubt the 'feelings' generation will attempt to cancel companies who choose not to renew endorsement contracts with Biles by claiming they are putting profits over mental health.

Perseverance used to be the mark of the true champion.

Well she appears to be suffering from panic attacks. Anyone who has had them would tell you that they ain't no joke. Your life feels in danger at times when its a bad one from what I hear. It does sucks that she stepped back but at least that may have helped her team mate to shine. Something good comes out of some thing bad sometimes

Or maybe not. 

Simone Biles boosts endorsement potential despite Olympics withdrawal | Fox Business

Do the Russians know how to throw down smack talk, or do the Russians know how to throw down smack talk?

American Ryan Murphy sparks doping controversy after Russian swimmers win | Fox News

The Russian Olympic Committee responded on its official Twitter account. 

"How unnerving our victories are of individual colleagues," the ROC wrote, according to the Wall Street Journal. "Yes, we are here at the Olympics. Absolutely right. Whether someone likes it or not."

"The old barrel organ started the song about Russian doping again," it added. "English-language propaganda, oozing verbal sweat in the Tokyo heat. Through the mouths of athletes offended by defeats. We will not console you. Forgive those who are weaker. God is their judge. And for us—an assistant."

(07-30-2021, 09:24 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Do the Russians know how to throw down smack talk, or do the Russians know how to throw down smack talk?

American Ryan Murphy sparks doping controversy after Russian swimmers win | Fox News

The Russian Olympic Committee responded on its official Twitter account. 

"How unnerving our victories are of individual colleagues," the ROC wrote, according to the Wall Street Journal. "Yes, we are here at the Olympics. Absolutely right. Whether someone likes it or not."

"The old barrel organ started the song about Russian doping again," it added. "English-language propaganda, oozing verbal sweat in the Tokyo heat. Through the mouths of athletes offended by defeats. We will not console you. Forgive those who are weaker. God is their judge. And for us—an assistant."

How pathetic a country they must be to feel the need to cheat at the Olympics.. and to use their FSB Intelligence Operatives to do it. Sad.

"Only Russian athlete can tear Achilles and return in 3 months time to win gold medal!"