Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Playing time for new preseason between starters/backups?

(This post was last modified: 07-26-2021, 06:49 PM by Brett.)

In the past with four weeks of preseason, it was usually that Weeks 1-2 consisted of mostly backups playing the majority of the game. Week 3 consisted of mostly the starters playing a majority of the game and Week 4 going back to mostly backups playing majority of the game.

With only three weeks of preseason now, does anyone know how it will be "generally" handled by most teams?

Thanks.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I'd assume it'll still be similar as before, just now the bottom of the roster players get screwed out of that 4th game.

1-3 drives for the starters in game 1. Around a Quarter in game 2 and a half+ in game 3. Starters rarely ever played in the 4th game anyways, so I don't see why it'd change much for them.

What if the 3rd game gets treated like the 4th one would be previously? Then you turn the second game Into the one where you play the starters the most. That's what I was thinking. The first game would remain the same

(This post was last modified: 07-26-2021, 10:44 PM by Jag149.)

(07-26-2021, 07:45 PM)Eric1 Wrote: I'd assume it'll still be similar as before, just now the bottom of the roster players get screwed out of that 4th game.

1-3 drives for the starters in game 1. Around a Quarter in game 2 and a half+ in game 3. Starters rarely ever played in the 4th game anyways, so I don't see why it'd change much for them.

I would agree with this if it was next year.  This year we may see the starters a bit more due to having a new, bright and shiny rookie QB and Minshew. I am assuming they will want to see some type of competition and to do that they must at least appear to be fair. But this IS the Jaguars who knows?
A new broom always sweeps clean.

(07-26-2021, 09:00 PM)Jag88 Wrote: What if the 3rd game gets treated like the 4th one would be previously? Then you turn the second game Into the one where you play the starters the most. That's what I was thinking. The first game would remain the same

There's two weeks between the 3rd preseason game and the season opener this year. I don't think they'll treat the 3rd game like that when usually the turnaround would typically be a week in between the 4th preseason game and opener. I think they'll want to have that 3rd game to prime them for the opener (which would be like normal preseasons), otherwise it would be 3 weeks between the 2nd game and the opener. That would be quite a long down period in playing time for the starters before the opener.

(07-26-2021, 10:43 PM)Jag149 Wrote:
(07-26-2021, 07:45 PM)Eric1 Wrote: I'd assume it'll still be similar as before, just now the bottom of the roster players get screwed out of that 4th game.

I would agree with this if it was next year.  This year we may see the starters a bit more due to having a new, bright and shiny rookie QB and Minshew. I am assuming they will want to see some type of competition and to do that they must at least appear to be fair. But this IS the Jaguars who knows?

I was talking more for the entire league, not so much just the Jags. It'll vary league wide, but you're right about the Jags and other young teams. They'll benefit from getting a few more reps in the preseason and likely will get a few more.

Gonna make it tough for the bubble guys and PS candidates to showcase their talent, but should be similar otherwise.

I'm voting for the idea that the 2d game is now treated like the 3rd game, and the 3rd game is treated like the 4th game. I think the basic "rhythm" will be preserved, it's just that everybody thought there was one too many preseason games. I speculate that the real one that got trimmed was one of the first two games. So now it's (1) first game to dust off the cobwebs; (2) second game where starters play a lot to get in season form; and (3) final game to help decisions on final cuts.

so everyone thinks game three will be the bubble game, where the bottom of the roster dukes it out for a few spots and a chance to make a PS roster somewhere in the league.

How long before we start hearing the same complaints from fans and teams that the game is worthless and that too is culled from the schedule?

Unfortunately the schedule is almost right up against the final cuts deadline. I was thinking that with that extra week between preseason and week one, a savvy pair of teams could meet up for a scrimmage of sorts to get that bottom-of-the-roster time in. Oh well.

It will be handled the same as before. The 4th game was always a waste.

It didn't even seem like a lot of final decisions were riding on it. Guys would ball out and get cut.

Yeah, it definitely appeared that decisions on just about everyone were pretty much a done deal regardless of anything that happened in that 4th game. The only difference now is the bottom of the roster and bubble guys will have less film for their resumes.