Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Minshew Traded (merged)

I like Minshew he can be a great QB if your starting QB goes down. We all know his game is limited but he is still serviceable. Wish him nothing but the best

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(08-29-2021, 12:29 PM)JagsFanSince95 Wrote:
(08-28-2021, 09:21 PM)JagFan81 Wrote: Well said. Ive seen very little mentioned about our historically bad D last season that never gave us chances to win games. There were a few games where Minshew pulled us back to a one score game and the D couldnt get a stop and let the other team go straight down and score. The guy had to put up 35+ points just to have a chance of winning.

Plus seen plenty of we lost 15 games with Minshew when Glennon and Luton started games aswell. 

Minshew was getting hit and under pressure a lot and as the D couldn't stop anything we had to go pass heavy which made us so easy to play against. From what we have seen so far this preseason it looks like Lawrence may be getting more of the same as the D and O-line have struggled.

I've never seen anything like it. The new Jaguars FO comes off as incompetent to me. The moves they've made so far have mostly been head scratchers... You have a QB who can produce in this league... A truly hard thing to come by for any team and we unloaded him. It's not like Josh Rosen where the guy was trash, Minshew can play.

Minshew made lemonade out of lemons in 2019, even to a degree in 2020. What I don't understand is people rationalizing the trade beyond 2 points. We drafted a 1st overall QB and CJ's contract is so poorly done, you had no choice but to keep him or sink a decent amount of change in dead cap. Let's hope we don't find out the hard way what CJ can do in a real game, lol.

Let's look at two stat lines again, Tom Brady and Minshew through 2 years as starter.

31G/30 GS - 637/1014 62.8C% 6607 46/26
23G/20 GS - 501/797 62.9C% 5530 37/11

Tom had play time in 10 more games and had only 9 more TDs with 15 more ints. Mind you, TB12 had a HoF head coach and a lights out defense. It's truly insane to think about. I'm not saying GM is or ever will be at Tom's level, all I am saying is the guy produced on a [BLEEP] team and it bothers me how a promising QB was treated poorly by the last staff and the current staff. All on the prayer that TLaw is going to be better. TL hasn't played a real down yet, why not keep the guy until we verify Trevor is the real deal when it counts? Just my .02. I don't want this team making poor decisions and that seems to be mostly we get from the Jags, mistakes.

I agree with you. For a 6th round pick who just made the roster, he did much more than you would expect. Yes he has his limitations but thats where you build around his strengths. You wouldnt use Brady like Lamar Jackson for example. But once we had Lawrence, that was it for Minshew here as a starter. 

He was treated so badly last year by Marrone and he seemed to try and pin all these teams failures on Minshew. We didnt need to tank last year, we were that bad. The FO let Calais and Bouye go when we didnt need to, Fournette left and won a SB. 

Beathard is ok but the Niners were desperate at QB when Jimmy G went down and Shanahan used Mullins just as much which tells you something. If you cant do it in a Shanahan O then...well damn.

I felt Minshew was a solid #2 and his contract was peanuts that let you spend cap elsewhere. Its over, hes gone, but getting a 6th round pick back for him when thats where we drafted him seems kinda nuts. Wouldnt be surprised to see Philly trade him if they are sold on Hurts to a QB needy team.

(This post was last modified: 08-30-2021, 06:24 PM by mal234. Edited 3 times in total.)

(08-29-2021, 09:45 PM)JAGFAN88 Wrote: I think Urban fell for the Minshew magic and sat him down said cut your hair and take this serious and ill give ya a shot at being the starter, and when its said and done and i name Tlaw the starter i will get you a chance to be the starter at another team. Eagles would be a place he could become the starter cause i really dont think hurts is that good.

I think that something along these lines happened. Urban said yesterday he actually "choked up" a bit when he saw Gardner in his office the other day and they talked about him being traded. Urban said he wasn't originally sure if Gardner still wanted to be Jag because they had the #1 pick and were trading for Lawrence. But he grew to care for him. I think that Urban is used to having close relationships with his player, especially with his background being a college coach and really getting to recruit and know players. I do believe he genuinely liked Gardner. 

And I think he treated Gardner very fairly and definitely much better than Doug Marrone did.  Who knows what type of situation Gardner could have ended up in if Doug were still the coach of this team. It may have been a bad one. Urban at least traded him to some place where he might get the chance to start eventually. 

Demetrius Harvey on Twitter: "(2/2) "...I'm not sure how much he wanted to be here. And I get it, first overall pick, and he's a competitive maniac that guy, and I get it. And I told him for the rest of his life, 'count me as a big fan,' because he's what you want. He's a warrior, he's a competitor."" / Twitter

Also, I saw that Gardner was at Eagles practice today. He changed his number to #10 and seems to be getting to know his new teammates already. I hope things work out for him in Philly.

I love an underdog and I doubt there is a bigger one than Minshew out there (the closest thing is James Robinson). Last year was a shitshow which would have broken even Tom Brady. We had a defence that could not make a stop at all. We had perhaps the worst HC in the league, and an O-line with the worst OT-duo in the league. The interior line was decent when it was healthy which allowed JR to flourish. Still, the guy who won 5 Rookie of the Week awards the year before, in a season where he was thrown to the wolves after Foles' injury. If Minshew had been drafted higher, he would have been a lock on RotY. Last year was terrible, but not because of Minshew.

That being said, his time in Jax was over the moment the Jets won those last few games. UM might have said there was a QB competition, but everyone knew that was just smoke. The signing of CJ was a signal that we were getting rid of Minshew. I am disappointed that we could not get more compensation. Eagles get a proven QB for pennies, and he is a nice piece to have in case Hurts falters and fall through. I am not sold that Flacco will be the 2nd string once Minshew learns the playbook, and I hope Minshew is given a fair chance to compete. We all knew that would not happen here.