Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
This Week In The AFC South-Week 1

(09-08-2021, 11:48 AM)snowwolf776 Wrote: tiittians

colts

Jags

0-3 for me this week.

snowwolf titans owner in madden.

note titans owner means im undeafted againest them. 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(09-08-2021, 10:22 AM)Bullseye Wrote: Last year, the loathsome and detestable Titans won the AFC South, and were once again, mercifully bounced from the playoffs before doing any real damage.  The Colts finished in second place, making the wildcard.  Like the Titans, they, too were mercifully knocked out after a good showing against Buffahole.  After a series of boneheaded trades that directly sapped the team of much needed talent like  WR DeAndre Hopkins, and indirectly chased away talent like J,J. Watt and QB DeShaun Watson, the Texans crashed and burned from the playoffs in 2019 to 4-12 last year.  In many ways, this follows the path set by the Jaguars, who traded away guys like Jalen Ramsey, Yannick Ngakoue, and Calais Campbell, causing a signifigant talent and morale drain, leading to last year’s last place 1-15 season.

However, change has come to the AFC South this year.  Ads you might imagine, bottoming out at 1-15 led to changes in the front office, coaching staff, and on the roster.  Gone are Tom Coughlin and Dave Caldwell from the front office, replaced by Baalke.  Doug Marrone was fired and replaced by former dynamic college coach Urban Meyer.  But perhaps the best thing for Jaguars fans was that last year’s 1-15 finish, coupled with two inexplicable wins by the Jets, resulted in the Jaguars landing the first pick overall in the draft, which they used to take Clemson QB Trevor Lawrence, who has been commonly described as a “generational” QB prospect, drawing pre draft comparisons to John Elway and Andrew Luck.  To the chagrin of the rest of the deivision, the Texans fired GM/Head coach Bill O’Brien and replaced him with a long time assistant in Culley.  However, unlike the Jaguars, they didn’t have any high draft picks to revitalize their roster due to the trade for LT Laremy Tunsil.  This was most unfortunate for the Texans, because their current franchise signal caller, DeShaun Watson, is not likely to play for the Texans again for myriad reasons.  First, the Texans organizational dysfunction alienated him beyond the point of repair, and he has demanded a trade.  On top of that, Watson finds himself in significant legal peril, as some 22 women have alleged sexual misconduct on his part, with criminal charges possible down the road, which has hindered the Texans’ effort to trade him.  Indy could not escape the impact of change, as QB Phillip Rivers retired to be replaced by Carson Wentz and LT Anthony Castonzo being replaced by Eric fisher-eventually/  Tennessee represents the closest thing to stability of the four teams, but they too are not without their changes.  They lost offensive coordinator Arthur Smith to the Falcons, completed the revamp of their secondary by adding Caleb Farley, added an edge rusher with free agent Bud DuPree, and traded for future Hall of Fame WR Julio Jones.

As for my predictions, I am coming off a good year by my standards.  I can only hope I can improve upon my performance from last year.  Hopefully my Jaguars can improve as well.  They can’t get much worse.

On to this weeks picks…

Jaguars (0-0) at Texans (0-0)-  The Texans announced journey QB Tyrod Taylor will be the week one starting QB against the Jaguars.  While Taylor has experience, his history shows he is risk averse to a fault.  Fans who have followed him like his relative lack of turnovers, but lament the fact he almost never attacks downfield enough to their liking.  He doesn’t seem to have much help on the team.  Ingram comes over from Baltimore.  He has some mileage, and isn’t a particularly explosive back.  The one WR of note is the speedy but fragile and diminutive Brandin Cooks.  They added former Chiefs and Jaguars WR Chris Conley, and recently added former Patriot Amendola.  Their OL is experienced, but outside of Laremy Tunsil is largely ineffective.  Defensively, they have been stripped bare due to defections (J.J. Watt), trades (Clowney, Lawson, McKinney), and poor drafting.  They have reverted to a 4-3 scheme after years in a 3-4, with Lovie Smith running a Tampa 2.  It may be as much out of necessity as anything, because there doesn’t seem to be much speed in their secondary.  Meanwhile, the Jaguars have added Trevor Lawrence, who has shown promise throughout the preseason, Marvin Jones, and a new offensive scheme on offense, and a blitz heavy 3-4 defense featuring more beef up front and more speed in the secondary.  Can the Jaguars give adequate protection to Trevor Lawrence?  Can Lawrence correctly read the zone defenses?  Can the Jaguars hold up better against the run than they did last year?  At least for this week, the answers to all three of these questions are “yes.”  Jaguars win 23-17.

Seattle (0-0) at Indy (0-0)  The recent vintage Colts have had a good defense, but not one that was particularly scary to me.  However, if Kwity Paye is as I predicted and as advertised, they will have a dominant edge rusher who, paired with DeForest buckner, could add that scary element and take their defense to another level.  Reports are he has been unblockable in camp and preseason.  The Colts will need him at his best, because Russell Wilson is great.  Meanwhile, Wentz is behind a banged up OL.  While Nelson should be okay for the opener, who will play LT?  Seattle wins 27-21.

Arizona (0-0) at Tennessee (0-0)  The Tacks have some uncertainty at RT, which may pose some problems against Chandler Jones.  But the tacks have too much firepower for Arizona to stop.  The Cardinals have no answer for the Tennessee WR duo of AJ Brown and Julio Jones.  I don’t think they hold up well against the rushing of Derrick Henry, even though they have a very athletic LB corps.  Tennessee wins 31-20.

This week:  1-2.  While the loss to the Texans was nauseating, Seattle came through as predicted, while Tennessee getting their [BLEEP] kicked at home by Arizona was a pleasant surprise.  On to next week.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

1-2.

Houston, repeat HOUSTON leads the AFC South. Gotta admit, kinda makes me chuckle.

(09-08-2021, 07:19 PM)KodiakJag Wrote: Jags
Colts
Titans

Jags looking as bad as they did was the icing on an 0-3 start.
"We believe in victory!"   - Gus Bradley
"I don't want to believe.  I want to know."   - Carl Sagan

(09-09-2021, 08:47 AM)Mikey Wrote: Hooray Bullseye, thank you for the comprehensive offseason summary. It does help when considering how different each team may be from the last time we saw them. On to the prognostications!

tinhorns 17 Duval 15 - I expect us to lean heavily into the run game early. Trevor impresses, but a rookie mistake bites us in the hiney. Horns sneak away  with an ugly win, but Jag fans know the wins will start coming. (I hope I get this one wrong!!)

Sea 30 horseshoes 10 - I like Indy's D, but they will get gassed if the offense sputters repeatedly. Does Wilson need to start proving he's not over the hill and worth his fat contract?

tacks 27 cards 20 - I really think AZ is built for track meets. If they can't stop Henry, it will be a long day for them. Tannehill is good enough to pick up the slack when Henry needs a breather. (I'd be ok with getting this one wrong, too!)

2-1, as usual screwed by the tacks. I'll give AZ credit, they whomped em good, I think that's the way you have to beat the tacks, get a lead and make them pass to beat you. Doesn't hurt when your star DL walks away with FIVE sacks...criminy.

(09-08-2021, 10:59 AM)unf_nashvillian Wrote: Jaguars over Texans
Seahawks over Colts
Titans over Cardinals

1-2 this week
We learned in the Sunday School who made the sun shine through.  I know who made the moonshine too, back where I come from.

(09-09-2021, 08:53 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Jags
seachicken
flaming thumb-tacks

1-2
Undecided

(This post was last modified: 09-13-2021, 05:24 PM by TLawIsEnforced.)

(09-08-2021, 04:17 PM)TLawIsEnforced Wrote: Jags Hawks Cards, please, oh, please, great and merciful football Gods!
Should have followed logic and picked Texans but thought TLaw might have been able to make a game of it but the Meyer struck and we saw the results!!!
2-1 is okay

(09-11-2021, 01:01 PM)Kane Wrote: Jags
Hawks
tacks

Well.... 1-2 here we go. Stinking tacks can't do nothing right

I blanked on this whole thing, so I guess I’ll abstain, but I always love these threads.

My Titans looked like hot garbage.

(09-13-2021, 07:58 PM)Psychop1 Wrote: I blanked on this whole thing, so I guess I’ll abstain, but I always love these threads.

I am thrilled but stunned it turned out the way it did, especially with Lewan, of all people, giving up those sacks.  I thought it would be the RT if anyone did.  But I  also heard Derrick Henry was stopped 3 straight times near the goal line, which makes me think the whole line got whipped.

What are your thoughts on these things..and Julio Jones?

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(09-13-2021, 07:58 PM)Psychop1 Wrote: I blanked on this whole thing, so I guess I’ll abstain, but I always love these threads.

no rule that says you have to pick every week, but this means you don't get a bye in midseason.

Yeah, I guess the cards needed to wear teal for the tacks to show up, huh?

I guess I missed out on this one. I didn't notice we were picking. I would've gone 1-2 so it's no big loss for me. I would've almost bet my life we would've beaten the Texans. That was supposed to be the easiest game on our schedule by a mile. I also was sure that Tennessee would wipe the floor with Arizona, but they looked awful! Is Arizona's defense that good or is the Tennessee O-Line that bad? Either way, I'm glad to see Taylor Lewan get dominated. I hate that guy. Having Seattle over Indy was my only saving grace.

Ok, here is week 2 picks for me.....

Denver 32 Jacksonville 23

Cleveland 38 Houston 16

LAR 33 Indianapolis 23

Seattle 28 Tennessee 23

A bad week for the division as a whole.

If I had played, I would have been 0-fer 3.

(09-13-2021, 10:16 PM)Bullseye Wrote:

I am thrilled but stunned it turned out the way it did, especially with Lewan, of all people, giving up those sacks.  I thought it would be the RT if anyone did.  But I  also heard Derrick Henry was stopped 3 straight times near the goal line, which makes me think the whole line got whipped.

Yeah, the whole line got beat bad. Henry was getting cut down in the backfield often. Julio dropped three passes. Not a good look. Didn’t look like a team that was even somewhat prepared.

2-1 last week

Brownies
Tacks
Rams
Jags (yes, I said it)
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

for week 2 I will go with 

Browns

seahawks

Rams

Broncos

snowwolf titans owner in madden.

note titans owner means im undeafted againest them. 

(09-16-2021, 07:02 AM)Psychop1 Wrote:
(09-13-2021, 10:16 PM)Bullseye Wrote: I am thrilled but stunned it turned out the way it did, especially with Lewan, of all people, giving up those sacks.  I thought it would be the RT if anyone did.  But I  also heard Derrick Henry was stopped 3 straight times near the goal line, which makes me think the whole line got whipped.

Yeah, the whole line got beat bad. Henry was getting cut down in the backfield often. Julio dropped three passes. Not a good look. Didn’t look like a team that was even somewhat prepared.

A lot of that going around these days.

(This post was last modified: 09-16-2021, 12:47 PM by DTWD4∞.)

I can't really explain it, but I think the Division goes 1-3 this week. For some reason there is this ugly feeling in my gut that the dang Tacks are gonna win. Everyone else loses. Hopefully we at least look a little more organized this week. But I hope I get proved wrong on our game. As in we win.

2-1 last week. I see the whole division takings Ls this week.