Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
A Potentially Big Change to the IR rule

A continuation from last year, actually.

In the past, once a player went to the IR, he was out for the year.

That was a move designed to avoid stashing players on IR as a way of getting around roster limits.

But in recent years it has changed.

The league allowed teams to bring one player off of IR a few years ago.

Because of Covid last year, the league enabled teams to bring an unlimited amount of players off of IR.  They are continuing the practice now.

A good move, I think.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...to-return/

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(08-11-2021, 04:47 AM)Bullseye Wrote: A continuation from last year, actually.

That was a move designed to avoid stashing players on IR as a way of getting around roster limits.

Because of Covid last year, the league enabled teams to bring an unlimited amount of players off of IR.  They are continuing the practice now.

A good move, I think.

I agree. I hate the permanent IR. They should have to be on their for a minimum of X games. Not the whole season unless it is necessary.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(08-12-2021, 12:16 AM)Dimson Wrote:

A good move, I think.

I agree. I hate the permanent IR. They should have to be on their for a minimum of X games. Not the whole season unless it is necessary.

I get the whole stashing thing could be a problem.  but injuries are such a factor, there should be more flexibility.  I think this gives the additional flexibility teams need.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(This post was last modified: 08-12-2021, 08:06 AM by The Real Marty. Edited 1 time in total.)

(08-12-2021, 07:18 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(08-12-2021, 12:16 AM)Dimson Wrote: I agree. I hate the permanent IR. They should have to be on their for a minimum of X games. Not the whole season unless it is necessary.

I get the whole stashing thing could be a problem.  but injuries are such a factor, there should be more flexibility.  I think this gives the additional flexibility teams need.

So now, with a 16-man practice squad, including 4 who can be protected from being signed by other teams, and the flexible IR rules, it begs the question: how many players are there really on an NFL team?   Not 53.   I guess you could say, 53 will make the active roster, 4 more will be on the practice squad but protected, 12 more will be on the practice squad unprotected, and then you can also add the guys will little injuries who are on the temporary IR.   That's a lot more than 53.  

The only snag for a player on the practice squad is that he can only make $8,400 per week.  So if a guy like Tim Tebow gets to the practice squad, since his contract, as I recall, is not guaranteed, he would only be making $8,400 per week.   I wonder if he would want to do that.

Anyone [BLEEP] about making $8400/week needs to shut their piehole. They're on the PS for a reason and should be thankful they're considered good enough to even be on it.

I think the IR flex makes sense right now with Covid running through the country again. Vaccinated or not, players can still test positive so teams need back-up.

The 17 game regular season, on top of playoff expansion that began last season, make roster greater flexibility necessary.

Based on new NFL parameters, including the ongoing COVID-19 situation, the NFL made good decisions with their IR and Practice Squad decisions.

(08-24-2021, 12:20 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: Anyone [BLEEP] about making $8400/week needs to shut their piehole. They're on the PS for a reason and should be thankful they're considered good enough to even be on it.

I think the IR flex makes sense right now with Covid running through the country again. Vaccinated or not, players can still test positive so teams need back-up.

I actually knew a guy who had the opportunity to be on the Bengals practice squad as an OL but ended up deciding not to because he talked to some PS players who told him that they're basically treated like trash sometimes and their bodies are run into the ground with little care from the coaches, at least when compared to the players on the roster.

Not sure how long 8k a week would be worth it.  But it might be.

(08-27-2021, 08:25 AM)JaguarKick Wrote:
(08-24-2021, 12:20 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: Anyone [BLEEP] about making $8400/week needs to shut their piehole. They're on the PS for a reason and should be thankful they're considered good enough to even be on it.

I actually knew a guy who had the opportunity to be on the Bengals practice squad as an OL but ended up deciding not to because he talked to some PS players who told him that they're basically treated like trash sometimes and their bodies are run into the ground with little care from the coaches, at least when compared to the players on the roster.

Not sure how long 8k a week would be worth it.  But it might be.

I totally understand that and that's when you have to do a self cost/benefit analysis to determine whether or not the money is worth it. There are people who bust their tails just as much who don't ever see that kind of money. 

I remember reading a book written by Travis Mills, one of five surviving quadruple amputees who served in Afghanistan, called Tough As They Come. He was describing the physical toll that living in the Afghan climate, not showering on a regular basis and only having MREs to eat took on their bodies. I can only identify with the MREs part from my time in service and that was bad enough. I kept thinking those guys were not getting paid enough for that level of crazy. Even with combat pay. 

So yeah, it's hard to read something like that and try to sympathize with football players who live in relative comfort, can choose what they eat, take daily showers and get paid more in a week than a staff sergeant makes in probably three months.

The roster needs to expand beyond 53.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

A good move, I think.

Awesome, so when we make the super bowl this year, you're telling me we may have ETN back just in time? I jest, but honestly I think it's a good move. If they want 18 reg season games, they have to do something to roster size. This is a step in the right direction.

(This post was last modified: 09-04-2021, 10:36 AM by rpr52121. Edited 1 time in total.)

Do PS players get all the benefits of being an employee of a NFL team? Trainers, nutrition assistance at the facility, health/dentals benefits for them, benefits for dependants, etc? Or is considered like a contractor with just that salary and nothing else?

(This post was last modified: 09-04-2021, 10:34 AM by The Real Marty. Edited 2 times in total.)

Actually, I was wrong.  Practice squad players make $9,200 per week minimum salary unless they have 2 or more years of experience, in which case they make $14,000 a week minimum salary.  Teams are allowed to pay more than that if they want to.   (Practice squad salaries do count against the salary cap.)